• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Sooo I'll just go ahead and take it "Van Drake Action Cane PPK" could imply PK/Duck Avenger/Phantomias, given that he's been working with Van Drake in comics and no one can convince me otherwise.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
The animation this last episode was really good, they drew some racial expressions that weren't just house style (which I still love, mind!) Young Donald continues to be perfect

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
earlier-than-usual reminder that a new premiere debuts tomorrow

Monday, Nov. 23
DuckTales "The Fight for Castle McDuck!"
(7:00-7:30 P.M. EDT)

A bitter feud between Scrooge and his sister, Matilda, spreads to the rest of the family as Phantom Blot attempts to steal a priceless artifact and destroy Castle McDuck once and for all.

*Michelle Gomez ("Doctor Who") guest stars as Matilda McDuck and Giancarlo Esposito ("Breaking Bad") returns as Phantom Blot.
Em9m-QgXYAMNhMx

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
We've still heard nothing on a season 4 yeah? How does the not connected darkwing duck show impact that, y'all think?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
We've still heard nothing on a season 4 yeah? How does the not connected darkwing duck show impact that, y'all think?
We haven't officially heard anything on season 4 but at this point it would be a 99.9% chance of happening. Disney isn't always the best at supporting series for a long time, but they are pretty good about announcing that a series is coming to the end, and we are close enough to the end of season 3 that it would be extremely weird if it was the last and they hadn't announced it.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
We haven't officially heard anything on season 4 but at this point it would be a 99.9% chance of happening. Disney isn't always the best at supporting series for a long time, but they are pretty good about announcing that a series is coming to the end, and we are close enough to the end of season 3 that it would be extremely weird if it was the last and they hadn't announced it.

I hope you're right! This and Harley Quinn have been some of the best things to come out for me recently

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah shit thats a good point. honestly i was completely convinced season 3 would be the end given how much they were cramming in but i think disney would have let people know if they weren't planning to renew it

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: casual reminder that after next week's episode there are no more scheduled to be aired in the coming weeks, so we'll effectively be in hiatus for the foreseeable future

episode tally:
Season 1 = 25 half-hours
Season 2 = 25 half-hours
Season 3 = 19 half-hours so far (including next week's)

so if the number pattern holds we still have 6 episodes (5 if the season finale turns out to be a hour-long event) to look forward to after hiatus

Last edited:

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles

EDIT: casual reminder that after next week's episode there are no more scheduled to be aired in the coming weeks, so we'll effectively be in hiatus for the foreseeable future

episode tally:
Season 1 = 25 half-hours
Season 2 = 25 half-hours
Season 3 = 19 half-hours so far (including next week's)

so if the number pattern holds we still have 6 episodes (5 if the season finale turns out to be a hour-long event) to look forward to after hiatus

We still have an unaired episode with Molly and Kit from TaleSpin so I'm pretty sure we'll still have 25 total.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Disney have a trend of ending shows after 3 seasons and they has been no annoucement regarding a 4th season (which to be fair is normal)
The 2010's disney shows
Phineas and Ferb lasted 4 seasons (technically started in 2009 but was a huge show for them and mostly aired in the 2010s)
Gravity falls was 2
Milo Murphy was 2
star vs the forces of evil was 4
Wander over Yander was 2
Penn zero was 2
Tron uprising was 1
Jake and the never land pirates was 4
sofia the first was 4
mickey mouse was 5
the 7d was 2
Kick Buttowski was 2
Motorcity was 1
Pickle and Peanut was 2
Descendants: Wicked World was 2
Future-Worm! was 1

fish hooks (2010-2013) was 3 - was announced the third season was the last season shortly after it started to air
Two More Eggs (2015-2018, animated shorts) was 3 - was announced the third season was the last as it was renewed
The Lion Guard (2016-2019) was 3 -I'm not sure when it was announced the third season was the last
Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure (2017-2020)was 3 - Was announced the third season was the last as it was renewed
Elena of Avalor (2016-2020) was 3 - was announced only a month before the last episodes aired that it was coming to an end

the rest are still airing. The point being that while there have been some notable shows ending after 3 seasons, there are plenty of notable series that went 4+ and in general the shows that ended on the third season announced the end was coming well before the point we are at in ducktales.

