• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Very worried mine will exhibit this someday. I usually lose out on the hardware lottery: overheating PS1, RROD, YLOD, joycon drift, kinda noisy PS5, Xb1X Hdmi blank screen of death.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Reporting in; 1 of 3 controllers just had a trigger failure. We have been rotating them in/out so none of the 3 got more or less use; wife plays a ton of games but she rotates the controllers.

Symptoms were/are:
- it was clearly "loose" and was sitting lower than the other trigger
- it had zero pull
- wife "pulled it up" to see what would happen and a "click" happened, like it was popping something "back into place"

However, after the above, it's still significantly "looser" than the other trigger.

Oh, and it also just doesn't work lol, no "press" occurs

This is a right trigger FWIW.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed the "Rumor" tag got removed. Oof.

Good thing I decided to wait a year or two. Hopefully they'll have it sorted out by then.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
And DualShock 4s didn't have adaptive triggers and the mechanism inside them died as well. Never seemed to die this quickly though.
The pad of my first DS4 malfunctioned after a while (thanks Tekken 7), but the triggers held good under more stress than what "killed" my Dual Sense right trigger in just 2 weeks.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I would invest into this if I was buying any new nextgen controller. they will fail at some point, might as well have a way to get no questions asked replacements

BestBuy.ca

Untitled.png

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Step 1: Go to support site, follow all instructions about what to do if you think a controller is broken before contacting support, nothing works (expected)
Step 2: Follow instruction to tweet AskPlaystation at the end of the support wizard
Step 3: Have multi-tweet back and forth with AskPlaystation with them asking you to follow the instructions on the site, ending in them telling me to follow so they can follow back and DM me the super secret info
Step 4: They DM me a link to their generic support page, which is where I started, and something they could have done over twitter, and not made me follow them to DM, they don't even say what to do, literally just sent the generic link
Step 5: After being super responsive from the initial contact, they stop responding to my DMs asking them what they meant by the link they sent

lol, guess I'll call after the Holiday... that really felt like I was just being tricked into giving them a follow on twitter, there is zero reason they had to DM me.

mapoopam

Jan 8, 2018
Mine was fine until yesterday (120+ hours of use) but then I started noticing how in hollow knight I'd dash after barely resting my finger on R2. The trigger is now somewhat loose and lacking the resistance it once had, it's such a nuisance.

Weirdly enough, when the game activates the adaptive triggers functionalities (like when you're using a bow in astros playroom), the controller works the way it's meant to -- i.e. the resistance on both R2 and L2 increases and they start performing about the same.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had success getting a replacement sent out? Mine have just failed, heard a crack sound as I pushed down the right trigger playing COD and now the resistance has gone...I didn't have haptic feedback turned on either.

I need to ring Playstation support now but they're closed till Monday in the UK. Are they likely to just send me a replacement or will it be a 3 week turnaround until they can fix it?

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

anyone get this weird motor sound in Fenyx Rising?

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
Mine was fine until yesterday (120+ hours of use) but then I started noticing how in hollow knight I'd dash after barely resting my finger on R2. The trigger is now somewhat loose and lacking the resistance it once had, it's such a nuisance.

Weirdly enough, when the game activates the adaptive triggers functionalities (like when you're using a bow in astros playroom), the controller works the way it's meant to -- i.e. the resistance on both R2 and L2 increases and they start performing about the same.

Sounds like you broke the spring like mine did.

Glad to see the rumor tag removed, by the way. It is absolutely happening.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Update.

Got through to PlayStation 5 support on Thursday, they've logged it as needing a repair/replacement. Sending it in on Monday once the post office reopens. Straight forward enough, will take about 20 days or so to get back (from time of sending off to getting it back)

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, those adaptive triggers are going to be a problem. bunch of plastic gears giving resistance- people are going to wear them down/break them in no time. Cool concept, but people who are rough on controllers- it won't take them long to bust that up.
I pretty much expected this once Sony announced their new trigger features. More complicated technology & more moving parts = more things prone to break.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
My 5 year old has her own controller (Her and her brother are terrible at sharing), and the circle button seems to be sticking. Sometimes after your finger comes off it, it stays down for a moment then clicks back out...... I suspect something got spilled on it though.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Got through to Playstation Support after and hour and a half who were super helpful and have sent me my returns label through. For what it's worth the woman on the phone said 'Think my R2 is going to wear out on my keyboard from the amount of times I've entered it as a fault' lol

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
The x button on one of my DualSense is creaking already...and all the buttons feel much more mushy than in the beginning.
The X button on every Dualsense I've used develops a stickiness to it after use. It feels like it doesn't want to come back up, but always does. It's an unpleasant sensation for a button that is used so often.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
This was a factor in my next gen choice. I think they're cool at first but I had a feeling this would happen. I've had some bad DS4's even though I babied them and there's no way these triggers wouldn't be fragile

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The X button on every Dualsense I've used develops a stickiness to it after use. It feels like it doesn't want to come back up, but always does. It's an unpleasant sensation for a button that is used so often.

Yeah it feels like the controller was in use for years...i will exchange it in the summer, maybe they have some that feel different by then, makes no sense to exchange now as they will surely send a controller on the same level as the launch ones back.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
The only game they felt really weird for me was Miles. The swinging trigger started to feel really weird, and that paired with the 'web swing' sound that comes out of the controller when you hit R2, it felt squeaky and maybe broken, like it wasn't latching right, but it's the only game I experienced this with. It is not surprising however that people are reporting actually broken triggers, I've never had a new console crash as often as the PS5.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah it feels like the pad is years old...i will exchange it in the summer, maybe they have pads that feel different by then, makes no sense to exchange now as they will surely send a pad on the same level as the launch ones back.
Same. I exchanged a bunch but they all had issues so I just gave up. Because of it I'm using the console a lot less than I would have. If they would have simply made the DS4 compatible, there wouldn't be an issue.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
was worried about these triggers but in the end my dual sense just straight up died lol

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Mine's exhibiting early symptoms of this.

