• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I was using Dolby Atmos on XSX and PC for a while but since this showed up in the insider apps a gave it a try and so far I'm liking it more than Atmos. The highs sound very crisp and the bass is a bit better with DTS as well. Right now the price is only $10 so I'm going to grab this one too.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm 99% sure that when I first opened the app yesterday it said the normal price but I left it running for a few minutes while I checked my phone. Not this weird $0 USD thing. And it's not just on Amy XSX, but I tried my old One S and the Windows 10 store, all have the same issue.
Issue seems to have fixed itself. Both are now at $14 aud. Still not sure which to get out of Dolby or dts

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Still not sure whether to get Dolby Atmos or DTS for my XSS after reading through this thread. Which is generally considered better? I'm mostly going to plug my headphones in my controller, I think and using HD558s (which seems to have a profile in DTS from my trial with it so far)

Oct 27, 2017
Gaia
Just bought DTS X for headphones. Anyone using Beyerdynamic DT 1990 with this? They don't have a profile and I'm wondering what profile I should go for.

Nov 21, 2020
Can anyone help with setting up DTS on series X?
I keep getting the error ''Failed to set DTS Headphone:X on the connected device'. My headphone is connected to soundblaster g6 which is connected to the optical out on the tv. I have tried plug the headphone straight into the controller but still getting the same error.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Still not sure whether to get Dolby Atmos or DTS for my XSS after reading through this thread. Which is generally considered better? I'm mostly going to plug my headphones in my controller, I think and using HD558s (which seems to have a profile in DTS from my trial with it so far)
Cerealmaterial
My experience was that the Dolby app has a better generic profile (which is all that it currently offers), but that the DTS app sounds better if your headphones do have a profile.
It may depend on your headphones/ears/preferences though.

Oct 27, 2017
Cerealmaterial
My experience was that the Dolby app has a better generic profile (which is all that it currently offers), but that the DTS app sounds better if your headphones do have a profile.
It may depend on your headphones/ears/preferences though.
Thanks for that. It does make it a bit easier. I'm still waiting on the Penrose X to be delivered so I doubt they'll have a specific sound profile for it already. May be better going with Dolby for now

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Thanks for that. It does make it a bit easier. I'm still waiting on the Penrose X to be delivered so I doubt they'll have a specific sound profile for it already. May be better going with Dolby for now
Yesterday and today I've given DTS a go but I think I prefer Atmos. This has been with Gears 5 and FH4 with a very basic pair of Marley headphones.

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
Am I doing something wrong, I select DTS headphone X under spartial sound after right clicking on the speaker in the taskbar. But everytime I turn my PC on and off again it automaticaly switches to Windows sonic.
Do I have to set it as default some where?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Am I doing something wrong, I select DTS headphone X under spartial sound after right clicking on the speaker in the taskbar. But everytime I turn my PC on and off again it automaticaly switches to Windows sonic.
I'm not sure of the cause, but I've found that after some update I have to launch the DTS app every time now to have it reauthenticate my license before I can use it. It's very frustrating. It resets the profile to generic every time too.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

That's a bug. Mine frequently goes back to stereo for no reason and I have to change it back again, happened with both Atmos and DTS X.

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
That's a bug. Mine frequently goes back to stereo for no reason and I have to change it back again, happened with both Atmos and DTS X.
Can confirm. Need to set it first thing after os boots, always.
I'm not sure of the cause, but I've found that after some update I have to launch the DTS app every time now to have it reauthenticate my license before I can use it. It's very frustrating. It resets the profile to generic every time too.

Thanks for the help. Il have to put a sticky note on my monitor to remind me :D

Jul 26, 2018
I'm getting the same issue with Atmos since yesterday. And it's not just $0, but $0 USD and I'm in Australia.
Yea exactly the same thing then.
I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm 99% sure that when I first opened the app yesterday it said the normal price but I left it running for a few minutes while I checked my phone. Not this weird $0 USD thing. And it's not just on Amy XSX, but I tried my old One S and the Windows 10 store, all have the same issue.
Issue seems to have fixed itself. Both are now at $14 aud. Still not sure which to get out of Dolby or dts
I've been using Atmos on headphones for a year, only recently started using DTS. DTS sounds better to my ears, on games that are supported and even ones that are not. They are both on sale for black Friday :)

I don't get it, I'd like to get DTS:X for headphones for my XSX but I don't see it "on sale"? the only thing I found in the MS Store is "DTS Sound Unbound", which is $ 0. Is this the right link?

