• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It feels like the honeymoon phase is wearing off. It's anecdotal obviously but between here and other places on the internet people seem to be lukewarm on the triggers in specific. Combine that with reports of the triggers breaking and well I'm curious to see where things go from here. I'm not negative on their future per say but I can see it mostly becoming a gimmick outside of maybe some Sony first party titles. I think at bare minimum it will be interesting to see how developers decide to use the triggers in the future.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I love it, defo not for MP though. It would add to the time needed to shoot and that's not what you want haha.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Implementation is key, and we are still at the beginning of the generation, the important thing is that people continue to give feedback so that devs can find the right balance in how and when to use these features. Personally I think the triggers are really cool and Sony has a lot of merit for introducing something different and refreshing, the DualSense is easily the most "next-gen" thing on these new consoles IMO.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like the honeymoon phase is wearing off. It's anecdotal obviously but between here and other places on the internet people seem to be lukewarm on the triggers in specific. Combine that with reports of the triggers breaking and well I'm curious to see where things go from here. I'm not negative on their future per say but I can see it mostly becoming a gimmick outside of maybe some Sony first party titles. I think at bare minimum it will be interesting to see how developers decide to use the triggers in the future.

Your initial post didn't read as specific to the triggers. Also, what makes you feel like this though? Putting the positive threads regarding the DualSense aside, even in threads similar to this one, there isn't a consensus shift in relation to the DualSense, at least not one that I can spot. Plenty people say they like the implementation in game X but that it's poor/should be better in game Z.

I mean, from what I read, reviews included, most stated these features would shine mostly by way of first party games due to them not being available everywhere and requiting more time/effort. That doesn't feel like a substantial discovery or consensus shifting knowledge, especially as it was widely expected (i.e reviews)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest it's just natural that discourse will err towards the hype of the new hotness at the beginning.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love them in COD campaign and playing zombies on my own. It adds a lot to the immersion, imo and makes the standard COD experience a lot more fun and interesting. That being said, I always turn it off for multiplayer, obviously.

BuggeryBugz

Oct 29, 2017
definitely not a big fan in shooters at the moment. It's sort of novel in the beginning but I couldn't finish the COD campaign with them on.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
The controller as a whole shines most in Astro & WRC9. I've certainly not played any games were I've considered turning down or off the trigger resistance and that includes 25+ hours of CoD MP and completing the campaign on Veteran. At the opposite end, I've not gone back to AC:V after my initial session in which the complete lack of DualSense features felt jarring.

Oct 27, 2017
Love it, even in Call of Duty multiplayer. After playing these games every year, I'll take the new innovation over worrying about milliseconds of delay or my K/D ratio. I experimented with turning them off, but it just felt so dull without, and my performance in multi is back to being fairly standard for me anyway now I've got used to it.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I like it a lot for PvE content, feel a more direct connection with the weapon and recoil, but it's unfortunately not a feature that's implemented well for PvP yet. Just slows you down.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Okay so it's not just me for Demon's Souls being janky with the bow trigger. That's a relief.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've only been able to try it in Astro's Playroom, but the utilization there was excellent. I'll be trying it with Borderlands 3 soon, but I can't imagine I'll turn it off. Immersion is super cool, and the adaptive triggers are one of those things I never knew I needed.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the trigger resistance a lot! My fingers don't get tired and I'm looking forward to much more support in Games :)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm 50:50 based on how I've seen it used. The minigun thing in Astro feels really good. I like that usage! But the guns in Borderlands feel rubbish. It doesn't add any 'immersion' there, it just makes me remember that I'm holding a plastic controller with a funny trigger every time i shoot a gun. It's the opposite of immersion.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I've loved it in all the games I've played with it so far. For me it's a real game changer. I rebought a few games on ps5 just because if it.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It feels like the honeymoon phase is wearing off. It's anecdotal obviously but between here and other places on the internet people seem to be lukewarm on the triggers in specific.

Well, sure, you can find places on the Internet where people seem to be lukewarm on something. The Internet is vast.

Majority of people seem to like them, though. They are great.

I think I'm 50:50 based on how I've seen it used. The minigun thing in Astro feels really good.

Do you squeeze the trigger all the way? I've noticed the experience is much better if I don't press it all the way, especially in the Astro minigun. I am used to pushing it fully, but I've started relaxing my finger a bit and it's really interesting.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
I feel the exact opposite from the OP, adaptive triggers in shooters are a game changer, they add so much to gunplay feeling and immersion.
COD Cold War implementation was one of the best things I've experienced on console, so much fun and immersive to feel differences in triggers and haptic feedback for each weapon. I hope that this becomes the standard for every shooter game

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed the experience is much better if I don't press it all the way, especially in the Astro minigun. I am used to pushing it fully, but I've started relaxing my finger a bit and it's really interesting.

it's definitely best if you allow your finger to bounce back with the feedback, as you say, by not squeezing like a digital button.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I would imagine like anything there will be some great implementation while others it's just a gimmick. Hard to decipher opinions unless I try it myself. You have those who are hard to please with anything and shills on every forum (not at all aiming at anyone here, just in general).

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it in Astro and COD's campaign but I turn it off for multiplayer. I'm a fan and can't wait for more games.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Customer is always right.
Am very happy that shit like Kinect or the Sega CD were market corrected.
Fuck that. You wouldnt say that if you worked with customers personally. If we just listened to customers true creativity would be dead.

