• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
DTS still seems to have that echoing effect that takes getting used too. I have the arctis pro wired and it sounds ok but its not as good as atmos imo.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Been testing the latest release on my Xbox with a bunch of DTS: X UHD films. Did a bit of digging and it seems like it actually does decode and send the DTS: X signal to your headphones rather than just upmixing DTS HDMA one. Not sure if they changed it recently but it's sound a lot better with the UHD films I've tried (Bad Boys 3, Harry Potter and Jumanji) than it did with games. The soundstage is far more 3D and out of your head compared to Atmos but it doesn't sound as echoey or distant as it did for games. The only issue is that it seems to make dialog sound a little soft and distant sounding whereas Atmos made it even more upfront if anything. Disappointed that it still doesn't have a profile for my HD800 though.

Haven't tried it any games this time around since made another account to get the free trial again. Will definitely be buying it once goes on sale for $10-15.

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
For those using Atmos for Headphones, which preset do you use? The Game preset definitely sounds more "open" but dialogue sounds more natural with the Movie preset. I've mostly been sticking with Movie but can't help wondering if I'm not getting the most out of it.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I tried running my Apple TV through my One X to see if I could get Atmos / DTS X from my iTunes movies to my headphones but it only gives you the option for "Surround Sound", no detail on different codecs. Does anyone have any better understanding of what I can and can't do here?

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Have they fixed the issue where the DTS app on PC would automatically launch on login regardless of your startup settings? It was impossible to disable that, and the app was also consuming an unusually high number of resources.

Edit: For reference, they did seem to have fixed that issue. Downloaded the app again and it doesn't start automatically after it's been properly configured.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020
Been testing the latest release on my Xbox with a bunch of DTS: X UHD films. Did a bit of digging and it seems like it actually does decode and send the DTS: X signal to your headphones rather than just upmixing DTS HDMA one. Not sure if they changed it recently but it's sound a lot better with the UHD films I've tried (Bad Boys 3, Harry Potter and Jumanji) than it did with games. The soundstage is far more 3D and out of your head compared to Atmos but it doesn't sound as echoey or distant as it did for games. The only issue is that it seems to make dialog sound a little soft and distant sounding whereas Atmos made it even more upfront if anything. Disappointed that it still doesn't have a profile for my HD800 though.

Haven't tried it any games this time around since made another account to get the free trial again. Will definitely be buying it once goes on sale for $10-15.

Where did you find the information that it decodes the DTS:X track because I couldn't find anything definitive anywhere after looking for hours? Whenever I play a film with a DTS:X soundtrack it still doesn't acknowledge in the task bar (Windows 10 PC here) that the headphones are in fact decoding DTS:X like it does in games.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's currently on sale for 33% off, great timing.

Where did you find the information that it decodes the DTS:X track because I couldn't find anything definitive anywhere after looking for hours? Whenever I play a film with a DTS:X soundtrack it still doesn't acknowledge in the task bar (Windows 10 PC here) that the headphones are in fact decoding DTS:X like it does in games.

Found it here but it only mentions Xbox. i don't have any DTS:X content on PC to try, only my UHDs.

medium.com

Medium – Where good ideas find you.

Medium is an open platform where readers find dynamic thinking, and where expert and undiscovered voices can share their writing on any topic.
Xander51/dts-sound-unbound-review-53cd2252c493

"I didn't talk about the extra audio decoder much because I don't have that many Blu-ray discs anymore and I mostly stream film content these days, but if you want to decode DTS:X content on your Xbox without a dedicated receiver and listen to it on your headphones, this is a much cheaper way to do that."

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say. the dtx headphone x on my steelseries arctis pro wired is pretty damn good once ya configure it right.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
I tried it and didn't really find a lot of games I was gonna play that had (plain) DTS. I'm curious what people who got this managed to use this for. Maybe video files with 5.1/7.1 audio tracks?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
So how do you know this is working on games that don't support Atmos or spatial sound? Even with the disable enhancements box unchecked it doesn't say "DTS:X is in use" for normal 7.1 games.

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
So how do you know this is working on games that don't support Atmos or spatial sound? Even with the disable enhancements box unchecked it doesn't say "DTS:X is in use" for normal 7.1 games.
It should say it, some others have mentioned this issue though. Never had the issue myself so I don't know what you should do to fix it.

