• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thankful this got bumped as would likely have missed this otherwise. Haven't backed anything in a long time (Distance) but Dungeon Defenders brings back solid memories of dumping hours in with friends. Will likely go for the $75 pledge, having this on the Switch would be great.

Is the online multiplayer on the Switch going to be with randoms or friends only?

Lawlta

Producer at Chromatic Games
Verified
Mar 4, 2019
Gainesville, FL
Hey everyone, it's great to see a ton of posts on this! I'm at GDC right now so when I get a chance I'll respond to everything I can. <3

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Still wondering if the Switch online multiplayer has matchmaking? If you can play with randoms online then I'm all the way in for the pledge.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Second flex goal is about to be reached any minute now (new challenge maps), next step is Massacre difficulty!
11 days left before the end of the kickstarter.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I hope they can get the hero combat more fluent, from the gifs it looks like its an exact copy which is... not great. Anyways, alone the fact that it tries to be more of the original DD has me excited already.

Lawlta

Verified
Mar 4, 2019
Gainesville, FL
Alright, returned from GDC, finally have some time to respond :). Let's go!

Wow, so what happen at Trendy ? They won a $40 million lawsuit when they sued the Ark dev, they took the money and sold the IP ?

One of the original founders (Augi Lye) bought 100% of the company. We are no longer owned by any investors, so every decision and result is that of the internal studio now. There are a few articles that cover this if you want more of a deep dive.

Congrats on hitting the goal Lawlta. And with plenty of time still to go so hopefully that total creeps up some more!

Thanks so much! It's been a wild ride so far, we're happy to see the amount of support and really positive messages we've received! <3

Somehow missed this, I have so much good memories of the first game playing coop with my brother, I even paid for the Alpha of 2 but that one didn't grab me as much. (Still have about 40 hours)
Excited to see what they'll bring for Awakened, I'm in for the companions tier.

Thanks for backing us! We've been hard at work for a short while now, and we're ramping up after getting funded. There's a lot we're doing that we can't wait to share! :)

Is DD2 still being updated? That was in early access wasn't it? Who's managing that game now?

Anyway, this looks very prodding! I loved DD1 but skipped 2 (seems to be a running theme).

Yes, I'm part of the team that is working on both DDA and DD2 currently. With our transition to being Chromatic, we wanted to provide a very player-centric update that provided a lot of things players have been asking for. Here's some of the info for our next update coming soon!

We totally need Massacre difficulty, haha.
Good luck for the rest of the campaign!

We're so close, no doubt we'll get there, and thank you for the luck! ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

This is the only game I've ever kickstarted.

That's awesome, we won't let you down! :)

I have no hard proof for this, but I think I might have been the final user to get the Early Giraffe pledge bundle. Loved DD back in the day and the pack was sitting at "1 out of 2000" available, seemed like fate so I had to go for it.

"When life gives you a giraffe, you take the giraffe." - Alyssa Milano, "Who's the Boss" Season 3, Episode 5. Thanks for the support! <3

Loved DD1, we only played split screen on it, never got into DD2 because of this, i'll definetely get this on switch.

It was so exciting to plan the defenses with people by your side, even though it sucked when you lost at the last wave and wasted almost an hour defending the crystals, so i just can suggest a mid point save system but with extra treasures or rewards if you manage to defend the level in one go (hardcore mode?), to encourage replayability and reduce frustation when losing.

Dungeon Defenders: Awakened will also have co-op splitscreen (up to four players)!

So regarding this system, in Dungeon Defenders II we implemented a "Replay From Wave" system that allowed you to start back from a failed wave, with all your defenses built back up. You then see indicators of which defenses were destroyed, and which ones may have not been effective. This is something we're considering bringing to Dungeon Defenders: Awakened to help make sure that 30 minute setup and progression isn't just lost. We're still in the design stage of these things. :)

Is there another way to back this? I can't seem to get into my Kickstarter account.

