• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I have another driving test today and I know I can drive, so does my instructor, but but I also have a string of fucking up in the weirdest ways.

Attempt 1) Too nervous didn't take test

Attempt 2) Failed and rightfully so

Attempt 3) It snowed and test was cancelled

Attempt 4) Went into the wrong lane of a roundabout (traffic circle for Americans)

Attempt 5) Perfect score apart from I failed on the way back from the test centre, I was going to break about half a second before my examiner did but can't prove that I saw the car

Attempt 6) Speedometer broke 10 minutes before test began

Today is attempt 7 and I can't just help thinking maybe I just shouldn't be driving. I'm in my mid 30s and only need a car because I can't apply for the jobs I want without one.

Anyone else hate driving tests?

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Sometimes elements of the test are just luck (weather, other drivers, etc), but the main thing is just to try not to be nervous. I hated both learning and the tests but got through on my second attempt despite my second attempt being way sloppier than my first, which was failed on one big thing (failing to check my mirrors coming out of a roundabout (even though it was a single-lane roundabout so it was impossible anybody was coming up behind on my left-rear side)... my second test was sloppier, but it was all minor stuff. I was convinced I'd failed because I felt I'd driven in a messy way, but I passed with just a couple of minor errors.

It'll be really liberating once you finally nail it, so keep plugging away...

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really strange to hear how tough UK(I assume?) driving tests appear to be. In America, as long as you have a heartbeat and can get the car back to the test center one piece, you pass.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I failed this time, for SIGNALING TOO LONG. 🤨
Sounds like you have some terrible luck, you'll get there I'm sure.

I passed my car test (first time) in the 90's, and from what I can remember, it was fairly easy, I did my full bike license test in 2006, and passed first time, but I did notice that the test was harder, so I can only imagine it's significantly harder nowadays.

FWIW, I would be in favour of 5 yearly retests......probably not something the OP wants to hear!

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Really strange to hear how tough UK(I assume?) driving tests appear to be. In America, as long as you have a heartbeat and can get the car back to the test center one piece, you pass.
UK tests got harder about 9 years ago. They've always been tough (like the OP, I didn't take mine until I was nearly 30 because I was put off by their reputation, although I passed first time) but they used to just be confined to the core skills plus one or two randomly-chosen 'difficult' manoeuvres Those would be things like parallel parking, emergency stopping etc.

About 9 years ago they were updated to include motorway driving and navigation - I assume because the government doesn't want people to become wholly reliant on satellite navigation. So nowadays you might be told your test involves driving to a destination the examiner has chosen, and you'll need to figure out how to get there yourself whilst doing all the other stuff as well.

OP: if it helps, I was 28 or 29 when I passed, and I was like you in that I only learned to drive because of work. I love driving today, though, and I can't imagine why I didn't do it sooner. It gives you so much more freedom on choosing a place to live, for one thing; I live in the countryside between Manchester and Leeds, and I would be absolutely hosed without a car. My nearest train station is nearly an hour's walk away.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Don't this things usually automatically turn off?

They should, my driving instructor's car is slightly dodgy when it comes to the indicators and you need to practically turn the wheel almost 180 degrees around for them to stop. Therefore I have to remember to turn them off manually. It's annoying because I was on a roundabout so they should have turned off. I was so focused on the road ahead I didn't hear the ticking.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's worth noting for the American audience that parking in the UK (and most of Europe) is a lot harder than it is in a lot of the US. Your parking spaces - at least in dedicated lots - are at least an extra third wider than ours, and for the most part you don't have a lot of roundabouts or narrow roads that were originally designed for horses and carts.

Of course, cars on average are quite a bit smaller over here. I find it funny going to the States and seeing the Mazda CX-5 (which I drive) described as a compact SUV. Over here it's the biggest car Mazda sells.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I passed my test 16 years ago (wow) and that was even though it was an unusually cold day and the windscreen was fogging up and the examiner had to show me how to put the blower on to clear it.

It feels like pure luck as to the conditions and the mood of your examiner.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Australia has really strict tests too. Took me three goes to pass it, most people need three.

