• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is your favourite character?

• Paul Atreides

Votes: 336 37.9%
  • Duncan Idaho

Votes: 246 27.7%
  • Alia Atreides

Votes: 67 7.6%
  • Leto II

Votes: 165 18.6%
  • Darwi Odrade

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Miles Teg

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Other (specify in thread and why)

Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I'm 200 pages in, and the attack on the keep have still not happened. One of the things I dislike about Denis' movie is how we barely spent any time with the characters before they are taken from us, and how quickly the invasion is dealt with. Also wish they had dealt more with Yueh and his conditioning. Just one of a few problems I have with the movie currently. I can't get myself to love it. I don't hate it, I just find it decent.

This is something I thought the old Sci-Fi miniseries did rather well. While it opens with them already en-route to Arrakis, and we never actually see Caladan, at least it gets them established on Arrakis and includes the banquet scene. I can see why it's cut given the structure Denis went with (and the fact that any exposition in it would have been wasted had Part 2 not been green-lit), but overall the first movie leaves the second film in a precarious position of making the final act harder to care about without the proper political setup.

I honestly actually liked the characterization of Jessica in the miniseries more than in the film too, though I have no idea which is more true to the novel since I'm just now about to start reading it for the second time after two decades.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I read the sequels (in 2019), so I need to ask, how come Alia can see into her male ancestry (Baron), wasn't that only a thing the kwisatz haderach could do? (Since reverend mothers can only see into the female ancestry) Or does this have to do with her being preborn, an abomination? I legit can't remember.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
It's been a while since I read the sequels (in 2019), so I need to ask, how come Alia can see into her male ancestry (Baron), wasn't that only a thing the kwisatz haderach could do? (Since reverend mothers can only see into the female ancestry) Or does this have to do with her being preborn, an abomination? I legit can't remember.

It has been a while but if I remember correctly, she can see into her male ancestry just as a kwisatz haderach, but from the womb. The lack of self-control (as opposed to Paul who had a somewhat normal human life and established psyche before turning KW) is a contributing factor to the Baron's ancestral memory overwhelming her.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

It's not really explained, more like some soft retcons as the series went on.

As depicted in the first book, she (and Jessica) only received memories passed down through the ritual of becoming a reverend mother, not necessarily ancestral memories (though those existed too in a sort of instinctual form and sudden insights). Still countless generations, millennia worth of reverend mothers.

It's never mentioned that Paul gained ancestral memories, by the way. In the first book, his own private ritual was a solo flight--nobody to pass knowledge to him.

In the second book, suddenly the twins get ancestral memories from birth (without any ritual) and are fully aware just because.

In the third book, suddenly both Alia and the twins have memories from both male and female ancestors. The ritual is to be feared because Abomination.

I don't at this time recall the first time it's mentioned that Reverend Mothers gain ancestral memories, and only from the female side. They mention only female memories in the first book, but, again, those are shared, not ancestral.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I thought the Reverend Mothers specifically withdrew from the "male" side of memories, because something something danger. Like the BG just had a mandate that the male side was a bad idea lol

The gender views in Dune are kinda ehh. Like on one hand the BG are arguably the biggest power in the universe being involved in all the politics, being space ninjas, etc, on the other hand you've got stuff like this where the men are still required for achieving the 'perfect' human for some reason as if there is something intrinsic in a man that makes them greater. And then it'll be like, oh yea but women make better soldiers because essentially 'women mature faster than men' or something. lol

Part 2 lets goooooooo

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I just take it as Alia being unstable or having a lack of self control, thus the Baron could invade on her mind.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I just take it as Alia being unstable or having a lack of self control, thus the Baron could invade on her mind.
I thinks that likely due to the differences between her and Paul's time of change. He had 16 years in which to form an individual identity before being swarmed by the past. She had a couple months in the womb before becoming everyone. It would be far easier for a rogue memory stream to take over. Paul knew who Paul was. Alia never really had a moment of being Alia.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I thinks that likely due to the differences between her and Paul's time of change. He had 16 years in which to form an individual identity before being swarmed by the past. She had a couple months in the womb before becoming everyone. It would be far easier for a rogue memory stream to take over. Paul knew who Paul was. Alia never really had a moment of being Alia.
This makes a lot of sense, I'm gonna roll with it. Also, does Paul unlock his ancestral memories when drinking the water of life finally making him the complete kwisatz haderach? Before this he could see various futures but with the water of life he can now see through multiple pasts.