We're going to be providing backing options after the Kickstarter as well. We're starting with Kickstarter and wanted to make sure that we allowed people to back if they weren't able to during the Kickstarter campaign (RIP PayPal). This will allow backing with more payment options (un-RIP PayPal).

I have over 100 hours in DD1 but hated DD2. This looks like a real return to form and im really excited!

Hopefully it can recapture the magic of the first game.

We've got our magic net out and are capturing as much as we can, and then cranking it up to 11. :)

This thread forget to mention they confirmed cross-saves (game is playable offline and split-screen too) and will try to get cross-play working too from what I remember in their latest stream.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!! Cross-saves between all platforms is a big thing we're excited about (is there any other RPG that does this currently?) and we're working towards making sure it's an awesome experience. :)

Man I loved the first game me and my brother spent countless hours perfecting our defenses in each map. Will definitely support this thanks for the thread

Thanks for the support and hopefully you and your brother are able to rekindle that Defender spirit! :) <3

Pardon the question but this will not requirr an online connection to play right?

There will be online and offline play, so you will not require an online connection for offline play. :)

Really like the first one, but never bothered with the second. Hope it has local co op.

Local co-op, with up to four players!

Wait the original studio lost the rights to dungeon defenders? What happened there..it feels like just last week I got a spam email from them about dungeon defenders 2 or something..

We touch on that a little bit here, and there's some other info sprinkled around as well. :)

Wicked thanks!
One thing i wamted to ask (on mobile stm and i am stroct with my bandwidth use xo) hownwill character creation be like? Can ee choose skintone of our character etc.?

We're currently making sure you can do the color customization as it was in the original Dungeon Defenders. We want to add more options past that, but no info we can get out currently. :)

Lawlta

Verified
Mar 4, 2019
Gainesville, FL
Thankful this got bumped as would likely have missed this otherwise. Haven't backed anything in a long time (Distance) but Dungeon Defenders brings back solid memories of dumping hours in with friends. Will likely go for the $75 pledge, having this on the Switch would be great.

Is the online multiplayer on the Switch going to be with randoms or friends only?

We're still in the development phases, but we want to have a session browser to find others to play with (either your friends and/or random players), and potentially match making as well. There's a lot we're going to be experimenting with as we continue development that we'll provide updates on, but this early we aren't able to give any specifics.

Might be a stupid question, but what are you guys doing at GDC? Are you actually showing off the game early or anything?

It is way too early to go to a conference showing anything off. We went more to bolster the team, learn more about emergent technologies related to game systems, and meet with various companies, studios, and people on ways to make our game the best it can be for our players. :)

I hope they can get the hero combat more fluent, from the gifs it looks like its an exact copy which is... not great. Anyways, alone the fact that it tries to be more of the original DD has me excited already.

There's a little "WIP" in the bottom left to indicate this is not by any means a final product (except how beautiful Deeper Well looks compared to the original, that's pretty close to final). We want the combat to feel fluid and really get back to the heart of tower defense! :)

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
There's a little "WIP" in the bottom left to indicate this is not by any means a final product (except how beautiful Deeper Well looks compared to the original, that's pretty close to final). We want the combat to feel fluid and really get back to the heart of tower defense! :)
Oh Im aware of that, it just stuck out the most to me and its hard to tell if that is something that is going to get changed. :P
Thats great to hear though. :)

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Thanks for answering my question Lawlta. I also hope to be able to get the early bird price as I'd love to get a good deal on one of the higher tiers.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Update : The project just reached 350k! Say hello to the Massacre difficulty!
With 5 days left, I wish the team good luck for the rest of the campaign, would be nice to hit another flex goal ;)

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats on hitting 450k! Glad to see the campaign was such a success. Hopefully we pick up some more of the devs allow slacker backers via PayPal.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarter is over, I'm glad we could reach the 450k goal.
Congrats to the team and good luck making the game! Now the long wait until beta/release begins, haha.