• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
SOURCE: https://www.vg247.com/dungeon-encounters-impressions-deep-impressive-brilliant

Perhaps most importantly, he was director of two of the best games in the Final Fantasy series - 9 and 12, two wildly different games that are both incredible in their own right. Games are made by teams and we as an industry have a bad habit of crediting too much to those individual big names - but there is no denying that Hiroyuki Ito is a towering influence and one of the most important and clever game designers in Japan. If we set aside things like art and story, he is surely the most notable employee Square Enix now has. He is to FF's game design as Nobuo Uematsu is to its music; the grandmaster. Even the unstoppable force that is Tetsuya Nomura says he regards Ito as one of only four people he considers his "senior".

Looking at it, I'm acutely aware that this totally could've been a physical board game - such is the visual simplicity of it. I wonder if it was prototyped that way. Battles have minor flashes of animations to indicate spells and the like, but really it's all about looking at stats and meters, planning your next move to try to get ahead of the enemy and keep your party alive. A quote attributed to Leonado da Vinci posits that "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication", and Dungeon Encounters feels like a rare expression of that idea in a video game. Everything is stripped back to the bare minimum - but by doing that, the focus is shifted onto the very heart of the game.

Like much of Ito's design, Dungeon Encounters is deceptively simple at first, but the more that you play the more its depth is exposed to you. What hides beneath a simple game that'll just have you hammering the standard attack button for the first few floors suddenly becomes dynamic and thrilling. The design is delicately balanced in a way that's difficult to adequately describe - but it's constantly encouraging you to push outside of your comfort zone, to floors and zones where you're under-leveled but where the rewards are too good to resist. By the time you're about twenty floors into the dungeon, you're spinning several plates and doing some serious strategizing.

dungeon_encounters_1.jpg

Some good praise for the game in here

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
This was always a game that was going to live or die by its mechanics and it sounds incredible T.T Totally okay with the simplistic as long as there's a deep game underneath it all. Yup. Buying this as soon as i can

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Yeah because Ito is a fricking game design genius. He's just not quite the visionary needed for a magical SE like story on his own. He needs a co-director.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
its a fun game.

idk if i should keep it on active or switch back to wait for the latter floors.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
People ripped on this game during its debut, and it's going to be fascinating to watch people one by one fall in love with it.

It's pretty great, ton of fun.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
this looks so appropriate for a mobile platform, guess Switch is the closest to that. downloading now.

loving the character art.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yup, loaded it up last night for a quick look and ended up playing for a few hours. It hits basically every note that old school DRPGs like Wizardry hit minus the actual first person perspective.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Steam
Thanks

So about this game. How are we to interpret it in regard to Itou? Like, yes, it seems great from a systems PoV, but everything else? We're talking about a designer who was top shit in the 90s and early 2000s, then suddently dropped from the face of the earth for over a decade and a half, and now his first game is this. Does Square simply not trust the guy with more budget? Does someone on the admnistrative board hate him? I don't get it.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I'm gonna buy this simply to support my man Ito and hope that he gets another shot at a bigger game one day

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Thanks

So about this game. How are we to interpret it in regard to Itou? Like, yes, it seems great from a systems PoV, but everything else? We're talking about a designer who was top shit in the 90s and early 2000s, then suddently dropped from the face of the earth for over a decade and a half, and now his first game is this. Does Square simply not trust the guy with more budget? Does someone on the admnistrative board hate him? I don't get it.

The real question is: does he want to do big budget games?

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SQEX sent this to die. There are only 3 EN reviews on YouTube so far. No big outlets.

