• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
That's also because as cars get less mechanical and more computer controlled, the amount of maintenance and repair that an individual owner can realistically do has gone way down.

They're not really getting less mechanical, its just that computers are not controlling the mechanical parts. They're still servicable by non-mechanics, but its definitely not as easy, and most people can't be bothered to learn.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I wish I lived somewhere where mass transit was an option. Sure I could uber/lyft around town, but I frequently drive an hour to visit family/friends so that wouldn't really be viable.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
No idea where I fit in on this. I'm over 30, but have never gotten the chance to learn how to drive. But my time is not my own, so life has just been carpool to work and back, with occasional required friend-related meet up maybe every 3ish months.

On the one hand, I would so love to drive, because I've yet to really have freedom of transport in life. On the other, I can't afford a car, nor are they safe statistically.

Rock and a hard place, I guess.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
At my school, drivers-ed was an optional class.

At my school we didnt get shit. We hired private tutors, and there were only 2 in town. My teacher told me to drive up to a mountain town through a narrow road designed by a drunk donkey back in the 18th century, with mountain on one side and cliffs on the other, to a town that time forgot. Sometimes it's high enough you can see the sea. Google maps stops working because it hasn't mapped that part yet. I was doing 60 mph up the mountains like a pro during college.

Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see semi-competent public transportation or some sort of highway patrol until I moved to south Florida.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the US metro areas with decent public transport, let me see:

NYC Metro is the top--Multiple Commuter rail, subway, and buses
DC is next
Chicago is up there
SF/Bay Area
Boston
Philly

That's it really.

Am I wrong? Anywhere I'm missing where you can be basically carless? Not many options yet. LA is developing a subway system, but I heard LA has too much sprawl, similar to Houston.

This sounds about right in terms of places you could live without a car. Unfortunately, the cost of living close to public transit in all of these cities probably outweighs car costs in the first place..

This country is so absurdly expensive compared to the previous generations.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Which is funny when you think about it as Ford is going the opposite way, at least in the US (phasing out sedans in favor of trucks and SUVs). I mean I know the F-150 is a huge seller for them, but still.

Ford killed their Sedan line because they fucked up the Focus/Fiesta transmissions so bad that dealers can't give them away. The cars are unsafe to drive because their transmissions are fucking awful.

That's why their sales on Sedans tanked, people realized the cars were unsafe pieces of shit.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds about right in terms of places you could live without a car. Unfortunately, the cost of living close to public transit in all of these cities probably outweighs car costs in the first place..

This country is so absurdly expensive compared to the previous generations.

Cars are expensive in the city, though, too. There's car payments and gas and insurance and upkeep, obviously, but also parking and tolls and so on. Like, a parking pass for my work is hundreds of dollars a year. I see decent parking spaces for rent online for $100+ a month.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Which is funny when you think about it as Ford is going the opposite way, at least in the US (phasing out sedans in favor of trucks and SUVs). I mean I know the F-150 is a huge seller for them, but still.

Thank Christ people are preferring smaller cars. Whenever i see a dude with a massive truck and a crew cab i always think that better be work and the bed isn't just for the camping chairs he hauls around twice a year. Otherwise a truck is just a waste of gas, space, utility and quite frankly not worth it. It's just for show. Hey know whats very practical and popular in Europe? (not directed at you). Hatchbacks. Not only do they transport five people, easy to drive in city, easy to park and can be either practical (standard Golf) or fun (GTI for example). You get ALL that and if you need to, you can put down the back seats and get as much storage as an suv

Oct 25, 2017
Thank Christ people are preferring smaller cars. Whenever i see a dude with a massive truck and a crew cab i always think that better be work and the bed isn't just for the camping chairs he hauls around twice a year. Otherwise a truck is just a waste of gas, space, utility and quite frankly not worth it. It's just for show. Hey know whats very practical and popular in Europe? (not directed at you). Hatchbacks. Not only do they transport five people, easy to drive in city, easy to park and can be either practical (standard Golf) or fun (GTI for example). You get ALL that and if you need to, you can put down the back seats and get as much storage as an suv
Hatchbacks are awesome

