• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think P6 will be annouced late 2021/early 2022?

• Yes

Votes: 104 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 202 47.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 116 27.5%

• Total voters

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I mean technically, yes. You can get the regular P5 ending in P5R. However:
The Phantom Thieves all leave for their own dreams and ambitions. The writing for P5S was done based on the ending from P5 so there are inconsistencies if paired with P5R, not to mention both Yoshizawa and Maruki not being mentioned at all despite being pivotal characters. It's a significant plot-hole.
There are lines in Strikers that make reference to events from the new semester added in Royal, as well as why Yoshizawa isn't involved.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lord I need the next spin-off to come so this "P5R isn't canon" nonsense can just freaking die already.

1) This happened already.

Marie isn't so much as mentioned in P4 Arena because much like P5S and P5R they were made close together. Then comes Ultimax and what do you know there she is.

2) What sense does making one non-canon make? Strikers is sold as a sequel to P5 yet Royal is billed as the definitive version of the game, why would they wont either of these to contradict each other?

3) Finally, and I admit until the official release I'm going by hearsay, Royal is mentioned!(or at least alluded too.)
Morgana has a line comparing the final jail in Strikers to the final Palace in Royal.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
After the success of Persona 5, surely they'd try and shorten the turnaround on the next installment?

And Persona 5 released in Japan in September 2016. It's already been more than four years, so I don't see why it couldn't be set to release in late 2021 or early 2022? Or does Atlas not have a dedicated Persona team and they straight up just wait years to focus on other projects first?

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they announce Persona 6s release date multiple times just like 5 haha. I'm feeling like this will be more about milking Persona 5. I'd be pleasantly surprised if P6 was a thing. If it is, I can see it as cross gen like P5.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I agree here. Even P4G, which imo was the most newcomers friendly entry in the series, got completely blown out of the water by P5 and even further by P5R. If they bring back P3, it'll have to be a remake re-using many of the assets from their dancing game, (which is basically just the P5 engine).
P3 is still a great game and has aspects that are better than P5, but you hit it on the nose with P5R. I played P5R then went back to replay P3, and I think anyone who thinks P3 should only get a remaster should do the same. It's very lacking in a LOT of ways by comparison, but they're not things that can't be amended with a second try in a remake.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I hope they announce Persona 6s release date multiple times just like 5 haha. I'm feeling like this will be more about milking Persona 5. I'd be pleasantly surprised if P6 was a thing. If it is, I can see it as cross gen like P5.
Honestly, the most I can see left for P5 at this point is a P5Arena game and maybe a sequel to P5S (which wouldn't be announced next year anyway), amidst their many goofy mobile crossovers. Like, unless we just go full meme and they put out P5 Racing, I can't think of much else they'd do.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Still waiting for Project Fantasy from the persona team split

studiozero.jpg

This!

Ladomania

Banned
Nov 8, 2020
I can see it tbh. P5R came out in Japan back in 2019, and and I don't think the new director worked on strikers. So it could be possible that they went right into stuff for P6 after P5R shipped.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2 2021 baby lets go.

In all honestly I really do hope they announce a Persona 3 Remake next year and it's a multiplat release. It would be the dream.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
There are lines in Strikers that make reference to events from the new semester added in Royal, as well as why Yoshizawa isn't involved.

From what I've seen it's very minimal. The game taking place after Royal is just bizarre compared to it starting from right after the original P5 ending with several character-related plot-holes. It's not just Yoshizawa related either, however, I'd much rather not go off-topic with spoiler-ridden discussion in this thread. Oh, also I'm not saying Royal isn't canon either Gold Arsene, heck it's better than the OG in every possible way imo. It's clear to most I believe minus some odd Reddit folk.

P3 is still a great game and has aspects that are better than P5, but you hit it on the nose with P5R. I played P5R then went back to replay P3, and I think anyone who thinks P3 should only get a remaster should do the same. It's very lacking in a LOT of ways by comparison, but they're not things that can't be amended with a second try in a remake.

I don't think the game is off-hands at all to do a remake for, as it follows the same game design methodologies that people are accustomed to today with Persona. It'll need several QOL improvements, (Tartarus for one). Unfortunately, P3P isn't the ideal template either due to its overworld point and click nature either.

Honestly if next year all they do is announce P4G on PS4/NSW and P3 remake using P5 engine, I'm all good until the inevitable 2024 release of Persona 6.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the most I can see left for P5 at this point is a P5Arena game and maybe a sequel to P5S (which wouldn't be announced next year anyway), amidst their many goofy mobile crossovers. Like, unless we just go full meme and they put out P5 Racing, I can't think of much else they'd do.
Akechi spin-off, Royal anime, a different type of action game, different kind of RPG, crossover, I'm sure they got something.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I actually think both Persona 6 and Project Re Fantasy will be announced next year with one coming late 2021 or early 2022, depends on the release date of SMT V.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I hope P5 Arena is a thing, I wasn't a fan of P4A but I'd give it another chance since ASW games just look incredible.

I can't even imagine what a Persona 6 would be like. I'm finally in the camp that wants it out of high school. I'm thinking college where you have more freedom. Or even that back packing around the world idea that was gonna be P5 at an incredibly early point.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope P5 Arena is a thing, I wasn't a fan of P4A but I'd give it another chance since ASW games just look incredible.

I can't even imagine what a Persona 6 would be like. I'm finally in the camp that wants it out of high school. I'm thinking college where you have more freedom. Or even that back packing around the world idea that was gonna be P5 at an incredibly early point.
The problem with college Persona is that from my understanding you DON'T have more freedom in Japanese college. At least that's not the popular consensus vs high school.

