• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Why did the DualSense have to be so good? I planned to play multiplats on Series X.
Exactly the same here. I have Xbox credit and I'm waiting for confirmation that there's no haptics support on Valhalla before preordering.
I would love to see games make the triggers "stick" when depressed at a certain point to simulate weapon jams or firearm locks. I'm picturing something like the ID lockout from MGS4.
Pretty sure I heard that Deathloop is doing this.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love this. So many things happen in the dualsense at once that he's having difficulties to explain how's the feeling.

Yeap, but of all the DualSense videos I've watched YongYea's is arguably still the most detailed. He actually explains what specific sort of vibrations, trigger mechanics etc are causing each of the many different sensations.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully mutli plat games will support the DS5 features otherwise you might as well play them on Series X. I have a feeling only first party games might bother to put in the extra time with controller features.

We'll have to see how support develops going forward, but among announced games, there are many big third parties supporting Dualsense features. CoD, Fifa, DiRT, Watch Dogs, Madden, NBA2K1... many more third party than first party games.

Of course, the quality of the implementations might also vary, and it's quite possible that first party games will handle it with more thought. But hopefully third parties that are supporting it are doing good things with it. I suppose we'll find out when the embargos lift on these games.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping big/small developers now also implementing gyro-aim.

Huge game such as Call of Duty not even doing this for DualShock 4... : /

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just watched TronicsFix's DualSense teardown (05:15) and noticed this huge difference between the DualSense and Dualshock 4. It seems like the DualSense has a dedicated Realtek audio chip on the motherboard, just above the 3.55mm jack. That chip is definitely not there on the DS4 mobo.

That's awesome. No wonder people have been speaking about updated audio quality from the controller. The more and more I learn about it, the more I'm surprised it's (thankfully) only $10 more than the Dualshock 4. It's absolutely stacked with so many new and better features.

Side note, do we know which RealTek studio chip this is?

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That's awesome. No wonder people have been speaking about updated audio quality from the controller. The more and more I learn about it, the more I'm surprised it's (thankfully) only $10 more than the Dualshock 4. It's absolutely stacked with so many new and better features.

I just checked a few more teardowns, sadly none of them had a high enough quality shot for me to make out the text on the chip. What I did notice though is that the small chip above the one with the Realtek logo has a "Realtek" text on it. That's two chips dedicated to sound, yay! :)

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I would love to see games make the triggers "stick" when depressed at a certain point to simulate weapon jams or firearm locks. I'm picturing something like the ID lockout from MGS4.
You're in luck, the devs behind Deathloop are doing this very thing.

EDIT: Didn't see all the other posts saying the same thing!

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017

Just took mine apart since I couldn't find a clear shot anywhere. Realtek chip text is as follows: ALC5524 K4W28G1 GK19. Here is the photo I took where you can see all the chips.
uk4Xz7i.jpg

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That's it. After watching this video and this dude describing the different sensations of the haptic feedback + adaptive triggers during the Playroom demo, I'm totally onboard with the Dualsense being the most next gen feature alongside the SSD benefits.

I believe that if done well, specially for multiplatform games, this may be a very tempting feature to play with, and an advantage to get certain multiplaform games over the competition; and very few saw this coming.
Absolutely. What it looks to add to the gameplay experience is truly unique and transformative. I think people would be lying to themselves if they say all of this stuff packed into the controller is less conductive to a dramatically better gameplay experience than some minor resolution differences in multiplatform games.

Hopefully mutli plat games will support the DS5 features otherwise you might as well play them on Series X. I have a feeling only first party games might bother to put in the extra time with controller features.
There are 39 announced games supporting the DualSense, and there definitely aren't 39 first-party games announced for the PS5. This is already way better developer support than previous Sony peripherals and I think that's partly to do with how practical and game-changing these features are and how easy it is to integrate them at a basic level, which allows them to dig deeper with less effort.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just took mine apart since I couldn't find a clear shot anywhere. Realtek chip text is as follows: ALC5524 K4W28G1 GK19. Here is the photo I took where you can see all the chips.

