• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
011b640c406d05b3b475e1dc5527d382_original.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chromaticgames/dungeon-defenders-awakened

New Indie studio Chromatic Games attained the rights to Dungeon Defenders.

PITCH

"We're taking the core gameplay of the original Dungeon Defenders, its amazing content, its physics-bending charm, and we're mixing all of them together in a brand-new game set after the events of Dungeon Defenders II. Travel back in time to when and where it all began: with the four young heroes banding together in their parents' castle — only this time, they face a time-altering menace who could reshape the past, present, and future of Dungeon Defenders."

CORE FEATURES

"Creating a uniquely nostalgic, charming, and modern experience is our top priority. But how do we get there? With YOUR help, of course! We want you to be involved in the Chromatic development process, and we want to make this game for you, OUR MOST VALIANT DEFENDERS. UNREAL ENGINE 4: WE CURRENT GEN NOW, DEFENDERS! This opens up the possibility for unparalleled visuals, cross-platform support and faster development! FOUR PLAYER SPLIT SCREEN LOCAL MULTIPLAYER: This needs no description! NINTENDO SWITCH: Joy-Cons! Motion controls! Portability! Huzzah! NEW STORY: Travel back in time as our young Apprentice, Squire, Huntress and Monk thwart the Old Ones' latest scheme! NEW BOSSES: Sharpen your blades and magi-fy your staves, you're going to need it! IMPROVED ATTACKS: Slashing, slamming and shooting animations that pack a punch!"

Some GIFs

e2457415705dddbb42b80f7896d54d99_original.gif

c9ef3258a93ca9e3965811c312b3895e_original.gif

aa19c3ff85abd07d34528fe3a963923a_original.gif

I enjoyed the previous entries, so I'm curious to see where this new team takes the franchise.
Anyway it's better formatted on the actual Kickstarter page so check it out if you'd like.

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
Got really addicted to the first game, but never went back for the second. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
If this isn't a online only game like the second one was I might be interested. First one wasn't too bad and had a huge amount of content.

OP
OP
chirt

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Got really addicted to the first game, but never went back for the second. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Yea, seems like no F2P this time and no MTX too which is a huge plus in my eyes.
I've always loved TD games since the Warcraft mods days, so I like seeing new takes on it.

Lawlta

Producer at Chromatic Games
Verified
Mar 4, 2019
Gainesville, FL
Hey everyone,

A buddy sent me over here saying that our Kickstarter got posted here. I'm a producer over at Chromatic Games working on Dungeon Defenders: Awakened. I'm super busy at the moment, but I'd love to answer any question that I can! :)

(I don't know if there's a way to verify for mods, but if there is, I'd be happy to provide whatever is needed)

Liezerota

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I used to love Dungeon Defenders, specifically that one class who had like towers from the main 4 guys or whatever? He'd place a present and then it'd turn into a random tower of that tier... But they were stronger than the original classes and you could buff them up real nicely, he had this slot machine that would like wipe out every enemy on the field/slow time/etc... I'd absolutely play a new dungeon defenders if it had that class again.

Lawlta

Verified
Mar 4, 2019
Gainesville, FL
I used to love Dungeon Defenders, specifically that one class who had like towers from the main 4 guys or whatever? He'd place a present and then it'd turn into a random tower of that tier... But they were stronger than the original classes and you could buff them up real nicely, he had this slot machine that would like wipe out every enemy on the field/slow time/etc... I'd absolutely play a new dungeon defenders if it had that class again.

Sounds like you're talking about the Jester! We can't say specifically what our exact plans are yet regarding heroes, but we really want to capture the magic of the original Dungeon Defenders, and this sounds pretty original Dungeon Defenders magical.

Liezerota

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Sounds like you're talking about the Jester! We can't say specifically what our exact plans are yet regarding heroes, but we really want to capture the magic of the original Dungeon Defenders, and this sounds pretty original Dungeon Defenders magical.
Yup! That's it, I absolutely loved Jester, and basically played the entire game just for Jester when it came out. I'd absolutely love if there was an iteration of it in your game, and that'd be instant support from me... I need Dungeon Defender back in my life, but haven't been playing since the original devs dropped support for DDE.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Never played the first one, but played quite some of the second one and I enjoyed it. A lot more than my friends... who didnt want to go abck after a while :P

Cant wait to see what happens with this one, eager for a new TD game.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
It's a real small nitpick but one of the things 2 was missing from 1 was more of the personality of the characters. I used to love spamming the ping button in part one and seeing the characters wave and say heeeyooooo.

Small things like that were sorely missing from the second game so I hope stuff like that makes it back.

Lawlta

Verified
Mar 4, 2019
Gainesville, FL
It's a real small nitpick but one of the things 2 was missing from 1 was more of the personality of the characters. I used to love spamming the ping button in part one and seeing the characters wave and say heeeyooooo.