Last edited:

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
This makes a lot of sense, I'm gonna roll with it. Also, does Paul unlock his ancestral memories when drinking the water of life finally making him the complete kwisatz haderach? Before this he could see various futures but with the water of life he can now see through multiple ancestors pasts.

I don't think he does. Like, ever.

In the first book, he gains greater prescience. Ancestral memories are not mentioned for him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I interpreted Paul changing the water of life would go thorough the same Jessica went through when she changed the water of life.

Last edited:

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I don't think he does. Like, ever.

In the first book, he gains greater prescience. Ancestral memories are not mentioned for him.
yes he does. After he comes out of the spice coma after taking unmodifed water of life he is the kwisatz haderach. The very nature of it is being able to access both sides of his memory and predict the future.

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Kwisatz_Haderach"A Kwisatz Haderach would be a male Bene Gesserit who would have access to the memories of both his male and female ancestors as well as an ability to bridge space and time with prescient ability."

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
yes he does. After he comes out of the spice coma after taking unmodifed water of life he is the kwisatz haderach. The very nature of it is being able to access both sides of his memory and predict the future.

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Kwisatz_Haderach"A Kwisatz Haderach would be a male Bene Gesserit who would have access to the memories of both his male and female ancestors as well as an ability to bridge space and time with prescient ability."

This is how I understood it as well after reading the chapter.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
This makes a lot of sense, I'm gonna roll with it. Also, does Paul unlock his ancestral memories when drinking the water of life finally making him the complete kwisatz haderach? Before this he could see various futures but with the water of life he can now see through multiple pasts.
Yes.

Page 580 of the hardcover he admits it to his Mom. Right after she asks him where Alia is and he says shes killing enemy wounded, he says hes experienced billions of lifetimes.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

The first chapter has Mohiam saying, as they search inward, there is a place they cannot go, and they think a male can. It's associated with memory in the paragraph, yet the idea that they think a kwisatz haderach could access male ancestral memories is still just an idea and they have never achieved it so they don't really know. It's compelling, very compelling, but I do not recall any reference, in any book featuring Paul, in which he himself actually and demonstrably has genetic memories. Again, even Jessica's memories, gained in the first book, came from the Fremen reverend mother.

Yes.

Page 580 of the hardcover he admits it to his Mom. Right after she asks him where Alia is and he says shes killing enemy wounded, he says hes experienced billions of lifetimes.

This seems to be a reference to his visions of the future. The wording was "How would you like to have lived billions of lives?" If he's actually talking about genetic ancestral memories, then that's a silly thing to ask his reverend mother mother. He's clearly talking about something Jessica can't do, like see and live endless visions of her own future.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
The first chapter has Mohiam saying, as they search inward, there is a place they cannot go, and they think a male can. It's associated with memory in the paragraph, yet the idea that they think a kwisatz haderach could access male ancestral memories is still just an idea and they have never achieved it so they don't really know. It's compelling, very compelling, but I do not recall any reference, in any book featuring Paul, in which he himself actually and demonstrably has genetic memories. Again, even Jessica's memories, gained in the first book, came from the Fremen reverend mother.

This seems to be a reference to his visions of the future. The wording was "How would you like to have lived billions of lives?" If he's actually talking about genetic ancestral memories, then that's a silly thing to ask his reverend mother mother. He's clearly talking about something Jessica can't do, like see and live endless visions of her own future.

"Paul strained, hearing the silent screams of his cell stamped ancestors demanding he use the secret word to slow Feyd-Rautha to save himself."
Their goal was to make a male that could know the lives of all his ancestors. Hearing his cell stamped ancestors is pretty clear to me.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
"Paul strained, hearing the silent screams of his cell stamped ancestors demanding he use the secret word to slow Feyd-Rautha to save himself."
Their goal was to make a male that could know the lives of all his ancestors. Hearing his cell stamped ancestors is pretty clear to me.

