• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Seems like he's probably a tool, though I doubt that revelation would be enough to get me to ditch a piece of freeware if it did the job. If it was paid software and there were other options for what I needed, might be a different story.

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
Another alternative is to buy a converter from Brook. The Wingman NS, for example, can connect your PS3 or PS4 controllers to your PC as Xinput wirelessly (and it also converts those controllers plus X1/X360 controllers for use on Switch).
Not cheap, but it's plug-and-play and you'll never have to deal with dodgy software.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Jedi Fallen Order last December on EGS, I haven't been able to use steam input with it, only DS4Windows works.
The game launches the EGS and then it launches Origin since the game is not installed in the EGS app but in the Origin app.
Never had to launch 2 different gaming store fronts to play a game before.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Another alternative is to buy a converter from Brook. The Wingman NS, for example, can connect your PS3 or PS4 controllers to your PC as Xinput wirelessly (and it also converts those controllers plus X1/X360 controllers for use on Switch).
Not cheap, but it's plug-and-play and you'll never have to deal with dodgy software.
Thanks for the recommendation. Hadn't heard of Brooks adapters before.

Do you experience any noticeable input delays when using the Wingman NS model on PC? A few of the reviews on its amazon page mention increased latency - but I'm wondering if it's related to how far away you sit from the USB dongle/something else that can be resolved.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Is DS4Windows monetized in any way?
Nope, it's FOSS the entire way.

The original creator of DS4Windows forked it and created Inputmapper, which I believe is monetized for some stuff. DS4Windows got forked by someone, and then they quit, which lead to the current fork.

I hope that someone else comes alone to fork it again; having to set up per emulator gestures and macros again is definitely going to be annoying if I move everything to Steam Input.

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation. Hadn't heard of Brooks adapters before.

Do you experience any noticeable input delays when using the Wingman NS model on PC? A few of the reviews on its amazon page mention increased latency - but I'm wondering if it's related to how far away you sit from the USB dongle/something else that can be resolved.

I don't actually have the Wingman NS yet, but I use a Brook PS4 to X1 converter almost every day for my PS4 pad or arcade stick on my PC and it works great. My specific converter is wired only, though, so maybe the latency issues are just with the wireless mode.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Downplaying Concerns Around Alt Right Rhetoric
Maybe this guy has a suspicious history elsewhere, I don't know, but that tweet in the OP doesn't seem particularly problematic. I imagine a lot of regular citizens wouldn't take kindly to a bunch of fools trying to ransack a police station, that doesn't make them alt-right.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
Maybe this guy has a checkered history elsewhere, I don't know, but that tweet in the OP doesn't seem particularly problematic. I imagine a lot of regular citizens wouldn't take kindly to a bunch of fools trying to ransack a police station, that doesn't make them alt-right.
did you miss the Parler stuff. that should be enough to ignore him completely.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What's this about EGS games not working on Steam? Is there some truth to it?

I usually add non-Steam games (Uplay, Origin, etc) to Steam so I can use Steam input, but I never tried EGS games.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
I don't actually have the Wingman NS yet, but I use a Brook PS4 to X1 converter almost every day for my PS4 pad or arcade stick on my PC and it works great. My specific converter is wired only, though, so maybe the latency issues are just with the wireless mode.
Didn't even realise there was a wired converter - that's good to know. Think I'd rather take my chances with that than wireless. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't clicked on any links either? Terrorists storming the US capital and the social media sites they used to pull it off has literally been global news for weeks.

Sorry, I don't mean to drag this off topic. I read a bit about the assault on the Capitol around the time it happened, don't recall seeing anything about Parlor, or maybe I just skimmed past it. I don't spend any time on social media.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Is DS4Windows monetized in any way?
yeah i mean it's a free tool. I don't think you're benefiting the dev in any way by using it. He certainly seems like an asshole, but I downloaded it years ago and still need use it for non-steam games. If someone indicates a way he's benefiting by my ongoing use, I would delete it.

Aren't there, strangely enough, 2 DS4Windows projects too?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i mean it's a free tool. I don't think you're benefiting the dev in any way by using it. He certainly seems like an asshole, but I downloaded it years ago and still need use it for non-steam games. If someone indicates a way he's benefiting by my ongoing use, I would delete it.

