• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
No issues with the triggers on the three DS4 pads that my household has played with for over a thousand hours each.
Lucky you. I had three of them break with <200 hrs logged on each. The R2 went on all three and the L2 went on one. The little plastic prongs that clip them into the main housing broke on them.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This happens with every new console.

Somehow, heavy handed folks are ripping their controllers apart.

Meanwhile, mine last the entire gen.

🤔

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
"dropping like flies"

*reads topic, no one has issues and OP has a reddit google search as source*

I mean...you can literally do a Google search on anything breaking to get thousands or millions of hits.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Adaptive triggers were a mistake, way too prone to break.

DualSense-adaptive-trigger-teardown-2.jpg

look at the cheapo spring in the bottom right. combine that with the plastic screw mechinism which gives the resistance and it is clear why the spring is broken sooner or later.

the spring is way too finicky to withstand the resistance in the long run.
Long term, I'd be more concerned about wear and tear on the plastic gears. But the spring isn't unique to the adaptive trigger design.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I've had no issues with my triggers so far and honestly this doesn't seem nearly as widespread as something like Joycon Drift, seems to just be a few cases but we'll know more over time if it's a proper issue. One of my DualSense controllers does have kind of a sticky X button though which is a bit annoying.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If it's mechanical, it's going to break eventually. We'll see how these hold up.

They can push back really hard. I turned mine down to medium to save my fingers but that will make the mech last longer, too.

Ovaltine

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm this happened to me - about 50 hours of Demons Souls, 10 hours of Miles Morales and 10 hours of Black Ops totally loosened my R2 trigger. It doesn't really have any resistance when I pull down now and in some FPS games will shoot with the slightest brush up of my finger.

Sony customer service is going to fix it but I have to pay for shipping.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal and I bought a second controller but for a $70 controller I definitely would expect it to handle the wear and tear of the adaptive triggers better.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to return three controllers due to their face buttons/dpad buttons getting stuck or not registering correctly.

I have not had any issues with the triggers yet, but my first thought when using them is that any device that creates variable mechanical resistance is going to break a lot sooner than ones that don't.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It seems people are focusing way too much on the thread's title and ignoring its actual contents and the many references I provided. I didn't link to other forums because I didn't know if it was allowed (even if it's not that one). Also, this:

It sucks that it happened, but putting a thread title like that is only going to get people's backs up. I just asked around a group of friends all with PS5s and the crew from my site, nobody has had anything like this, or heard about it. Absolutely not downplaying it as it's all circumstantial, but c'mon... "Dropping like flies"... Really?

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've used the DualSense for around 40+ hours (estimated) and no issues. Trigger's are working fine.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly nervous about this. Only just got my ps5 and I love the adaptive triggers. You can actually hear it adjusting while playing Fifa as the players get more tired and the run button gets harder and harder to use as the game goes on. Then if you sub someone on you hear constant shifting of the resistance as you pass the ball about.

Love it in assassins creed Valhalla too, makes me use the bow and arrow as weapon of choice.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
No issues here other than I feel like I have to clean it alot more often :p am filthy.

Been using it on PC too probs over 200 hours used by now.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Best controller ever. Miles ahead Series X one.
Not sure why your are bringing console wars into this thread but I doubt it.

Inflammatory thread title aside, my experience with Sony consoles from the OG PlayStation to PS4 (OG,Slim,Pro) is their QA on hardware is absolute utter garbage.

Just the last gen I've used EBGames promotions to trade in my DS4 + $20 (Canadian) to swap for another controller at least 3 times. My pro still sounds like a Harley when I attempt to use it.

Multiple threads here concerning hardware issues or annoynances with PS5

No way it is widespread as claimed in OT as I'm sure it would have made the media circuit.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Terrible, clickbait title is working the opposite of what was intended, even if the points made and examples shown are good.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Zero issues after more than 100 hours of play BUT the DS seems to be a rather complex mechanical construction so something becoming dislodged seems inevitable in at least a few units.

I mean it's not like the Joy-Con drift where the whole thing is more or less built to malfunction but it definitely has more possibilities to fail than a traditional controller.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Nothing happening to mine yet but I would be lying if I said it wasn't a concern of it being a possibility. Especially for launch controllers.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
My R2 rattles like hell in certain games, Bugsnax comes to mind as the worst.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The way you actively "fight" the trigger to press it down had me wonder if this could kill the mechanism at some point. I'd hope though that they have accounted for that and I have zero issues so far.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how much you use it. A casual player can probably have a controller last a lifetime, but enthusiasts will undoubtedly wear through a controller faster.
How you use the thing definitely matters as well.