I've seen passages you people wouldn't believe.

Cell-stamped ancestors off the shoulder of the Kwisatz Haderach.
I watched lasbeams glitter in the dark near the Memory Gate.

All those moments will be lost, like a book read years ago (but dozens of times, wtf).

Time to die.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

Always fun.

It occurs to me though, even Jessica had the "Adab" before her ordeal. Like, memory making demands of her before she really "had" it. Before her ordeal, that is. That's how she got through the Fremen ceremony.

This could be Adab for Paul (the situation of fighting for his life fits) and not fully accessible other memory. Seriously, I'm pretty sure there is no reference of Paul purposefully accessing ancestral memories in the way that his sister or children or present or future BG do.

I'm going to sleep, will be back tomorrow.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So Paul didn't experience other memories while taking the water of life, and thus can't see past experiences like Leto II and Jessica can? Or can he?

Also another thing is the Emperor plans on building a force as strong as the Sardaukar to place Feyd on the imperial throne, but does he want to use and train the Fremen (village people) as his soldiers or does he just want them as training fodder for his own soldiers? Is placing Feyd on the throne even his actual plan or just a bribe to get him to cooperate?

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
So Paul didn't experience other memories while taking the water of life, and thus can't see past experiences like Leto II and Jessica can? Or can he?

Also another thing is the Emperor plans on building a force as strong as the Sardaukar to place Feyd on the imperial throne, but does he want to use and train the Fremen (village people) as his soldiers or does he just want them as training fodder for his own soldiers? Is placing Feyd on the throne even his actual plan or just a bribe to get him to cooperate?

The Paul thing is the debate we left last night.

As for the Baron (not emperor), he doesn't actually want to use Arrakis like the Emperor uses Salusa. The Baron doesn't even know that the Sardaukar are raised and trained there. The Baron made the comment to Fenring in passing, like hey, maybe this could be a prison planet too, like Salusa! Lol! The thing abou the baron is that he is smart enough to have defeated the Atreides (with lots of help) but so dumb that he brushed up against one of the Emperor's most closely held secrets, joking about it with the Emperor's best friend/confidante/assassin, and he was clueless about it. He had absolutely no idea how much trouble he almost got himself in just then.

It was a moment of dramatic irony.

As for Feyd, sure, the Baron would love for Feyd to be emperor, and he begins to feel those ambitions in the book (after the Atreides are toast).
Hell, even then, he's showing off his nephew and boasting about him to the Fenrings, and they don't really give a fuck. They're there so that the Lady Fenring can try to salvage the bloodline for the breeding program. Suffering conversation with the Baron was incidental.

EDIT: I forgot, actually, Thufir explains all this to the Baron later on. So yes, the Baron sees possibilities in having a fighting force from Arrakis. He wants to position Feyd as their savior, with Rabban as the scapegoat.

Last edited:

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Opening and seeing this purple page:

59928666ab945a339f457bdc3937859b46cea68b.gifv

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: I forgot, actually, Thufir explains all this to the Baron later on. So yes, the Baron sees possibilities in having a fighting force from Arrakis. He wants to position Feyd as their savior, with Rabban as the scapegoat.
Yeah that's the chapter I keep coming back to. It really does sound like the Baron wants to build a force as strong as the saudarkar by using Arrakis as the Emperor uses Salusa Secundus.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's the chapter I keep coming back to. It really does sound like the Baron wants to build a force as strong as the saudarkar by using Arrakis as the Emperor uses Salusa Secundus.

It's not really important, though, except to show that the Baron really cannot hang with the rest of the smart people when it comes to palace intrigue. The idea wasn't his own, he was being led around like a donkey by Thufir at that point.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really important, though, except to show that the Baron really cannot hang with the rest of the smart people when it comes to palace intrigue. The idea wasn't his own, he was being led around like a donkey by Thufir at that point.
I think it makes me like the book more though, knowing that the Baron is aiming for the throne by ideas of Thufir, and that Paul is going for the throne. Makes me understand the Game of Thrones comparisons better, seeing that there are multiple factions going for the imperial throne. Or maybe the GoT comparisons are just that two houses are aiming to control Arrakis actually.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Getting a full trilogy out of this, with movie 3 done a few years later with an older Chalamet, would be amazing. Crossing my fingers...

