• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of ships that had all the chemistry of a noble gas?
more the handling of a lot of characters in general especially Moon.

though I won't deny
Star and Marco ever becoming anything more than friends annoyed me because I really wish we could have more series where the male and female leads could just remain good friends and if there is romance they just end up with someone else, and not want to date and for a good chunk of Star they actually did make it work well enough with them just being friends. Sadly enough Ducktales is one of them that handles guys and girls just being friends nicely. Most of the others that handle guys and girls being friends well tend to make one of them gay, which isn't a bad thing in general, but it's still sending the message that the only way a guy and girl can be "just friends" is if one of them can't be sexually attracted to the other.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
The ending of Star wouldn't annoy me as much if it weren't for
They hadn't spent an entire episode basically being like "haha they're breaking the curse!!! the curse that made them fall in love! or... are they? was it really a curse? they'll continue dating other people after this but have rushed/offscreen breakups!" and if the merged reality wasn't a nightmarish hell scenario for everyone that wasn't Star or Marco.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
It's good at least they prepared for S3 to be its end and not have it be straight up unfinished/cancelled.

Also we are getting 6 episodes left including the season finale which will likely be 2

Last edited:

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder why disney likes to cancel shows at this point in their lifecycle, are they always looking to ask teams to develop/rework IP in search of the next big hit or is it more of a building a diverse back catalogue sort of thing?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So the two best animated/general shows on television got axed within three months of one another in the EXACT same way (Twitter leak by someone unrelated to production causing actual statement). Ducktales gets to join Venture Brothers in the great cartoony sky...

Here it is, an official statement from Frank Angones.

I wonder if he'd had that written up for awhile just in case or had to put it together just now.

This whole thing still feels really weird. S3 hasn't been as good as past years anyways, but it also felt like it was clearly setting things up for the future. I guess getting Tailspin/DW/Goofy/Daisy in last minute is better than not getting them in at all, but still. There's a lot of weirdness if they really anticipated this being the end.

I do wonder why disney likes to cancel shows at this point in their lifecycle, are they always looking to ask teams to develop/rework IP in search of the next big hit or is it more of a building a diverse back catalogue sort of thing?

I think for kids TV shows they have a very specific approach that hasn't changed since the 80s/90s. If a show is successful enough to get renewed once, it gets renewed again so they can pay it off as a lump sum and have it to use as reruns and merch. Then they cancel it because they already have the amount of content they needed, and spending more money for more episodes doesn't exactly get them more money back.

In a very weird way it's why Nintendo only releases one Mario Kart per system: why make more of something when people are fine paying for the old one for a few more years?

I don't necessarily think it's a good play, though, in this age of streaming versus kids just watching reruns on TV. You presumably want shows lasting longer so people stay hooked on streaming services to keep watching their favorites.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This was pretty depressing to hear. I've really enjoyed this show, it and Owl House have been pretty solid. It feels like a lot of solid animated shows are ending, and there doesn't seem to be a lot to fill the gap. I am really surprised Disney is cutting this show when they still don't have that much content for their streaming service yet. They could have moved it to D+ and I would have gladly subscribed to watch it.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

I've seen it posited that they don't keep shows going for very long because kids age out of them, and so they want a new show for new kids to watch. Meanwhile us adults get the shaft.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the logic is, which is better for drawing in kids? Season 4 of a show that's increasingly building up continuity that a new viewer would have to be aware of? Or starting over from season 1 via reruns, with kids thinking they're new episodes anyway because they're dumb?

I can partially see the logic. By season 4, you aren't really drawing in new people, and kids that started out in the target demographic in 2017 have aged out of it by 2021. However, that's discounting the possibility that people who age out of the target demographic are still watching, and that Disney Plus and such now allow kids to easily start from season 1.

In any case, we can't say for sure that's the whole reasoning for stopping at season 3.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just catching up on episodes and in The First Adventure, the rhythm on the S.H.U.S.H device (when Beakley calls Scrooge at the beginning) is the Doctor Who rhythm, from the Title theme or The Master's Sound of Drums, or the Heartbeat of a Timelord.

In fact, that rhythm in the phones was how The Master mind-controlled the world in David Tennant's era.

