• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was willing to upgrade to the Pixel 4 XL coming from the 3XL until I saw the final product. I'm thinking about trying out the Surface Duo this year but I was hesitant to skip out on the Pixel 5 line because of love the phone cameras. Low-key worried. I used the Pixel line as a way to start photography as a hobby but maybe it's time to just move on and start with a real camera.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A reason why Google Pixel phones aren't good, expensive and everything else is horrible except the Camera.

What's the point of a nice camera with a horrible battery on your phone.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly though, ignoring the title, how does Google keep messing things up?

Google's new product hit rate for the last few years is dismal, and it's hard to look at anything to blame for that but their management.

Sundar has to go - but the financials look healthy in the short term so he won't, despite the fact the culture he has underneath him is a mess.

The Pixel line will almost certainly be killed entirely in the next few years.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
They need to return to the Nexus line.

Google hardware is best when they're selling enthusiast hardware, not trying to make flagship hardware (which isn't even flagship because they allow other mfgrs to produce better devices with better hardware for cheaper).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do Google want to compete?

I kinda feel they did what they wanted to do, push smartphones and Android, now just coasting, they haven't put out a great phone in years or you could say one that doesn't have the backing of Google to push the envelope across the board, always a caveat.

Android still dominates anyway but Apple have certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons with the SE2. Seems like they are both just it's all good.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Pixel 4 bombed. Camera guru bailed. Google hardware bosses pissed.
i531g65dbsh21.png

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who would have thought that the first AI to become self aware would be a bot on a gaming forum?

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Bring back the Nexus.
The Nexus did amazingly well back in the day but there's so much competition from China, Korea and other manufacturers in the mid-range. And there's the Android One line of phones already?

2 million units is very sad considering I see them at Best Buy, Target and phone stores. Maybe don't charge $800 for a high end phone with shitty battery life and looks like a $300 phone?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring; Accumulated Infractions
Android is for nerds that question why phones even have cameras - especially front-facing ones, or people that cannot afford high-end phones.
It shouldn't be surprising that this approach failed to grow the audience.

EDIT: I elaborated on this here. The post is more inflammatory than I intended it to be.
But still, no-one wanted a high-end phone from Google. It didn't appeal to the Android crowd that wanted another Nexus, and having a nice camera was not going to pull many customers away from Apple.

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Even before the Pixel 4 came out, people were quick to call out that the Pixel 4 doesn't support 4k 60fps video. It's competitors do and while that, the phone was $100 more than the iPhone 11 (which does 4k 60fps video) and Google than claimed that the majority of people didn't use 4K 60fps.
Pixel 4 was more expensive, had a poor battery and lacked a lot, as compared to much better Android alternatives and the iPhone 11.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Not surprised that he left. I think the Pixel is a decent phone but lacks in key areas that other phones have done better in (battery life, video, etc).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Do they have a big retail presence? Whenever I go anywhere that sells phones you are bombarded with Apple and Samsung but I can't say I've ever seen much by way of Google, this seems to be the case for a lot of their stuff. A lot of the consumer electronics (tablets, back when they made them, streaming devices, home speakers) seem to take a backseat at retail.

cjkeats

Oct 27, 2017
S. John's, NL Canada
It was too expensive for what it was and why they went with a telephoto over wide angle is just baffling. For myself as a consumer it still had too little RAM, apps constantly closing in the background was my biggest annoyance with my Pixel 3.

I sell phones for a living and form my store the pixel name just doesn't have the brand recognition for the price point it was on. The A series is better priced, but average people still lean to the Samsung's just from the name, and we sold so few 3 and 3a's we didn't even get the 4.

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, I'm not surprised. The subset of Android users who prefer stock Android and is willing to spend a premium for it is negligible and when you factor in how overpriced it was (and still is from Google's official store) next to an ocean of competition from other Android phone OEMs, who was going to flock for this thing in droves? For the average consumer who wants Android, there's a wealth of more competitive and reasonably priced options to go with.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
They need 3 devices with 3 starting price points:

$400, $700 and $1000

Make sure they all have a similar design focus and direction behind them. You can add a bigger screen and an extra camera to the $1000 one, and maybe a bit bigger of a battery. Have the $700 be the best of both worlds. $400 could have a similar screen and SoC, but have a sturdy, polymer body.

Also, make it state of the art for when the phone comes out. The thing is, Samsung releases their new phones with the latest Snapdragon SoC around March/April, but it takes Google until Oct/Nov for them to pick up on this kind of power. Not only that, Google is usually behind other Android providers in terms of RAM offered, storage options and colors. Outside of a couple more features from one Pixel to the next and software updates being supported, they do nothing to truly show if and why you should upgrade to their new phones.