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure Paul can see the past anymore. It's not mentioned anywhere and after changing the water of life he only talks about seeing the future and the now. Maybe he saw other memories during the change of the water, but I'm not sure he can see the past as how Leto II does it. But I'm still unsure. The way he talks to Jessica about seeing billions upon billions of lives could just as well be about seeing multiple future timelines as it can be seeing billions of pasts I guess.

[edit]
Okay. I actually think he can see the past through his ancestors. Like how Other Memory works. He can do that.

Oh hadn't seen this, interesting.

Last edited:

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I'm not sure Paul can see the past anymore. It's not mentioned anywhere and after changing the water of life he only talks about seeing the future and the now. Maybe he saw other memories during the change of the water, but I'm not sure he can see the past as how Leto II does it. But I'm still unsure. The way he talks to Jessica about seeing billions upon billions of lives could just as well be about seeing multiple future timelines as it can be seeing billions of pasts I guess.

Oh hadn't seen this, interesting.
Ya I think as the kwisatz haderach he had the ability to control/ignore the voices. Since all three pre-born were neither trained nor knowledgable about their change, they were more swayed by their past lifes. They didnt have a "self" to anchor them before they got the ability. But ya.. its kind of ambigous of it as Herbert wasnt explict with him imo.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
If we're just looking at the first book, "cell-stamped ancestors" could just be Adab, just like Jessica experienced/felt when she knew exactly what to say at the ritual before her ordeal.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
During my reread I didn't pick up at all that Count Fenring had developed inward instead of outward and thus is hidden from anyone with prescience. I did know he was a failed Kwisatz Haderach. This book is deep and I keep discovering stuff. I can't entirely remember, but wasn't the deal with Siona that she was hiding from prescience as well, or at least her genes were made to hide her bloodline down the line.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
During my reread I didn't pick up at all that Count Fenring had developed inward instead of outward and thus is hidden from anyone with prescience. I did know he was a failed Kwisatz Haderach. This book is deep and I keep discovering stuff. I can't entirely remember, but wasn't the deal with Siona that she was hiding from prescience as well, or at least her genes were made to hide her bloodline down the line.

Fenring is a weird case. A genetic dead-end, so that is probably why he isn't brought up later in the series when his qualities are necessary.

Siona was absolutely necessary for Leto II's entire plan, his entire purpose, all of it. The Scattering relies on the fact that those who Scatter can never be found. This way, no common disaster can reach all of humanity. Yes, she is invisible to prescients, and so are all of her descendants, and literally everyone that scatters must be her descendants, must also carry her invisibility, or else the whole millennia-long plan is moot.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Fenring is a weird case. A genetic dead-end, so that is probably why he isn't brought up later in the series when his qualities are necessary.

Siona was absolutely necessary for Leto II's entire plan, his entire purpose, all of it. The Scattering relies on the fact that those who Scatter can never be found. This way, no common disaster can reach all of humanity. Yes, she is invisible to prescients, and so are all of her descendants, and literally everyone that scatters must be her descendants, must also carry her invisibility, or else the whole millennia-long plan is moot.
Yeah, she was absolutely necessary. I really like her character, loved her attitude as well.

I wonder if the Messiah movie is a success if Legendary will continue adapting Children of Dune just with another director. I really want God Emperor of Dune to happen even though it's a hard one to adapt.

Last edited:

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know this. She was absolutely necessary. I really like her character, loved her attitude as well.

I wonder if the Messiah movie is a success if Legendary will continue adapting Children of Dune just with another director. I really want God Emperor of Dune to happen even though it's a hard one to adapt.

They're all hard to adapt.