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
I keep getting the error ''Failed to set DTS Headphone:X on the connected device'. My headphone is connected to soundblaster g6 which is connected to the optical out on the tv. I have tried plug the headphone straight into the controller but still getting the same error.
Did you solve this? A hard reboot (go into settings and turn off the console) worked for me.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you owned it on Xbox One delete and reinstall the app

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Dolby on Sale for $10.50 for the next 10 days. I'm thinking of finally picking it up to compare to DTS which i picked up last time.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Dolby on Sale for $10.50 for the next 10 days. I'm thinking of finally picking it up to compare to DTS which i picked up last time.

You can free trial it. I'm doing that for both at the moment but I think I like DTS a bit better since it seems a bit better with the spacial awareness stuff, I think.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland

This stopped happening to me when I updated Win 10 to 20H2, previously Sonic would always take over as soon as I launched a game...now it does not do that since the feature update. Unknown though if DTS fixed this themselves with an app update and it's just a coincidence.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I've been testing both Dolby and DTS on a few games that support it like Gears 5 and dont support it like Apex Legends (I don't think it supports it at least) and I think both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Dolby sounds a bit richer in sound with good punchy bass and everything sounds pretty clear. DTS on the other hand definitely sounds a lot more spacious but in turn sounds a bit tinny until you go right up against an enemy. I found that DTS is a lot better with figuring out where an enemy is and how far they actually are where Dolby isn't bad but definitely worse than DTS. Both are ok for figuring out height position. DTS isn't actually that bad for sound quality though and have been pretty happy with it playing other games too.

I think at this point, maybe Dolby is better for movies and music but I haven't played any media on it yet so I can't really confirm. DTS sounds pretty nice for gaming especially for shooters if you need to figure out where someone is coming from.

I'm not really an audio head so idk if what I'm saying makes sense lol. I'm testing this on a Sennheiser HD558 which has a profile on DTS and its connected to an XSX controller.

I'll keep testing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I've been testing both Dolby and DTS on a few games that support it like Gears 5 and dont support it like Apex Legends (I don't think it supports it at least) and I think both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Dolby sounds a bit richer in sound with good punchy bass and everything sounds pretty clear. DTS on the other hand definitely sounds a lot more spacious but in turn sounds a bit tinny until you go right up against an enemy. I found that DTS is a lot better with figuring out where an enemy is and how far they actually are where Dolby isn't bad but definitely worse than DTS. Both are ok for figuring out height position. DTS isn't actually that bad for sound quality though and have been pretty happy with it playing other games too.

I think at this point, maybe Dolby is better for movies and music but I haven't played any media on it yet so I can't really confirm. DTS sounds pretty nice for gaming especially for shooters if you need to figure out where someone is coming from.

I'm not really an audio head so idk if what I'm saying makes sense lol. I'm testing this on a Sennheiser HD558 which has a profile on DTS and its connected to an XSX controller.

I'll keep testing.

For gaming that sounds about right. DTS X sounds much "bigger" but in doing so it can make certain frequencies sound tinny and close sounds sound further away than they should be. Funnily enough I've found that it actually works better for movies where it doesn't sound as artificial (though voices can still be an issue).

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I got Dolby Atmos for Headphones instead because I found it to be bit more to my tastes, and it works for most games pretty well! Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it refuses to work with Yakuza: Like a Dragon's surround sound settings.

Broman1978

Nov 11, 2017
I have the Steelseries 7x. Do I lose some quality or something if I use them wireless compare to plug them in my controller with the 3.5mm cord? Just bought the DTS app on my Xbox :)

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I purchased Dolby Atmos for Headphones, but I'm still not sure if I am supposed to select "Surround Sound" or "Headphones/Stereo" in game for the proper experience. Does anyone know?

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Finally ended up getting DTS since it helps a lot playing shooters like Apex. Maybe I'll pick up Dolby next time but this should do for now

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Finally bought Dolby Atmos with black friday price drop. I changed between DTS & Dolby and could barely tell the difference, except Dolby was more boomy, which was fixed with a small equalizer in the dolby access settings. I picked it because i saw that Cyberpunk 2077 will support it. Pretty much the main selling point.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Since i last tried this fory Arctis 9x there was no option to pick them have they been added yet?