• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Is this real, it looks like it could be. Why announce something real on April fools though?

papusman

Sep 25, 2019
This isn't fake. There's no way a legit company would use Disney IP even as a joke. Why would they take the risk? Also, there's no joke here. It's just "look at this thing we're doing." If anything, they intentionally announced this on April Fools Day in order to get more people talking about it.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
The original quackshot is extremely good. Like top 10 genesis library good. Man, I would love this to be real. I wish more games had used quackshot's fast travel and world map system.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Of course you can. It might not be worth your time or money, but laws still apply to "jokes."

Unlikely. The IP is not being used for commercial purposes, and unless you can prove in court that there was unjust enrichment arising from or in connection with the potential increase in the company's perceived value or goodwill following the publication of the pictures and announcement you would get nothing aside from a court order for the company to stop using the pictures and associating with the relevant IP, which, in case this is an April Fool's, will happen as soon as tomorrow anyway (they would have to delete the tweet, that's all).

And if all you're seeking is to have the tweet be deleted, a simple boilerplate cease and desist e-mail will net you the same results a lot quicker and at no cost (aside from the retainer/billable hours for the intern at your law firm to send the boilerplate e-mail).

papusman

Sep 25, 2019
Unlikely. The IP is not being used for commercial purposes, and unless you can prove in court that there was unjust enrichment arising from or in connection with the potential increase in the company's perceived value or goodwill following the publication of the pictures and announcement you would get nothing aside from a court order for the company to stop using the pictures and associating with the relevant IP, which, in case this is an April Fool's, will happen as soon as tomorrow anyway (they would have to delete the tweet, that's all).

And if all you're seeking is to have the tweet be deleted, a simple boilerplate cease and desist e-mail will net you the same results a lot quicker and at no cost (aside from the retainer/billable hours for the intern at your law firm to send the boilerplate e-mail).

Can you imagine how this would get pitched, though?

Social Media Intern: "Hey, boss? I want to do an April Fools Day joke. It will cost us time and resources to develop, will do nothing for us as a company, and will put us in the cross-hairs of the largest, most litigious and powerful media company on Earth!"

Boss: "Sounds great! It's technically legal, so this sounds very much worth our time and effort!"

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
With respect, you are both talking about the subject like you know something about it, but your words suggest you do not.
How so? Anyone can sue anyone else for any reason. It's up to a court to decide if the case has merit to be tried, and if tried, the outcome. Parody and satire are protected speech (in the US at least, I don't know about other countries' laws) but that doesn't automatically mean a "joke" is protected. It has to be proven to be satire or parody. Assuming this is an April Fools' joke, Disney could still take them to court over it for copyright and/or trademark infringement. It's not likely that they would. But they could.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
There's no way a legit company would use Disney IP even as a joke

Legal, maybe not.
But would you took the risk to alienate Disney for a joke ? I wouldn't.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone, ever, decide to reveal a real thing on this day? I don't understand the logic. Surely they know it'd be infinitely wiser to wait 24 more hours (if it's real).

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Can you imagine how this would get pitched, though?

Social Media Intern: "Hey, boss? I want to do an April Fools Day joke. It will cost us time and resources to develop, will do nothing for us as a company, and will put us in the cross-hairs of the largest, most litigious and powerful media company on Earth!"

Boss: "Sounds great! It's technically legal, so this sounds very much worth our time and effort!"

Didn't say it was legal, or wise.

If it is an April fool's gimmick, it's ill advised. Also find it doubtful that this would fall under satire provisions, as there is no commentary or joke (or appearance of joke) being attempted, it would only be a "joke" if it turns out that they never intended to release the product, because it was an April Fool's tradition. That is not satire.

What I'm saying is that, regardless, the case would get dismissed or would not warrant any ruling beyond the order to remove the infringing images and text, even in a country as litigious as the USA.