I want Heretics. Let's see Teg eat all that soup. Soup for days.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017

[edit]

I just watched Dune again. And I'm quite enjoying it but it's slow and such a tease at what is to come. I wonder if they're gonna end the next movie with the fight against Feyd, cause it's similar to how they ended this one with Jamis. I also noticed that the Baron actually does talk about how much money he spent on the Arrakeen attack which I think is neat.

Last edited:

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
This is something I thought the old Sci-Fi miniseries did rather well. While it opens with them already en-route to Arrakis, and we never actually see Caladan, at least it gets them established on Arrakis and includes the banquet scene. I can see why it's cut given the structure Denis went with (and the fact that any exposition in it would have been wasted had Part 2 not been green-lit), but overall the first movie leaves the second film in a precarious position of making the final act harder to care about without the proper political setup.

I honestly actually liked the characterization of Jessica in the miniseries more than in the film too, though I have no idea which is more true to the novel since I'm just now about to start reading it for the second time after two decades.

The mini-series is probably closer, but essentially any Dune media that has a BG crying or other outward display of emotion they aren't completely in control of is off-base.

Jessica works in DVDune bc Rebecca Ferguson was superb at showing the steel under the silk, so to speak, but both Saskia Reeves and Alice Krige bring great versions to the role, especially highlighting how Jessica changes between Dune & Children.

Francesca Annis was as good a Jessica as she could be in the 1980s. She's pretty much relegated to the damsel in distress/dowager role.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Another question, at the end of Dune, Paul already sits on the throne and is the Emperor of the known universe. How come he needs to conquer planets in his conquest when he's already seemingly in control? Someone explained it being a local form of zensunnism where the Fremen wreak vengeance on a universe that forced their ancestors onto Arrakis in the first place. And was this covered in Messiah or some other book?

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Another question, at the end of Dune, Paul already sits on the throne and is the Emperor of the known universe. How come he needs to conquer planets in his conquest when he's already seemingly in control? Someone explained it being a local form of zensunnism where the Fremen wreak vengeance on a universe that forced their ancestors onto Arrakis in the first place. And was this covered in Messiah or some other book?

It's what the Fremen do.

They bring the universe to kneel before their prophet. This also strengthens his position, in addition to his only somewhat legitimate ascension to the throne. Remember, he took it by force in the first place, holding all of spice production hostage to marry that princess.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It's what the Fremen do.

They bring the universe to kneel before their prophet. This also strengthens his position, in addition to his only somewhat legitimate ascension to the throne. Remember, he took it by force in the first place, holding all of spice production hostage to marry that princess.
This makes sense! Also since he took the throne by force it would probably also make opponents of him, so making them kneel would gain him control.

It seems like they also considered other religions heresy and would thus go to war.

I'm gonna start my reread of Dune Messiah on Monday.

Last edited:

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I reread Dune Messiah recently and it did so much more for me than it did when I first read it 20 years ago. I think my teenage brain wanted cool space battles and shit. The sociopolitical commentary was also something that flew over my head, I'm sure.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I just read the jihad was part of the Golden Path as it was in need of a pacified galaxy, so is this the case? I never picked up that the jihad was needed for the Golden Path to happen.

I reread Dune Messiah recently and it did so much more for me than it did when I first read it 20 years ago. I think my teenage brain wanted cool space battles and shit. The sociopolitical commentary was also something that flew over my head, I'm sure.
Glad you liked it more on a reread!

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just sounds like somebody's theory. He'd have got the job done regardless.
Got it from a Reddit post. Apparently there's more about it on chapter 63 of Children of Dune. I'm gonna have to check it out on Monday.

11862916-1371-44a0-ahfjdb.jpeg

A Reddit poster explained it as this:

The Golden Path was always at risk of failure and absolutely not a sure thing, despite being somewhat averse to using prescience due to what happened to Paul in Messiah, Leto would continually check-in to make sure the Golden Path was still on track. So it definitely wasn't preordained by any stretch of the imagination. In the actual events of Dune, the Jihad precipitates the birth of Leto ll, who would become god emperor, but also the empire that Leto would shape. The jihad was necessary because it created a galaxy-encompassing empire that was far more centralized than the previous empire, which was the precarious "tripod" of the imperial throne, the Landsraad, and CHOAM, not even mentioning the Spacing Guild or the Bene Gesserit. Paul's empire had no legitimate political threats because it was also religious in nature, which allowed Leto to transition to full on totalitarianism. I think *this* is what was necessary, because only a long period of extremely totalitarian government would ensure humanity properly "learned their leasson."