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if this would be beneficial to me , I already own a sound blaster g6 DAC

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Since it's on sale i've decided to pick up DTS X, I'll see what i can test this out on. I'm in between GPU upgrades so i can't really play anything recent.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
If you've tried spatial audio before and weren't a fan, why use this newer one over those other options? Well, it doesn't make games sound overly "tinny" (windows sonic) or like the bass is blown out or just otherwise funky (dolby atmos for headphones). Seriously, it's near stereo clarity/quality, but with outstanding positional benefits. It's solid enough that I'm really thinking about spending $20 on the license when my trial runs out (lasts 14 days), which I absolutely did not expect.

Both sets of headphones that I've owned recently (RIG 800LX and Lucidsound LS35X) are not bass-heavy headsets, so Dolby Atmos helps punch it up a little bit. I wouldn't say the bass is blown out but maybe it's different through bassier headsets, or speaker systems. Not sure what you mean by "funky" either.

Jun 10, 2018
Just got done with my free trial of DTS:X for Headphones. And honestly it doesn't sound much different to Dolby Atmos for Headphones when using a headset not in the supported list (and thus have to use the Generic mode). I honestly prefer Dolby Atmos to DTS:X. I use a HyperX Cloud Stinger headset and it's not in the supported list. I would probably feel differently if I was using a supported Headset. I was testing it with my playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2 and Dolby Atmos definitely sounds a bit better to me. It has less echo and what seems like a little better directional audio.

Edit: Should note, this was on an Xbox One X.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Man I cannot find an xbox list for this.

EDIT: and I own the Windows 10 copy of Metro Exodus from when it was on gamepass. That should work with this right?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I assume that just like Atmos, buying the license on PC grants it to your Xbox as well?

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Anybody tried this on Massdrop/Sennheiser HD 6XX? Sounding good?
That's what I have, I use it with the HD 650 profile since they're virtually identical. Works fantastically.
Both sets of headphones that I've owned recently (RIG 800LX and Lucidsound LS35X) are not bass-heavy headsets, so Dolby Atmos helps punch it up a little bit. I wouldn't say the bass is blown out but maybe it's different through bassier headsets, or speaker systems. Not sure what you mean by "funky" either.
It's probably down to the HRTF for atmos not working well for my ears. When things are up close, it's almost echoy and muffled at the same time (which could also be why the bass sounds so off to me in general).
Man I cannot find an xbox list for this.

EDIT: and I own the Windows 10 copy of Metro Exodus from when it was on gamepass. That should work with this right?
The list in the first post applies to xbox as well.

Simonnnnn

Oct 27, 2017
Trying this out on my HyperX Cloud II's on the Xbox, seeing as it's on sale. Very impressed so far. Special sound feels much more immersive than Atmos.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
That's what I have, I use it with the HD 650 profile since they're virtually identical. Works fantastically.

It's probably down to the HRTF for atmos not working well for my ears. When things are up close, it's almost echoy and muffled at the same time (which could also be why the bass sounds so off to me in general).

I have the exact opposite experience on my HD800s for gaming. Overall DTS: X sounds way more airy and "3D" but it makes things up close that should sound crisp and immediate echoey and distant. Obvious examples is the reload/footstep sounds in CoD and the music in Horizon 4 which sounds actually horrible with it. Atmos doesn't mess with the music or close sounds but had the problem of not sounding anywhere near as spacious. At times it's hard to tell Atmos is doing anything at all whereas you can easily tell with DTS because it's so much more pronounced.

Aisod

Mar 21, 2020
It's currently on sale for 33% off, great timing.

Found it here but it only mentions Xbox. i don't have any DTS:X content on PC to try, only my UHDs.

medium.com

Medium – Where good ideas find you.

Medium is an open platform where readers find dynamic thinking, and where expert and undiscovered voices can share their writing on any topic.
Xander51/dts-sound-unbound-review-53cd2252c493

"I didn't talk about the extra audio decoder much because I don't have that many Blu-ray discs anymore and I mostly stream film content these days, but if you want to decode DTS:X content on your Xbox without a dedicated receiver and listen to it on your headphones, this is a much cheaper way to do that."

Got it yesterday. Good lookin out!

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Oh alright.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Looks like it's $13.99

Would the license carry over to the Series X?
No word on that. Hopefully it will since all other xbox one software is supposed to be compatible. I use both Dolby Atmos and DTS Headphone a lot and would love to keep using them on Series X. If they ended up charging for a Series X license I'd pay it. I don't use speakers so they feel like a must at this point. Every time I play a game on PS4 I miss having it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
No word on that. Hopefully it will since all other xbox one software is supposed to be compatible. I use both Dolby Atmos and DTS Headphone a lot and would love to keep using them on Series X. If they ended up charging for a Series X license I'd pay it. I don't use speakers so they feel like a must at this point. Every time I play a game on PS4 I miss having it.

