• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is your favourite character?

• Paul Atreides

Votes: 336 37.9%
  • Duncan Idaho

Votes: 246 27.7%
  • Alia Atreides

Votes: 67 7.6%
  • Leto II

Votes: 165 18.6%
  • Darwi Odrade

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Miles Teg

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Other (specify in thread and why)

Votes: 47 5.3%

• Total voters

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty fun to look at book covers in other countries, seeing what the titles were translated to and the weird and creative art that is used, love the cheesy and pulpy scifi art that was common between the 60s-80s.

Would love to get this version. Not the biggest fan of the cover art (the Fremen warrior/Paul?) but the whole package looks great and the illustrations are beautiful. That price tag though...

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty similar to what was on a recent special version of the book:
GmvlEdO.jpg

LOL I have this exact version from penguin, they have cool designs front, back and binding. They actually also sellNeuromancer, Left Hand of Darkness, Stranger in a Strange Land and 2001. They are all color coded and look beautiful and I couldn't resist rebuying them all

I eventually decided that the book was too bulky to re-read and then decided to buy these ones:

I liked the design of the new one way too much, and ended just buying the whole series again LOL

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
While it is an ambigram, that is indeed the back cover. The typography of the the whole Galaxy Series is really neat.

Overall, the books have always had some great designs through the years. I think these are the latest:
B1vbJjp.jpg

I have these and absolutely love them. The Dune Messiah cover is especially stunning.

I also own 12 copies of the original book. Don't judge me. The Folio Society version is spectacular, although I oddly prefer the recently-released deluxe edition.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
The background on that logo might be a stock image but I love the coloring and mood it elicits. Cant wait too see what kind of amazing hdr visuals Denis is going to shove into our eyeballs.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Villeneuve is by far my most trusted filmmaker in activity. can't wait for this.

i don't find hard that this movie may give him Star Wars in the future.

I doubt he would do it, especially with him given free reigns. Even though he loved the first two movies particularly Empire he said he wasn't really fond of ROTJ (he actually hated it), now imagine what he thinks of the prequels or the new movies if he has seen them at all.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Villeneuve and Star Wars are like mixing oil and water; completely antithetical. He can obviously do a big-budget film, as long as it works in favour of his contemplative, poetic voice, as it was the case with Blade Runner. My ideal scenario is one where his prayers are answered and Alcon plus one of the majors approach him to direct a new BR, this time disconnected from the original material. He's shown public interest in doing it, so it might as well happen.

As for DUNE, with this cast and crew, I only hope great things.This year I should read it again, after many years postponing it. What I wish for and I'm most uncertain of is Warner Bros promoting this one better than they did for 2049 in the US: there's a bright future ahead for this universe, but that won't be possible if the film becomes a commercial disappointment.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Villeneuve has better things to do than starwar.

weeeell he is does Dune and military drug war movies, i would love to see his take on the most important Sci-Fi saga ever.

I doubt he would do it, especially with him given free reigns. Even though he loved the first two movies particularly Empire he said he wasn't really fond of ROTJ (he actually hated it), now imagine what he thinks of the prequels or the new movies if he has seen them at all.

can you link me he talking about Star Wars? hehe that's nice. well i could see he doing it justice... i mean he accepted Blade Runner 2 wich was like the most risky movie ever to do.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
weeeell he is does Dune and military drug war movies, i would love to see his take on the most important Sci-Fi saga ever.

can you link me he talking about Star Wars? hehe that's nice. well i could see he doing it justice... i mean he accepted Blade Runner 2 wich was like the most risky movie ever to do.
Dune is a better than star wars (thats like my opinion man) and I guess you could say SW is "more important" because it was more popular but it probably never wouldn't even have existed without dune.

Plus dune has more important messages as far as I can tell.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Presently, I'm reading Children of Dune. Presently, I'm very bored by the endless plotting and scheming.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alia is the worst.
Children of Dune is weird because the Jessica/Gurney side of events is super confusing. I still don't know what her end game was lol.
I still liked Children better than Messiah.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alia is the worst.
Children of Dune is weird because the Jessica/Gurney side of events is super confusing. I still don't know what her end game was lol.
I still liked Children better than Messiah.
Finished reading Children. Honestly, I just didn't like it. Felt like a such a chore to get through. Killed my interest in reading any more Dune books.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Alia is my favorite character in the whole Dune series. She's so tragic.

Talking about characters, we're doing a new poll deciding everyone's favorite character in the Dune series.

Which six should I include as options? Paul Atreides, Leto II, Duncan Idaho, Lady Jessica, Vladimir Harkonnen and Darwi Odrade?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I started reading road to dune. (Yes, yes I know, but all the original dune novels have long waiting lists at the library).
this is a prequel right?Hundreds (thousands?) years in the past. Why the hell are all the people called the same? There is a gurney Hallek, yuhe, etc. Not to mentionother names are eerily similar. Harkoneans or something. 🙄

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Alia is my favorite character in the whole Dune series. She's so tragic.

Talking about characters, we're doing a new poll deciding everyone's favorite character in the Dune series.