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Hatchbacks are awesome
Need more of them in North America, i own a golf and i love it but i wish i had more options. My wife always thought they were weird...until the week of our wedding when i put down the seats and we had to haul all the wedding favors to the hall. And then she realized, oh shit that's damn useful.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Driving around Boston and surrounding towns, I cringe whenever I see people maneuvering/parking trucks and SUVs. I drive a Camry and even that car feels too big for spaces in Boston. I've actually been lately thinking about putting my car out to pasture and getting a smaller car like a Golf.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just sounds like younger adults are content with doing less things overall. Car gave me massive freedom despite living in NYC. I don't drive to work, so I mostly use it in the evening and weekends. I like to get away from the city after the work week, often drive deep in Long Island and upstate to go hiking. These aren't realistic things to just Uber/Lyft to whenever.
Things cost money, and when you're working longer hours with less pay and benefits, the time you do have needs to be spent decompressing/doing less. 'Doing things' opens you up to calamities that you might not be able to withstand/afford.

And entertainment/distractions are more varied and numerous than ever.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
That's weird I employs around 60 teens and they all want or own cars. Most of them own, I think around 10 use Uber's and none of them actually like using Uber.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the US metro areas with decent public transport, let me see:

NYC Metro is the top--Multiple Commuter rail, subway, and buses
DC is next
Chicago is up there
SF/Bay Area
Boston
Philly

That's it really.

Am I wrong? Anywhere I'm missing where you can be basically carless? Not many options yet. LA is developing a subway system, but I heard LA has too much sprawl, similar to Houston.

Seattle. I moved here 3+ years ago, haven't felt a need to buy a car at all. Then again, I can afford to live near downtown.

The only time I ever need a car is for cargo space (e.g. groceries) and occasional trips out of the downtown core. For that, I have a ReachNow membership which I use a few times a month on average.

That being said, if I had bought a place outside of King County, I'm pretty sure I would have bought a car by now. But that went into my planning when I was buying. I figured the increase in my mortgage would be offset by my lack of a car payment/gas/insurance/etc, and it definitely is.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I can't imagine this thought process in the U.S., outside of maybe New York or other cities with useful public transit.
In other countries and cities I wouldn't find it as surprising. I have now lived in Osaka for over 10 years, and never driven a car once during that entire time.
We may buy one in the next few years, which will mean I need to get a JP drivers license, but it will really be more of a luxury than a convenience.

For me, getting a car was one of the best things ever in HS and I absolutely was in a hurry to get one.
I actually bought my first car when I was 15 (1986 Toyota MR2 w/ a cracked block and rust spots) and spent 6 months working on it and getting it running
and doing minor body work.
I was into cars more than most people (hence the username), but the real advantage was the amount of freedom it opened up once I was 16.
I guess that is kind of a moot point with services like Uber/Lyft out there now.

Nov 23, 2017
I drive one of the vans for work. For being on a travel team, very few even have a drivers license and the other half don't want to drive a big 15 passanger van. We only have 4 drivers, plus the two managers. Being a driver is a nice boost to my paycheck, but its not enough to get others to sign up.

Only one of about a dozen friends has actually passed his driver's test. A few have passed the permit test but refuse to practice actual on the road driving.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I only own and drive a car is because I have to. With these crazy insurance rates in Michigan, I become more and more inclined to move to a big city where I could probably just walk/bike to work and not have to take care of this metal baby.

I'm sure most people around my age only have a car is because of the same reasons.

Last edited:

Mii

Oct 25, 2017
30 year old Millennial here. Got my license at 16 and drove for the two years before college.

I moved to Boston and didn't drive for college. Then I needed to get a car for my first full time job. I changed a job two years later and didn't need a car anymore - I returned my car at the end of the lease.

I now haven't had a car for 7 years. Uber came about at the same time I ditched driving. I also moved to NYC 5 years ago.

I intend to not own another vehicle until it's an autonomous Porsche. I never want to drive again.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Ford killed their Sedan line because they fucked up the Focus/Fiesta transmissions so bad that dealers can't give them away. The cars are unsafe to drive because their transmissions are fucking awful.

That's why their sales on Sedans tanked, people realized the cars were unsafe pieces of shit.