Thanks, I'm probably gonna snag this tonight. Do you have any good headphone recommendations? Perhaps something with decent bass (which I miss not using speakers) and where this effect works well?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I can't enable spacial sound. Can't even enable windows sonic.

I click either DTS or Windows sonic but it still just says spacial sound (off).

I tried opening the old style windows control panel and enabling it there, DTS isn't even an option. I tried windows sonic which was the only option, hit apply, nothing happened. As soon as I clicked outside the window it reverted to off again.

thematic

Oct 31, 2017
tried with Horizon Zero Dawn and PlayStation Pulse Elite Headset, I can't tell if the directional audio is working in-game.

is the compatibility per game basis or global?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah after testing some more testing I definitely find DTS:X much better for UHDs that support it compared to gaming. it's surprising to me that there seems to be a significant difference in how it sounds between the two with gaming sounding far more exaggerated/unnatural.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, I can't enable spacial sound. Can't even enable windows sonic.

I click either DTS or Windows sonic but it still just says spacial sound (off).

I tried opening the old style windows control panel and enabling it there, DTS isn't even an option. I tried windows sonic which was the only option, hit apply, nothing happened. As soon as I clicked outside the window it reverted to off again.

Had the same issue on PC, the app is screwy as fuck (this was a few months back). Works fine on Xbox though.

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
tried with Horizon Zero Dawn and PlayStation Pulse Elite Headset, I can't tell if the directional audio is working in-game.

is the compatibility per game basis or global?
For spatial audio, it has to be one of the games in the first post (it's possible more have come out, but I think that's all of them for now). For virtual surround, it should work in just about everything that has surround sound. There are some fringe cases that don't work with it for w/e reason, and some users seem to not be able to get the virtual surround functionality to work at all. Whether it's spatial audio or virtual surround, you'll see this when you click the speaker in your taskbar to know it's working.
hI1bz7y.jpg

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
For those using Atmos for Headphones, which preset do you use? The Game preset definitely sounds more "open" but dialogue sounds more natural with the Movie preset. I've mostly been sticking with Movie but can't help wondering if I'm not getting the most out of it.
I've tried Movie mode and i'm not sure i like it. It emphasizes dialogue but it also seems WAY louder than the Game preset. Some sounds are almost uncomfortable to listen to.
This is whether Atmos is in use or if you're listening to Stereo output. The Equalizer seem to work globally.
DTS/Atmos works with HZD. The game's mixing is horrible though, at least with this current port.
Nah, it doesn't, at least not for me. Only outputs Stereo and clicking the Sound icon in the tray will show that Atmos/DTS won't be in use.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Nah, it doesn't, at least not for me. Only outputs Stereo and clicking the Sound icon in the tray will show that Atmos/DTS won't be in use.

That sucks. I know others have had problems getting it to activate, but I've never had that issue myself. HZD isn't even one of those games that pauses itself when you tab out and automatically disables DTS, so i'm not sure what's causing the issue.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I've tried Movie mode and i'm not sure i like it. It emphasizes dialogue but it also seems WAY louder than the Game preset. Some sounds are almost uncomfortable to listen to.
This is whether Atmos is in use or if you're listening to Stereo output. The Equalizer seem to work globally.

That sucks. I know others have had problems getting it to activate, but I've never had that issue myself. HZD isn't even one of those games that pauses itself when you tab out and automatically disables DTS, so i'm not sure what's causing the issue.

This is the same issue I have with the Atmos app. Since they require you to set your windows sound settings to stereo for them to be enabled most games just send stereo and not surround to be virtualized, so that notification that Atmos/DTS is working never turns on.

It really seems only worth using for games that have proper spacial audio support like modern warfare, because then it knows exactly what to do and works 100%.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This is the same issue I have with the Atmos app. Since they require you to set your windows sound settings to stereo for them to be enabled most games just send stereo and not surround to be virtualized, so that notification that Atmos/DTS is working never turns on.

It really seems only worth using for games that have proper spacial audio support like modern warfare, because then it knows exactly what to do and works 100%.

Same for me, only works properly for games that support spatial audio in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say. the dtx headphone x on my steelseries arctis pro wired is pretty damn good once ya configure it right.

Same here, with the Arctis 1 wireless. Even stuff like spotify sounds significantly better with it switched on and the correct profile used.

Does anyone know of a way to get this working via Android? Would like my headphones to sound the same when I'm using my phone.