I can't see any reason at all to assume that the show is ending with this season, but alas fandoms always assume the show is going to be cancelled until there is an announcement of more even if their are mounds of proof that the show was still in active production *glares towards Steven Universe fandom* Note: I haven't seen any mounds of proof that this show is still in active production, but there also hasn't been any signs that it's wrapped up production, which if this was the last season we should have seen, but Disney can also be quite good at hiding things. We actively knew when people were moving off Milo Murphy's law though well before the second season finished airing.

I will also note I don't think plot wise it makes sense for this to be the last season given the number of episodes we have left. Perhaps we will super rush it, but it feels far more likely that this season will end with some sort of significant FOWL victory rather than FOWL fully resolved, and that the 4th season will be the last season as the show slowly works back towards status quo and ends on a theme of adventure is always waiting, or perhaps even instead a movie to wrap things up, but if they were doing such a thing I'd expect them to have already announced a movie without covering what theme it will cover.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Note: I haven't seen any mounds of proof that this show is still in active production, but there also hasn't been any signs that it's wrapped up production, which if this was the last season we should have seen, but Disney can also be quite good at hiding things. We actively knew when people were moving off Milo Murphy's law though well before the second season finished airing.

It's pretty funny (and sad) how they still haven't made any official statement on that shows' current status, and the creators haven't made any comments beyond vaguely implying a S3 might still happen.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty funny (and sad) how they still haven't made any official statement on that shows' current status, and the creators haven't made any comments beyond vaguely implying a S3 might still happen.
For Milo Murphy one of the creators was quite clear a few months ago. The show is not officially canceled, but it's not in production, all the staff was moved to other projects beyond the Phineas and Ferb movie, and the only way season 3 happens is if the Disney+ numbers were extremely good.

Add that to the fact that one of the creators has a new cartoon coming and it's hard to imagine a scenario where we get an actual season 3 of Milo Murphy. Maybe.... maybe a movie down the line, but another full blown season seems extremely unlikely.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
It would truly be a bummer if this ended up being the last season. This is, hands down, one of the best currently running shows on TV, period.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Not much chatter about this episode, but I liked it, even if it feels like we've seen all this before by now. This is still a weird direction for the Phantom Blot, but pairing him up with offbrand Pinkie Pie was fun, and whoever storyboarded the Huey/Louie scenes got some really good expressions in there.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finally got around to this, been really liking it. Seen 5 episodes. Although I still can't differentiate the boys from each other yet and picking out their personalities to identify them will take them. The dimension hopping around Mount Neverrest was a very cool idea.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Have they really not discussed S4? I swear I heard them talking at the start of S3 as though they had huge plans for years to come. I also recall them mentioning bigger plans for certain characters like Daisy, Goofy, and the Caballeros that there's clearly not enough time this season for.

Not much chatter about this episode, but I liked it, even if it feels like we've seen all this before by now. This is still a weird direction for the Phantom Blot, but pairing him up with offbrand Pinkie Pie was fun, and whoever storyboarded the Huey/Louie scenes got some really good expressions in there.

Yeah, Blot's biggest drawback is that he's so utterly unlike any other version of the character. It's weird because otherwise the show is slavish to a lot of things. Still like the depiction, it's just weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Have they really not discussed S4? I swear I heard them talking at the start of S3 as though they had huge plans for years to come. I also recall them mentioning bigger plans for certain characters like Daisy, Goofy, and the Caballeros that there's clearly not enough time this season for.

Yeah, Blot's biggest drawback is that he's so utterly unlike any other version of the character. It's weird because otherwise the show is slavish to a lot of things. Still like the depiction, it's just weird.

