• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Well, just tried this with my Hyper X Cloud II, in Apex Legends, it really makes a diference, despite the headphones not being featured in the list of headphones. Really good stuff

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
For those of you who have stereo only DAC such as myself, (Chord Mojo), you may have been pulling your hair out on games that autodetect Dolby Atmos / DTS Headphone X as stereo and therefore not working, such as Call of Duty MW2 Remastered, among many many others that think they know better than you.

Well after digging around I figured out the perfect solution using a program called HeSuVi. Best of all it is free and lets you use Dolby Atmos (or any other filter you can imagine) on anything. Also it has a very massive headphone EQ database built in, so you can make your headphones sound even better all the time.

Here is a guide that walks you through every single step needed.

HeSuVi / Wiki / Help

You want to use Audio Repeater KS because there is no added latency or cpu cost. I used the Voicemeeter trick before this, and it adds a lot of unavoidable latency unfortunately. The only negative to any of this is that you can not control your volume anymore using your volume scroll wheel (you can still mute it though!), but my DAC has volume control on it so it isn't really an issue. You can still use volume mixer manually to control program volumes directly as well.

This solution btw apples virtualization to everything, so when you want to listen to music in stereo or just disable Atmos / DTS, you just swap to Stereo Mix in HeSuVi and it will be just like how Dolby Atmos / DTS Headphone X automatically ignore stereo content. I even made a shortcut on my taskbar that quickly toggles between Virtualization and Stereo Mix, just create a shortcut to HeSuVi and then add "-f d1" without the quotes to the Target command line. I tested for a long time going back and forth between the Dolby Atmos app vs Hesuvi Dolby Atmos, and it is identical to Dolby Atmos with Performance turned on.

Also, if you are going to play a game that actually supports Atmos / DTS (Object Based Audio) such as Ori or Gears 5, for those games you actually want to use the Windows app version, and not HeSuVi, as this doesn't replicate the Object Based Audio, it just replicates how Atmos / DTS convert 7.1 and 5.1 mixes.

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
For those of you who have stereo only DAC such as myself, (Chord Mojo), you may have been pulling your hair out on games that autodetect Dolby Atmos / DTS Headphone X as stereo and therefore not working
I'm curious, do you have "disable all enhancements" checked in your sound control panel? Because that disables the virtual surround feature. I use a Schiit Modi 2 as my DAC (which is stereo only) and I've never had issues with it reporting as surround to games and applications.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I'm curious, do you have "disable all enhancements" checked in your sound control panel? Because that disables the virtual surround feature. I use a Schiit Modi 2 as my DAC (which is stereo only) and I've never had issues with it reporting as surround to games and applications.
Nah, my DAC doesn't even have the enhancements tab at all, and most games DO detect that it is 7.1 capable with Dolby / DTS enabled and it just works. But there are still quite a few stubborn games that do not detect. For example in Modern Warfare 2 Remastered, using my DAC + Atmos, I can only choose Auto-detect, Stereo, Headphones, and none of them will activate the "Dolby Atmos for Headphones is in use.". Whereas if I use VB-Audio virtual cable or VoiceMeeter, the game now lets me choose 5.1 and 7.1 as well.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I'm getting my audio cut out for split seconds every few minutes or so when using Dolby Atmos for Headphones playing Gears 5 connected through an original Elite controller. Anyone have any ideas? The positional audio sounds great through my HyperX Cloud 2 headphones but the random cut outs in audio is completely ruining the experience. Anyone have any ideas?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Giving this a bump to see if OP or anybody has heard anything new about updates to this.

I recently bought a DAC amp for general use. Since then, I've been using 24 bit, 48 kHz because that's what is recommended for the hardware. The problem is, DTS Headphone:X doesn't work unless it's on 16 bit. In fact, whenever I enable it, it automatically switches the format back to 16 bit.

I remember seeing something a while back that they were working on 24 bit support, but haven't seen anything since. Anybody know if they're still working on that or should I just give up on that hope?

