• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
https://www.dualshockers.com/no-more-heroes-3-trailer-features-stolen-animation/

A surprise accusation puts a damper on the hype generated from last night's No More Heroes 3 trailer: it stole animation from another studio.

Last night fans of the No More Heroes franchise were treated to a crazy awesome trailer for No More Heroes 3 during The Game Awards. However, it seems that there's a glaring issue only exposed now — according to Studio Plumeau the brief FX animation that flashes across the game's title logo is plagiarized completely from the studio. Plumeau's Twitter account even posted a side by side comparison showing the exact frames of animation that were lifted:

This may have been gotten from an asset pack as noted below*

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
That looks 1:1, damn.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Seems that it was stolen by a software and it has been used as a part of that ever since. They probably didn't know.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
as pointed out in one of the replies, it seems the culprit is actually a company called Envato, who made a pack of animations, which NMH team probably bought

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Between this and all of that stolen Sony animation, it's a shame to see this happening so often.

As stated above, it's probably not plagiarism coming from Grasshopper's end, but it's just unfortunate how easy it is for people to directly lift animation and art, often times not getting called out for it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we've been through this in the other thread. That specific animation is featured in a stock AE pack that's sold online through Envato.

It was likely traced (the animators' video is from 2013, while the asset pack is from 2014) but there's no way the trailer houses would've known about this. Grasshopper/Shirogumi/Kamikaze Douga/AC-Bu aren't to blame here.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I am sure the management doesn't have a clue what one of their animation guys did . I am pretty sure it will be sorted out in a civil manner very soon. Shit like this always happen and doesn't have to end with bad blood anyway

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
first that japanese playstation ad and now this? so animation was stolen....but a while ago for a FX asset pack and then sold for use I imagine? this is so fuckin weird. Sucks regardless tho if thats the case

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Oh shit I've used Envato in the past. Didn't realize they sold stolen assets.Makes sense though, it's mostly user sold stuff.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Ok yeah the existence of the Evanto pack makes it seem pretty clear that they didn't steal the animation directly. Still sucks, but not really their fault.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
but do we know Grasshopper bought it from Evanto? Or it's just people assuming?
Studio Plumeau have claimed to have their animation plagiarized in the past, and they're also a very small, obscure studio (three people) with a tiny following. The fact that this animation has existed in the hands of other people since 2014, especially on a large commercial site designed to provide professional digital assets, means it's far more likely to assume this effect would've been gotten from there or a similar middleman, especially since we're talking about a trailer that was developed by 3+ trailer studios.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Folks compared the two animations, and the NMH animation more closely matches the Evanto version.
Studio Plumeau have claimed to have their animation plagiarized in the past, and they're also a very small, obscure studio (three people) with a tiny following. The fact that this animation has existed in the hands of other people since 2014, especially on a large commercial site designed to provide professional digital assets, means it's far more likely to assume this effect would've been gotten from there or a similar middleman, especially since we're talking about a trailer that was developed by 3+ trailer studios.

Oh I see. I can't watch the YT video in the replies due work's proxy, but I assume there's where this is explained/detailed, no? If so, Evanto it's in deep trouble.

Oct 26, 2017
Is it possible that the animation, being at the time the property of Studio Plumeau (I assume this is a company?) and was deliberately sold to Evanto, but the animator just somehow didn't get the memo?

Edit: ^Oh, maybe it's unlikely if they're like single digit tiny unless someone among them did this behind the others' backs?

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
but do we know Grasshopper bought it from Evanto? Or it's just people assuming?
It's almost 1:1. If you're asking if it's possible they stole the effect from Evanto without paying then I suppose it could be, but no where near as clear-cut as the Plumeu accusation.
EDIT: Ah, I see your other reply.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, I read this as something like 3D character animation. Something that exists purely within the trailer realm as a video effect is a bit of a jump given how the title is worded (not that it's wrong obviously).

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Another layer of depth: Envato is a marketplace-esque service, meaning someone else actually ripped it off and Envato were just complicit

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New news if you haven't seen it, but it's possible that another company is to blame?

lol

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
as pointed out in one of the replies, it seems the culprit is actually a company called Envato, who made a pack of animations, which NMH team probably bought

envato's about to get wrecked.
Just FYI, Envato is a digital marketplace. They aren't the creators of the pack, but they host whomever made the animation pack and can take action against them if there is proof of theft (which there appears to be!). I use plugins and transition packs, etc. sold on Envato, heh.

EDIT - Looks like someone clarified right before I did.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use Envato and yeah it's just digital marketplace for a lot of assets. Someone probably plagiarized the studio's work and resold it on Envato, it's really hard to check if the work is stolen, especially like a bundle like this, when it comes to animation. You cant easily do a reverse lookup on the internet

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

The truth seems to be that these digital resellers are allowing people to sell plagiarized works without any consequences. Exposing animators and digital video artists to the use of copyrighted contents without their knowledge

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Update:

The animator reached out and the theory was true. A user sold a fraudulent asset pack on a digital asset marketplace and the animator used it without knowledge that it was full of stolen animation. They simply could not have known it was the case since the marketplace is supposed to be original content.

Suda Responds

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Not sure if this is still a topic of interest for anyone but an understanding has been made between Grasshopper and Plumeau, with the trailer staying up as-is. Suda apologises to all studios involved.

Oct 26, 2017
Super amazing that Suda personally apologized. Hope this is all settled. Obviously no-one can guarantee this won't happen again (like Envato would have to track back every current asset and then some, and do so in the future which is a big undertaking I'd think), but still good to see this has been settled and a very professional manner. :)

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this is still a topic of interest for anyone but an understanding has been made between Grasshopper and Plumeau, with the trailer staying up as-is. Suda apologises to all studios involved.

Suda still classy as always. Glad it seems to be alright

Texan365

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it seems to be resolved. Wish every situation could be handled with this much tact by everyone involved.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Suda's such a cool guy. Makes me glad that I picked up a copy of Travis Strikes Again in response to the new NMH3 trailer.

OP
OP
Okabe

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
In the end we are all satisfied

Mods feel free to close this thread