• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could rotate my Eneloops rather than being attached by a wire. Internal batteries are inferior 😔

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Astro bot seems to play with haptics 100% of the time, i wonder how the different haptic strengths you can choose affect it.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Astro's is probably the game that will most use the DualSense capabilities, considering as some reviewers said, the controller reacts to everything in the game. So, 4-6 hours is the minimum the battery will last.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After all the complaints about battery life this generation you'd think would have prioritized that.

Eneloops for life.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Could how you play, physically speaking, matter at all? Like, would different players pressing the triggers harder or softer require more work from the controller?

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Not entirely terrible considering all the technology inside but not amazing either.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haptics default to HIGH on dualsense, and can be turned down or OFF for more battery.

I'd also like to mention that the Dualsense probably polls at a very high rate just like the DualShock 4 does for pretty much the lowest latency of any wireless controller. (see pic). That's going to affect battery life, but i would rather this than the reverse (trading low input lag for better battery life)

Not all controllers are equal, high polling rate, advanced haptics/triggers, gyro, touchpad, dual mics, speaker, light, it all adds up.

rum4H5-JbHVIM3ZNnW-lYAT32_Sohu66QrbxzHZyrGg.png

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds slightly better than the DS4 but I was hoping for more. Not the end of the world though will just buy the charging dock once again (if I can find one).

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
I've added the times I found from the review thread below, but add more in the comments and I'll add them in.
It seems similarish to DS4, but heavily dependent on usage of haptics.

PushSquare

The Verge

IGN

Press Start

ArsTechnica
Sounds like its heavily dependent on the haptics in the games you play, those two Italian sites reported 2 and 4 hours while playing Astro. Which is the game with the most haptic rumble and feedback going on

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Please keep in mind that ds had built in mic some audio chip along with other components and much higher poling rate.

Lowering poling rate in mice almost doubles the battery

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope there's some sort of solution early this gen (been using a 2000mah battery for the last year or so on my DS4 V1).

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Isn't this like really good?

How long are you playing in a single session?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Any game that adjusts the tension on the triggers is going to be a bigger battery drain than anything else I'd think.

Oct 27, 2017
Wish it was better, most disappointing part of ps5 news today for me. 7 hours with intense DS features isn't too bad, about the top I'd get out of PS4 controller. 10-13 tho is better, wish it would get to switch pro levels but those adaptive triggers must zap a lot of juice

Do we know if it charges faster USBc to USBc or no difference with A to C?

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what with these shitty batteries in controllers? 2 good aa already have 4-5k mah

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
You're gonna need a second controller to swap to just like the PS4 unless you have a charging dock that you use religiously. Terrible battery life.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Stinks but with the tech it's understandable, hopefully they come out with an elite some day and that includes paddles and better battery life

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
All those haptics and still way better than what I got out of the DS4 at least.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You're gonna need a second controller to swap to just like the PS4 unless you have a charging dock that you use religiously. Terrible battery life.
I mean i either charge my phone or my DS4 while im on my couch, i don't see the problem with doing that. USB-C also should make sure no damage should occur from phone chargers, right?

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good to me. That should last at least 2 sessions and I already have a second controller anyway. It can't be worse than the DS4 which I don't have a problem with.

How long does it take to fully charge though? I expect USB C to charge quickly!

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Do ya'll really be having 7-8 hour+ gaming sessions? This is USB-C, take a snack break lol

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You weren't going to have triggers strong enough to fight you and Switch Pro or Xbox controller battery lifetime.

I'd rather have them fancy new triggers. DS4 battery life was manageable. This is better!

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Reading the OP and i feel like its all over the place. So from 5 to almost 3 times that? (13 hours)

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo have forever ruined me. My Wii U and Switch Pro controllers lasting like 40 hours or whatever is something I hope can be achieved by Sony and MS soon.
Xbox controllers are great with holding their charge too.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Horrible battery life honestly. For a $70 controller customers deserve better. I guess I'm thankful I'll have three of these along with the charging stand so I can play Sackboy with my kids. That will allow me to rotate through them when playing solo.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wish it was better, most disappointing part of ps5 news today for me. 7 hours with intense DS features isn't too bad, about the top I'd get out of PS4 controller. 10-13 tho is better, wish it would get to switch pro levels but those adaptive triggers must zap a lot of juice
Didn't we already establish or Era a while back that the Switch Pro controller polls at a much lower rate than the DualShock? Sure it has better battery life, but you wouldn't want to play anything that relies on reflexes online with it. These aren't apples for apples comparisons, never mind the dualsense features (that again, can be turned down/off) sipping juice.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Just kind of guesstimating based on my experience, but looking at those different lengths people are saying its lasted and averaging them out... sounds like it will be very similar to how long the DualShock 4 has lasted between charges for me. So... I think that's ok. Not amazing, but its fine. Especially for me. No issue whatsoever.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the concern is that with non-replaceable batteries, charging after every session is going to hurt battery life over time.

They're internal, but they are actually still replaceable. Looking at the DualSense teardown, it's also pretty easy to do too. Just need to wait and see how much a spare battery costs to buy, though I've never personally needed to replace an internal battery on any of my controllers.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I mean i either charge my phone or my DS4 while im on my couch, i don't see the problem with doing that. USB-C also should make sure no damage should occur from phone chargers, right?
Whatever works, point being you have to have a quick swap or recharge plan vs the PS3 where I only had to charge my controller once a week. The DualSense is packed with features that Id trade immediately for better battery, personally.