The dualsense is great. They give you options to turn it off if pressing a button a little harder affects your life that much.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only this though, but because of how it's implemented it feels that it actually harms you in any form of competitive play.
I mean having the best graphics settings harms you in competitive play. There's hardly anything that wouldnt be sacrificed by that crowd.

And you should lay blame on how its implemented, not the hardware. Devs can throw in competitive friendly customizations if they want but its doesnt seem worthwhile. Its great for the purposes it was designed for, you just dont care that much about immersive controls.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I only played a few hours of Demon's Souls as my first PS5 game yesterday but I agree that the bow implementation is like a wet fart. Very anticlimactic.

Then again I know this is the implementation specifically and it's new so it'll take a bit to see devs doing cool shit with it I think.

I know Astro's a bit of a showcase so I'll play that this weekend to see.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I love it for singleplayer, but I can completely agree that for multiplayer it's something that should be disabled.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I forgo the triggers entirely if I'm prioritizing responsiveness. R1 for life, baby.

But I don't mind the triggers for anything automatic, or a slow semi auto. If it's the kind of semi auto where I've got to be pumping out round after round manually, there's no way I'm using the trigger. For fear of breaking it most of all.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless done with care like astrobot, it doesn't add anything and can even take away from the experience

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Agreed.

I disabled it pretty much as soon as I first felt it impeding me in multiplayer.

Maybe it's good for SP games I guess. There is a way to make it useful in multiplayer too - use the resistance as an early stop point so there's a shorter trigger press and you can reset earlier.

Ryukori

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I've been preaching this since the PS5 launch day, but got a lot of backlash, mostly from people who've never even used the DualSense. It sounds cool initially, but in practice it's annoying and I'd rather turn off the feature. Glad to see people in this thread thinking the same. I think Astro's Playroom is the only game where I've liked the new DualSense features, mostly as just a showcase of how cool the technology can be. Every other game has been annoying to play with the adaptive triggers on.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I really love it for campaigns, I hope every game has it going forward. It feels bad going back to pressing a loose trigger on PS4 games.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
I've been loving them in COD, it's also the reason I picked it up in the first place over PC. Also maybe it's just me but it I've been playing better than the last couple, triggers don't interfere with burst guns.

Headshots with the Gold AUG never felt this good.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's one of the reasons why the DualSense is such an incredible controller. Though there should obviously always be an option to turn it off.

I'm disappointed the Destiny 2 update didn't include it.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
It's basically a form of DBZ training OP. Once you get used to it on PS5 you'll then be ready to play on any other platform as if you're using a turbo controller.

Real talk, I didn't like it much for competitive games until I got used to it. Now I kind of enjoy being able to "feel" what gun I'm using in Fortnite based on trigger resistance. I do still wish we could disable it on a game by game basis though.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean having the best graphics settings harms you in competitive play. There's hardly anything that wouldnt be sacrificed by that crowd.

And you should lay blame on how its implemented, not the hardware. Devs can throw in competitive friendly customizations if they want but its doesnt seem worthwhile. Its great for the purposes it was designed for, you just dont care that much about immersive controls.

Not on console cod it doesn't.

Plus, I think it's quite stark how much you're disadvantaging yourself with the trigger features. It's just an option that makes it harder to shoot. Like I say, I think with good options you could have something much more usable and responsive in online settings (turn down the tension, keep the vibration, reduce the trigger deadzone).

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I've disabled it. It was a short lived gimmick for me that draws my attention to the controller more, which isn't a good thing.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it briefly, to see how it is, and thought it was interesting.

I'd never use it in these games anyway, as I exclusively play them with mouse/keyboard.

To be honest, "the controller" as an input device has been perfect (for the games they seem intent on making) for decades now.
As much praise as this is getting, it really shouldn't inform your buying decisions.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Its a fun curiosity for single player stuff, but yeah I expect probably the first thing near everyone does who cares about competitiveness in MP will be to shut off trigger haptics- its already mostly done for any controller vibration.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I've been preaching this since the PS5 launch day, but got a lot of backlash, mostly from people who've never even used the DualSense. It sounds cool initially, but in practice it's annoying and I'd rather turn off the feature. Glad to see people in this thread thinking the same. I think Astro's Playroom is the only game where I've liked the new DualSense features, mostly as just a showcase of how cool the technology can be. Every other game has been annoying to play with the adaptive triggers on.

I skipped over the PS5 this time, after being a Sony consumer for the PS3, Vita and PS4. Game Pass was the big reason, as its an incredible value. But the DualSense was also a concern of mine.

Sony likes to add gimmicks into things or try and re-invent the wheel when its not really needed. Six Axis w/no rumble? Back touch pads on the PSVita? Giant touch-pad on the DS4 that was never really used for its intended purpose outside the first year, and then just relegated to being a giant button? So to hear from actual PS5 users that its sort of annoying and they just turn it off anyway is kind of what i expected.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Feels really awkward during apex legends

it's annoying

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Dual Sense is going to be a repeat of the HD Rumble. The game dedicated to show off the features impresses (Astro for DS, 1-2 Switch for HD Rumble), but the rest of the developers (even first party) don't give a shit and implement it in the most basic way, which ends up being more annoying than straight up not implementing it.