• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
The pixel star has definitely faded for me. My pixel 1 was great, but 2, 3 and 4 didn't seem as great.

I picked up a 3a at Black Friday last year and it is pretty great as well. The battery life is fantastic and the camera does well too. For $300, this is a great value, and focuses on the two things that I care about in a phone.

Nexus 6P still the undisputed champ

The champ of boot loop maybe.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Last decent pixel was the 2 tbh.

Flagship prices for not flagship hardware and features. Image quality was only the really thing that stood up against the competition. Combine that with lacklustre marketing and yeah, this really isn't a surprise.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the 4a. I absolutely abhor large phones (especially since I have tiny hands), and the Pixel seems like the only Android line right now that has a small (at least to 2020 standards) screen and also a great camera.

I wish we had an Android phone in 2020 that was as small as the OG Moto X or the One Plus X, but we don't. I'll take what I can get.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
I own a pixel 3 (bought recently for $400) and am underwhelmed. The battery life is terrible and the screen is borderline unusable outside.

I just wish I could get stock Android on better hardware.

Go for a oneplus. Oxygen OS is basically stock android with some cool quality of life features. If you're into modding, you can root oneplus phones as well.

With the exception of this year's releases, 1+ phones are lacking in the camera department.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Pixel phones are unexciting phones with compromises and charge like apple, of course, it is bound to fail. Also, limited availability is a huge issue as well as support

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My 2XL is not running so hot anymore, but I'm still holding out to see if Google will release a model with more than 128 GB of non-expandable storage. If they don't, I'll probably have to switch brands.

EDIT: Part of the reason my phone runs like shit now is because its storage is almost full. I don't understand why Google thinks people don't need storage capacity.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This post is a complete joke, the Android ecosystem caters to all types of people. There are tons of casual consumers who buy Samsung and Huawei phones. The iPhone 11 pro has the best camera out right now no question, but that doesn't discount the other companies who make great cameras. Google and Huawei are neck to neck with apple when it comes to photos, and the Pixel 3 has an amazing selfie camera.
None of that contradicts what I said. I never said that Android phones don't have good cameras.
But I have seen many discussions online with people asking questions like why Samsung and others are putting a high resolution selfie camera on their phones. Why they have to pay for that expensive ultra-wide lens that's being used on it when they would rather have a phone without one etc.
It's people that want to jailbreak and tinker with every setting under the hood, questioning why anyone would buy into a locked ecosystem where you have to buy apps instead of compile them from source.
And the other segment of the Android market is largely made up of people buying cheap phones. Not bad phones, but not in the market for something expensive.

The majority of the audience that buys high-end iPhones don't even pay attention to what companies like Google are doing, and are unlikely to switch.
Chasing after them is not the right approach.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Android is for nerds that question why phones even have cameras - especially front-facing ones, or people that cannot afford high-end phones.
It shouldn't be surprising that this approach failed to grow the audience.

Even with the stupid launch of the Pixel 4, going in directions that most people seemingly didn't want them to go in, this is a pretty bad take.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
They should go back to making budget phones.
You can get a realme 6 with a 90mhz 6.3" screen, 64gb storage, sd card slot, 4gb ram, and three cameras for $200. Yes it doesn't perform as well as a Pixel but it sure looks more like a $700 phone then the Pixel 4. Google is trying to go mid-range with the Pixel 4a but aside from the camera, every other competitor has them beat in that price range for less.

imho Google needs to step and make a damn good phone that looks amazing and last two days. And then sell it for $600.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Pixel phones should be cheaper, so much of what makes Google stuff so interesting is the software behind it. Pixel 2 has one camera, but does amazing things with it.

They should aim for the mod range stuff. The phone for everyone.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the 4a. I absolutely abhor large phones (especially since I have tiny hands), and the Pixel seems like the only Android line right now that has a small (at least to 2020 standards) screen and also a great camera.