Because right now it's either I go with 16 bit and DTS or 24 bit with better general fidelity in everything else. I guess I could manually switch, but that's a real pain in the ass and not something I'd think about when launching a game.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Giving this a bump to see if OP or anybody has heard anything new about updates to this.

I recently bought a DAC amp for general use. Since then, I've been using 24 bit, 48 kHz because that's what is recommended for the hardware. The problem is, DTS Headphone:X doesn't work unless it's on 16 bit. In fact, whenever I enable it, it automatically switches the format back to 16 bit.

I remember seeing something a while back that they were working on 24 bit support, but haven't seen anything since. Anybody know if they're still working on that or should I just give up on that hope?

Because right now it's either I go with 16 bit and DTS or 24 bit with better general fidelity in everything else. I guess I could manually switch, but that's a real pain in the ass and not something I'd think about when launching a game.
16-bit vs 24-bit generally only matters if you're using Windows for volume control rather than your amplifier.
I would prefer that they didn't limit things to 16-bit though, for the sake of convenience.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
16-bit vs 24-bit generally only matters if you're using Windows for volume control rather than your amplifier.
I would prefer that they didn't limit things to 16-bit though, for the sake of convenience.
Since I've had the DAC amp, I've had Windows set to 100% since I read that's best practice for these. And from there I just control the volume I want using the knob on the device.

So that means that, in theory, I should still get the same quality at 16 bit for my general use cases and also be able to use DTS? I'm alright with that. I guess I could try that for a bit and see if I can even notice any change in quality. Thanks.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Since I've had the DAC amp, I've had Windows set to 100% since I read that's best practice for these. And from there I just control the volume I want using the knob on the device.

So that means that, in theory, I should still get the same quality at 16 bit for my general use cases and also be able to use DTS? I'm alright with that. I guess I could try that for a bit and see if I can even notice any change in quality. Thanks.
24 bit only matters for audio recording and production. The playback will be indistinguishable between 16-bit and 24-bit.

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
so I have Atmos. Its compatible with a handful of game and does a bit of "upscaling" sound persay on everything else. Will DTS outperform Atmos for everything else Im playing?

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
so I have Atmos. Its compatible with a handful of game and does a bit of "upscaling" sound persay on everything else. Will DTS outperform Atmos for everything else Im playing?
About the same really. Tbh I prefered DTS only in native Atmos games, and Atmos upscale for everything else. I do performance mode off and equalizer off. Make sure that for games not natively spatial audio (which is almost all games), that they are set to be 7.1 if at all possible. And you will need to do workarounds for a few games so use the guide I have a few posts back.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
While all of these are good for 360 positional cues, none of them seem accurate at all to me when it comes to the center and front positions. They are all wildly off axis and sound like they are being projected down from about two feet above my head (which is fine for sides and rears). In the meantime, I'll stick with Dolby Headphone for gaming, and my Realiser A8 for movies.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Has anybody noticed the app spiking their cpu performance when not been used?

It seems to hit 2 cores at 100% at random times when I am not using dts.x.

OP
OP
Kickfister

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
While all of these are good for 360 positional cues, none of them seem accurate at all to me when it comes to the center and front positions. They are all wildly off axis and sound like they are being projected down from about two feet above my head (which is fine for sides and rears). In the meantime, I'll stick with Dolby Headphone for gaming, and my Realiser A8 for movies.
It really is a shame that they don't create multiple HRTFs for people to experiment with to try to get something best suited for them. Lucky for me, the DTS one is spot on for me.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah that's the cause of the DTS Headphone X v2 app then. I so far haven't found a fix for this that's why I uninstalled the app and went back to the native DTS X v2 implementation in Steelseries Engine for my Arctis 7 :/ It may be worth to leave that as feedback for the app on the store, who knows maybe they will read it.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Has anybody noticed the app spiking their cpu performance when not been used?

