• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I never liked retro arch and now I'm glad I don't use it.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Most of Near's allegations are gone now as he'd wipe his forums and tweets peridocially to get away from this stuff. But you can see the retroarch lead (here under the name "twinaphex") referring to near as a "bipolar retard" and an "autist" in the below captured irc log, which should tell you all you need to know.: https://retroarchleaks.wordpress.com/2017/05/23/byuu/
Oof, what the fuck. I didn't use Retroarch much in the first place but now it's an easy avoid.

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Terribly sad :(
I don't understand why the Retroarch devs behave this way. Don't they realize that without the emulator devs they are nothing?
They should lift up and be thankful to every emulator developer instead of treating them like shit.
I do use Retroarch for a few emus that don't have a regular gui like Beetle PSX and bsnes but hearing this makes me wish I wouldn't need to.
Why do people have to be so shitty? :(
I don't know either. But SquarePusher seems just an ass all around. Most of the emu devs have issues with him. Because he likes harassing the emu devs. And I don't know what this idiot is just getting by this. He is the typical benefit from others but without he is just an dumb idiot.

bsnes has a normal gui if I remember correctly. But you are correct with beetle psx. You could switch to mednafen and use a gui for it.

Nov 25, 2018
To be honest, I have seen several emulator developers with a diva complex over the years antagonizing Retroarch for forking their projects because they don't want to implement Libretro, and they are a minority.

I mean. If multiple people have the exact same issues with the same person... who is in the wrong exactly? lol

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
This obviously sucks, but I wish the best for Stenzek. PCSX2 is even better off now.
No one should have to put up with this kind of shit, especially when they're working on a highly-technical application as a community service.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
LaunchBox/BigBox is what I use.
Some initial setup getting your stuff in there and associating it with individual emulators, but their front end is very nice and offers a ton of customization

Can it do CRT shaders? It looks so much nicer than Retroarch but I can't leave unless shaders are there and all I can find is shaders via Retroarch integrations. Is it worth buying? I don't pay for Retroarch, but it's served me well over the years. I just don't want to use something that's actively ruining emulation on PC and driving talented devs away.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
This fucking sucks. Stnezek is a champion of the emulation scene and deserves better...

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Started using Duckstation recently and was blown away by it, especially since I was coming from XEBRA. Best wishes to Stenzek, mental health and happiness are more important.

Shame that the emulation community can be so toxic.

The person who runs retroarch was one of the people who Near said used to harass him iirc. The reason I've never used it and never will.

I've never used Retroarch before but now I definitely won't. That targeted harassment is part of what led to Near, a brilliant mind, committing suicide last summer.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
It's been knew. Retroarch/libretro dev has always been a toxic ass to the community. I remember when he cut-off the mGBA dev because she pointed out he used official PS3 SDK references (i.e. actual illegal shit), and there was a whole bunch of other garbage that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I use RetroArch out of convenience and it plays nice with Steam in-home streaming, but fuck that developer. Are there any good alternative frontends?

OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
It's been knew. Retroarch/libretro dev has always been a toxic ass to the community. I remember when he cut-off the mGBA dev because she pointed out he used official PS3 SDK references (i.e. actual illegal shit), and there was a whole bunch of other garbage that I can't recall off the top of my head.
I also remember the mGBA bit. On of the reason the core wasn't available for a short time.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I5NdZaB.png

🤔

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can it do CRT shaders? It looks so much nicer than Retroarch but I can't leave unless shaders are there and all I can find is shaders via Retroarch integrations. Is it worth buying? I don't pay for Retroarch, but it's served me well over the years. I just don't want to use something that's actively ruining emulation on PC and driving talented devs away.

Shaders would be set in the individual emulators. LaunchBox is just a frontend that launches the ROM into individual emulators you would have to have installed. So any emulators that had CRT shaders could be used with LaunchBox

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Shaders would be set in the individual emulators. LaunchBox is just a frontend that launches the ROM into individual emulators you would have to have installed. So any emulators that had CRT shaders could be used with LaunchBox

Hmm I'll play around with the free version for now and see how it is then.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
What's the best alternative to Retroarch? Is there anything else that supports features like run ahead and netplay? I've tried to switch away from it before (I hate the UX) but so many individual emulators just don't have those things.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
I use emulators sometimes, retroarch stuff usually.

Opensource dev drama is always next level so Im just gonna sit there and read through.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if something came around to replace Retroarch that is designed to actually court and encourage emulator developers rather than alienate and steal from them. It's going to be very hard to convince people to go back to individual emulators, each with different types of capabilities and configuration management, many of which do not support things like CRT shaders.
Wouldn't it be possible to fight RetroArch with its own weapons here? Someone could fork it, make sure the cores give credit to the original teams that develop it, and strive towards a culture that makes sure improvements are done upstream (similar to the open source culture you have in the Linux space, for example).

I agree that retroarch won't ever just go away, the idea of having so many emulators accessible using the same frontend is way too comfortable. But it sucks to hear that the people running it are apparently complete garbage, to the point of driving people out and maybe even to suicide.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to check out BigBox for PC emulators, but I don't think it exists for Vita :/
I play a lot of old stuff on Vita and I think the only frontend is Retroarch.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I tried retroarch once and made mistake of installing it to wrong directory and it wiped the whole fucking thing out when I remove it. Luckily I was able to recover the loss files but fuck that experience and there bullying

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I just picked it up on github like 2 days ago, that was close.
Yeah I'm never touching anything RetroArch.

EDIT : Reddit said closed so I thought it was closed closed, haha.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I need to go uninstall Retroarch on my machines. I literally haven't used it for years since I've filled out my original 16-bit hardware collection, but still want to often emulate some PS2 and PS1 games, but I can use standalones for those.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i am not really in the know here

retroarch claims they are forking people's work - allowed under GPL
what have they actually done?

stolen nonpublic code and attributed it to someone else?

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
i am not really in the know here

retroarch claims they are forking people's work - allowed under GPL
what have they actually done?

stolen nonpublic code and attributed it to someone else?
That, and some harassment, apparently. This is new to me too, and I don't have all the details yet, but it sounds bad.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
LaunchBox/BigBox is what I use.
Some initial setup getting your stuff in there and associating it with individual emulators, but their front end is very nice and offers a ton of customization

I will check this out thanks. Do we know anything about the people who make it? Cautious now that I know what the Retroarch developer is like.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
RetroArch sure is some strange folk. They were accusing us of trying to "turn back the clock 20 years" of Quake's source code, whatever that means (that's not physically possible for a start, the GPL code release will always remain and exist), and disabling modding (couldn't be further from the truth) when we did the Quake remaster. So it's especially ironic that they have an alleged habit of rebranding other people's code as their own and taking it from pre-release builds.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing to me how the only actual thing Retroarch does, be a front end, is pure shit. You've got the defenders who'll give you vague nothings as to why it's not, but it truly is the shitiest front end ever.

Just compare it to something like Retropie. Retropie actually seems like it was designed for someone from the human race and isn't filled with bugs that don't remember/ever work with your settings.

Everytime I fire Retroarch up, I'm reminded of just how terrible it is. I guess it's nice to know the person behind it is of equal footing.

It's why when people say Retroarch is on Steam and just download that for Steam Deck, I shutter. I really hope there are easy solutions for emulation on Steam Deck that don't require that trashy program.