I had to do a practical test when I arrived in Cali to get my license. It was a joke compared to what I had been through to get my license back home initially.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Here in Florida you don't even need to know how to drive to past the test. Just memorize some questions and manage to drive around the block. What a joke

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
No testing your ability to read a licence plate at a certain distance? It's the one reason I cannot get a driving licence in Europe.
Isn't that something that glasses can fix?
OP, I feel you. Just assume the examinator is a moron and exaggerate every head movement you make and drive slower than usual, you should be fine.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Here in South Europe it's somewhat hard because you have to parallel park with 2 maneuvers and 1 big mistake means you failed the test.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone I know was prescribed beta blockers so they could get through their test.
OP, if you know you can drive and your instructor knows you can drive it sounds like it's nerves getting the best of you. Try thinking of the test as just another lesson with a different instructor. How many hours of lessons have you had? Can you use someone else's car to get extra practice in?

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk man, I've done exams for driving cars, riding different classes of motorcycles, operating different classes of marine vehicles and never failed any. Usually got perfect scores tbh.

Other than when the exams got cancelled, because obviously you can't control those, maybe just keep practicing until you're better and more confident before reapplying? Stacking up failed exams isn't going to help you, only diligent practice and study of road rules and defensive driving will.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk man, I've done exams for driving cars, riding different classes of motorcycles, operating different classes of marine vehicles and never failed any. Usually got perfect scores tbh.

Other than when the exams got cancelled, because obviously you can't control those, maybe just keep practicing until you're better and more confident before reapplying? Stacking up failed exams isn't going to help you, only diligent practice and study of road rules and defensive driving will.

All hail vehicle man

Nov 8, 2017
Is that just a vision test, or is there a practical reason you'd need to be able to read someone's plate?
As I understand it, the examiner will ask you to read a licence plate from a certain distance and being unable to do so is an instant fail. So yeah it seems to be just a vision test.

Isn't that something that glasses can fix?
Maybe get glasses if you don't already as you can take the test with them (at least in the UK).
I have glasses already, but I have multiple conditions with my eyes since birth and not all of them can be solved by glasses or any other means.

I'm also currently doing VR vision therapy, but even if that helps, it still can't improve my vision enough to read a plate at the required distance.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I will say, though, that despite having quite strict tests, the UK has a lot of shit drivers. Seems like half the people on the road these days think indicators are optional.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
It's a wee while back now but I remember enjoying learning to drive so much that I took the test 5 times. For some things in life, once is never enough.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I stalled pulling out of the test centre when I took mine lol, I was sure I'd failed but somehow still got the pass with 7 minors (UK)

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I stalled pulling out of the test centre when I took mine lol, I was sure I'd failed but somehow still got the pass with 7 minors (UK)
Stalling is probably permitted because every manual car has a different biting point. I'll still stall any new car I sit in once or twice before I get a feel for where that sweet spot is - it's easily done.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
While I sympathise with you OP, I've seen enough drivers that could've benefitted from taking their driving test a few more times.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
LOL what? I'm doing 20 down a residential street and a child exists. Are we somehow misreading that I ran over the kid?
If you're doing 20 when a child is in the road (not near it), you're driving dangerously. It's definitely stupid that a parent let their kid play in leaves on the road, but the onus is always on the driver to react to ridiculous situations in lessons and tests.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Everyday I drive Into the city I'm truly amazed at how some of the fellow commuters have passed their test. People run lights, quickly lane switch with no indication, undertake and drive over curbs just to get to their location a few seconds faster.

I passed on my second attempt but honestly, I got really lucky. A guy pulled out on me and I slammed the breaks which the examiner said he counted as my emergency stop, and I'm pretty sure I fucked up on a roundabout shortly after but I got the pass.

Keep going, eventually you'll get there I promise.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, on my second attempt I didn't even drive 5 minutes... Thankfully I passed on my third attempt, but the memory of the 1st two fails have me questioning my ability to drive from time to time and sometimes get anxious.

Aprikurt

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 29, 2017
I passed my third attempt. As with most learning experiences, the examiner not being a huge dickbag helps. My examiner the first time was rude, belligerent and unhelpful.

You'll get it done eventually, you just have to stop caring.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's any consolation, driving is a lot easier when you haven't got someone criticising your every move and taking note of it to use of evidence of your failure later on

And that's why I'm getting divorced! Amirite lads?

Last edited:

Slv

Oct 26, 2017
Latvia
It ain't so bad, I am generally lazy and disinterested but even I managed to do a Full motorcycle(A) license and a towing up to 7 tons (BE) total license this summer. I have a license since 2007.