Whilst I couldn't find the exact chip, I did find this on the ALC5520, which is presumably an older or slightly less competent variant based on the numbering.

Realtek's far-field multi-microphone speech recognition enhanced single-chip solution (ALC5520) won the 2018 ``Hsinchu Science Industrial Park Excellent Manufacturer Innovative Product Award''
2018/12/12

[Hsinchu, Taiwan, December 12, 2018]
Realtek Semiconductor , the world's leading IC design company, today announced that its far-field multi-microphone speech recognition enhanced single-chip solution (ALC5520) won the 2018 "Hsinchu Science Industrial Park Excellent Manufacturer Innovation" Product Award".

Realtek ALC5520 audio/voice signal processor (Audio/Voice DSP) is a system-on-a-chip that realizes a complete solution for long-distance voice applications. The chip integrates 103dB high signal-to-noise ratio (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) low-power analog-to-digital converter (Analog to Digital Converter), 32-bit multi-core DSP+vFPU and Realtek's latest generation of voice enhancement technology, which greatly improves in noisy/ Voice recognition performance in long-distance (over 10 meters) environments.

Realtek ALC5520 provides a complete solution with ultra-low power consumption and high integration, with a competitive QFN8x8mm package size, showing the following technologies and market advantages:
● complete solution distance speech applications
● 103dB high SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) low power analog to digital converter (the ADC)
● over 32 high-performance core + VFPU the DSP
● low power consumption
● in Provides excellent voice recognition enhancement in noisy/long-distance environments
● Simplified peripheral parts and minimized PCB size reference design
● Easy upgrade/addition of voice input and recognition functions for various products and applications

Realtek's spokesperson Huang Yiwei, vice president, said: "The high-efficiency and extremely low-power design makes the ALC5520 widely suitable for applications that require voice input and recognition, such as smart speakers/smart TVs/mobile devices/white goods/car electronics.

Realtek The ALC5520 not only establishes a higher standard for enhanced speech recognition, but also assists the rapid popularization of speech technology in various industrial products."

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the controller mic is good and 3.5mm headphone output of controller is good, I might regret ordering the Pulse headset.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
If the controller mic is good and 3.5mm headphone output of controller is good, I might regret ordering the Pulse headset.

The 3.5mm is, in my opinion, good and improved over the DS4. The mic is clear, but lacking in bass compared to higher quality mics (for instance my Antlion modmic and my Yeti both sound noticeably more full). But we haven't heard any samples of the mic being recorded with any potential noise cancellation/processing that the PS5 will probably end up doing.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Whilst I couldn't find the exact chip, I did find this on the ALC5520, which is presumably an older or slightly less competent variant based on the numbering.

Realtek's far-field multi-microphone speech recognition enhanced single-chip solution (ALC5520) won the 2018 ``Hsinchu Science Industrial Park Excellent Manufacturer Innovative Product Award''
2018/12/12

Realtek Semiconductor , the world's leading IC design company, today announced that its far-field multi-microphone speech recognition enhanced single-chip solution (ALC5520) won the 2018 "Hsinchu Science Industrial Park Excellent Manufacturer Innovation" Product Award".

Realtek ALC5520 audio/voice signal processor (Audio/Voice DSP) is a system-on-a-chip that realizes a complete solution for long-distance voice applications. The chip integrates 103dB high signal-to-noise ratio (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) low-power analog-to-digital converter (Analog to Digital Converter), 32-bit multi-core DSP+vFPU and Realtek's latest generation of voice enhancement technology, which greatly improves in noisy/ Voice recognition performance in long-distance (over 10 meters) environments.

