• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up thanks to Wario64's tweet earlier today. Just about $26 from Walmart, not bad!

I'll mess with it tomorrow sometime. Really looking forward to having back buttons at an affordable price on home consoles :D

Oct 27, 2017
I called my Walmart again before I gave up for the day and I guess they were allowed to put them out now. I just got back with one and it seems really well designed. The bottom placement is FAR better than the Strike Pack.

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
Picked one up from Target before going to work. Guy nearly didn't sold it since they're not out till tomorrow. The Walmart I went to before it refused though.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone please test to see if this works with DS4Windows?
Damn, I never thought about this and PC compatibility. If I get one tomorrow I'll post my results.

Ah, so it doesn't add a button, it just lets you map any button to it? Interesting.

Also, does that screen not seem overly large?
I have a feeling if the DS5 comes with back buttons, they will be extra buttons, but only for PS5 games.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I was worried it wasn't going to allow you to map L3/R3 like some of the plug-and-play 3rd party offerings, but looks like you can:

0jdodpkl.jpg
This is great specially for sprinting and aiming in shooters

Any idea if you can map 2 buttons on one?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Praise Wario64! Got mine from Walmart as well, $25 as well. No need to anything, I just ask for it and payed for it.

Keekon

Mar 30, 2019
Headphone socket works great. The headphones I use has a big jack so it's actually easier to use.

The bump in the middle doesn't get in my way like I thought it would. Unless I'm actively using it, I kinda forget it's there. Although I am starting to wish it was 4 buttons instead of 2, like legit I wouldn't be mad if the Dualshock 5 had four back buttons and only two on the top.
Thanks for the info buddy!

Agree that 4 buttons would be ideal but I'll take what I can get.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I can conformed they're available at Target now. Yesterday they weren't available around me but today I ordered in-store pick-up and just picked one up.

I canceled my Amazon pre-order.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Confirming they will happily sell them to you now at Target. They didn't have them on the floor but when I asked for 2 of them the guy said 'oh yeah we have those in the back' and brought them out out for me. $29.99 each.

Worth noting that my Target only had 4, and the giant Walmart I went to yesterday also only had 4 according to their inventory system (but the guy couldn't find them in the back supposedly to sell them to me). My guess is that these aren't going to be easy to find once the initial allocation sells out since each store is getting so few.

As for the item itself I'm really impressed with it. Installation is a little tricky but once it's on it's rock solid. I've never used an Elite controller but while I'm sure the Elite is better the enormous difference in price for a portion of its key capability (2 paddles instead of 4) is pretty hard to ignore. No brainer at this price point, particularly if you can get it for $25 at WalMart.

Programming is quick and easy and it works great. L3 and R3 are definitely programmable to the buttons, as are up down left and right d-pad directions. There are some cool possibilities here.

I just played some Bloodstained with the left back button mapped to triangle and the right back button mapped to R1. Made it a lot of fun to fly around with the accelerator and use the triangle-button-bound shard whenever without moving my hands. I can see this helping a lot of PS4 speedrunners to improve times or at least compete with PC folks a bit better.

I'm also interested to see if PS4 games can register both left and right or up and down at the same time as a result of this. If so it could make for some interesting glitches to become possible in a number of games...

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Here are my impressions so far.

I like it a lot! Installation is easy: Just snap it into your DualShock 4 while it's powered off. It fits snugly and feels very secure; no wiggle or give.

It adds a little bit of bulk and heft to the controller. It's a noticeable amount of additional weight, but not enough to be uncomfortable or anything like that.

It will potentially change your grip of the controller a little bit. For people that only keep your two index fingers up top for L1/L2/R1/R2, your middle fingers will fall naturally onto the back buttons. For people that keep both index and middle fingers up top for L1/L2/R1/R2 (this is how I grip), your ring fingers will fall naturally onto the back buttons.

The action for pressing the back buttons is more like moving whatever fingers you have on them outwards, not upwards (towards the top of the controller). The buttons are clicky and have a nice action and very short travel on them. They're resistant enough to prevent most accidental clicks I would think, but you will probably hit them accidentally for a bit while you learn how to use them.

Programming the buttons is easy and intuitive. Click the screen/circle on the back to show your current profile. Hold the button down to edit the current profile, then press the back buttons to cycle through the available assignments (you can also hold the back buttons down to scroll through the available assignments). Double-press to switch profiles; the devices supports up to 3 profiles.

One thing to keep in mind is that the left and right sides are swapped when looking at the back of the controller. Might seem obvious, but I originally set up my buttons backwards because I didn't think it through, and then noticed it immediately when I held the controller normally and pressed the back buttons. lol

These are all of the 16 available assignments (listed in the order they cycle on the device):
  • Triangle, Circle, X (Cross), Square
  • Up, Right, Down, Left on the d-pad
  • L1, R1, L2, R2, L3, R3
  • Options
  • No assignment
As you can see, the Share button and Touchpad are not available. Also, no button combinations.

The main thing I've used this for so far is Horizon Zero Dawn, which I was almost done playing before I got the device. I set my back buttons to heal (Up on d-pad) on the left and dodge/roll (Circle) on the right, so I can perform those actions while in the middle of combat and without having to take my thumbs off the sticks. It works great! I feel like I have much more mobility and control, after I got past the first few awkward minutes of trying to remember they were there and basically learning how to use them. I can see these being very useful in any 3D action game and any shooters. I'm curious and excited to see what other applications I can find for it in other genres.

Overall, I like it a lot and I think the price is very reasonable to get this feature without needing to upgrade to a much more expensive "pro" controller. I got it at Walmart for $25 and it's totally worth it. I'm excited to see if this feature is built into the DualShock 5!