I fucking love this show. I wish it wasn't ending.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
finally started on this show after having seen the first episode when it originally aired. finished up the last crash of the sunchaser in season 1 and that's some good stuff.

i know the broad strokes of where the show goes and the twists in store, but that's not getting in the way of how the story's been unfolding. this show is pretty damn good.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
10 episodes left, right ?

Any chance the 10 will be one after the other without breaks in the middle ?

I can't imagine we get another hiatus after this. I think that final season announcement was a hint that once the next set of episodes airs, it's done.

Steven Universe technically did the same thing when it returned last year in the middle of Future.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Anyway, Fenton and Gandra as a couple is not something I am really interested in seeing since they didn't really put the time in to make them a interesting pairing and also they pushed Gandra from being an amoral tweener to outright villainy engaged terrorist who is bent on world larceny and is known by Clan McDuck to be this as of The Split Sword.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Anyway, Fenton and Gandra as a couple is not something I am really interested in seeing since they didn't really put the time in to make them a interesting pairing and also they pushed Gandra from being an amoral tweener to outright villainy engaged terrorist who is bent on world larceny and is known by Clan McDuck to be this as of The Split Sword.
Yeah, they could have built that dynamic more before shoving her into full blown villainry.

Unless it's actually a shoot.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they could have built that dynamic more before shoving her into full blown villainry.

Unless it's actually a shoot.

wouldn't it be a work, if she's working with FOWL, but's been working with Fenton the whole time?

Or else, Fenton's about to get his ass chewed out. Would explain why we haven't seen Gizmoduck fight FOWL head on lately.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Well, guess that means we're on the final stages of the ride.

I'm going to be sad when this is over.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Damn. This is going to hurt for a long time.

Really sad that more people didn't pay attention to this series. I honestly feel like it's up there with the 2012 TMNT reboot series in telling new kinds of stories while simultaneously showing tremendous love for the various source material, appealing to both children and adults in it's writing.

I hope it's a great send-off and I really hope that the new Darkwing animated series connects to this. Would really shameful if it ignored everything that Ducktales set up.

Oct 27, 2017
So they're going the Gravity Falls route with the finale. That's good.

On the other hand, I didn't realize Big Hero 6 was ending. I only noticed during the same promo they aired throughout the season, that a rushed voice said, "Series Finale, Monday!" I admit, I didn't get into the series, but thought it was a really shitty send off on Disney's part. Hope ducktales doesn't get the same rush job.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So they're going the Gravity Falls route with the finale. That's good.

On the other hand, I didn't realize Big Hero 6 was ending. I only noticed during the same promo they aired throughout the season, that a rushed voice said, "Series Finale, Monday!" I admit, I didn't get into the series, but thought it was a really shitty send off on Disney's part. Hope ducktales doesn't get the same rush job.
the weirder part is they announced a new big hero series already
insidethemagic.net

Baymax Series Announced for Disney+ - Inside the Magic

Disney announced that the 'Big Hero 6' character, Baymax will have his own original series on Disney+. Read details here.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
So, we were watching through Disney Now since my wife worked for the D, and she was laid off recently (don't worry, we're good), so we no longer have access.

Is the individual eps/season pass available anywhere as they go up? I saw Amazon Prime Video has the past eps for purchase, but I just wanted to know if they're available when they come out.

----
Side note: Flora and Ulysses on Disney Plus, besides being a fun family movie, has a few of the primary Ducktales cast in the movie.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
So, we were watching through Disney Now since my wife worked for the D, and she was laid off recently (don't worry, we're good), so we no longer have access.

Is the individual eps/season pass available anywhere as they go up? I saw Amazon Prime Video has the past eps for purchase, but I just wanted to know if they're available when they come out.

----
Side note: Flora and Ulysses on Disney Plus, besides being a fun family movie, has a few of the primary Ducktales cast in the movie.

They are also uploaded to the DisneyNOW App.

Aug 7, 2019
DuckTales "The Last Adventure! Part I: A Tale of Three Webbys!"
DuckTales "The Last Adventure! Part II: The Lost Library of Isabella Finch!"
DuckTales "The Last Adventure! Part III: Tale's End"

Status
Not open for further replies.