Children seem to go through any controller I have at a much faster rate until they get a little older and are more gentle on the things. I have seen adults abuse the fuck out of their controllers to and then complain that the thing is made like shit.

But sometimes there is something off with a controller. I had a two PS3 controller were the batteries were total shit and would eventually die after like 2 uses of moderate use. Also 4 of my Joy Cons had drifting.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Terrible, clickbait title is working the opposite of what was intended, even if the points made and examples shown are good.

Title is fine. People just want to complain and thread derail.

Show me one person on this forum who genuinely didn't understand exactly what OP meant from the thread title. Everyone knows OP means "reports of Dualsense trigger issues are increasing".

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Adaptive triggers were a mistake, way too prone to break.

DualSense-adaptive-trigger-teardown-2.jpg

look at the cheapo spring in the bottom right. combine that with the plastic screw mechinism which gives the resistance and it is clear why the spring is broken sooner or later.

the spring is way too finicky to withstand the resistance in the long run.
That spring's only purpose is to return the resistance lever to its resting position when the motor lets go. That's it. It's not under any real pressure from either side, and has nothing to do with providing any resistance itself, even when the motor isn't active. The spring pushing against the R2 button itself is completely separate and not even visible in this picture.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No issue here yet, but I was honestly expecting the triggers to give up sooner than normal triggers. :/

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah mine hasn't broken but I hear the "snap" from the triggers a lot and it terrifies me. Especially noticeable in FIFA where players have different stamina levels throught the match

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Not sure why your are bringing console wars into this thread but I doubt it.

Inflammatory thread title aside, my experience with Sony consoles from the OG PlayStation to PS4 (OG,Slim,Pro) is their QA on hardware is absolute utter garbage.

Just the last gen I've used EBGames promotions to trade in my DS4 + $20 (Canadian) to swap for another controller at least 3 times. My pro still sounds like a Harley when I attempt to use it.

Multiple threads here concerning hardware issues or annoynances with PS5

No way it is widespread as claimed in OT as I'm sure it would have made the media circuit.

you were annoyed by their console warring, and one upped it with new fronts lol,
like go read about $200 "elite" controllers maybe.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the critic to the thread title, but handwave the problem because you are not affected is also wrong. A simple google search shows similar cases. Its very clear that the trigger is overused because of FPS games and its not holding the pressure for many consumers. How widespread the problem will be, time will tell.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
OP is reporting that we are seeing more people commenting online about issues, which is in line with what I'm seeing too.

Thread title is OP having a bit of a goof but everyone knows exactly what they mean. No need to get bent out of shape about semantics.
Why are you so focussed on the title? The whole OP is hyperbolic and literally calls it a widespread issue, which you yourself said it's too early to say...

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Title is fine. People just want to complain and thread derail.

Show me one person on this forum who genuinely didn't understand exactly what OP meant from the thread title. Everyone knows OP means "reports of Dualsense trigger issues are increasing".

If it didn't have the sensationalist headline the majority probably wouldn't have even chimed in to say no issues.

On-topic, I can confirm that my R2 is looser and I noticed it felt off while playing 2K21 the other night. I don't press hard at all and haven't dropped it or anything like I have my Xbox controllers many times lol

I've maybe played 50 hours in total since launch.

Wabba

Apr 12, 2018
Have two controllers with around 100 hours gametime. No issues with either of my Dualsenses, works perfectly.

Jun 23, 2019
Oh good, we have "experts" in here calling it a "design flaw" after a few anecdotal cases.

Hyperbole, thy home is the internet.
Preach. It's hilarious to think that some people in this thread and on Era in general, truly believe that their hot takes and hyperbole are representative of reality at large.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
No issues at all for me. The thread title is over the top though (the google link brings up some unrelated results as well like this on the Steam Controller in the first few pages or so)

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the critic to the thread title, but handwave the problem because you are not affected is also wrong.
Tbf, I don't think many/any people are dismissing it as a potential issue because they're not affected. Lots of people are chiming in saying they don't have the issue because the OP asked.

What about you? Have you experienced any issues with your DualSense, especially with the R2?