• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
one thing i could see developers doing (especially in shooters) is to allow users to choose an option to have the triggers 'stop' a fraction of the way down, which would let you tap the triggers much faster (effectively what a few 'pro' controllers do using hardware workarounds). could be very useful in competitive games.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I believe the devs must be as excited as the reviewers. My hopes for widespread DualSense support grows larger each day. Happy haptics noises.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
assumimg they recorded some of this over recent days, we should hear impressions in the bombcast, right?

Jeff and Brad have me super hyped for this. Critical factor will be third party support but apparantly it has been developed to be easy to leverage - can be used like an audio track driving the effects. So I'm cautiously optimistic this won't die on the vine like touchpad has - but we'll have to see

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm interested in seeing how the adaptive triggers feel. They are the one new feature on a controller in years, that I've actually been interested in.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
ElVoShqXUAI--n1
Friendship ended with BOOOOY!
Now BOOOOT! is my new best friend

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
assumimg they recorded some of this over recent days, we should hear impressions in the bombcast, right?

Jeff and Brad have me super hyped for this. Critical factor will be third party support but apparantly it has been developed to be easy to leverage - can be used like an audio track driving the effects. So I'm cautiously optimistic this won't die on the vine like touchpad has - but we'll have to see
The embargo is apparently for that one level of Astro Bot so I wouldn't expect too much more but i'm sure they'll talk about it.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Making the dual sense mandatory for PS5 games definitly lets them make the case for it when the day-one folks get their hands on it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They totally fixed that. The first batch had that problem, including mine. Later ones don't.

What that is false they fixed the rubber material long time ago

They absolutely didn't. Perhaps they made them better and you weren't impacted but they absolutely did not fix the issue.

It happened to both my 500 Million blue controller and my purple controller from 2018 and 2019 respectively.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
They absolutely didn't. Perhaps they made them better and you weren't impacted but they absolutely did not fix the issue.

It happened to both my 500 Million blue controller and my purple controller from 2018 and 2019 respectively.
Sounds like you have crazy bad luck with controllers lol

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I just noticed there's even a Puppeteer easter egg, at least I think anyway and given there's a few really subtle ones I noticed (Until Dawn one is another) I don't think it's a stretch, which is just nice. Makes me wanna check every inch of the levels.

At 19:50 if the video doesn't start, look at them scissors.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The embargo is apparently for that one level of Astro Bot so I wouldn't expect too much more but i'm sure they'll talk about it.

I'm expecting a couple of minutes effusive praise, followed by a couple of minutes of tempering expectations for third parties, and a couple minutes joking about embargo limitations

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I was sure Spider Man would be the first thing I was playing on my PS5 but after these videos I'm definitely going with Astrobot.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Sounds like you have crazy bad luck with controllers lol

Nah. The rubber simply doesn't handle heavy use well.

I'm aware that they improved the issue over time but it is unquestionably still an issue at times.

I imagine it happens more when a game like Destiny is the most played game on the controller, which is why the left stick is the one where the issue would appear for me (and my brother as well).

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Astro Bot looks incredibly fun. And yeah, if a game performs a little better on XSX but has Dualsense features, I'm choosing the PS5 version.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

I'm aware that they improved the issue over time but it is unquestionably still an issue at times.

I imagine it happens more when a game like Destiny is the most played game on the controller, which is why the left stick is the one where the issue would appear for me (and my brother as well).
I just meant it's bad luck because it's clearly not a widespread issue since the fix, so that you've hit it twice is unfortunate.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
It will be cool for first party games that utilize them. Still curious to see if the 3rd parties use the features after the launch period when they only have this controller to do it with.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting a couple of minutes effusive praise, followed by a couple of minutes of tempering expectations for third parties, and a couple minutes joking about embargo limitations
Lol yeah that sounds about right. Also a few minutes of holding up controllers/consoles that you can't see if you're listening to the audio only version.

If even GB is impressed it must be really good. I always thought those guys couldn't be impressed at all...
Eh, GB get impressed by a lot of things. I know it's the "fun thing" to call them jaded and say they hate stuff or whatever because they're not overly positive youtubers, but they like things and they talk about the things they like.
I just think this is a glowing recommendation specifically because Jeff didn't really think HD Rumble was anything special (and personally, I agree) so that he thinks the Dualsense haptics are is exciting.

Not widespread doesn't mean it's fixed.

It doesn't happen at all on a Switch Pro Controller. It shouldn't happen at all on a DualShock 4.
Maybe not on yours, sure.
I've not had it happen on a Switch Pro Controller either, but I have on joy-cons. It's probably as fixed as it's going to be without changing to something other than rubber for the sticks.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Brad and Jeff Talk about COOLER SPRINGS and the DS5 was really great. As much as people around here like to complain Jeff is jaded, it's very clear how enthusiastic both of them are about Astrobot and the new controller. I'm really excited to check it out.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i really hope they patch in inverted controls for the final release. otherwise this is unplayable to me.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, your wrong. I have hundred of hours on destiny. And sony has fixed the sticks. If you're having issues still, that's probably a "You" issue as every single person I know that plays games has a ps4 and not a single of of them have issues. I have 2 ps4s in my house and neither respective controller has issues. Multiple people in this thread telling you that its fixed and they don't have issues.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean, your wrong. I have hundred of hours on destiny. And sony has fixed the sticks. If you're having issues still, that's probably a "You" issue as every single person I know that plays games has a ps4 and not a single of of them have issues. I have 2 ps4s in my house and neither respective controller has issues. Multiple people in this thread telling you that its fixed and they don't have issues.

I'm not wrong. It happened to me on two newer controllers and it happened to my brother as well.

I'm glad it's not widespread though.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sound only in left channel makes this fairly annoying to listen to. Possible to reupload with audio fix?
Dunno if I'm the only one, but is the audio in this video like... bad? . Using earbuds and only can hear you through my left ear.

I need an entirely new video recording software suite. I whipped this up in 20 mins last night for funsies but didnt realize Win10's default camera interface does that left channel only nonsense. Sorry to headphone users.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised by all the positive impressions about the rumble. Thought it would be whatever like the Switch's HD Rumble but I guess not.
Astro's Playroom on PS5 might be the best pack-in game since Wii Sports

Isn't it the only pack-in game since Wii Sports? Technically true I guess lol.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds really cool, but yeah, I don't have much hope that 3rd party devs will put as much work into it as Sony did for their pack-in.

Check out this thread. Already lots of 3P games confirmed to be using the advanced features.

www.resetera.com

DualSense™ |OT| Touch Your Dreams™ OT

The DualSense Features Haptic Feedback (HF): Refers to the two Voice Coil Actuators present on the DualSense, they are capable of a wide range of vibrations and are superior to the Rumble present on today's controllers. Adaptive Triggers (AT): Triggers that can create a variable resistance...

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
These controller impressions are getting me excited.

As they said in the GB quick look, I don't think I could be impressed by a new controller anymore but if they were, then perhaps I will be too.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017