Maybe a side effect of making him a FOWL field agent rather then High Command.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Final episode of the batch premieres tomorrow!

Monday, Nov. 30
DuckTales "How Santa Stole Christmas!"
(7:00-7:30 P.M. EDT)

Scrooge teams up with his archrival, Santa Claus, to save Christmas, while Webby discovers the true history behind their infamous feud.

*Hugh Bonneville ("Downton Abbey") guest stars as Santa Claus.
EnjTerTW4AETjcW

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Final episode of the batch premieres tomorrow!
sad face given there are likely only 6 episodes left to this season and breaks will continue to keep it off disney+ because disney is stupid so I can't have my friends catch up :(

I really wish disney would just put them up with a few week delay not wait until the entire season is out.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
sad face given there are likely only 6 episodes left to this season and breaks will continue to keep it off disney+ because disney is stupid so I can't have my friends catch up :(

I really wish disney would just put them up with a few week delay not wait until the entire season is out.

They can't due to current contracts with Cable companies. As much as I'd love them to put episodes up after airing too, rather than wait until a season is done.

We'll see if on December 10th during that Disney+ Investor Day if the new company strategy to give people more options to consume content includes their TV divisions for Disney+. Although who knows if that'll apply to older shows or not.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Two and a half seasons of joking about Santa being Scrooge's mortal enemy, and this somehow wound up being one of the most heartfelt episodes in the entire series. God, I'm almost crying.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Probably what is most concerning is nobody from officially official sources has stepped to deny Ducktales is done.
Really don't think that's all too concerning. Disney tends to be very strict about disclosing unannounced information, and denying Ducktales is done is essentially the same as confirming there is still more to come and something that could violate NDA contracts. It's hands down best for anyone involved with Ducktales to not comment on rumors so they don't get in trouble.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If I had a popular show that Disney cancelled for no real reason I would absolutely burn that bridge on the way out and say "hey. we're cancelled".

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If I had a popular show that Disney cancelled for no real reason I would absolutely burn that bridge on the way out and say "hey. we're cancelled".
If you never wanted to work in the industry again sure.
There really aren't that many places that will commission cartoons in general in the US, and if you burn your bridge with Disney the other places will likely take notice and be less likely to work with you in the future

Aug 7, 2019
Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

‘DuckTales’ Reboot Canceled After Three Seasons at Disney XD

The "DuckTales" reboot will not continue past its current third season on Disney XD.
So this sucks but...

ave delivered exceptional storytelling with uniquely reimagined characters for three seasons of 75 episodes and more than 15 shorts
While physical production has wrapped, 'DuckTales' continues to be available on Disney Channels and Disney+ around the world and fans will get an epic season finale in 2021

are both interesting.
The first being because there is only 65 episodes aired right now which means we have 10 episodes left?

the second just because it says season finale instead of series finale, which while easily could be a slip of the tongue could also mean there is a movie to end the series that hasn't been announced.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
It's really telling that Disney didn't confirm this until someone else broke the news on Twitter and pressed them to make a statement. This is horrible unless it was a creative choice by the staff of the show. As popular as it got I feel like it really needed and deserved another season or two to really leave its mark, its influence was just starting to finally bleed into other things. I'm going to be extremely bummed unless the triplets get their revamped distinct looks/personalities permanently carried out as a standard and some of the fan favorite new and revamped obscure comic characters break out beyond just this show (maybe those Mickey shorts?). This show really deserved to be its own era of Disney, there better be a followup of some sort. To just end it here and show no appreciation for all the hard work the team put into reviving characters like Darkwing Duck by ignoring them and ordering some unrelated Seth Rogen reboot is... so blatant.

