• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I know it is ymmv but I am surprised not to have run into rest mode issues, which is all I use.
Me neither, but I'm only using an Ethernet cable for internet and no external drives, so maybe that helps a lot. Also, I disabled the USB charging feature on rest mode because I found the front USB-A port to be very unreliable, it was only charging stuff through a type C port, but nothing through micro USB like my Gold headset.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title was obviously overkill but some of you guys are ridiculous. You don't have to defend your plastic box of choice like your life is depending on it.
As of now this sounds like a normal failure rate when millions are made/sold in a short time span. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
The ridiculous thing is the ones running in here like it was some widespread thing with no proof.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Mine are fine so far. I did adjust how hard I've been pushing them down pretty early on out of an abundance of caution though. I always had a tendency to really push triggers down with an unnecessary amount of force. Helped me enjoy the effect some more as a result.

Curious how widespread this actually is. You'd think it'd be talked about everywhere if it was.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
My right trigger definitely has strange issues where it'll turn off for a second and become super sensitive.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It's because of threads like these that now I'm afraid to use my controller normally and subconsciously press triggers a bit more lightly - instead of using them like I always do.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I have no issues on my end however I should mention that I own two controllers and I do try to purposely between the controllers every time I either start a new session or the battery dies on a controller during a session so that may contribute on how little or slow my controller will degrade over time.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That's not a gaming news website/blog you are verified as editor-in-chief as? What does an editor-in-chief do in IT? Serious question

also way to ignore and cut out the rest of my post. I see you must see how silly it is for people's backs to be up against a wall

It is, I run the site in my spare time.

Also, "getting people's backs up" doesn't mean "putting them up against a wall", it's just a way of saying "annoying people"

OP
OP
EeK9X

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Thank you for changing the title. The previous title was scary and just now Dualsenses are dying like flies.

That wasn't me. Thread had already been tagged as "rumor" prior to the title change (even though its contents are nothing but facts and reports from actual users, some with video and photographic evidence). Now, it has been edited without even a hint of communication from the ones responsible. Shame to see they give in to people who can't handle tongue-in-cheek figures of speech about their plastic toys of choice.

Also, if, for some reason, literal pages of Google results and Reddit threads aren't sufficient to prove a point (not to mention actual forum users confirming the issue), I encourage incredulous folks to search Twitter for "DualSense R2". Even Bungie's Senior Community Manager for DACH had the exact same problem occur with his DS.

I'd link the tweets myself, but I have no idea what's safe or not, as I don't follow internet "personalities". In the OP, I'd pointed directly to a tweet by someone only because they'd been mentioned on this thread, but the tweet was removed as to not give them a platform. So, yeah, I'm not touching that with a 10-foot pole.

OP
OP
EeK9X

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Regarding the snap, it may be because the spring didn't simply dislodge itself, but actually snapped, as seen on this picture from a Twitter user who did a "little investigation" into their DualSense. They called this part a "feather":

feather1.jpg

And here's one in working order:

feather2.jpg

I'm sure that part is just rumored to be snapped, though.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is, I run the site in my spare time.

Also, "getting people's backs up" doesn't mean "putting them up against a wall", it's just a way of saying "annoying people"
So therefore my original statement about a member of the media isn't false. Unless do you not get reviewer codes or report news etc? I'm fascinated by your explanations in this matter

Getting peoples backs up implies anger not annoyance and I stand by my point it's odd that it would

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So therefore my original statement about a member of the media isn't false. Unless do you not get reviewer codes or report news etc? I'm fascinated by your explanations in this matter

Getting peoples backs up implies anger not annoyance and I stand by my point it's odd that it would

I don't make my living via the website, you implied I did.

I'm pretty sure we're just going to go round in circles and just argue about semantics, so I'll just leave it now. I didn't think the thread title was appropriate, I'm not the only one, and people are jumping down my throat over it. *shrug*

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people want to find "the next joy-con drift" issue in something. This is not as widespread as some are making it out and feels like there isn't a tone of evidence backing it up thus far.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't make my living via the website, you implied I did.

I'm pretty sure we're just going to go round in circles and just argue about semantics, so I'll just leave it now. I didn't think the thread title was appropriate, I'm not the only one, and people are jumping down my throat over it. *shrug*
I said you work in the media and the fact that you call yourself the editor in chief of a gaming news website pretty heavily implies that you do I don't need to imply.

EDIT: oops I do see where I said your profession. Either way my points all stand

i've even said the titles hyperbole...... the question that was never answered is I don't understand why people would be angered that people are bringing up that there MIGHT be an issue with the DualSense

Last edited:

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Ladies and gentleman, this one time, a person bought an electronic product, lets say a cellphone.
Then a few days later, his coworker with the same phone drops it. No damage is done.
By a mysterious turn of event, a few hours later, our person also drops is phone in the same exact way as his coworker. Sadly he's unlucky and his break.
In a fit of rage, our little man, jump into conclusion that cellphones will never catch on.

Oct 31, 2017
Zero issues here with my Dualsense.

