• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
collider.com

Dune Movie Sets New Release Date for Late 2021

Denis Villenueve's big-budget adaptation of Dune has been pushed to October 1, 2021 by Warner Bros. and Legendary, according to sources.

It seems the spice won't flow until next year, as Warner Bros. and Legendary are moving Denis Villeneueve's Dune off its December release date and will release the epic sci-fi movie on Oct. 1, 2021, Collider has exclusively learned.

This is the same release date as The Batman, so I assume that will be also moved now.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's a significant delay.

I'm seriously worried at this point what the future of movie theaters is going to look like. We already know Regal is shutting down all US cinemas again, and AMC is going to run out of money completely within 6 months.

These movies are going to be ready to be shown next year yet all of these theaters will be under water. I really don't know how this is going to play out.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a long delay, but hopefully the pandemic will be over by then. I wanna see this on the big screen.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Damn i hope this hasnt moved batman to 2022. After seeing trailers for both the latter is now my most hyped blockbuster. Tho this is still an exciting project.

They should put dune out on december 2021. Whats it up against.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's quite substantial, but in line with how long other movies have been delayed.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Pretty safe estimate for when the United States will start to feel like normal
I say USA since the entire world will be back to normal by the middle of 2021
USA will take until 2022 at this rate

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, with it's budget it was inevitable. Bond opened the floodgates, expect everything from next few months moving

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
Damn, that's a significant delay.

I'm seriously worried at this point what the future of movie theaters is going to look like. We already know Regal is shutting down all US cinemas again, and AMC is going to run out of money completely within 6 months.

These movies are going to be ready to be shown next year yet all of these theaters will be under water. I really don't know how this is going to play out.

In 6 months !!! The most logical answer is that some hedge fund will snatch them up on the cheap and benefit from the upswing (post covid)

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
It's for the best, but it still hurts.

Maybe start filming Part II before the first one is out so we get it even if the film bombs đź‘€

Oct 25, 2017
200.gif

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wonder Woman probably either April or Summer now. Also means theaters are super fucked until April at best.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I expected a delay to Fall 2021 so I'm fine with this. I want an audience to turn up to this movie.

Good thing I received another edition of the Dune books for a reread today.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised, and it's necessary, but fuck if I'm not irrationally disappointed... this Is just a film, but so many aspects of life are just on hold right now. Such a strange time.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Movie producers aren't willing to take losses to bring people back to theaters. Like guys if y'all don't start releasing movies theaters won't exist at all in 4 months time. Book it. AMC already won't survive even if Covid went away today they are done. Every boutique theater will be bankrupt in 6 months time and then what?

these movies don't make money without the double dip of theater plus digital. It's like studios are slitting their own throats and hoping someone saves them.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised at all, and similar to Bond and Black Widow it's pretty much been delayed a year from its original date.

Ah well, it was for the best.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't mean a 12 month delay before they start filming part two. I'm guessing part two is contingent upon this film's performance :/

Mar 3, 2018
wow, a full year eh? Crazy but not surprising. It's obvious Tenet really scared studios. If Nolan blockbuster couldn't get people into theaters, then nothing will.

For the best though. Hopefully, now they have more time to polish it, etc.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
I'm glad to hear Denis was supportive of the moon. Nolan was an absolute ass for the shit he pulled.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
that was like the only movie left to look forward to this year, fuck.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Surprisingly okay with this. Dune doesn't stand a chance without a wide release and an actual audience. I wouldn't have seen it this year anyway.

The extra time might also help Denis put the finishing touches on. I don't think he needs it, but it can't hurt.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I dont expect the US to recover until 2022. Laughing at Nolan's hubris to think he could somehow jumpstart the industry again.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Batman not hitting that October date now, right? And I'm guessing Wonder Woman gets its June 4th release date like they wanted all along, ha.