• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
115067_front.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Any love for Knights in the Nightmare? I can't really vouch for it but remember being intrigued at the time, despite the massive learning curve. Then I got distracted and let it fall by the wayside just an encounter or two in. My copy has been sitting on a shelf calling me for the last week or so, asking me to fire up the DS XL and give it another chance. Don't know why it waited so many years to want to be played again, but I'm willing to listen.
I never finished it, but it's an amazing game IMO, both in the style of flashback narrative and the bizarre mix of genres. Also the game is unplayable without a touchscreen, even if you can appreciate the art way more on the PSP screen

It's the example that comes to mind when I think of games whose narratives and gameplay are in perfect harmony. It's a pretty intimidating game that sets you up to fail, pushing you to engage with shady mechanics. Really memorable experience to me.
My biggest issue with CotP is that the forces you to play in a certain way (grouping your party around enemies), which limits your tactical options in an almost linear fashion, even though there's plenty of ways of engaging... until you finish all 3 paths and get to the post game. But by then I was super burned out.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to hidden gems, my mind always immediately thinks of one I know almost everyone missed, Go Go Cosmo Cops!
71d7141e-06a9-47ea-bb1b-6c2896b13d2b.jpg

I had so much fun with this game. You sling shot your heroes to different platforms, trying to grabs items and deal with enemies. It worked so amazingly well with the touch screen mechanics. Great game!

And another somewhat hidden gem. I think a lot of people heard about it, but few actually played it, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.
gfs_115131_2_5.jpg

I put this game's story up there with FFT. There are several paths you can play through, each with different battles, story elements and ch

I remember the ending for the evil route really annoying me lol

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
all the Pokémon Ranger games
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon explorers of Sky
Ghost Trick Phantom Detective

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, really? It had been ages since I played the original so I didn't really notice the difference in story and aesthetic.

The remake adds in a new character whose sole purpose is to say that every choice you make in the original game is stupid and wrong, and the aesthetic changes from a very grounded and practical Sci-Fi future by Kaneko to swirly backgrounds all over the place whenever you fight and terrible Doi character artwork.

It's basically a new high point for taking a dump on a classic in an unnecessary remake.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
That should have been the easiest route, since you had to sacrifice the most companions, I believe, to get that. What was annoying for you? :)

Wasn't the ending basically "actually you're scum" or something? Reminded me of the end to Vile mode on MMX on the PSP lol. I always find it a bit eh when evil routes have those kinds of endings

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Wasn't the ending basically "actually you're scum" or something? Reminded me of the end to Vile mode on MMX on the PSP lol. I always find it a bit eh when evil routes have those kinds of endings
Ah, I see. To be fair, though, the story (all paths) really does a good job of spelling out and justifying how any one of the three (if memory serves) endings is plausible. It's definitely not a feel-good game, though, regardless of route. :D

closer

Oct 25, 2017
henry hatsworth
phoenix wright
professor layton
ghost trick
advance wars
FFTA2
Trauma Center

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The remake adds in a new character whose sole purpose is to say that every choice you make in the original game is stupid and wrong, and the aesthetic changes from a very grounded and practical Sci-Fi future by Kaneko to swirly backgrounds all over the place whenever you fight and terrible Doi character artwork.

It's basically a new high point for taking a dump on a classic in an unnecessary remake.

I'm pretty sure I had just the back ground of the location itself, don't think I had swirley backgrounds.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
should've stuck with Insecticide and explained what's interesting about it since we've had Hotel Dusk and obvious choices like that mentioned four times on page 1 already (this thread is form 2019^^).

so ...what's the deal with Insecticide?
I admit I just kinda skimmed the front and didn't check the date lol. Sorry about that.

Insecticide is an adventure game helmed by two former LucasArts devs, Larry Ahern and Mike Levine. It takes place in a world where humans shriveled up and devolved into a near-vegetable species, and insects got larger and more intelligent, becoming the dominant species.
You play as a rookie detective solving a multi-layered conspiracy in a corrupted city.

I played it in 2008 when it came out, there's two basic gameplay loops: one is point and click puzzle solving where you examine a crime scene for clues, collect evidence, and interview suspects. The other is platforming/shooting as you explore the city and hunt/down fight criminals. Apparently you had unique insect-based abilities as well, but that's according to the synopsis. I can't recall any from memory personally. What I do remember is enjoying all the quirky bug characters.

You can also play it on steam: however, it had some sort of troubled development that led to only half the game being released on PC. You can read more about the troubled development here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
So in the DS era I kept most of my carts in a carrying case and have managed to lose a lot of them over the years. Trying to rebuild my collection, currently I have complete:

Pokemon Black/White/2/2
Pokémon Conquest
Metroid Prime Hunters
Contra 4
Mega Man Zero Collection
Dragon Quest 4/5/6/9
SD Gundam G Generation DS
Emblem of Gundam
SD Gundam G Gen Cross Drive
Gundam 00
SD Gundam Sangokuden DS
Super Princess Peach
Metal Slug 7

Looking for any/all recommendations!
I love that you have Super Princess Peach. What a game.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Here are games not on your list which I loved:

1. Elite Beat Agents - A rhythm game with a great soundtrack. I don't love rhythm stuff but love this.

2. Infinite Space - A sci-fi epic with a cool story, lots to explore, and a weird but fun battle system. Maybe look at videos as it's a weird game that won't appeal to all

3. The Dark Spire - an old school, hard dungeon crawler with a neat visual style. The game's hard, but I love it. Music is great too.

4. Avalon Code - A weiiiiird RPG where you have this book and you scan things in the world into it and then can use those things to do all sorts of stuff. Scan fire then put fire on your weapon. Scan poison then poison a boss. This mechanics is used for everything in the game. The book is huge and can get cumbersome to go through, but I really enjoyed this quirky game and haven't played anything else like it

5. Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime. Play as the titular slime from DQ in a Zelda like adventure. It's a unique concept and is seriously a joy to play. This is one of my favorite DS games - play it!!

I could go on and on the DS is a beast. But I'll stop here. I hope you find something you love!