Edit: Well, Seth Rogen reboot could be related. Gut reaction.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
reviving characters like Darkwing Duck by ignoring them and ordering some unrelated Seth Rogen reboot.
We don't know at all if it's unrelated or not. They at no point have confirmed if the new darkwing series is a reboot, a continuation of the original show, or a continuation of the ducktales stuff.

It's entirely possible that the darkwing series is in fact a continuation of the ducktales stuff, and that Rogen's production company is just heading the project and because ducktales wasn't confirmed as cancelled they didn't announce a number of the writers were moving over to that.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
It's really telling that Disney didn't confirm this until someone else broke the news on Twitter and pressed them to make a statement. This is horrible unless it was a creative choice by the staff of the show. As popular as it got I feel like it really needed and deserved another season or two to really leave its mark, its influence was just starting to finally bleed into other things. I'm going to be extremely bummed unless the triplets get their revamped distinct looks/personalities permanently carried out as a standard and some of the fan favorite new and revamped obscure comic characters break out beyond just this show (maybe those Mickey shorts?). This show really deserved to be its own era of Disney, there better be a followup of some sort. To just end it here and show no appreciation for all the hard work the team put into reviving characters like Darkwing Duck by ignoring them and ordering some unrelated Seth Rogen reboot is... so blatant.

We call this a Rusty Venture now.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
We don't know at all if it's unrelated or not. They at no point have confirmed if the new darkwing series is a reboot, a continuation of the original show, or a continuation of the ducktales stuff.

It's entirely possible that the darkwing series is in fact a continuation of the ducktales stuff, and that Rogen's production company is just heading the project and because ducktales wasn't confirmed as cancelled they didn't announce a number of the writers were moving over to that.
Oh yeah, good point. Sorry for the hyperbole, Seth Rogen just puts me in fight or flight mode.

We call this a Rusty Venture now.

Well actually a Rusty Venture is a [REDACTED]

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So this sucks but...

are both interesting.
The first being because there is only 65 episodes aired right now which means we have 10 episodes left?

the second just because it says season finale instead of series finale, which while easily could be a slip of the tongue could also mean there is a movie to end the series that hasn't been announced.

It *is* unlikely though *possible* there will be some form of spin-off coming. I don't recall the creators having new gigs yet, it could be something still early in development. We'll have to wait and see.

I could have miscounted but I believe there's 66 episodes aired, 69 if you count hour-long episodes as two episodes each (which they are in reruns). Unless S3 got extra episodes ordered, we realistically have anywhere between 5-10 episodes left, depending on how Disney is counting, and assuming the finale is also an hour long.

Agree wholeheartedly.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, good point. Sorry for the hyperbole, Seth Rogen just puts me in fight or flight mode.

Well actually a Rusty Venture is a [REDACTED]
I get that but at the same time Point Grey Pictures is more than just Seth Rogen and they have done a number of solid things.

3 of the 4 tv series they have done ended up with a rotten tomatoes of above 80. The issue being of course that they were all mature live action series and not well darkwing duck like... but really a PG version of The Boys really doesn't seem like it would be THAT far from what a darkwing duck series could be like.

It is also possible that the Ducktales staff en masse moved over to Darkwing as that might be what they wanted to work on next.

yup that's possible, just like it's possible that they are actually moving onto a bunch of different projects loosely based on the ducktales 2017 and making it a universe of cartoons. The cast at this point is massive, and realistically exploring a number of the characters would be done best with their own mini or full series (which mini series would make great disney+ releases)

Currently by having it under the ducktales 2017 banner you are for the most part forced to have a least one duck involved. If you broke these up into other series though you could have the other characters staring in their own thing with a duck guest starring from time to time. Likely wishful thinking, but the team has handled their guest stars quite well and could easily set up bringing back a number of the classic shows as part of the 2017 universe if disney wanted them to.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
What a bummer. I had slowly been watching this show over the last few years (currently a few episodes into Season 2). I'll still continue watching until the end but it's unfortunately that it got cancelled. Seemed like the quality was really high.

Status
Not open for further replies.