Small things like that were sorely missing from the second game so I hope stuff like that makes it back.
This is what we're 100% about, getting those little things that just add a ton of character and soul to the game!

Lawlta

Verified
Mar 4, 2019
Gainesville, FL
If this isn't a online only game like the second one was I might be interested. First one wasn't too bad and had a huge amount of content.
Sorry I missed this. It's not an online only game (though playing online is an option). We'll have offline local co-op, with up to four player split-screen. This is planned for all platforms we launch the game on.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
Wow, so what happen at Trendy ? They won a $40 million lawsuit when they sued the Ark dev, they took the money and sold the IP ?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow missed this, I have so much good memories of the first game playing coop with my brother, I even paid for the Alpha of 2 but that one didn't grab me as much. (Still have about 40 hours)
Excited to see what they'll bring for Awakened, I'm in for the companions tier.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Is DD2 still being updated? That was in early access wasn't it? Who's managing that game now?

Anyway, this looks very prodding! I loved DD1 but skipped 2 (seems to be a running theme).

OP
OP
chirt

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty pumped that Switch release is no longer a stretch goal and will be there from the start. I used to play a lot of tower defense games with my buddies, and most of them have Switches these days :)

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, weird that Dungeon Defenders of all games managed to raise that much money in so little time as a Kickstarter in 2019.

OP
OP
chirt

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, weird that Dungeon Defenders of all games managed to raise that much money in so little time as a Kickstarter in 2019.

It has always been one of those games that low-key has a rather large, dedicated fan base. Kinda like Football Manager (which I also play).
Hopefully the Kickstarter doing so well puts it on other people's radar.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I loved playing Dungeon Defenders 1 co-op with my brother. Only problem was some of the later levels felt straight up impossible with just 2 players.

I tried 2 but dropped it after playing an hour. I don't remember what I didn't like about it (or much of anything about that game for that matter).

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I have no hard proof for this, but I think I might have been the final user to get the Early Giraffe pledge bundle. Loved DD back in the day and the pack was sitting at "1 out of 2000" available, seemed like fate so I had to go for it.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of my first games I played when I got into PC gaming, ended up putting 500hrs into it in the end. Happy to see it back to form after the disappointing sequel. Looking forward to grabbing it when it goes into release.

Ashgar

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'd miss some of the DLC heroes if I had to go all the way back to the start. The Barbarian and the Robot were pretty fun, but the Jester was kind of dumb and I won't miss it if it never returns. I wasn't really still playing the game by the time the Summoner came out.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Loved playing the first game on 360. Sequel was a mess. Definitely interested in this though.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I still enjoy several of the new classes in dd2, like the mystic and the Druid. Some of the new towers for the returning folks were nice as well.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adored DD1. Definitely going to be picking this up when it launches.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
Loved DD1, we only played split screen on it, never got into DD2 because of this, i'll definetely get this on switch.

It was so exciting to plan the defenses with people by your side, even though it sucked when you lost at the last wave and wasted almost an hour defending the crystals, so i just can suggest a mid point save system but with extra treasures or rewards if you manage to defend the level in one go (hardcore mode?), to encourage replayability and reduce frustation when losing.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have over 100 hours in DD1 but hated DD2. This looks like a real return to form and im really excited!

Hopefully it can recapture the magic of the first game.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This thread forget to mention they confirmed cross-saves (game is playable offline and split-screen too) and will try to get cross-play working too from what I remember in their latest stream.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I really like tower defense games, especially action ones like Orcs Must Die!, but I never got into the original Dungeon Defender.

Just seemed like one of those games built around the co-op at the expense of a single player experience.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I really like tower defense games, especially action ones like Orcs Must Die!, but I never got into the original Dungeon Defender.

Just seemed like one of those games built around the co-op at the expense of a single player experience.
You have the same amount of ressource co-op or not, you can switch heroes at build phase, so the co-op only give you harder difficulty and more/better ennemies/loots.
One of the popular strategy back then was simulating multiple players with one PC so you can make the game spawn the highest number of monsters.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
Man I loved the first game me and my brother spent countless hours perfecting our defenses in each map. Will definitely support this thanks for the thread

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait the original studio lost the rights to dungeon defenders? What happened there..it feels like just last week I got a spam email from them about dungeon defenders 2 or something..

OP
OP
chirt

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Pardon the question but this will not requirr an online connection to play right?

You can play offline

Really like the first one, but never bothered with the second. Hope it has local co op.

It does have local co-op

Wait the original studio lost the rights to dungeon defenders? What happened there..it feels like just last week I got a spam email from them about dungeon defenders 2 or something..

This studio is made up of a lot of the previous studio

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
You can play offline

It does have local co-op

This studio is made up of a lot of the previous studio
Wicked thanks!
One thing i wamted to ask (on mobile stm and i am stroct with my bandwidth use xo) hownwill character creation be like? Can ee choose skintone of our character etc.?