• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Via WCCFtech (by way of dualshockers)

In the interview, which was originally reported by Wccftech, Matt Karch, the CEO of Saber Interactive, said that they tried to use their work on World War Z as an example for what they could do on Days Gone.

"Days Gone, it's a single-player experience. At some point I went to Sony and said, "I've seen what you're doing with Days Gone. Look what we're doing with World War Z. Maybe we can help you with a multiplayer component." But they were obviously too focused, and understandably, on what they needed to do to get that game out."

Them approaching Sony sure is interesting. Dismember if old.

Last edited:

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, honestly I think the single player for Days Gone is gonna be whatever so I kinda wish they had a multiplayer component to the game or at least co-op.

I don't know if I would of had Saber be the one's working on it though.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Not every game needs multiplayer and I think it will be better for it not to include it. Plus if it didn't turn out well I'm sure Sony didn't want a poor MP dragging the image of the game down if the single player turns out good.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
I think Days Gone will surprise a lot of people. I can't see it selling wel off the rip but I think it will review positively.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
I don't see how you can make Days Gone into a multiplayer game without messing with the tone of the story, but then again The Last of Us had online multiplayer so I suppose anything goes if it's profitable.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That WWZ game doesn't look good TBH. I'm glad Sony said refused.

They have TLOU2 for the post-apocalyptic multiplayer experience.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Days Gone will surprise a lot of people. I can't see it selling wel off the rip but I think it will review positively.
I think the other way around. It won't do bad critically (I think ~80 meta sounds right), but the sales should be quite surprising for some. There have been very few AAA zombie games this gen. Days Gone has that market for the taking.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Ah man, fkn Sony. Why are they so damn shook of touching multiplayer.

The worst thing is they've even shown they have the capability to make really excellent multiplayer experiences in some of their other franchises.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Sony should have went with it.

MP would have helped Days Gone not look so mediocre tbh but then again Crackdown 3 has mp and that still looks terrible so maybe not.

Oct 25, 2017
Good. How can you ask for work on something that doesn't exist? Seems desperate, but maybe these pitches happen all the time and we just don't know about them.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
How would this even work? Would they be using the assets and work already created for the main game by Bend? I can't see them just making some Frankenstein's Monster between the two very different games and having it work at all. Not to mention I can't imagine Bend would be cool with outside developers just inserting themselves after the fact and right out of the blue.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Saber Interactive made Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn, which has been described by critics as "homophobic, sexist and racist".

Stay the fuck away.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the other way around. It won't do bad critically (I think ~80 meta sounds right), but the sales should be quite surprising for some. There have been very few AAA zombie games this gen. Days Gone has that market for the taking.
True story.

Even though I hate the look of the main protagonist, I'm all in because this is a story heavy AAA zombie game.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I see it slotting in the mid 70s and being a flop sales wise. Nobody seems to care about the game, and even Sony seems to be cooling on it.
I've seen this sentiment SOOO many times lately. Ratchet Reboot, Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man. Eventually someone has to be right, they can't all beat records.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I've seen this sentiment SOOO many times lately. Ratchet Reboot, Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man. Eventually someone has to be right, they can't all beat records.

You are arguing in bad faith. There is an order of magnitude difference in the marketing pushes for those games(minus Ratchet which was sent to die) vs Days Gone. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saber makes games that are the definition of mediocrity, so hiring them would be wasted money. Unless you were really hoping for a mediocre MP part to go with the mediocre SP.
Saber's work on the Halo series is respected. They were also the studio behind Halo Online. Plus their new game, World War Z, shows great promise.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Ewwwww.

I remember the last time something like that happened, we got Tomb Raider 2013 and a really bad MP experience done by another studio that was completely disjointed from the main campaign and it really added nothing. I could see that have being the same for Saber Interactive x Days Gone. Either it's there and it's good or it's not there at all. I'll take the latter.

Oct 25, 2017
You are arguing in bad faith. There is an order of magnitude difference in the marketing pushes for those games(minus Ratchet which was sent to die) vs Days Gone. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.
The marketing will ramp up as it gets closer to launch.

And nah, Days Gone will hit at a more "casual" market that likes these type of zombie games.

Edit - Ratchet and Clank was Insomniac's most successful game before Spider-Man released btw.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Beat-it-michael-jackson-9600735-350-263.gif

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The marketing will ramp up as it gets closer to launch.
If I recall correctly, there wasn't much marketing around Horizon Zero Dawn at around this time in the year before it released, and people were actually being really negative and skeptical about the depth and overall quality of the game, main character, story etc. Days Gone isn't out until April (2 additional months than HZD). So you're right, and Sony has plenty of time to build up its marketing just like they did with HZD.

Its a Zombie game without Multiplayer? who thought this was a great idea?
Someone who made the right call.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Saber's work on the Halo series is respected. They were also the studio behind Halo Online. Plus their new game, World War Z, shows great promise.
Yeah the MCC sure is remembered fondly, World War Z might "show great promise" but I choose to judge them for what they have released not just screenshots of yet released games.