• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I did not know there was a Duke Nukem guide to the Internet made during the 90s
Cy2GL7BW8AEG6Zq

This part in it is interesting

The book itself is around 300 pages apparently? At least according to Amazon, pretty interested in reading the rest just for some 90s goodness :P

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
This is a little cool and awesome canonical fact in my opinion. You would think that with the sexist theme and being a character rooted in the 90's this would be the opposite. They still need to work on the whole sexism thing tho.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Uyr8mB4.png

I had to

but yeah when duke nukem is showing you up when it comes to being progressive, you know you've lost it

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
3D Realms is clearly shit judging from this Ion Fury situation so I'm gonna cast doubt on this.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Ah the good ole days when Nazis had to be in Usenet groups instead of being able to openly congregate in easily accessible social media circles.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting parallel with the Ion Fury debacle indeed.

Only thing that's a bit cringey is lumping anarchists with Nazi sympathizers and terrorists. But in fairness, those were different times when most people thought anarchism = chaos, and thus anarchists were just another word for nihilists and nutjobs. Even to this day, most people think that's what anarchism is about.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
How is 3D Realms "clearly shit" from the Ion Fury situation?
I thought it was nice to see them put out a statement, donate to a good cause, and promise change in a clear way. Or should it have been purely a punative reaction?

Don't feel too bad, that story keeps zigzagging all over the place. It is hard to keep track of it. They have now walked back their apology.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
They are not changing the "Ogay" tagged sprite to be something else. Perhaps the zero out of bounds texture as well? They really should change the out of bounds one as I see it.

Hrm, unexpected.

I still like very much that they donated to a charity, said they would sever contract in the future, and require mandatory trainings. Those are nice things as I see it.
I mean, did you see the latest update?

Just saw it above. ^^

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
They are not changing the "Ogay" tagged sprite to be something else. Perhaps the zero out of bounds texture as well? They really should change the out of bounds one as I see it.

Hrm, unexpected.

I still like very much that they donated to a charity, said they would sever contract in the future, and require mandatory trainings. Those are nice things as I see it.

Just saw it above. ^^

Are you confident the donation is happening? The whole situation changed multiple times. Show me the receipts.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am as confident as anyone else can be I guess. I really cannot show you receipts since I do not work there or at the charity. I would of course like them to.
The language they are using in their tweets right now pretty much confirms that they haven't made the donation yet. They are talking about it in the future tense. "We are still donating" rather than "We have donated." And, with how things have currently gone, there is certianly a chance that they might not actually donate, especially if they still get pressure from the alt-right after this.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The language they are using in their tweets right now pretty much confirms that they haven't made the donation yet. They are talking about it in the future tense. "We are still donating" rather than "We have donated." And, with how things have currently gone, there is certianly a chance that they might not actually donate, especially if they still get pressure from the alt-right after this.

That is Voidpoint's twitter right? Not 3d realms'?

I definitely stand by liking those 3 facets of their original statement. Hope they see them through.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is Voidpoint's twitter right? Not 3d realms'?

I definitely stand by liking those 3 facets of their original statement. Hope they see them through.
To me, those facets of their statement are only good if we can trust that they'll actually follow through with them. The walking back of their plans to remove the offensive content from the game shows to me they can't be trusted, and that it isn't worth trusting them to donate or put the staff through the sensitivity training.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I am as confident as anyone else can be I guess. I really cannot show you receipts since I do not work there or at the charity. I would of course like them to.

I didn't actually mean you, of course. I'm just saying my confidence in their sincerity is low and they've walked back a few times at this point.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
To me, those facets of their statement are only good if we can trust that they'll actually follow through with them. The walking back of their plans to remove the offensive content from the game shows to me they can't be trusted, and that it isn't worth trusting them to donate or put the staff through the sensitivity training.
Yeah - I would prefer if they were consistent.
I didn't actually mean you, of course. I'm just saying my confidence in their sincerity is low and they've walked back a few times at this point.
No problem there. I think they can be sincere still (3D Realms that is) - as this is a rather unique situation from a PR perspective, given how there are 2 distinct companies here. Seems frmo my perspective like Void + 3D R are on slightly diff pages? Perhaps.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with anarchism, Duke? Not a fan of Kropotkin or Proudhon?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

Sorry for the bump, but thanks for posting this. I've long tried to put the same sentiment into words without this careful analysis or research (mostly because I don't care to revisit Duke Nukem Forever). It drives me mad when people conflate Duke Nukem 3D and Forever as being more or less the same thematically or character-wise. Duke is insufferable in DNF, and is not at all the same character that he was in 3D, which--for however problematic that game was, framing aside--doesn't touch the ugliness and general misanthropy of Duke Nukem Forever.

Great read.