I'm finally gonna start it this weekend. Been hyped since it was announced.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching a review now and everyone should be forewarned about difficulty: if you have party members back at the "academy" you can resume with them to pick up fallen party members on the floors where you died. If you have no one stockpiled in the academy, you either lose all of your progress mapping the floors before you died OR you start the game over from the beginning but keep your earned party members' levels.
I'm paraphrasing from a review I just watched on YT. This should be mentioned with the heaping praise it's getting from some RPG enthusiasts. It's gonna be a wild, punishing ride if you're not patient and methodical. Still sounds like some trap elements are randomly placed and you might not have a way to see/react them before triggering them, which could wipe your current party.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You can tell the game is gonna be good because of Itou and the while the graphics are simple, they are elegant and clean. Even though it has a small budget, it was put together with care and a clear goal in mind -- it doesn't look like a game that just ran out of money 3/4 into development. Game looks like it has its shit together more than most of those EO-like dungeon crawlers in recent memory.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and Voice of Cards it's a hard choice. Both made by renown directors. And both have amazing art. I think I lean towards Voice of Cards though.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between this and Voice of Cards it's a hard choice. Both made by renown directors. And both have amazing art. I think I lean towards Voice of Cards though.
I really wish SQEX would've run a double game promo where you get both at a discounted price when each launches if you buy both. They're so much more intriguing to me than the traditional flagship JRPG franchises these days and I wish they'd do more to help these games find an audience.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this game gets more exposure. Great game for sure and highly recommend if you enjoy dungeon crawlers.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, this game kinda snuck up on me. I thought it was a simple-ish puzzle game and I thought the price tag was a bit steep. But now I see that it's a lot deeper than I thought and I'm pretty interested in this. I can't really afford it this week but I'll add it to my wishlist.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's fascinating that the less budget Square Enix gives to most of its games, the better they are.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks

It might be that he just didn't want to do bigger budget games anymore. But Square deciding to do more lower budget projects like Voice of Cards gave a window for him to return. I doubt there's any lack of trust or anything like that.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
With a title like that, I was expecting the piece to actually delve into the mechanics or at least something that couldn't be gleaned from the trailer. The game was intriguing from the reveal trailer with how barebones it was but I'm wary about paying $30 for it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game, but insinuating that it is even remotely on the same league of mechanical richness as SaGa Scarlet Grace is just totally insane. Like, insane to the point where the guy clearly hasn't played many of Square Enix's recent stuff to the point where they are in absolutely no position to even try to make those types of claims. NEO and SSG are both wildly beyond this in terms of mechanical complexity.

There's a few really nifty ideas in Dungeon Encounters, but it still falls well within the DRPG sub-genre, IMO, and there's really only a handful of key mechanics that are new and interesting, notably party management and how clearly-labeled events/encounters are.

SQEX sent this to die. There are only 3 EN reviews on YouTube so far. No big outlets.

I'm finally gonna start it this weekend. Been hyped since it was announced.

It was only announced recently. It will get reviews, but it is the type of thing that would be longer term word-of-mouth sales rather than a big launch, in any level of marketing or hype.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The real question is: does he want to do big budget games?
It might be that he just didn't want to do bigger budget games anymore. But Square deciding to do more lower budget projects like Voice of Cards gave a window for him to return. I doubt there's any lack of trust or anything like that.
yeah I get that. I don't need or want him to do AAA stuff. But like, it'd be nice if he did something on the scale of Octopath Traveler, you know? Something right up his alley, old-school-like.

Hopefully his next game is that.

Oct 25, 2017
I find it totally baffling that people credit all of the music to Uematsu when it is a bunch of classical pieces on electric guitar. There are zero original compositions on the entire OST.

Revolutionary Etude

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Flight of the Bumblebee

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Jetsun Mila

User requested ban
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
Ito directed FF 6,9 and 12 and these are basically the top 3 FF games for me so I really like his work. But 23€ is still a bit steep for a game with such a small budget, and I'm the guy who lives the "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a video game" mentality. Will def buy it when it gets a bit cheaper.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I didn't watch many videos of this game, but the article make it sound like this is another hidden gem like SaGa Scarlet Grace and I would be all for it if that's the case.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch many videos of this game, but the article make it sound like this is another hidden gem like SaGa Scarlet Grace and I would be all for it if that's the case.

It will definitely have word of mouth over years. Exploration is a blazingly fast DRPG with some really creative ideas and absolute transparency in event and battle triggers, while battles use the FF ATB system.

It isn't remotely as long as SSG, though.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I find it totally baffling that people credit all of the music to Uematsu when it is a bunch of classical pieces on electric guitar. There are zero original compositions on the entire OST.

