• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Adaptive triggers were a mistake, way too prone to break.

DualSense-adaptive-trigger-teardown-2.jpg

look at the cheapo spring in the bottom right. combine that with the plastic screw mechinism which gives the resistance and it is clear why the spring is broken sooner or later.

the spring is way too finicky to withstand the resistance in the long run.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had any issues with them but it's something that worries me. There are a lot of moving parts in there, which increases the likelihood of something going wrong.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
And like, if the impulse triggers on an Xbox pad broke would you even notice?

I didn't have these break but I had one (presumably) come a little loose in the housing. Damn thing sounded like a chainsaw rattling away whenever it went off in Forza Horizon. Got it replaced in the end.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Mine still fine, albeit only played Astro, Miles and Pathless so far, so not a huge amount of play time. Only issue is the triggers are really noisy whether the resistance is adjusting or vibrating, controller haptics are quiet though.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
How can they launch device thats becomes faulty so soon? Dont they test the controller for hundreds of hours or somethimg?

Ask some people who bought launch window PS4s and their analog sticks on their dual shock 4's began to disintergrate within a couple of weeks of useage. They had to change the material because of this. Testing can only do so much im afraid as theres always a small amount of defective units. Whats important is that its only a defective unit and not a design flaw like what I just mentioned.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing every day since launch and so far so good.

As with all electronic products, you are bound to have some that are faulty. Unlucky for those people.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Expected.

Something as intricate and as numerous as the DualSense there are bound to be a few bad eggs in the batch.

I wouldnt exactly call it widespread when you consider the number of controllers out there vs the number of triggers actually failing.

And for the "no issues" crew it doesnt really help.
I have a launch X360 that still works to this day.
Bought one when I went to the US it lasted like 5 months before RRoD.
But while RRoD was going on and my launch box was still working I wouldnt belittle the people complaining by saying "no issues".

And RRoD was much more rampant than whatever this issue is.

I have yet to see anyone IRL get it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That dumbass spring had me worried from the start. I don't understand why they added these state of the art haptics but left in the same crappy trigger mechanism from the DS3 and DS4.

Jmvm

Oct 31, 2017
Stubbington, UK
Two controllers since launch day (one of them before launch actually) in Europe. Two kids playing on the PS5 also..Lots of Destiny, Astro, Borderlands, COD, etc playtime. Zero issues. And i have seen those controllers take a few tumbles to the floor also.
Same for coil wine and fan noise. Nil. What is it with the hyperbole on all posts with next gen consoles ?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Oh good, we have "experts" in here calling it a "design flaw" after a few anecdotal cases.

Hyperbole, thy home is the internet.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Well nothings wrong with my one controller out of 5 million sold, so clearly it's all in the clear good job Sony go team

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Ive accumulated a good 200 hours into Fortnite and No Mans Sky, and they both use the trigger features quite a bit and have had no issues. Of course its all anecdotal, so YMMV.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I can see this being an issue if you're someone used to putting insane amounts of pressure on the triggers during intense moments or something but at that point the not really a controller issue imo
Yeah, I figured out real quick in Spider-Man Remastered that you can push R2 up to the point of resistance and it's still enough to swing. You don't need to actually push beyond that point.

More moving parts means that it will have a higher failure rate than if it were just a traditional trigger. But that doesn't mean those failures are "widespread" in any way.

You can't take a few people on an internet forum as "it's happening everywhere to everybody". Only people who have problems talk about those problems. They may make a lot of noise, but it's likely still a fraction of a percent of total users. We'd all be shut down in an instant if we all started posting threads about how our systems run fine and never crash and don't have coil while and our controllers aren't broken.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Fortunately, mine is fine right now.

However, I was also fine with the DS4 -- and then a few months later I had the same issues with disintegrating rubber and a sticky R2 that was being reported early on.. so I won't dismiss that this could be a major issue.
yeah remember those, and they were silently releasing revisions of the thing, without announcements, so it was difficult to keep track of current state of things.

for case in point, triggers are new, intricate design, that are being widely released and used first time. always a possibility there might be issues.

thread title is hyperbole bullshit though, even if you go from people's experiences in this thread.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Two controllers since launch day (one of them before launch actually) in Europe. Two kids playing on the PS5 also..Lots of Destiny, Astro, Borderlands, COD, etc playtime. Zero issues. And i have seen those controllers take a few tumbles to the floor also.
Same for coil wine and fan noise. Nil. What is it with the hyperbole on all posts with next gen consoles ?

Just because you don't have an issue doesn't make other's posting about it or even having it hyperbole, you know?

I have launch Joy-Cons without drift, that doesn't mean that i disregard it as hyperbole.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I can't tell if this is a joke post or not. If not, why would you assume anything that is mass produced doesn't have a bad item here and there?

I hate this new world we've been living in. Either things are the best ever or worst ever and anything that doesn't work for even less than 1% of the people using it is the fault of design or poor testing.

Lol that escalated so quickly it actually made me laugh out loud

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
No issues on my end.
Reminder that people having issues are considerably more likely to leave comments, and reviews. Giving the impression that a product is defective or has issues.

It happens a lot with consumer electronics, from tablets, to tvs. I wouldn't worry until I see something more concrete.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a lemon.