Aren't there, strangely enough, 2 DS4Windows projects too?
Ryochan7 DS4Windows is a fork of the original DS4windows, iirc.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
any reason why sony doesn't release an official set of drivers for windows? they've released sony games on windows after all.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Ryochan7 DS4Windows is a fork of the original DS4windows, iirc.
yeah i can't keep track - I think I have the original
any reason why sony doesn't release an official set of drivers for windows? they've released sony games on windows after all.
It's super dumb they haven't but I can't imagine it'll be as fully featured as DS4Windows - you can customize pretty much everything the brightness and color of the lightbar (which is essentially given the default intensity).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sony does have drivers, but they're directinput. If the game supports directinput, they'll support Sony's controller. Some games (on a per game basis) take it further and use Sony's iconography for the buttons and whatnot.

Things like DS4Windows allow you to take advantage of the gyro and touchpad in games that don't support it. And even if Sony put out drivers that allowed for that, the games still wouldn't do it so things like DS4Windows and Steam input would still be required.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I wanted to like GloSC because of desktop touch menus, but it seems to cap at 60 fps when used (at least on desktop), so I've written it off. I don't know if it can go higher than 60 fps when used.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Bummer, still necessary tool for me (emulating V1 version of DS4 and some other features) 😬

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's the best alternative for using a Dualsense on PC?
If you play on various launchers (Gamepass, EGS, Origin, Uplay, ect ) and emulators like i do, Its DS4W. Current owner might be a shithead but the software just works without wasting time adding and modifying shortcuts to steam.

If youre on steam and have few games that can be added to it, use only that. The steam ds5 support is pretty good.

Poison Door

Dec 20, 2018
Create a github account
fork the project
?????
Profit

I honestly don't see the problem here. This is the beauty of open source. Or do you have issues with using code that's written by douche bags? Then you'll probably have to stop using anything running any kind of code..

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I was worried for a second, then realised I was using the 'original' versions by Jays2Kings which I guess stopped development a while ago, but still work just fine?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Fuck him
I've always used x360ce instead and it works flawlessly.
Everytime I tried DS4 Windows my PC crashed lmao

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this guy has a suspicious history elsewhere, I don't know, but that tweet in the OP doesn't seem particularly problematic. I imagine a lot of regular citizens wouldn't take kindly to a bunch of fools trying to ransack a police station, that doesn't make them alt-right.

Look at the guy's likes on Twitter and that'll tell you all you need to know. He's alt-right as fuck and there's no other way to put it.

Oct 25, 2017
I did the same exact thing. See the patch notes, side eye, check twitter. Glad you posted the thread, I was thinking of doing it as well.

Ds4w has been my go to driver for years, I can't get into steam input it just doesn't work smoothly for me. I'm just glad this is open source, and I haven't supported this shitty dev in using it.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
For those wanting to add EGS to Steam, even though the project is on hold SteamGridDB Manager works decently for that.

I've not tried either of these methods but theoretically for anything running outside of Steam, as long as it's running in the background, you could set the desktop config to mirror an Xinput setup and that should embed it in everything. Alternatively, you can set up a dummy Xinput setup in GLOSC that runs in the background and should work for anything (I used this for Destiny over Steam Link, but I think it should function outside of Steam if the Xinput Bypass "game" is running):

One note though, GLOSC can occasionally have issues with games that pick up multiple controllers at once, Streets of Rage 4 for instance will have duplicate inputs multiple times and I've never figured a work around for it - in my case I'm running an Xbox One controller so can disable the "Enable virtual controllers" to get it running in Steam.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If you play on various launchers (Gamepass, EGS, Origin, Uplay, ect ) and emulators like i do, Its DS4W. Current owner might be a shithead but the software just works without wasting time adding and modifying shortcuts to steam.

If youre on steam and have few games that can be added to it, use only that. The steam ds5 support is pretty good.

I got a useful tip: for everything Steam input doesn't work for, it will default to the desktop config. Bind touchpad click to Win key + 1,then drag a DS4W shortcut to the first position on the task bar. If you launch a game through GoG Galaxy or something, you should be able to click the touchpad and it should activate DS4. Just set that desktop config for the virtual Xbox controller to gamepad, and it should work everywhere a normal one should.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
who uses ds4windows? the moment steam input got ds4 support I went
3pjdjj.png

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
This is disappointing, but Ds4W is very useful, with numerous features like the ability to switch profiles using gestures on the touchpad, so I will continue using it until there is a better alternative for my needs. At least I'm not giving money to this guy though.