• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
0BmQdZu.jpg

Dumplings and spring rolls and gyoza and pierogies and wontons and etc. appreciators only. The Dumpling wikipedia page makes it sound like the term is pretty broad, but I guess stuff like empanadas count.

What else from this category is good 🤔 ?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
God i just had dinner

This cheap sushi place close by has just ridiculously good gyoza and i legit sometimes think about just ordering two boxes of gyoza and nothing else.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Gyoza might be the best food ever. Super cheap if you do all of it yourself and tastes amazing.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
God dumplings are the best.

I have a Nepali coworker who makes and sells frozen momo, like 40-50 for $20. Divine.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do bao count as dumplings? I have been having a hankering for dessert bao specifically for like a year now. Nobody makes them near me anymore. :(

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I love dumplings so much. And empanadas, and samosas, and knishes, and kreplach, and ravioli, and pork buns, and pasties, and so on and so forth. Wrap meat in dough and I'm a very happy camper.

Oct 27, 2017
I had some momo from a Tibetan restaurant once. They were really good.

Also as an Indonesian I've eaten a ton of lumpia, siomay, pangsit, etc throughout my life.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
In the "if you could only have one food for the rest of your life" thread, dumplings was my answer. So good.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I went with my gf to Gdansk in 2019 we went to a pierogies restaurant.
We got some special baked pierogies and they were soooooo good

img_6171i2k7v.jpeg

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Not all dim sum are dumplings but they warrant a mention for featuring a gajillion varieties of different types of dumplings.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Love mandu and gyoza.

To me, dumplings are kinda like bite sized noodle bowls, and sometimes with the extra yummy and guilty qualities like being deep fried depending on how they're cooked.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm partial towards tortellini myself, especially after getting to eat some "handmade-by-local-grandmas"-style in Modena, with some cream sauce & parmigiano. Divine.

Oct 30, 2017
Gyoza is my go to appetizer at most Asian Fusion restaurants.

Easy to prepare yourself if you buy them, too.

Crap now I want Gyoza.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gyoza is great.
Shumai is awesome.
Xiao Long Bow is heavenly.
Cornish Pasty's can be pretty great as well.
Pierogis can be good too.
I'm a fan of all of these types of food.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the ones I had in South Korea, one of the locals would come on base and cook them up at a little stand. Super greasy, no idea what was in them, but they were sooooo good.

But overall, yes, I'm a fan of all kinds of dumplings.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm craving perogis so bad right now...but its -45 out and I am not leaving the house. I do have potatos and flour...and time on my hands...hmmmmm

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a dumping fiend. Like even the standard ones without filling you find in your home cook chicken and dumplings soup I adore. How can something so simple be so good?

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I made Bao the other day for the first time. Surprisingly easy!

Also, shoutout to the Portuguese rissol:

rissois-de-camarao.jpg

There's a Brazilian market/bakery near me that sells risole, looks about the same. They are delicious. Though I'm seeing the Portuguese ones typically have shrimp, would love to try that.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Pot stickers, ravioli, wontons, and pierogi (probably my favorite) are all great; you can't go wrong with shoving stuff in dough and cooking it up. I've never had some of the other foods mentioned in this thread, but now I really want to give them a try because stuff like khuushuur looks amazing.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I usually don't consider zhongzi, onigiri and tamales as dumplings but the dumpling wiki has zhongzi, and if people can call gnocchi dumplings then zhongzi should count too.
zongzi-26.jpg

Personally, a dumpling is any filling enclosed inside a starch, small enough to finish in 1-3 bites. Though the definition isn't perfect as it permits maki.