How long are controllers expected to last always? I feel like if I get 5 years out of one that is reasonable. Anything more is a plus.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Today I learned "This happened to me" equals "dropping like flies"...

As has been stated, there'll be a percentage of defective units, they'll get replaced. Things like this happen with every product launch

psionotic

May 29, 2019
No issues with ours, after about 300ish hours with Demon's Souls, AC Valhalla, Miles Morales and a bit of others. But we do have two of them, so each are getting half the work, since we swap them when one needs to be recharged until the other one does.

But really sorry to hear this OP and others it's happened to. Hopefully Sony makes it right for everyone, and improves the design to make them more durable.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have two DualSense controllers and on both of them I can feel there's a notable difference in base tension between the left and right triggers.
My R2 is very slightly looser than my L2, but it's really not noticeable while playing and the adaptative stuff works well.
My controller is the same. It's slight, at first I was wondering if my right finger is just stronger than my left. But nah, the right trigger definitely has less resistance.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Just because you don't have an issue doesn't make other's posting about it or even having it hyperbole, you know?

I have launch Joy-Cons without drift, that doesn't mean that i disregard it as hyperbole.
People aren't calling it hyperbole because the OP's controller had an issue, they're calling it hyperbole because they're trying to make it seem like a widespread issue based on a handful of Reddit posts lol

Maybe this ends up being a widespread issue? Who knows. I could believe it. I mean I don't think any of us thought the DS4 rubber issue was going to be as widespread as it was lol. But it's too early to tell.

There's no way to say it will or won't be a widespread issue at this point.
So calling it widespread now like the OP does is...intentionally exaggerating in a way then? Damn, there should be a word for that.

OsramTaleka

Nov 25, 2020
Not one issue with mine and I platinumed Bugsnax, The Pathless and Miles Morales which all use them a ton.

Jmvm

Oct 31, 2017
Stubbington, UK

No one is dismissing any issues. I am complaining about the "dropping like flies", the idea that it is an inherent problem with the hardware, that for all the data we have, its not the case. And yes, hyperbole on some titles skews away the topic of discussion. What do the users did different from the ones that do not have the issue? What games were they playing? Those are data points that we need to look at. If all of us were having the same issue, then we could say it is a design flaw. But at the moment this is not the case

Edit: Clarified some points on my post. Don't want to read as moan, as it was not the intention

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It is hyperbole. Most people aren't having this issue.

Based on ERA echochamber or what? Or do you like ... follow most PS5 owners in the world on Twitter and did ask them?

You know what, forget it. There's no point discussing things further if you just brush an issue, that the OP has, off as hyperbole.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

People having problems isn't hyperbole.

Stating that controllers are "dropping like flies" and insinuating that every DualSense in the world is a hair's breadth from total failure... that's hyperbole.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum astro demon souls, miles morales Spiderman remastered and sackboy and mine still work just fine. A few reports on a a massive message board doesn't mean it's an issue. Same with coil whine and all that crap

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So calling it widespread now like the OP does is...intentionally exaggerating in a way then? Damn, there should be a word for that.

OP is reporting that we are seeing more people commenting online about issues, which is in line with what I'm seeing too.

Thread title is OP having a bit of a goof but everyone knows exactly what they mean. No need to get bent out of shape about semantics.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
I got a lot of problems on my Dualsense (squeeky buttons, heavy drifting...) but this ain't one.
Waiting for Sony Repair to solve those issues and give my controller back...maybe in 2021...

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I've not had a great track-record with any Dualshock controller, all have been susceptible to hardware issues for me over the years. As soon as they announced the resistive triggers this was my worry.

Saying that, thus far from reactions here it doesn't seem too widespread.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Lol. The console has been out for 5 weeks. We have absolutely no way of knowing if it's hyperbole or not.

People who have issues can only report that they have issues. There's no way to say it will or won't be a widespread issue at this point.

so no way to say "they are dropping like flies"
so its hyperbole, got it thanks

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how much you use it. A casual player can probably have a controller last a lifetime, but enthusiasts will undoubtedly wear through a controller faster.
Pretty much all the speedrun communities out there that have relatively intense input techniques have maintenance/repair guides, and not just because the controllers are aging. It is a forgone conclusion they will breakdown sooner or later even with all new fresh parts and much less complex mechanisms (rubber membrane + contact in most cases.)

riq

Feb 21, 2019
My condolences to OP. I'm getting flashbacks to January 2018 when I created a Reddit thread about my left Joy Con misbehaving.
"Failure rate"
"Hyperbole"
"Mine are fine"
"Misuse"

OP
OP
EeK9X

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Today I learned "This happened to me" equals "dropping like flies"...

As has been stated, there'll be a percentage of defective units, they'll get replaced. Things like this happen with every product launch

It seems people are focusing way too much on the thread's title and ignoring its actual contents and the many references I provided. I didn't link to other forums because I didn't know if it was allowed (even if it's not that one). Also, this:

OP is reporting that we are seeing more people commenting online about issues, which is in line with what I'm seeing too.

Thread title is OP having a bit of a goof but everyone knows exactly what they mean. No need to get bent out of shape about semantics.