It seems to hit 2 cores at 100% at random times when I am not using dts.x.
No CPU spikes with the DTS app on my Surface Laptop.
(I recently fresh installed Windows 10 May 2020 tho, only reinstalling the DTS app and not Dolby Access)

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HRTF never worked with me, I can tell the sound is "different" when it's supposed to be behind, so I know it's "telling" me it's behind, but it does not feel natural at all, I still hear it from the headset's position so it does not work.
I tried even when closing my eyes or not knowing "where" the sound is supposed to be, I can only tell it should be behind because of the way it's muffled.
And up/down does not work at all.
I tried many demos, several headsets, nothing worked, it never felt natural.

For me only real 5.1 and 7.1 with distant speakers work, I can position precisely sounds in space that way as I hear the sound from a more "real" position, not with HRTF.

My ears may not be compatible with that :D

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not yet unfortunately.
Now the Xbox Dashboard OS is on par to latest Windows 10 version (19041), so it's only up to DTS to publicly release the DTS Sound Unbound app also on Xbox Store.

Also DTS expect to launch it there "in the first half of 2020" standing by their FAQs.

It should arrive fairly soon.

Can't wait! :)
Thanks. Curious to try too

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Yeah that's the cause of the DTS Headphone X v2 app then. I so far haven't found a fix for this that's why I uninstalled the app and went back to the native DTS X v2 implementation in Steelseries Engine for my Arctis 7 :/ It may be worth to leave that as feedback for the app on the store, who knows maybe they will read it.

Thanks.

I usually just uninstall if I am not using for a while then install when needed as it does not take long, bit annoying none the less.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
For me only real 5.1 and 7.1 with distant speakers work
For me it's the exact opposite. I have a 5.1 speaker set but I'm often unsure if something is behind me or not. I'll notice eventually but I rarely recognise it instantly because there's still that vague feeling of "it could also be coming from the front but lower in volume... oh, now I hear it, it's from behind."

HRTF on the other hand, with my headphones, doesn't do that and I instantly recognise the direction and I don't mind or think about it being unnatural... I just hear it and locate the sound source instantly. This works for me way better than pondering, even if it's for a second or two, about the spatial source over my 5.1 speaker setup. (I already tried to adjust the settings depending on height and distance of my rear speakers but it didn't change a thing for my hearing perception. HRTF is the way to go for me.)

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yes purchased it on sale about 2 months ago now.

Alright that puts my theory to rest now too. When I noticed this behavior on my end I thought maybe it happened because I only had a hardware license with my Arctis 7 and not a full one so DTS might have checked for the Arctis every now and then when it wasn't the main output device. Really odd, I find no reports of this anywhere else online either.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Alright that puts my theory to rest now too. When I noticed this behavior on my end I thought maybe it happened because I only had a hardware license with my Arctis 7 and not a full one so DTS might have checked for the Arctis every now and then when it wasn't the main output device. Really odd, I find no reports of this anywhere else online either.
I think people are just not noticing it happen.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
does anyone know who this would effect something I have plugged into the Line-in jack of my PC?

I currently have my AV Receiver(PS4/Switch) piping audio into my PC via Line-In and was wondering if any of this virtual Audio stuff works with external audio sources.

CGS

Oct 27, 2017
So I downloaded it, followed the OP instructions, left the disable all enhancements box unchecked and selected my headphones from the list. So my question is: for Modern Warfare for example, is it automatic? or is there an option I'm not finding in the menu? Thank you!

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
So I downloaded it, followed the OP instructions, left the disable all enhancements box unchecked and selected my headphones from the list. So my question is: for Modern Warfare for example, is it automatic? or is there an option I'm not finding in the menu? Thank you!
While the game is running, alt tab and click on your volume icon in your taskbar. It should say if its being used currently or not.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Seems like you can enable it for bluetooth headsets now as well. I know I couldn't do that before.

Haven't had an opportunity to check if it works properly yet, though.