The tension on the right trigger is about 20% of the tension in the left one.

Furthermore, if you so much as breathe on the damn thing you'll get an input, which has fucked me over several times playing RE2 now.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Immortals is the weirdest DualSense implementation. Like, I legit think they just did it wrong. When using your farsight to look for points of interest, it engages and disengages the triggers when it seems like they mean to be using the haptics instead.
Yeah.. I had to turn it off because it didn't sit right with me & didnt feel good for the controller.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I've been alternating between my 2 controllers, but I'm sure it's bound to happen someday. I'm already founding the tension on one of them not as good as the other one. Both were perfectly fine on launch day.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I first heard about these triggers it sounded like something that could break to me

mine is fine so far though

circuit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if only people who naturally hit their buttons harder are screwed. I remember when playing The Bouncer when the ps2 came out I could rarely ever do the pressure sensitive heavy attacks while my brother could rarely ever do the light attacks.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just bought my PS5 today, and when I held the controller, I noticed that the R2 button wasn't pressing, and I had to put a bit of force on it for it go down, L2 had no problem, but now it seems R2 adaptive trigger doesn't even work. Has anyone tried to get a new controller from where they bought it?

xNiallC

May 16, 2018
If anyone in this thread is UK based, my adaptive trigger broke while playing Immortals. I contacted Amazon UK support and asked if there was a way I can get a controller replacement without returning the entire console. The support rep very kindly said I can keep my existing controller with the broken adaptive trigger, and he refunded me 15% of the entire console price (£67.50)! Turned a bad day into an extremely good one. This allowed me to get a new controller from Amazon (and treated myself to a new book). I didn't even have a huge problem with the existing controller - It worked, but the R2 had become very loose, so was easily activated by accident. Regardless, now I have a new controller and a spare for multiplayer. Hope this helps someone if they encounter this in the UK - try your luck with support before buying a new one :)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Immortals is the weirdest DualSense implementation. Like, I legit think they just did it wrong. When using your farsight to look for points of interest, it engages and disengages the triggers when it seems like they mean to be using the haptics instead.

I think they've literally just copied over the Xbox Impulse Triggers implimentation on this one.

When you looks around with your farsight on Xbox, the triggers give a little buzz/rumble to tell you that you can pull them at that place to tag something. Your fingers are always resting on the triggers by default so you feel it and I think it's fine there as it's a buzz on the button that it want's you to use. But I imagine it'd feel weird if the trigger was literally engaging some force or similar (I dunno, I haven't played Immortals on PS5).

Sounds like a buzz in the controller itself would be better in that case?

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I think they've literally just copied over the Xbox Impulse Triggers implimentation on this one.

When you looks around with your farsight on Xbox, the triggers give a little buzz/rumble to tell you that you can pull them at that place to tag something. Your fingers are always resting on the triggers by default so you feel it and I think it's fine there as it's a buzz on the button that it want's you to use. But I imagine it'd feel weird if the trigger was literally engaging some force or similar (I dunno, I haven't played Immortals on PS5).

Sounds like a buzz in the controller itself would be better in that case?
That actually makes perfect sense. I can see how it would be good with the impulse triggers, but they definitely agree they should have done it with the haptics rather than the triggers. Hopefully they can fix it in a patch, because it gets pretty damn annoying.

Oct 31, 2017
150 hours here on a single controller, about 70 of those on ps4 games, the rest on PS5 with varying levels of resistance (about 30 hours in Cold War which is probably the most trigger-intensive game I have). I'm a trigger masher for reference. No issues yet but I'll pay better attention to it now!

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
If anyone in this thread is UK based, my adaptive trigger broke while playing Immortals. I contacted Amazon UK support and asked if there was a way I can get a controller replacement without returning the entire console. The support rep very kindly said I can keep my existing controller with the broken adaptive trigger, and he refunded me 15% of the entire console price (£67.50)! Turned a bad day into an extremely good one. This allowed me to get a new controller from Amazon (and treated myself to a new book). I didn't even have a huge problem with the existing controller - It worked, but the R2 had become very loose, so was easily activated by accident. Regardless, now I have a new controller and a spare for multiplayer. Hope this helps someone if they encounter this in the UK - try your luck with support before buying a new one :)

I just wanted to say that I've got a friend that lurks here who saw this comment and contacted Amazon claiming he had a defective controller, he doesn't, they refunded him £89.99! That's insane but gotta love the customer service.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
This just happened to me. Started to AC: Valhalla and R2 was constantly engaged. Thought it was a bug at first, then I noticed the trigger felt floppy. Sure enough, it's busted.

Thankfully I have a second controller and I'm well within warranty but this will be an issue I'm keeping an eye on.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
What is the best thing to do about this? My sisters L2 has no resistance when pressed, so you constantly accidentally push it. She's only had the console for a little over a month and has COD and Miles Morales.
Pretty disappointed here.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
What is the best thing to do about this? My sisters L2 has no resistance when pressed, so you constantly accidentally push it. She's only had the console for a little over a month and has COD and Miles Morales.
Pretty disappointed here.
Does your store have a return policy for holidays or 30 days? Try to get a replacement since this counts as defective. Sony will replace the controller up to a year as well.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When people say the triggers are "loose" after this happens, is it comparable to the DS4 afterwards, or much looser?