Yeah I have a Fusion and I think almost every year I've had it there has been a recall for some part at least once a year. I really love the car but I'm really tired of getting recall notices in the mail.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
Srry i forgot to say it was for driving school. But that really crushed my confidence for driving
Ohhhhh.
Yeah I deff understand.
You shouldn't let that stop you from learning.
It's probably a useful skill to have and people get into close calls all the time.
Just be happy that it was just a close call, those close call experiences are what I would imagine make someone a better driver

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I have had a drivers license for now almost 12 years but I don't own a car and don't really see myself as in need of one yet still.

The public transportation system suits me fine. In Sweden though, have heard that this is not as expansive in the US.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Srry i forgot to say it was for driving school. But that really crushed my confidence for driving
Ah yes, I remember going on the highway for my first and only time when learning to drive. I've not taken another driving lesson since. And this was NYC, the Bronx, Sunday morning. I can't even imagine doing it during rush hour in the middle of Manhattan.

The one thing I loved about driving was the feeling of "Woah, all of a sudden I'm a couple miles away!" but I'm fine with the train. I'm from Manhattan after all, driving just isn't something I will need to do the vast majority of the time.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Spending 10's of thousands of dollars to drive something off the lot, instantly lose value and be stuck in traffic all the time. Let alone gas and maintenance?

Yeah driving fucking sucks and its a fucking crime that so many american cities deliberately did away with public transportation to force people to the car industry. They can all get fucked.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Driving around Boston and surrounding towns, I cringe whenever I see people maneuvering/parking trucks and SUVs. I drive a Camry and even that car feels too big for spaces in Boston. I've actually been lately thinking about putting my car out to pasture and getting a smaller car like a Golf.
Love my golf, haven't had any problems with it in 4 years. But reliability wise anything is technically a step down from a Toyota. I will say no sedan has the seat down storage of a hatchback, makes those Ikea trips easier. Also spunky for something so small, 170 hp

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Need a car where I live, I could definitely see the benefits where you had amazing transit options

Also cars feel like a necessity if you have a family/pets etc.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that much since i only work 4 10 in stead of 5 8

EDIT: i forgot to mention theres people who get to get me sometimes so its not as costly provided i pay for gas

Gotcha, it works for you and kudos, I'm in the process of fixing up my car and selling it. Car ownership is a massive waste of money when you can simply rent one when you need one AND they simply depreciate in value.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
When ride sharing tanks/raises prices to stay afloat that is going to be a rude awakening for a lot of people.
This. It's great to use more mass transit options, but any way you cut it, travel is expensive. I think people are starting to realize that more and more each generation. For cars, gas prices going up, cars getting more expensive to just own, let alone maintain. For public transit, you need an entire infrastructure, maintenance and around the clock up time and support. Then the rideshare, it's cheap now, but I think a lot of that money coming in doesnt really pay enough to make much of minimum wage plus wear and tear on the vehicle.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
My finances improved severely when I got rid of the car my dad sold me.

Never enjoyed a single minute on the road and have never felt the need of having another car again. Such a moneysink, I wouldn't be able to live on my own otherwise.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Hmm seems like so many other things

zgYqLbW.jpg

Lol to true

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm 23, no license. Isn't worth it when Uber can take my anywhere.

Is that really true though? I am a bit out of touch as I only use UBER and such when I am on business trips to the U.S. now,
but I almost feel like this is just another example of people becoming more insular in general. Maybe just me over-thinking things.
I don't want to make any assumptions, but your definition of anywhere probably means anywhere inside your city and maybe a neighboring city?

Once I had a car and a part-time job to pay for gas/insurance as a 16 yr old, it opened up so much.
I regularly traveled to events outside of my home state with friends (usually music and car events), and also traveled all around my state checking out college campuses and such when I was still choosing schools.

Even later in university, having a car just opened up so much for me that it's kind of interesting thinking back on it now.
One of the first real dates I had with my wife was thanks to the fact that I had wheels and volunteered to drive her down to Disney World to meet up with some other international students. The rest is history!

Sure, we probably could have taken a Greyhound for cheaper! But it's not the same!

I can see moving away from driving as you get older and more settled, especially if you are able to live in a place with decent public transit, but
having a car was more than just a means of transportation for me as a HS/college kid in Florida.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Got my license when I was 16 and have bought a handful of new cars. Paid cash for my last one since I saved up enough because I was driving a 2002 mustang. I'll always love driving, it's my time for relaxing to and from work.

(live in Texas so u need a car) and I'm almost 40