I wish we had an Android phone in 2020 that was as small as the OG Moto X or the One Plus X, but we don't. I'll take what I can get.
S10e is still a really solid smaller sized phone (basically the same size as the iPhone X, XS, 11 pro). But yeah, there's not much smaller than that.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I mean the product is good. The Pixel 4 is personally my favorite phone of all time.
I dunno man. I ditched my OnePlus 7 for this Pixel 4 XL I'm typing on and the only reason I got this phone was for the astrophotography and for me it's worth it, but everything else about the phone is either okay or just average. Nothing premium feeling.

I do like the orange color on it and the matte glass finish feeling. And the fact that with radar I can reach for the phone and get the notification screen to turn on without touching it. Besides that, really no other redeeming qualities

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Pixel phones should be cheaper, so much of what makes Google stuff so interesting is the software behind it. Pixel 2 has one camera, but does amazing things with it.

They should aim for the mod range stuff. The phone for everyone.

The software pieces should be part of Google Play Services and the Pixel should be abandoned to improve the ecosystem. Android would be a much better OS for it and Google would get the things that it actually designed Android for. The Pixel line would stop being a money pit that will never make it's money back.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Even before the Pixel 4 came out, people were quick to call out that the Pixel 4 doesn't support 4k 60fps video. It's competitors do and while that, the phone was $100 more than the iPhone 11 (which does 4k 60fps video) and Google than claimed that the majority of people didn't use 4K 60fps.
Pixel 4 was more expensive, had a poor battery and lacked a lot, as compared to much better Android alternatives and the iPhone 11.

The Google philosophy has always seemed to be double-downing on a few feature sets while completely dropping the ball on other user-critical features (or half-heartedly implementing them). You can see it in all of the products they've killed or are on the verge of dying.

Their Pixels are no stranger to that.

Having said that, their phones have generally been a way to sell Google services to the end user. The Pixel 4's abysmal sales mean that this strategy is failing.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys it's clear what he's saying

Pixel, for bombed Camera. guru bailed Google hardware! bosses? pissed...
5dc3c779480fef4314821daedd1e55c0.jpg

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Pixel 4 to me seemed like a great phone that had two big negatives... bad battery life and too expensive. They could easily fix this with the 5 but we'll see. I feel like at this point last year we had a good idea about the 4... are there even any 5 rumors at this point?
Bad battery life, low maximum brightness, small entry level storage space, no more free original quality photo upload, no 4K60fps video, and no ultrawide camera

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All I remember hearing about the phone is how terrible the battery life was, it also looked pretty uninspiring. Great camera tho.

Android is for nerds that question why phones even have cameras - especially front-facing ones, or people that cannot afford high-end phones.

Imagine posting something this stupid, most obvious bait I've seen this year.

Proxy-Pie

Apr 3, 2018
I really like my Pixel 2XL. I was hoping its successors would be even better, but I guess not. I would've preferred not switching back to iPhone, but that's probably what I'll be doing when it's time to switch...

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know a single person who bought a second pixel after their first one. I had one, my brother had one, several of my coworkers had them. Everyone either jumped ship to samsung or apple for their next phone or are planning to jump ship with their next phone. I'm not surprised that their sales shrink year after year.

Bruh......what? I know exactly one android user who hates front facing cameras, but I know a ton of android users. This is a horribly bad take.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy Apple products for ethical reasons.
That's admirable.

Imagine posting something this stupid, most obvious bait I've seen this year.
I did expand on it in a further post, as reading it back is more inflammatory than I intended.
But still, no-one wanted a high-end phone from Google. It didn't appeal to the Android crowd that wanted another Nexus, and having a nice camera was not going to pull many customers away from Apple.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
One and only problem I've had with my Pixel 3 is the battery life kinda sucks, and went took an even bigger dive after some security update that got rolled out last spring (I know I'm not the only one).

That's the only gripe I have with the phone, but it's a massive one. I likely will not be getting another Pixel once this one is paid off in November.