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Went to a Target yesterday and found one, but they wouldn't sell it as it rang up as a preorder. Early this morning I placed an order for store pickup and got it this afternoon - by then, all the Targets around me that listed as "in stock" this morning were sold out, so it seems like either only a very few were provided to each store or it was a very hot item.

All around, the confusion/inconsistency around release dates and availability of the product is pretty awful. Sony generally has a solid distribution pipeline for accessories so I'm not sure what's up here.

In terms of how it actually performs, I agree with a lot of what's been written here already. Works well, it's comfortable, feels sturdy, using it is intuitive, and mapping L3/R3 felt great in Borderlands. Very glad they released this - just wish distribution was better and it sorts itself out in a few days/weeks so everyone who wants one has a chance to get one without frustration.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Got 2 at my Target.

They're very nicely tactile, it's a very good click action, but I'm finding that they definitely disrupt the ergonomics of the controller a lot, and I'm one of the strange people that finds the Dual Shock 4 to be the most comfortable by default. Had to give my fingers a good stretch after playing about 30 minutes of CODMW.

They do the trick nicely but I still find the Xbox Elite 2 controller to be far and away better in terms of where the paddles rest, though I like the tactile feedback of these more.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Confirming they will happily sell them to you now at Target. They didn't have them on the floor but when I asked for 2 of them the guy said 'oh yeah we have those in the back' and brought them out out for me. $29.99 each.

Worth noting that my Target only had 4, and the giant Walmart I went to yesterday also only had 4 according to their inventory system (but the guy couldn't find them in the back supposedly to sell them to me). My guess is that these aren't going to be easy to find once the initial allocation sells out since each store is getting so few.

As for the item itself I'm really impressed with it. Installation is a little tricky but once it's on it's rock solid. I've never used an Elite controller but while I'm sure the Elite is better the enormous difference in price for a portion of its key capability (2 paddles instead of 4) is pretty hard to ignore. No brainer at this price point, particularly if you can get it for $25 at WalMart.

Programming is quick and easy and it works great. L3 and R3 are definitely programmable to the buttons, as are up down left and right d-pad directions. There are some cool possibilities here.

I just played some Bloodstained with the left back button mapped to triangle and the right back button mapped to R1. Made it a lot of fun to fly around with the accelerator and use the triangle-button-bound shard whenever without moving my hands. I can see this helping a lot of PS4 speedrunners to improve times or at least compete with PC folks a bit better.

I'm also interested to see if PS4 games can register both left and right or up and down at the same time as a result of this. If so it could make for some interesting glitches to become possible in a number of games...

How hard is it to switch between controllers each time the charge runs out?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Brickseek said my Wal-Mart had them in-stock but I ran over there and they had nothing. There are a few Targets about 20min away that had them in-stock but I didn't feel like driving to get it. I just figured I'll wait until I can easily walk into a local store and pick one up.

The release date on this thing is very odd.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Brickseek said my Wal-Mart had them in-stock but I ran over there and they had nothing. There are a few Targets about 20min away that had them in-stock but I didn't feel like driving to get it. I just figured I'll wait until I can easily walk into a local store and pick one up.

You can just do in store pickup now, no need to brickseek.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017

Try checking the Target website for in-store pickup. You purchase it online and pick it up in the store in a couple hours.

Yeah the date was odd ever since preorders opened when it was announced. Every website said something different and time didnt change anything.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Is it possible to bind totally different actions and buttons on the attachment while using Steam or it still emulate two buttons from the DS4?
Steam doesn't see the extra 2 buttons on its own. It only sees the current mapping from the attachment. So when you map the buttons using the attachment, Steam just knows the button assignments presented.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Picked one up at Target today. Been trying to see if this is a good use for FGs, Tekken in particular.

While it is nice to remap a couple of inputs I'm not sure its worth it to sacrifice the controllers ergonomics. I'm someone who puts their index fingers on the bumpers and the back buttons force me to move them bit more towards the triggers in order to press the back buttons comfortably. Maybe I have to give it more time to get used to but my initial impressions for Tekken are a no go.

Gonna try them on MHW next. Imagine itll be a lot more useful and intuitive there since it requires dual stick use and a lot button combinations for item scrolling/use.

Robbo3

Feb 22, 2018
I believe this attachment would work well in PUBG, not released until 14/2/20 here in the UK though.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
You can just do in store pickup now, no need to brickseek.
brickseek for WM is good for finding it $5 cheaper. Found 4 at another WM today and picked one up, hardest part was finding someone to unlock the case

Since target and Walmart have broken street date, I wonder if we'll see more places selling them this week.
target has had it listed for 1/19 release for over a month. It makes no sense that each retailer has a different release date lol

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I bought it today, tried it for a few minutes and it's just not for me. Seems really solid and simple to use for people that want something like this, but I just don't think I will ever be a paddle / back button user. I just can't train my brain to use it properly.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Since target and Walmart have broken street date, I wonder if we'll see more places selling them this week.

What's weird is that different retailers have different release dates. Target always had it as today. Meanwhile head on over to Best Buy's website and they show it as preorder with release day on Tuesday Feb 4. It's bizarre.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
amidst all the repeating same questions, i think this needs to be stickied on OP

THIS THING AND ITS FUNCTIONALITY IS CONFIGURED AND PROGRAMMED ON THE DUALSHOCK CONTROLLER (VIA THE ATTACHMENT) ITSELF. THE ENDPOINT CLIENT YOU ARE CONNECTING YOUR DUALSHOCK4+BACK BUTTON ATTACHMENT TO (PS4,PS3,PC,ETC) HAS NO BEARING ON ITS FUNCTIONALITY. IT WILL 99.9% WORK BE IT PC OR PS3.

TL;DR - AS LONG AS YOUR ENDPOINT WORKS WITH DS4, IT WILL WORK WITH THIS.