• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb seem pretty excited about other stuff they can't talk about too on how it's leveraged in astrobot (just caught the end of them talking about it on their bombcast)

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never imagined I'd get this hyped over such a simple single level from a pack-in.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
From what I remember from the Cerny presentation, these features are made easy for developers to implement. I don't think Sony would have included these features unless it was easy for developers to use--that has been Sony's MO since the PS4 (i.e. "time to triangle").
Mark hasn't described haptic feedback or adaptive trigger developer workload AFAIK, this is the most detailed explanation we've had, from Sony's internal magazine.

Sony's Technology 2020

sony.net/tech2020 (direct PDF link)
8y7fq6b.png

Last edited:

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Perhaps Era didn't inform him yet that the DualSense features are just a gimmick.

But, seriously, really looking forward to DS. It's one of the things I'm most excited about for next gen.

I am still in the gimmick camp.

I remember gaming news outlets speaking positively about the trackpad, and the built-in speaker and even also the different colored lights corresponding to different players on the lightbar in the DualShock4.

If the Dual Sense's features are being implemented on all games a year after launch, I will gladly say I was wrong.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
So the game will probably be about two hours based on this first of four levels being 20-30 minutes. Was hoping for more, but I understand it's just a pack-in. But it does mean I will be more likely to pick up Sackboy closer to launch than I was.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Man that the level culminates inside the PS3 UI and with the rubber freaking ducks from that one sixaxis launch "game"... Incredible! I love it haha.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing Jeff and Brad's impressions of the controller have me more hyped for it than anything else thus far.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
controllers are how you directly interact with games, it's actually been really sad how companies, outside of nintendo, tend to really ignore that. here's hoping we see more cool control shit after this as well. paddles would have been nice, built in mic IS nice, but again it comes down to giving the devs options and then... you know, them actually using em!

can't wait to get the dualsense though. ordering one before I even ordered a ps5.

Party

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
I've fallen off giantbomb content recently, but I have not heard Jeff and Brad this excited about anything recently. It's really refreshing and reminds me why I liked the giantbomb folks in the first place.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
The controller was one of the main factors in me preordering a PS5 over an XSX for launch. The triggers sound fantastic.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Japan Studios seems like the go to studio when demoing new tech.

These quotes are hype. There's a lot of strong support already, and the features seem relatively easy to implement and will add a lot to your game. I think it's here to stay.

like VR and now the new controller, I'm glad Sony is pushing the tech.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
First impressions? The adaptive triggers are the most impressive things to happen to controllers since dual analogue sticks. It's absolutely seamless, and it just goes from "oh that seems like a cool feature" to "oh no this is HUGE" over the course of one level in astro's Playroom. Devs NEED to use this tech, it's game changing.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
First impressions? The adaptive triggers are the most impressive things to happen to controllers since dual analogue sticks. It's absolutely seamless, and it just goes from "oh that seems like a cool feature" to "oh no this is HUGE" over the course of one level in astro's Playroom. Devs NEED to use this tech, it's game changing.
Damn really??!

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Is it November 12th yet? I can't wait to try this for myself.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to get my hands on Astrobot. I hope down the line that Sony pushes a full fledged game that you can play in both VR and Non-VR.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I've fallen off giantbomb content recently, but I have not heard Jeff and Brad this excited about anything recently. It's really refreshing and reminds me why I liked the giantbomb folks in the first place.
It's easier to trust their opinions when they don't get overexcited and hype crazy about every new thing. When they react like this you know it must be genuinely impressive.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
No, but you did come to a thread where people are excited to tell them "we'll have to wait and see".
No I came in to check impressions and replied to someone who basically said that we now know it's not a fad. Which we don't because we need to see how well supported these features are going forward.

Sep 25, 2020
Australia
All these impressions are getting me really excited to experience it. When I read a few impressions I thought to myself "oh cool seems like they have done something neat" but the more I read, people are absolutely gushing over this and Jeff Gerstmann was immediately full on praising it in that video. It's really nice to see how excited people are getting over aspects of the console other than the graphics. That alone gives me next gen hype.

Here's to hoping 3rd paty devs implement this in some pretty cool ways.

MordinSolus

May 1, 2020
[
Ahh can't wait. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for in a new generation. The constant backward compatibility talk was killing my hype (not that it's a bad thing but why is playing last gen games the number one thing people were constantly arguing about..) but now the excitement's back.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017

Can't wait to try it out, sounds amazing!

I wonder how much Demon's Soul's is going to incorporate these features.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
So hyped to play this. Sony seems to have delivered with the tech and a demo that makes it shine. They've provided the tools now it's up to the devs to work their magic!

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Not terribly hard to implement at all. I'd be surprised if other groups didn't support these features for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Don't do this to me :(
I cant hold this excitement

It is MUCH more than a level.
Video impressions?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I want to try this sooo bad. I'm also so glad they are making the PS5 come with a game to show all of these cool features.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Thanks for the fedback :)

My silly dream is that someone, somewhere (either in a game or a creator in Dreams) will be able to replicate the trigger feel and sound of the original NES light gun with the DualSense. I need that in my life!