Oct 25, 2017
None of that contradicts what I said. I never said that Android phones don't have good cameras.
But I have seen many discussions online with people asking questions like why Samsung and others are putting a high resolution selfie camera on their phones. Why they have to pay for that expensive ultra-wide lens that's being used on it when they would rather have a phone without one etc.
It's people that want to jailbreak and tinker with every setting under the hood, questioning why anyone would buy into a locked ecosystem where you have to buy apps instead of compile them from source.
And the other segment of the Android market is largely made up of people buying cheap phones. Not bad phones, but not in the market for something expensive.

The majority of the audience that buys high-end iPhones don't even pay attention to what companies like Google are doing, and are unlikely to switch.
Chasing after them is not the right approach.

And nothing in your post and the one after it says anything about people just liking Android as a software. Obnoxious

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The 4XL is pretty great, and I do appreciate the better feature updates in comparison to other Android phones I've had, but I'm not surprised the line bombed. Seemed like there were too many low hanging fruit for folks to pick at, especially with the base 4,.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's admirable.

I did expand on it in a further post, as reading it back is more inflammatory than I intended.
But still, no-one wanted a high-end phone from Google. It didn't appeal to the Android crowd that wanted another Nexus, and having a nice camera was not going to pull many customers away from Apple.

Yeah, by and large people don't switch mobile OS's, and going after people who care about mobile cameras to get them to switch was a bad idea. Really I don't know why the pixel line exists. The nexus system was great, and I'd love to see what a modern day one would look like.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Its baffling to see how much Google struggles with hardware and marketing their own products. You'd think they could leverage all that data to avoid these types of disasters.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
I liked the Nexus line. They should have never discontinued it. Introducing the pixel when the market was already crowded was a mistake.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Being on T-Mobile's old ass JUMP! program, I was in the mood to try a Pixel and opted for the Pixel 4. It lasted a month, and I swapped it for a One Plus 7T. I loved the back of the phone, I dug the frosted glass, and the matted aluminum rails, it felt great in the hand. But, the screen was so damn dim. Extremely noticeable in how dark everything just looked. Battery life was atrocious, I'm talking barely over 3 hrs of screen on time. The camera really to me, didn't seem all that more impressive over my 6T at the time (granted, I'm not a camera expert by any means, I just point and shoot).

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Upgraded from a Pixel 1 to a Pixel 4, and the difference is huge for me, so I'm pretty happy. Except for the dumb features like squeezing the phone to bring up Google, and swiping in midair to change music, which means you can't move when Spotify is on or you risk skipping tracks (yes I know you can turn it off).

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The pixel star has definitely faded for me. My pixel 1 was great, but 2, 3 and 4 didn't seem as great.

I picked up a 3a at Black Friday last year and it is pretty great as well. The battery life is fantastic and the camera does well too. For $300, this is a great value, and focuses on the two things that I care about in a phone.

The champ of boot loop maybe.
Yup, mine bootlooped.

Got a full refund after 2 years of usage and purchased a Oneplus 5 at the time so it was pretty awesome lol - 6P is still an amazing phone though

Oct 28, 2017
The phones and software are intriguing but every time the battery life seems awful and the screens seem dim. For the price I'd expect close to Samsung and Apple.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only things I enjoy on my 2XL over my old 6P is the aspect ratio, and the camera. I miss my 6P :(

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Google is always 90% of the way there with their phones, but can't get it into the endzone. I've owned almost exclusively Nexus and Pixel devices since 2013 and I've never quite felt like I've owned the best device on the market. I've never been displeased with them (outside of a bevy of terrible build quality/quality control issues), but I've never felt like I was holding a cream of the crop product. This was fine in the Nexus days as that was the understanding going in, but as they've transitioned into the era of the Pixel phone, they've never quite made it all work.

I really enjoy my Pixel 2, but I'm not in any hurry to upgrade to anything new they've put out because the offerings just haven't been exciting design wise or feature wise.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
The Pixel 4a will be the nearest thing just as the 3a was the darling of last year.
They should just make the Xa line the mainline phone. Samsung and Apple already have the high end market. Google is not bringing enough innovation to the game.

Yes the camera is good, but it's getting increasingly less impressive with each iteration. 799 for 64gb of storage and a 2800mAh battery? No thanks.