Last edited:

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Got it from a Reddit post. Apparently there's more about it on chapter 63 of Children of Dune. I'm gonna have to check it out on Monday.

11862916-1371-44a0-ahfjdb.jpeg

A Reddit poster explained it as this:

The Golden Path was always at risk of failure and absolutely not a sure thing, despite being somewhat averse to using prescience due to what happened to Paul in Messiah, Leto would continually check-in to make sure the Golden Path was still on track. So it definitely wasn't preordained by any stretch of the imagination. In the actual events of Dune, the Jihad precipitates the birth of Leto ll, who would become god emperor, but also the empire that Leto would shape. The jihad was necessary because it created a galaxy-encompassing empire that was far more centralized than the previous empire, which was the precarious "tripod" of the imperial throne, the Landsraad, and CHOAM, not even mentioning the Spacing Guild or the Bene Gesserit. Paul's empire had no legitimate political threats because it was also religious in nature, which allowed Leto to transition to full on totalitarianism. I think *this* is what was necessary, because only a long period of extremely totalitarian government would ensure humanity properly "learned their leasson."

That makes sense, but still, it's explanation after the fact to justify the first book as leading up to the third and fourth.

If he wanted to, Frank Herbert could have written something like the fourth book first, had the Tyrant's super strict empire and everything, never once mentioned any Jihad, and nobody would bat an eye. (I mean, countless books begin with an alien empire already established, right?) There's thousands of years of Leto consolidating his power and enacting his plan that we don't see. The explanation of "the Jihad was necessary" just feels to me like an attempt to justify the first book still being important, perhaps because it feels very small and sooooo long ago by the time we get to the fourth.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can see where you are coming from.

Now I could envision a third movie and to make the adaptation of Dune Messiah that will complete Paul Atreides's story that I think would make sense. But each movie, those movies are monsters, and I can only do one at a time. If I survive Dune Part Two, then I might do the Messiah. When I start to think about that, I get tired. It's too much. I need to focus on one project at a time, to be honest. But Part Three will be...I'm making sure that Part Three will be doable.

Denis has a feeling that Part Two could end up at around the same runtime as Part One, so the 2:30 hour runtime. Of course the movie haven't been shot yet so it's hard to say.

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The jihad is not part of the golden path. The golden path is only ever a thing once Leto II sees it and decides to preserve it at all costs. Did it lead to the possibility? Absolutely, but you cannot say it is a part of it just because it came before. The golden path is the decision to follow it, not all that lead up to it's conception.

The universe here is not actually deterministic, these things were not fated but chosen. The power of human consciousness is not consciousness itself but the ability to conceive of an idea of complexity and work to achieve that it has become reality. Prescience is this ability made supernatural, scifi.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's where I originally came from, that it's not part of the Golden Path per se. And I'm back at that.

variety.com

Denis Villeneuve on Zendaya’s Role in ‘Dune: Part 2’ and Wanting to Direct an Adam McKay-Written Comedy

Awards Circuit Podcast: Denis Villeneuve on that "Dune" Oscar nom haul — except director. Also the Roundtable on the latest awards buzz.

"For Zendaya, I will say Part One was a promise. I know that we saw a glimpse of her in Part One, but in Part Two, she'll have a prominent part. We will follow Timothée [Chalamet] and Zendaya on their adventures in the desert. That's the thing that excited me most about going back to Arrakis is to spend time with those characters again."

There's one scene coming in "Dune Part Two" that Villeneuve acknowledges is very complicated to get right, saying, "It involves sandworms that's going to be one of the beautiful challenges of my life. And I know if I do it right, that will be the scene."
I wonder if he's talking about Paul's first wormride, or if it's the attack on Arrakeen involving the sandstorm.

Also, he's a fan of Florence Pugh.

Last edited: