• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The controller, like it turned red one time, and then it was gold another time. I couldn't figure that out.
I am 99% sure that is a feature. I would say a modest number of games on the PS4 connected the DS4's LEDs to what was happening in game; the LEDs would turn red and blue if you were being chased by police for example, in Witcher 3 the LEDs changed based on what sign you currently had equipped, etc.

Those LED settings carried over to the DualSense for PS4 games, not sure of any native PS5 game using it so far.
What game was turning red and gold for you?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I am 99% sure that is a feature. I would say a modest number of games on the PS4 connected the DS4's LEDs to what was happening in game; the LEDs would turn red and blue if you were being chased by police for example, in Witcher 3 the LEDs changed based on what sign you currently had equipped, etc.

Those LED settings carried over to the DualSense for PS4 games, not sure of any native PS5 game using it so far.
What game was turning red and gold for you?

I can't remember. I have so many. It just felt weird but I'm not worried about it or anything. Thank you for looking into it though.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Thread title was obviously overkill but some of you guys are ridiculous. You don't have to defend your plastic box of choice like your life is depending on it.
As of now this sounds like a normal failure rate when millions are made/sold in a short time span. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can you turn off the resistive functionality?
Yeah in the system settings you can either control the strength of the triggers and haptics or turn it off altogether.

Settings > Accessories > Controllers > Vibration/Trigger Effect Intensity. Both have 3 options for intensity and an option to turn it off.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
People are widely criticizing several PS5 things, but the controller seems pretty good so far.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I have had to return one for sticking face buttons. I do fear for the mechanism in the triggers. I don't know why so many people feel the need to come in and tell us their controller is working like people think there is a 100% failure rate.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The more pressing discussion would be why Sony has not managed to push out a firnware update for several weeks now and a lot of people still can't use their ps5 due to various issues.

Controller seems to be working fine for the vast majority

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Playing immortals right now and the way the triggers click and sputter when using the zoom vision to tag objects makes me really nervous. Hopefully irrational on my part.

Used it for over 150 hours with no issues but not much time in the grand scheme of things.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
What are the issues with the firmware that is keeping from playing their systems?

Stuff like the CE-108255-1 error that pops up for some people in every game and prevents them from playing anything, yet Sony seems to be 50:50 on taking consoles jn or saying it's a firmware problem that will get fixed.
The discussion has died down quite a bit in the last weeks but I would assume that's mainly because the "big problems" are known by now and everybody is waiting for a) a fix or b) Sony acknowledging it's a hardware issue and sending out replacement units

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like the CE-108255-1 error that pops up for some people in every game and prevents them from playing anything, yet Sony seems to be 50:5p on taking consoles jn or saying it's a firmware problem that will get fixed.
The discussion has died down quite a bit in the last weeks but I would assume that's mainly because the "big problems" are known by now and everybody is waiting for a) a fix or b) Sony acknowledging it's a hardware issue and sending out replacement units
Hmm..hope they sort it out, but what does this mean:
yet Sony seems to be 50:5p on taking consoles jn
?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I have two I've been using since launch and though I haven't had any issues, my friend had one where the left side was definitely easier to press than the right on Astro etc. He exchanged it at the store for a new one and that one was fine (he had bought a spare).

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Stuff like the CE-108255-1 error that pops up for some people in every game and prevents them from playing anything, yet Sony seems to be 50:5p on taking consoles jn or saying it's a firmware problem that will get fixed.
Everything I've seen so far from people who had the CE-108255-1 error was solved by clearing the caches and reinstalling the game.

The last update to both the main firmware and the controller firmware was on Dec 9, and many games had updates to fix their own issues.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Agreed. If it were simply a longevity issue, it wouldn't be happening within a month of the product's release. Could be a bad batch, early adopter tax, or something else entirely. Luckily, I have a spare controller, but accessories are only covered by a three-month warranty here, so I hope it doesn't keep happening, especially after said period.
Could be a bad batch for my controllers as both were from the pre-launch. Hopefully these can get cycled out quickly since the damage is done very soon after first use.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Everything I've seen so far from people who had the CE-108255-1 error was solved by clearing the caches and reinstalling the game.

Stuff like external drives causing problems, rest mode causing problems etc has still not been addressed either.
(im not saying those issues are as widespread as some doomposts want us to believe, but the system is definitely on the unstable side atm)

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Stuff like external drives causing problems, rest mode causing problems etc has still not been addresses either.
(im not saying those issues are as widespread as some doomposts want us to believe, but the system is definitely on the unstable side atm)
Yeah it's definitely a good idea to avoid rest mode.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Mine is completely fine. Its far too early to try and extrapolate this as wide spread just because there is noise on the internet about it.

It took a while and a preponderance of evidence for the RROD or JoyCon drift issues to be confirmed.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
My sticks started drifting after the last controller update. Waiting for the next one to see if they fix it but I'm getting kind of irritated.

Funny thing for me is that my launch joy cons still don't drift but my month old Dualsense does. What luck....

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
as far as the "dropping like flies" hyperbole" I see you work in the media? Isn't that your professions wheelhouse? You should be used to colleagues haveing clickbait headlines.

I actually work in IT, so... Hmm. Click baiting titles are annoying full stop, and this is no different.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
My sticks started drifting after the last controller update. Waiting for the next one to see if they fix it but I'm getting kind of irritated.

Funny thing for me is that my launch joy cons still don't drift but my month old Dualsense does. What luck....

You indeed have a rarity if your JoyCons don't drift lol. Lucky.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I would have assumed that they'd fix the issue with triggers because this was a common problem with PS4 controllers as well. Emphasizing more pressure sensitivity should have come with better designs to mitigate what's already a very common problem with the spring on the triggers.

Unless I'm understanding it wrong, it's even the same problem with the same solution. The spring becomes the culprit. It now just takes more work and tinkering to solve.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me a few weeks ago. Not in a situation I'm interested in paying to ship something just for a warranty replacement, so I repaired it by taking the spring out of a broken DS4 I had laying around for parts. Restored the tension to R2 as good as new.

brentech

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had any problems playing through a few games (easily over 100h), but I've only played astrobot through platinum that makes use of the adaptive triggers.
With that said, feeling that trigger effect gave me an immediate thought of, "yea, this won't work in a few years at best". I really hope to get to use it with the new Gran Turismo, but have my doubts.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
That happened to me, had to send it in and got a replacement.

Also fyi I never dropped the controller, it all happened by using it normally (I never pushed the triggers too hard either cause I was scared of something like this happening). SMH at some of you acting like it isn't an issue just because you don't have it.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Playing immortals right now and the way the triggers click and sputter when using the zoom vision to tag objects makes me really nervous. Hopefully irrational on my part.

Used it for over 150 hours with no issues but not much time in the grand scheme of things.
I thought the same while playing Immortals and today it happened...
My R2 button is suddenly pretty loose and triggers a heavy attack when I just slightly touch the button. Pretty annoying :(
I try to open it tomorrow and hope the spring is not broken...

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I expect that should any part of that controller eventually fail, it would most likely be the triggers. Given my understanding of what is happening underneath.

Like any controller on any console though, you're gonna have faulty ones from day one.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere between 80-100 hours of total gametime among two controllers, nephews involved, both are functioning normally.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
No issues on both of my launch controllers. The only "issue" I have is the dirt that the little symbols catch (after trying to get good times in astro my hands started sweating a lot and man...that was a gross controller to clean), but its probably a personal thing.

Best controller ever. Miles ahead Series X one.
really my guy

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually work in IT, so... Hmm. Click baiting titles are annoying full stop, and this is no different.
That's not a gaming news website/blog you are verified as editor-in-chief as? What does an editor-in-chief do in IT? Serious question

also way to ignore and cut out the rest of my post. I see you must see how silly it is for people's backs to be up against a wall

Last edited:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The ways the controllers feel when certain feedback features are supported do make me think like it's broken sometimes heh

The Tech doing it's job I guess lol

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
There should be a calibration app or setting where you can test out if everything is still alright.
I use way more games without real dual sense support so I wouldn't even know.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for changing the title. The previous title was scary and just now Dualsenses are dying like flies.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
God. People predicted this from day one so I hope this doesn't become a thing...

So far I've pretty much only played PS4 games, so no issues for me

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No problems so far after 100+ hours.

But when i read how many controllers some people go through in a generation it wouldn't shock me one bit if the DualSense isn't strong enough to withstand the energy of some gamers.