• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
BuR3Eak.jpg

Drops on like the official DS4 charger. The plastic part surrounding the charging pins is spring loaded and pushes down when the controller's placed on, fully revealing the pins.

What looks most different is the charging contacts on the DualSense are larger and face directly outward, so there should be more tolerance for how straight you need to drop the DualSense in.

uTYScK7.jpg

IOd0FRa.jpg
I feel like I am looking at the controllers butt hole

OP
OP
Praedyth

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Can a brave journalist please tweet out "The DualSense battery life allowed me to play Cooling Springs for X hours straight"? Thanks in advance.

nintendosmash.com

5 things we’ve discovered by playing with the PS5 Dualsense controller

After spending days playing with PS5 we told you about 5 new aspects of the Dualsense controller that make the difference from the Dualshock 4. This is how the PlayStation 5 controller aims to change the way we play. We have already spent several days with PS5, preparing our analysis of the...

Battery life
With all the functions that have been added to the Dualsense (a wireless controller that runs on a rechargeable battery) it was logical to think that the battery life would have been reduced compared to the Dualshock 4 – and this was one of its weaknesses. We cannot go into precise measurements, which is something you will see in our analysis of the console, but we can give you some approximate impressions.

It depends on the game we're trying out at the time, but the 50% increase in battery life (we're now at 1560mAh) is noticeable, and allows us to play comfortably for longer than on PS4. This is one of the improvements that we were demanding the most from the PS5 controller, and fortunately – at least in the first games – it seems to meet our expectations.

Edit: I don't know if this site is reliable, only mention of battery life I could find without being just "we can't talk about it".

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
The controller is widely available to the public and we're allowed to take it apart and talk about every aspect of it... except the battery life? What?
The public aren't using their DualSense with a PS5, making use of all the features as the OS and different PS5 games would. You'd hope the press test this thoroughly, in context of what's being offered.

Additionally, DualSense paired with a PS5, both using Bluetooth 5.1 capable chipsets and any proprietary modifications and power saving modes is different to pairing with random Bluetooth module in a phone or computer.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited to try it but I wish it was smaller. The DualShock 4 already feels huge so I can only imagine how bad it's going to be for petite women.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I wonder if hitting enemies made of rocks will feel different than hitting more human like enemies in Demon Souls. 🤔

Or what about swinging heavy weapons?
So much potential.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Feast your eyes.
www.roadtovr.com

Watch PS5 DualSense Impressive Motion Tracking in Action

We talked earlier this week about the impressive haptics and IMU in the PS5 DualSense controller, and now we can show you what it looks like in action. While the PS5 DualSense controller doesn’t currently allow for position (6DOF) tracking, its rotational (3DOF) tracking is very impressive...

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I threw together a really quick tutorial for anyone that doesn't know how to route audio to the haptic channels on the controller. It's super simple:

This is actually insane that it has high level functionality even without developers prioritizing it.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
I tried this and the windows "ping" did make me feel the haptics when adjusting the volume (felt quite nice) but when I play the video you showed, nothing happens.

Controller is plugged in directly to my PC, speaker fill is on and I used Edge so I couldn't tell what I was missing.

Chrome wouldn't work for me when I tested it the first time, but edge (the much older e icon build). It also worked with knockoff youtube players via the Windows Store (I tried one called fizztube) and Spotify. Let us know if any of those other things work for you.

This is incredible, I may get a dualsense for my PC now. Will it work with all games, including the ones through gamepass?

It for whatever reason isn't working with any of the games that I have tried (Rocket League, Destiny 2, and Forza Horizon 4). So I'm wondering if games ignore Window's sound enhancement options.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Not too thrilled that they're still using the single tiny spring for their trigger. With all of the movement and resistance, this might be a weak point. I was hoping they had moved away from that design. It's pretty flimsy.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Chrome wouldn't work for me when I tested it the first time, but edge (the much older e icon build). It also worked with knockoff youtube players via the Windows Store (I tried one called fizztube) and Spotify. Let us know if any of those other things work for you.
I tried on Edge with the blue/green icon so maybe that's why it didn't work. I tried with fizztube and it worked!!! And it felt amazing! I was so impressed I couldn't stop smiling lol. It feels like there's a really wide range to the sensations it can give compared to rumble. Man now I can't wait to try it in actual games.

Thanks for the tip!

Meowfioso

Sep 11, 2020

It for whatever reason isn't working with any of the games that I have tried (Rocket League, Destiny 2, and Forza Horizon 4). So I'm wondering if games ignore Window's sound enhancement options.
Could you try it with GLOSC? https://alia5.github.io/GloSC/

It's essentially a program for you to use a steam bug picture controller profile for any program or game since it runs as a transparent overlay. I've used it with a steam controller and switch pro controller in the past

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Plot twist: the PS5 costs 99$, the DualSense and all the absurd packed-in tech, 500$.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
Could you try it with GLOSC? https://alia5.github.io/GloSC/

It's essentially a program for you to use a steam bug picture controller profile for any program or game since it runs as a transparent overlay. I've used it with a steam controller and switch pro controller in the past

So that actually worked with Forza Horizon 4. But the controls kept switching between keyboard and the dualsense VERY rapidly, cutting throttle and button inputs in and out. Not sure what was causing it to do that. but it did, in turn, result in Forza playing audio via the rear audio channels as well, resulting in speaker fill actually working and some level of haptics based on engine sounds and passing car sounds. Not the best use case, so I'm going to keep exploring games until I find one that's audio makes for a good haptic experience. Obviously none of this will be like the PS5 experience were the haptics are tailor made to feel right.