Revolutionary Etude

- YouTube

Flight of the Bumblebee

- YouTube

Well shit, I recommended this game to a friend because of Uematsu. That's a bummer.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I watched some streams and I can't say it convinced me about buying this game. It might be because I'm not a fan of dungeon crawlers (except maybe Claduns Returns) but I wanted to give it a chance. But I cant, and the soundtrack is... bad; it's just covers of classical pieces with an electric guitar.

Nonetheless, if you play on PC, you should give a try to Erannorth Chronicles. Although different, its is kind of similar to DE. Both are simple games, made with a limited budget and they doesn't offer much outside of battles. But Erannorth is cheaper, seems to have more and it is easy be mod it. And I say that as someone who's not a fan, because like I said, you spend most of your time in battles and I want more of a RPG. However, if Dungeon Encounters picked your interest, maybe it will be the same for Erannorth Chronicles.

PS: the game is tagged as a roguelite, but that's not really the case, you can choose your difficulty or even create you own difficulty and permadeath is one of the available options.

Sardello

Oct 30, 2017
I've played this game almost 3 hours yesterday night after a session of 1 hour with Metroid Dread... and I've noticed I spent all this time on these barebones boards only after i looked at my watch.

Totally absorbed by what was going on and this is my 2021 "surprise of the year".

I'm in love with it.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. my first team got wiped just on Floor 4.
what do some of the battle numbers mean, some are numbers, some have letters as well.
i feel the ones with letter has a bit stronger enemies.
now i just have 3 people in the party and i ahve to back to floor 1 and grind a bit to lvl them up. but i don't have enough proficiency points to wear some of the gears. i shouldnt have walked on all those tiles.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Almost bought this for Ito, but I don't do dungeon crawlers like Wizardry or Etrian Oddyssey. Just not my vibe. Hope it does well though, SE needs to let Ito direct or co-direct big games again. The FFs he directed are still pretty much some of the best of the series.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to look into getting it. I'm a fan of Ito, but the initial trailer looked super budget to me. Reading the impressions, this totally looks like it's my thing.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. my first team got wiped just on Floor 4.
what do some of the battle numbers mean, some are numbers, some have letters as well.
i feel the ones with letter has a bit stronger enemies.
now i just have 3 people in the party and i ahve to back to floor 1 and grind a bit to lvl them up. but i don't have enough proficiency points to wear some of the gears. i shouldnt have walked on all those tiles.

The battle numbers/letters indicate what group of enemies you will encounter.

In your menu, go to the Battle Log. Let's say you have a tile in front of you that says "01." According to the battle log, you'll fight a Ghost and/or Wild Boar. It doesn't say how many of them you'll fight but you'll definitely fight those specific enemies.

I'm at Floor 15 and I came across a group of enemies that are way above my level. Almost wiped me until I ran away. So definitely pay attention to the battle tiles.

Battle log is very helpful for grinding. There are some enemies that drop items that can permanently increase your HP/PP. Knowing which enemies do so via the battle log can help you hunt them down.

TFJ

Aug 9, 2019
Dungeon Encounters is cool enough to take the place of my avatar from Berwick Saga for now.

Traitor! Derrick is sad. (We need a thread about Berwick Saga) :P

It is indeed a hidden gem, but not on the level of SSG. But then, what game is?

Still, Dungeon Encounters is highly recommended if you enjoy Wizardry-like games.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Does it play as janky as Voice of Cards, that Demo really turned me off

not a lot of love for FF12 but 6 and 9 are GOATs

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
The battle numbers/letters indicate what group of enemies you will encounter.

In your menu, go to the Battle Log. Let's say you have a tile in front of you that says "01." According to the battle log, you'll fight a Ghost and/or Wild Boar. It doesn't say how many of them you'll fight but you'll definitely fight those specific enemies.

I'm at Floor 15 and I came across a group of enemies that are way above my level. Almost wiped me until I ran away. So definitely pay attention to the battle tiles.

Battle log is very helpful for grinding. There are some enemies that drop items that can permanently increase your HP/PP. Knowing which enemies do so via the battle log can help you hunt them down.
thanks!

just found a random person. checked the composition and he wasn't wandering. just there. so i backtracked to the spot they are on and got a 4th party. nice to possibly not die but everyone in the composition page are all dead. lol