Again that's just what I've heard though.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Persona 6 isn't going to be announced in 2021 because the next major Persona game will be a full-blown remake of Persona 3 with Persona 5 tech & cutscenes from the movies. Would be easier & cheaper than doing Persona 6, while still having similar potential for sales.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
it could be announced tomorrow
released, thats a whole different beast

bunikerrim

Oct 3, 2019
I really hope this new team changes the homophobia and the terrible sexualisation issues P5 had.

We need a new direction for the series after the Hashino trilogy.

I can see the game being announced or teased next year for the 25th anniversary but I don't think they'll release it till end of 2022 or mid-2023.
I don't know in other languages, but in spanish Royal felt much less homophobic than the original, though that may be because of the translation team

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Atlus doesn't seem to like to talk about multiple "big" games at the same time. I expect Persona 6 to start to get rumblings after SMTV is released.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Can anyone explain me Atlus' structure and who is working/worked on what?

1st Production (Team Maniax)

Upcoming:
- SMT V (NSW)
- Next Etrian Odyssey (TBA)

Recently released:
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (NSW)
- SMT III HD (NSW/PS4)

2nd Production (P-Studio)

Upcoming:
- Persona 5 Strikers* (PC)

Recently released:
- Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
- Persona 5 Strikers* (PS4/NSW)
- Persona 4 Golden (PC)

* Codeveloped with Koei Tecmo

3rd Production (Studio Zero)

Upcoming:
- Project Re:Fantasy (TBA)

Recently released:
- Catherine: Full Body (PS4/PSV)
- Catherine: Full Body for Nintendo Switch (NSW)

Last edited:

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with college Persona is that from my understanding you DON'T have more freedom in Japanese college. At least that's not the popular consensus vs high school.

I want Persona in 'murican college. Pick your major, show up to lecture, get wasted (or not), practice adulting while saving the world. Doubt it's gonna happen but it would be cool.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they actually evolve the series and not just make another rehash like 5.

The whole social link structure needs a revamp.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Just ditch the school setting, please.

And if you absolutely have to keep it (of course they do), at least do something different like college or ridiculous like elementary school.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
I feel 100% certain that Persona6 will be announced next year for the anniversary. However if its anything more then a teaser, how far along it actually is and if it will release before 2025 thats an entirely different story unfortunately.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
I can see them releasing a teaser by the end of next year, then 2-3 years to release it so 2023-24

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I can see it being announced earlier than that, with a very cryptic teaser and then... Only releasing like 5 years later.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they actually evolve the series and not just make another rehash like 5.

The whole social link structure needs a revamp.

I thought Persona 5 evolved the formula in a number of meaningful ways. Most noticeably:

All S-Links now give bonuses (before, it was mostly just ally S-Links that had bonuses attached).
Dungeons were handcrafted instead of just being generic random hallways.
Baton pass & character swapping made battle much more interesting.
Stealth system in dungeons.
Controls/UI revamped to feel a lot snappier.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Persona 5 was released during september 2016 in Japan. So quite some time ago.
How soon we will see and get P6 depends on several factors I think :
-what kind of engine they will use (P5 engine is outdated but they know it well now...)
-who's working on it (can Atlus really sustain 2 bigger projects like the studio Zero game and P6 at the same time ?)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
-who's working on it (can Atlus really sustain 2 bigger projects like the studio Zero game and P6 at the same time ?)

In less than the span of a year, Atlus released their two biggest projects to-date (Persona 5 & TMS#FE) & 2 smaller projects (SMT4: Apocalypse & Etrian Odyssey 5) so they're no stranger to working on multiple projects simultaneously. And well, SMT5 & Project Re:Fantasy are probably both getting close to release and even if a new Persona is announced next year, it's probably not coming out before end of 2022 at the earliest (and most likely 2023-2024).

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

What I've read (and watched) suggests exactly the opposite. College has too much freedom compared to high school, so most of the time bonds with classmates seem much smaller, since they don't stay together as long, unless they're tied by other elements, like shared interests. That ends up favoring high school since it's a more universal and tightly knit experience.

On the other hand, if anything, actual high school in Japan has much less freedom than portrayed in anime since studying for university entrance exams is a big focus in reality, while most series sideline that, or portray it in a way where it doesn't take time from random clubs or hanging out with their friends even during the third year.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
P3 remake with new engine, P3P FMC route and new FMVs would be pretty amazing. They can drop The Answer as I don't see that paying off in terms of work required vs how well it was/will be received.

Edit: I can see P6 being announced next year with 2022 release (in Japan, please be excited).

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019

From what I've seen during my time there is actually the opposite but in a negative way. People have more things to do and aren't as close. Loads of people are typically lonely as well, unless they are in a group together like say similar college club, shared interest like studies abroad and live within the same big city.

It's actually harder to make a game around that with the now 15 year old Persona template, unless the focus is an incident and they all come together and become friends throughout a year post incident while in college.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I've read (and watched) suggests exactly the opposite. College has too much freedom compared to high school, so most of the time bonds with classmates seem much smaller, since they don't stay together as long, unless they're tied by other elements, like shared interests. That ends up favoring high school since it's a more universal and tightly knit experience.

On the other hand, if anything, actual high school in Japan has much less freedom than portrayed in anime since studying for university entrance exams is a big focus in reality, while most series sideline that, or portray it in a way where it doesn't take time from random clubs or hanging out with their friends even during the third year.
From what I've seen during my time there is actually the opposite but in a negative way. People have more things to do and aren't as close. Loads of people are typically lonely as well, unless they are in a group together like say similar college club, shared interest like studies abroad and live within the same big city.

It's actually harder to make a game around that with the now 15 year old Persona template, unless the focus is an incident and they all come together and become friends throughout a year post incident while in college.
Ah, thanks for the correction.