Which six should I include as options? Paul Atreides, Leto II, Duncan Idaho, Lady Jessica, Vladimir Harkonnen and Darwi Odrade?
Darwi Odrade x6.

More seriously, but only a little because Darwi is best, my personal list of favorite characters certainly wouldn't include most on that list.

Darwi
Alia
Miles
Leto II
Stilgar
Sheeana? Siona? Maybe Paul?

edit: And people don't like Alia? I can't even pretend to comprehend such thoughts.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Darwi Odrade x6.

More seriously, but only a little because Darwi is best, my personal list of favorite characters certainly wouldn't include most on that list.

Darwi
Alia
Miles
Leto II
Stilgar
Sheeana? Siona? Maybe Paul?
Heh, mine would also include Alia, Odrade, Miles Teg and Leto II. I love both Sheeana, and Siona but feel like her presence wasn't large in the novel itself (she didn't have as much time spent on her compared to Leto II) despite her significant accomplishments in the end. I loved her direct attitude. I still think God Emperor had the best intro of all the books. The Gom Jabbar scene in Dune 1 was incredible too.

I could exchange Jessica and Vladimir with Alia and Miles Teg or Stilgar.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So i have one year to motivate myself and read that book before the movie

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Also I hear whispers of the God Emperor banning all mentions of Star Wars in here, on his land of sand.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, mine would also include Alia, Odrade, Miles Teg and Leto II. I love both Sheeana, and Siona but feel like her presence wasn't large in the novel itself (she didn't have as much time spent on her compared to Leto II) despite her significant accomplishments in the end. I loved her direct attitude. I still think God Emperor had the best intro of all the books. The Gom Jabbar scene in Dune 1 was incredible too.

I could exchange Jessica and Vladimir with Alia and Miles Teg or Stilgar.

Yeah, that is why I was so wishy-washy with the final pick. I like Siona and Sheeana a lot but they are relatively lightweight compared to others. Conversely, Paul's story and the journey he goes through is fascinating but as a character I don't find him particularly interesting.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished reading Children. Honestly, I just didn't like it. Felt like a such a chore to get through. Killed my interest in reading any more Dune books.

Of the first three I would go Messiah > Children >>>>> Dune

The themes explored by those two books are infinitely more interesting than the straight forward "things happen" flow of the original one.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Jessica
Alia
Paul
Siona

I, too, am a sucker for Atreides.

Except for Leto II. He sucks and I hate him.

Of the first three I would go Messiah > Children >>>>> Dune

The themes explored by those two books are infinitely more interesting than the straight forward "things happen" flow of the original one.

While I still put Dune at the top, Messiah is way underrated in my opinion. The ideas explored in Messiah in particular are just so. damn. good.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Jessica
Alia
Paul
Siona

I, too, am a sucker for Atreides.

Except for Leto II. He sucks and I hate him.

While I still put Dune at the top, Messiah is way underrated in my opinion. The ideas explored in Messiah in particular are just so. damn. good.
Isn't Jessica a dirty Harkonnen?

Take Leto II's name out yo dirty mouth

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Isn't Jessica a dirty Harkonnen?

Take Leto II's name out yo dirty mouth

Shhhhh. No. Definitely an Atreides. 100%.

And if Brian Herbert has any say in it, a Mohiam, too ;-)

Let's not talk about that, though...

Leto II is an annoying douche. This is a fact. And a gross worm thing that makes me uncomfortable.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Shhhhh. No. Definitely an Atreides. 100%.

And if Brian Herbert has any say in it, a Mohiam, too ;-)

Let's not talk about that, though...

Leto II is an annoying douche. This is a fact. And a gross worm thing that makes me uncomfortable.

I'm hyped to see him realized in a movie. Children and God Emperor would be so wild to watch. Doubtful the series will make it that far but you never know. The Golden Path is still there.

hvx876vzyvwz.jpg

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I love the outpouring of love for Alia guys, keep voting!

fake_polljpja6.jpg

That said, I asked for a poll reset, hopefully the mod team can fix it. If not, we'll just reverse to the old poll. :)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like Paul the best.

I don't like any of the preborn characters. The very idea of those things disturb me.

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
I could spend all day listening to Leto II ramble on about the most inane things.

Personally wasn't a fan of Heretics/Chapterhouse outside of Teg

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it days ago but I don't think this was posted in here?

"I'm very excited to see it," MacLachlan recently told IMDb about Villeneuve's new version. "There will be another one, there will be a couple of us out there, running around, there's plenty of room I think, and Timothée I think will do a fantastic job. I'm very much looking forward to the vision Denis has. David Lynch, of course, it's a very specific vision, so this will be something completely different, I'm sure. Why not have both stand on their own merits?"

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I only just finished reading the first novel so seeing Leto II as a poll options seems like a big spoiler for me. Oh well.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And how can this be!? For he is a reasonable and pleasant person!

I only just finished reading the first novel so seeing Leto II as a poll options seems like a big spoiler for me. Oh well.

I mean, there's literally a book called "Children of Dune" so you were gonna get spoiled one way or another.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Leto II

Why isn't he named Leto III?