Realtek ALC5520 provides a complete solution with ultra-low power consumption and high integration, with a competitive QFN8x8mm package size, showing the following technologies and market advantages:
● 103dB high SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) low power analog to digital converter (the ADC)
● low power consumption
● in Provides excellent voice recognition enhancement in noisy/long-distance environments
● Easy upgrade/addition of voice input and recognition functions for various products and applications

Realtek's spokesperson Huang Yiwei, vice president, said: "The high-efficiency and extremely low-power design makes the ALC5520 widely suitable for applications that require voice input and recognition, such as smart speakers/smart TVs/mobile devices/white goods/car electronics.

Realtek The ALC5520 not only establishes a higher standard for enhanced speech recognition, but also assists the rapid popularization of speech technology in various industrial products."

The amount of technology they stuffed into this thing is kinda staggering.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The 3.5mm is, in my opinion, good and improved over the DS4. The mic is clear, but lacking in bass compared to higher quality mics (for instance my Antlion modmic and my Yeti both sound noticeably more full). But we haven't heard any samples of the mic being recorded with any potential noise cancellation/processing that the PS5 will probably end up doing.
What headphones have you tried with the 3.5mm?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Considering the cost, I would hope those mics are better!

OP
OP
Praedyth

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil

2018/12/12

● low power consumption

DualSense mic hype!! That must be part of why it sounds so good.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017

2018/12/12

● low power consumption

This is exactly the type of stuff Ive been looking for. Theres a lot of focus on the haptics and whatnot right now but Im really, really curious about the wired headphone capabilities when plugged direct into the controller. HOpefully we get more detailed stuff soon.

Fortnite support!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite will be getting DualSense support

DUALSENSE CONTROLLER IMMERSION
Haptic feedback makes it feel like you're holding the Suppressed SMG or Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle. In addition to general vibration support, we've integrated haptic trigger feedback for ranged weapons on the new DualSense controller.

www.epicgames.com

Day 1 Ready: Fortnite Arrives Next Week on Xbox Series X|S and PS5

A next-gen version of Fortnite will be launching alongside the next-gen Xbox Series X, S, and PS5 consoles. Here’s what you can expect!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely. What it looks to add to the gameplay experience is truly unique and transformative. I think people would be lying to themselves if they say all of this stuff packed into the controller is less conductive to a dramatically better gameplay experience than some minor resolution differences in multiplatform games.
One thing I realized from an accessibility point of view the rumble is so good for the blind as well.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

There are 39 announced games supporting the DualSense, and there definitely aren't 39 first-party games announced for the PS5. This is already way better developer support than previous Sony peripherals and I think that's partly to do with how practical and game-changing these features are and how easy it is to integrate them at a basic level, which allows them to dig deeper with less effort.

I'm definitely back on the multiplats for ps5 boat.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really can't wait to feel this. I'd love for a game to be able to have what could feel like a trigger break when pulling it.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

2018/12/12

● low power consumption

I'm guessing there would be a series of variations named ALC55xx with different number of channels.

They need 3 inputs (front mic, cancellation mic, headset connector mic) and at least 3 outputs (headset stereo, built-in speaker), and possibly they would use two more outputs to drive the voice-coils. It depends what the main SIE custom chip can do. They only need the realtek for really high quality audio, so only mics and headset, but if the channels are there, might as well use them for anything that needs a DAC.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017

2018/12/12

● low power consumption

Yes, noise cancellation will be good indeed.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I do plan on double dipping(down the line)on the ones I consider to be classics. MS bc solution is something I really like.
Yeah I was a primary PS3 user and have double dipped so much on the 360 versions because their BC is just top notch. We really got it made in gaming on all sides now.

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the dual sense. What are thoughts on the size? I have larger hands, but this doesn't feel quite as comfortable as the DS4, especially in the grips

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding needs a dual sense patch At launch , Kojima would probably have best implemation

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the dual sense. What are thoughts on the size? I have larger hands, but this doesn't feel quite as comfortable as the DS4, especially in the grips
My roomate has bigger hands, and doesn't really enjoy the L1, R1 buttons specifically as much as the DS4. He think they are harder to hit.

Me (who has very medium, average sized hands) thinks its a massive improvment.