• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
First impressions? The adaptive triggers are the most impressive things to happen to controllers since dual analogue sticks. It's absolutely seamless, and it just goes from "oh that seems like a cool feature" to "oh no this is HUGE" over the course of one level in astro's Playroom. Devs NEED to use this tech, it's game changing.

Oh god I can't wait to have this thing in my hands, and I've got to wait until the 19th too :(

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Bound by the same embargo as everyone else so can only really talk about the Cooling Springs stage, but Astro's Playroom is absolutely phenomenal. I'm sitting here giddy over this and the DualSense controller.

Weirdly, the last time I felt like this was when Astro Bot Rescue Mission came out for PSVR, which also left me bursting to tell everyone how utterly incredible it is.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Not terribly hard to implement at all. We had solid testing software, instructions and example materials from Sony very early on. I'd be surprised if other groups didn't support these features for the foreseeable future.
from what I see they definitely did a great job this time around providing literature and examples which is crucial to get up to speed fast this is great to hear. It definitely is a key differentiator right now.
Bound by the same embargo as everyone else so can only really talk about the Cooling Springs stage, but Astro's Playroom is absolutely phenomenal. I'm sitting here giddy over this and the DualSense controller.

Weirdly, the last time I felt like this was when Astro Bot Rescue Mission came out for PSVR, which also left me bursting to tell everyone how utterly incredible it is.
The legit excitement I see everyone has me like reminds me when I was a kid playing a new system. I'm so excited to try all this out soon.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
First impressions? The adaptive triggers are the most impressive things to happen to controllers since dual analogue sticks. It's absolutely seamless, and it just goes from "oh that seems like a cool feature" to "oh no this is HUGE" over the course of one level in astro's Playroom. Devs NEED to use this tech, it's game changing.
Can the triggers push back against you?

If I have the trigger pressed all the way down… can it try and press itself back up against me?

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's safe to say that they will expand these materials with more stuff that becomes common between games?

Do you mean providing devs with new documentation to showcase various implementation techniques that studios have used? I have no idea. That's really dependent upon studios coming back to Sony with that information. Devs are more likely to learn other studios's methods by developer talks and just inside industry chatter.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Do you mean providing devs with new documentation to showcase various implementation techniques that studios have used? I have no idea. That's really dependent upon studios coming back to Sony with that information. Devs are more likely to learn other studios's methods by developer talks and just inside industry chatter.
I see. Yeah, I was expecting some kind of "marketplace" for DualSense features. Think a good example is that racing games will probably have the same config for accelerate/brake. But the fact that it's easy to implement it is already very good.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Wait- does the Series X controller also have adaptive triggers?

From Polygon's impressions-

"One of the new features of this generation (also supported on the Xbox Series X controller) is the idea of "adaptive triggers." Basically, it means that the triggers can offer resistance if you're trying to perform some task that requires a lot of effort."

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Not terribly hard to implement at all. We had solid testing software, instructions and example materials from Sony very early on. I'd be surprised if other groups didn't support these features for the foreseeable future.
i wonder how immmersive some of these games weve played for years will do with the dualsense.

but at the same time maybe this will spark some new and creative ideas as well.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

"One of the new features of this generation (also supported on the Xbox Series X controller) is the idea of "adaptive triggers." Basically, it means that the triggers can offer resistance if you're trying to perform some task that requires a lot of effort."

It's false and for whatever reason Polygon hasn't corrected it. The DualSense triggers have resistance. They can do everything from making it harder to press them to locking them completely in place. The Xbox triggers have rumble.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017

No, the XSX controller only has standard rumble motors in the triggers. It has no ability to modify resistance on the fly.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017

Wow this is awesome.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It happens here as well. People don't understand the different tech in the DualSense.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

The wait is getting harder and harder

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Frame rate is kinda iffy with Astro bot going by the giant bomb video. Not sure if it's their capture or not but it's quite noticeable for something that will be the first ps5 experience for many.