EDIT:
Okay after doing a system restart and ensuring that speaker fill stayed on, it seems like I'm getting it to work on pretty much all steam games that I tried last night but it didn't work on then. Rocket League (music muted) I can only feel goal explosions. As for using GloSC for nonsteam games, seems like it just sort of flickers between working and not working control wise - it's unreliable. As for getting a good experience, while Windows audio doesn't seem to affect the haptic strength when listening to music or watching youtube, oddly in game volume seems to matter.

Last edited:

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Feast your eyes.
www.roadtovr.com

We talked earlier this week about the impressive haptics and IMU in the PS5 DualSense controller, and now we can show you what it looks like in action. While the PS5 DualSense controller doesn’t currently allow for position (6DOF) tracking, its rotational (3DOF) tracking is very impressive...

I used to play Driveclub using the DS4 motion control just for fun. I'll definitely play GT7 with motion, and also taking advantage of the haptic feedback & adaptive triggers.

Meowfioso

Sep 11, 2020
So that actually worked with Forza Horizon 4. But the controls kept switching between keyboard and the dualsense VERY rapidly, cutting throttle and button inputs in and out. Not sure what was causing it to do that. but it did, in turn, result in Forza playing audio via the rear audio channels as well, resulting in speaker fill actually working and some level of haptics based on engine sounds and passing car sounds. Not the best use case, so I'm going to keep exploring games until I find one that's audio makes for a good haptic experience. Obviously none of this will be like the PS5 experience were the haptics are tailor made to feel right.
That's very odd about it switching between keyboard and controller mapping, but worked to some degree. I agree, I don't think anything on PC will compare to 1st party PS5 games for the experience. Was it immersive at all or would I be better off continuing to use an xbox controller with the haptic triggers on PC?

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Feast your eyes.
www.roadtovr.com

I honestly think that's the most impressive motion recognition of a controller I've seen

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Feast your eyes.
www.roadtovr.com

Gyro aiming (& flick stick) better become more common on the PS5. This shit looks incredible.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So it sounds like there is 2 modes for rumble/haptics
1) General "catchall" rumble/haptics for all games that work based off the sound the controller is producing. This seems to work on everything non-PS5
2) PS5 exclusive rumble/haptics see Astrobot. This is on a PS5 game by game basis I suspect.

Does that sound right?

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
That's very odd about it switching between keyboard and controller mapping, but worked to some degree. I agree, I don't think anything on PC will compare to 1st party PS5 games for the experience. Was it immersive at all or would I be better off continuing to use an xbox controller with the haptic triggers on PC?

My Elite Series 2 is still easier to just pick up and use on PC and still be able to enjoy rumble in a way that was intended by the developer. Like for Forza, the xbox's rumble is better as a lot of the audio doesn't come through as rumble on the DualSense. Destiny 2 on the other hand worked pretty well imo. Tractor cannon had a pretty distinct feel via the sound it plays through the haptics.

ornery

Nov 15, 2017
Walked into Target and snagged a DualSense and boy this thing a chonker compared to the DS4

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My Elite Series 2 is still easier to just pick up and use on PC and still be able to enjoy rumble in a way that was intended by the developer. Like for Forza, the xbox's rumble is better as a lot of the audio doesn't come through as rumble on the DualSense. Destiny 2 on the other hand worked pretty well imo. Tractor cannon had a pretty distinct feel via the sound it plays through the haptics.
Can you comment a little more on Destiny2, I've been trying to find impressions on PC with Dualsense, but it seems a lot of people were having problems getting it working. Would you still go back to the Xbox controller or is the Dualsense a game changer with the way it feels with the gunplay

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Feast your eyes.
www.roadtovr.com

What the heck? How does it know the direction? I get the tilt but it keeps yaw absolutely flawlessly even after vigorous shaking

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
Can you comment a little more on Destiny2, I've been trying to find impressions on PC with Dualsense, but it seems a lot of people were having problems getting it working. Would you still go back to the Xbox controller or is the Dualsense a game changer with the way it feels with the gunplay

I am admittedly a keyboard and mouse D2 player primarily. But I've spent some time with DS and the Elite Series 2 controller. I personally think they're both extremely comfortable controllers, though the DualSense is not as heavy and there for less fatiguing which is nice. Obviously the haptics designed for Destiny 2 are stronger on the Elite controller, especially with things like shots hitting your guardian. So things have more punch on the Elite control by virtue of true rumble support. The DualSense, which I am growing much more used to playing with though is winning me over by the way it fits my hands in particular alone. The haptics on Destiny 2 are interesting and every gun feels different (provided it produces feedback at all). My only wish is that it was stronger or got official support down the road via drivers from Sony or detection from games that are DS enhanced on the PS5. I guess it comes down to A.) Are you getting a PS5? Then sure use the dualsense that comes with it on PC, it's painless when customized to work via Steam's controller support. B.) Do you like tinkering with hardware? The experience is currently less than it will be on PS5 and hacky at best as it's just using game audio for haptics. If so, there's some fun to be had, especially with youtube videos like the one I posted a few pages back. But ultimately if you're looking for a controller that works with all of it's new features beyond controlling your game, then until official or fan drivers exist, this may not be for you.

What the heck? How does it know the direction? I get the tilt but it keeps yaw absolutely flawlessly even after vigorous shaking

I get the ingame prompts with the dualsense after selecting it in the options, but there is no haptic feedback on my end, nor adaptive triggers.

Last edited:

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I hope this eliminate gyro drift. I guess DS4 probably doesn't drift much but the Steam Controller's gyro is horrible with drift. So annoying.
I wonder if it's the Bluetooth feature set . People figured it would be used fo VR, but maybe it's tracking angle of arrival/ departure on the dualsense at all times

Popokarimu

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

MKBHD just put up a video about the controller echoing the sentiments of everyone else.

Edit: Beaten!