The controller is way more study than the DS4. After hundreds of hours of gameplay I'm not noticing any wear and tear on my end.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the snap, it may be because the spring didn't simply dislodge itself, but actually snapped, as seen on this picture from a Twitter user who did a "little investigation" into their DualSense. They called this part a "feather":

feather1.jpg

feather2.jpg

Mine snapped exactly like that.

uMdGRkI.jpg

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I haven't put which time into mine, but it's probably only a matter of time before the triggers wear out honestly. All the components are plastic.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That happened to me, had to send it in and got a replacement.

Also fyi I never dropped the controller, it all happened by using it normally (I never pushed the triggers too hard either cause I was scared of something like this happening). SMH at some of you acting like it isn't an issue just because you don't have it.

People can experience a problem with a device without it being an "issue" though. An issue is RROD or joycon drift...something more likely to happen then something that isn't. COULD this be an issue going forward? Maybe, if it starts to happen to more and more people... But some anecdotal evidence within the realm of standard failure rates for any device is just...normal at this point. Could literally just be a bad batch of springs that the manufacturer sold to Sony.

I mean, I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people who literally opened up their PS5 at launch and couldn't even boot it up...it sucks when you're one of those people...but it's still very much the norm.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
People can experience a problem with a device without it being an "issue" though. An issue is RROD or joycon drift...something more likely to happen then something that isn't. COULD this be an issue going forward? Maybe, if it starts to happen to more and more people... But some anecdotal evidence within the realm of standard failure rates for any device is just...normal at this point. Could literally just be a bad batch of springs that the manufacturer sold to Sony.

I mean, I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people who literally opened up their PS5 at launch and couldn't even boot it up...it sucks when you're one of those people...but it's still very much the norm.

We won't know for some time, just like with the RROD and joy con issues. Both tend to take months and months of use to happen.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We won't know for some time, just like with the RROD and joy con issues. Both tend to take months and months of use to happen.

Exactly. This is all normal...until it stop being. But we won't know for months if not years... Doesn't seem to be stopping some people in here acting like it's the new RROD though 😂

Oct 27, 2017
My anecdotal evidence of that being related to the trigger is that the agent asked if it had become "loose" as soon as I said that there was a problem with it. I'd only mentioned that I'd heard a snap and that the trigger was not working properly afterwards. Take that as you will.
Imo this seems like a perfectly rational thing to ask if you already mentioned you heard a snap or it wasn't working. Buttons breaking like that and getting loose is a common issue for any controller.

not trying to downplay your experience tho, that sucks. Mine is still kicking after, idk, 100 hours maybe? But I do fear there will be some defects since it's a new item, the adaptive triggers that is

OnChill

Dec 7, 2017
Got the same problem with my dualsense. R2 trigger feels loose. While playing Warzone, only the slightest touch on the trigger and the gun fires. No more resistance like before. L2 trigger is fine, no issue there. Really annoying if you want to play stealthy.

Called support (The Netherlands) and they told me to send it for repair.I'll wait with that till after the holidays.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
A lot of people trying to play defense for Sony in this thread when in reality it serves a useful indicator of a potential weakness.

If you've put 100 hrs in and your controller isn't broken, great!

But if you play for 1000 hrs and you have a sensitive, loose R2 trigger you now know an issue this can be attributed to and seek to get the correct fix, whether warranty or repair.

Hiding these issues to defend Sony's honour does nothing for anyone and just comes off looking pretty sad...

Wtfpigeons

Aug 6, 2020

feather1.jpg

feather2.jpg

Nah mine snapped, I can hear it rattle in there and I have zero resistance.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
reminds me of how the xbox elite controller v1 had issues with the bumpers spring mechanism being supported by a small piece of plastic. was a simple DIY fix though.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having "drift" with one of mine, though Im not sure it's drift in the usual sense. The sticks are just very sensitive and they can keep moving if their return to center isn't perfect, and it can happen in any direction.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
From coil whine to drift and all the moving parts in the controller, I worry about PS5's longevity. They are the reasons it's solely and exclusives machine for me.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
This thread is embarrassing, why are we arguing over a broken controller that is being replaced under warranty?

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how wide spread this is but it has the potential to be depending on the quality of parts used. When the triggers are "resisting" your natural tendency is to push harder.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just discovered this last night.
Right trigger was just limp, if that makes sense.
Blamed my son constantly replaying the climbing portions of Astrobot's Playroom, but he loves it.
Lol.
As long as it's covered/replaced under warranty, no biggie.
Just surprised the DualSense didn't last a full two months.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Me neither, but I'm only using an Ethernet cable for internet and no external drives, so maybe that helps a lot. Also, I disabled the USB charging feature on rest mode because I found the front USB-A port to be very unreliable, it was only charging stuff through a type C port, but nothing through micro USB like my Gold headset.
I am on ethernet, external SSD, and usb charging enabled for comparison.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprise to see a lot of people jump on this thread claiming they're having no issue. The PS5 is only a month and some change old after all. But I have to say, the adaptive triggers being a long term issue was the most obvious thing I could have called. While I imagine the issues aren't too widespread right now I think it's only a matter of time before more controllers start experiencing similar issues. My grim predictions were only solidified when I saw spawnwave's tear down of the controller showing that the adaptive triggers were using plastic parts. Plastic is plastic, and when you're having it apply pressure against other plastic parts by design I feel like it's only a matter of time before those parts break in some way.

I hope I'm wrong and this never becomes a widespread issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more reports of broken triggers in year 2 of the PS5.