Last edited:

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Sounds like we've got another Astro Bot winner on our hands. I needed more of the lil' rascal after Rescue Mission.

sammyc

Jul 14, 2019
Frame rate is kinda iffy with Astro bot going by the giant bomb video. Not sure if it's their capture or not but it's quite noticeable for something that will be manga first ps5 experience.
I'm pretty sure it must be the capture, Brad and Jeff both commented on how solid the framerate was during the video.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
In all my excitement, I forgot that Bloodworth mentioned that there are no invert camera control options on Astro Bot. PLEASE FIX THIS.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
OMG THANK YOU FOR THIS I WAS LOOKING FOR THIS. whats the exact name of this file?
Sony's Technology 2020

sony.net/tech2020 (direct PDF link)

Wait, where did you hear that? Are the other three levels significantly longer than the first?
Like any game, people play at different paces, die, collect, sightsee to different degrees. There's also speed run challenges with online leaderboards, maybe trophies attached too. There should also be something to spend coins on, like the capsule toy machine in Rescue Mission VR.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know if it will be supported for the PC versions of multiplat?

I'd be surprised if they were. Most games barely use Playstation controller button prompts. I can't think of many games that use the trigger rumble on the Xbox One controller either unless they're on the Windows Store.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
COVID was really bad for Sony regarding the Dualsense, it would be way easier to advertise this controller with E3 and other conferences.
Amazing impressions so far, I can't wait to put my hand on one of these.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
It's easier to trust their opinions when they don't get overexcited and hype crazy about every new thing. When they react like this you know it must be genuinely impressive.
I don't disagree. On the other hand, being generally down and a bit more cynical than usual is kind of what made me drift away from them after listening to them almost religiously over the past couple of years. You have to find that fine line between showing excitement and maintaining professional distance and that line is different for everyone. Either way, it isn't a GB thread so I don't want to get too deep into it, but I really loved the Astrobot impressions video they did. Jeff and Brad has this energy to them that I haven't felt in years. That new console hype is just infectious I suppose and it helps when the product seems genuinely amazing.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I don't have to wait until next year to get a console, these impressions are killing me.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So glad Sony didn't take the boring evolutionary route with the controller. I love all these small tech inclusions with every generation. Call it a gimmick all you want, but it adds sooooo much character to games that take advantage of it. Can't wait to try out 4K rumble!

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Switch HD rumble always felt worse than every other rumble solution. Literally feels like a beeper going off. Glad Sony got the HD rumble promise figured out.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This legit to me is so fucking exciting finally getting another "PlayStation brand" game. PSABR had the heart but not the budget and Astrobot rescue mission didn't lean into the ps franchises. This basically now has both. Will be a great cool off game between Demon Souls impressions.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dirt 5 has DuelSense support. I have it preordered for Series X now I'm seriously considering getting it for PS5 instead.
www.psu.com

DiRT 5 PS5 Has Option For 120FPS, DualSense Controller 'Is Great' Says Dev - PlayStation Universe

Codemasters has revealed that the power of PS5 has allowed the studio to have a 120FPS option for DiRT 5.

Now that Cyberpunk got delayed I'm considering getting Dirt 5 instead. Been a while since I've played a race game.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
So glad Sony didn't take the boring evolutionary route with the controller. I love all these small tech inclusions with every generation. Call it a gimmick all you want, but it adds sooooo much character to games that take advantage of it. Can't wait to try out 4K rumble!

If they use that thecnology in future Vr game, this is going to be huge. Cant wait to try it too.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dirt 5 has DuelSense support. I have it preordered for Series X now I'm seriously considering getting it for PS5 instead.
www.psu.com

DiRT 5 PS5 Has Option For 120FPS, DualSense Controller 'Is Great' Says Dev - PlayStation Universe

Codemasters has revealed that the power of PS5 has allowed the studio to have a 120FPS option for DiRT 5.

I think for racing games especially, DualSense support is a no brainer, because being able to offer positional and granular feedback is literally game changing.

Eg, to mimic when or which of your tires are reaching the edge of traction or slip, different driving surfaces and materials (grass, sand, mud, rain, kerbs etc), not to mention resistance in the triggers mimicking that of your brakes or accelerator pedals.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine haptics and 5 adaptive triggers per VR controller. You could actually get some immersion in holding something.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spent a good amount of time with Astro. Not nearly as blown away as it seems others were with the triggers. In fact not really I mean much at all. It's cool I guess but didn't magically change anything. Glad to see people like it and crossing my fingers though for it to be supported which is basically I guess the sad reality behind all things.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I really hope Astrobot is still bundled with the PS5 by the time I get the inevitable slim since it looks fantastic.