Either way, hope it turns out to be real, should be a great game.

recyclops

Jan 26, 2018
John Drake VP of Disney licensing seems to not be cool with April Fools jokes so I am team real​

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
One of the executive producers of the show retweeted it and said they wished it was real because it'd be awesome if it was. So... at the most it's concept art in hopes of a licence.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
How so? Anyone can sue anyone else for any reason. It's up to a court to decide if the case has merit to be tried, and if tried, the outcome. Parody and satire are protected speech (in the US at least, I don't know about other countries' laws) but that doesn't automatically mean a "joke" is protected. It has to be proven to be satire or parody. Assuming this is an April Fools' joke, Disney could still take them to court over it for copyright and/or trademark infringement. It's not likely that they would. But they could.
Your basic point is true, but not terribly useful. What do you imagine the legal remedy to be for a mere tweet of fanart? I suppose they can get the image taken down, but they can do that in cheaper, easier ways than a lawsuit.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Your basic point is true, but not terribly useful. What do you imagine the legal remedy to be for a mere tweet of fanart? I suppose they ca ng get the image taken down, but they can do that in cheaper, easier ways than a lawsuit.
Yes, absolutely. That's why I said it would be unlikely they would sue. If they cared enough, they would just issue a takedown or a cease and desist. The point is that they could if they wanted to. "You can't prosecute for jokes" as the original posted I replied to said is not true, that's my point.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Yes, absolutely. That's why I said it would be unlikely they would sue. If they cared enough, they would just issue a takedown or a cease and desist. The point is that they could if they wanted to. "You can't prosecute for jokes" as the original posted I replied to said is not true, that's my point.

exactly

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why would anyone, ever, decide to reveal a real thing on this day? I don't understand the logic. Surely they know it'd be infinitely wiser to wait 24 more hours (if it's real).

Because way more people speculate big this is real and for longer than if it was a simple news drop.

Today they/we will speculate and the confirmation would be like a second reveal that gets media presence again.

At least that's my theory

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Because way more people speculate big this is real and for longer than if it was a simple news drop.

Today they/we will speculate and the confirmation would be like a second reveal that gets media presence again.

At least that's my theory
News on March 31st: "Cool, that looks great"

vs

News on April 1st: "I'll fucking hate you if this is fake"
April 2nd revealed it's real: "OMG I FUCKING LOVE YOU!!!!!!"

🤣

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
One of the executive producers of the show retweeted it and said they wished it was real because it'd be awesome if it was. So... at the most it's concept art in hopes of a licence.
I thought it was real. I hoped it was real. Yeah I know, april fools, but I have a lot more respect for april fools jokes that are immediately recognizable as such but good jokes in itself. But maybe something comes out of this.

FDG must feel real good about themselves right now. I'm just really disappointed if this just ends as the dumb and stupid joke that it is.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
This definitely has the feel of one of those April Fools "jokes" used to gauge interest/support lol

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Wouldn't at all be surprised if this is real. Disney reached out to plenty of people a year or so go reg. interest in their IPs. This seems like a match made in heaven.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through the Genesis game currently and an HD/modern version of the game would be fantastic!

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Please be real! please be real!

so many fond memories of this game. I remember getting my mega drive Christmas Day with Altered beast packed in and my parents buying me Quackshot to go with it. I had never heard of it but man was I glad they got me it. Top 5 mega drive game for me!

Amakuni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of a few years back when they Square announced a new Tactics Ogre game as an April Fools joke.

Loved Quackshot as a kid, one of my favorite Genesis games. I hope this falls under the category of "Real announcement deliberately made on April 1st to fool people into thinking its fake, also cause its the first day of the 2nd quarter of the fiscal year".

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The Duck Tales guy could just be playing along or could be out of the loop. I'm guessing this is real, but they released this teaser on April Fool's Day to generate discussion and then they'll do an official reveal with the season premiere later this week.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought Thomas would have been in this thread by now if it is was fake, so I'm still in #teamreal