On top of this, they basically don't market their fucking hardware division much at all. The most I see Pixel or anything of the sort are with Verizon commercials.

The Pixel line reminds me of the several iterations and simultaneous messaging apps that Google creates. They may do something, but their is a feel of confusion and a lack of marketing and explanation basically harms them in the end. Google bought HTC, a hardware company, and has barely, if at all, put them to use. At this point, I kind of hope Google skips the Pixel 5 and does something entirely new to go against Samsung or something in Spring 2021.

So, Google, this is what could really help you:

1. Three devices with 3 different starting price points that allow many more people to jump to your products.
2. Actually market your fucking phone and stop making phone carrier (like Verizon) timed exclusive deals.
3. Release your devices earlier in the year, especially if they are meant to go up against something like the Galaxy phones and OnePlus devices. Being late to the party basically makes people who already have a Galaxy or OnePlus device go, "Why should I get basically the same phone again 6 months after I bought this one?"
4. Along with the products, please provide a much wider array of storage limits and colors. If need be, provide more RAM for the more expensive phones, but give these phones more RAM (8GB for the $400, 12GB for $700 and 16GB for $1000, something like that).
5. Please, for the love of fuck, keep front facing speakers.

End rant.

PS - I love my Pixel 3.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
I ended up getting an S10 over a Pixel 4 when choosing to replace my HTC One M9. For expensive as the Pixel 4 is, it didn't even come with removable storage, headphone jack, or even a wide-angle camera. The AMOLED screen on the S10 is also amazing.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I read this thread title as a song parody to Video Killed The Radio Star

"It's in my mind. It's in my car. That Pixel 4 has gone too far (TOO FAR)"

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I own a pixel 3 (bought recently for $400) and am underwhelmed. The battery life is terrible and the screen is borderline unusable outside.

I just wish I could get stock Android on better hardware.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't even know the Pixel 4 was out and I've been watching a shit ton of TV lately. Knew it was coming but was not interested since I keep phones for at least 2 gens. Really shit job of marketing. Sucks about the camera guy.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Pixels been meh since Pixel 1, save for the cameras. After the Pixel 5...I dunno if Google wants in the smartphone game anymore

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Android is for nerds that question why phones even have cameras - especially front-facing ones, or people that cannot afford high-end phones.
It shouldn't be surprising that this approach failed to grow the audience.

This post is a complete joke, the Android ecosystem caters to all types of people. There are tons of casual consumers who buy Samsung and Huawei phones. The iPhone 11 pro has the best camera out right now no question, but that doesn't discount the other companies who make great cameras. Google and Huawei are neck to neck with apple when it comes to photos, and the Pixel 3 has an amazing selfie camera.

On topic it sucks to hear this, but I am not surprised, google wants to go for top tier but don't want to invest in their hardware. I don't understand how the hell they think that a 64gb flagship is in any way acceptable. Their standard line has a godawful battery, and they didn't get a wide angle lens. I have a Pixel 3XL and love that phone, has inspired me to become a better photographer. I hope that the Pixel 5 is better than last years model otherwise I'll go back to iPhones. I have really enjoyed Android since I moved over, but to be honest a phone is a phone and there isn't that much difference between the operating systems.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I own a pixel 3 (bought recently for $400) and am underwhelmed. The battery life is terrible and the screen is borderline unusable outside.

I just wish I could get stock Android on better hardware.

Kind of surprising. I've had it since day 1 and I've enjoyed this phone way more than a PIxel 1. The hardware hasn't slowed down and I've felt the battery life got better from day 1.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Pixel 1 and loved it.
My wife bought a Pixel 2 and loved it.
I bought a Pixel 3 and was disappointed by it.
Pixel 4 came out and now we're both rocking iPhones.

Google fucked up.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Pixel 4 to me seemed like a great phone that had two big negatives... bad battery life and too expensive. They could easily fix this with the 5 but we'll see. I feel like at this point last year we had a good idea about the 4... are there even any 5 rumors at this point?

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm laughing at all these title posts and I don't even know what it originally was lmao, what was it?

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They sold a $500 phone prices at $900. They aren't serious about making phones and don't listen to their customers. They deserve the poor sales.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love my Pixel 4 XL but I'm not surprised it bombed. EVERYONE who cared knew that what they needed to do was more cameras, more battery, less bezel and they went with either ignoring or half-doing all of those. Fact of the matter is Apple have almost caught up in terms of photo quality (not quite IMO as someone who has an 11 Pro for work and has done LOTS of comparing), and are well ahead in video as well as miles better in terms of battery, so they're basically eating Google's lunch right now. Pixel 5 has to really be something special or they're totally screwed.