• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Nine people were injured — one seriously — in Tokyo's Shibuya Ward in the early hours of Tuesday when a man rammed his car into pedestrians on a well-known shopping street in what he claimed was an act of terrorism, authorities said.

Police arrested Kazuhiro Kusakabe, 21, who was driving a rental car with Osaka license plates, on suspicion of attempted murder. A 19-year-old university student remains unconscious after being hit by the minicar shortly after midnight on Takeshita Street in the Harajuku district, which is normally packed with young shoppers and foreign tourists during daylight hours.

Investigative sources quoted the man as saying he had perpetrated an act of terrorism "in retaliation for an execution" and "would not make any excuses" for his act. It was not immediately clear whether he was referring to a specific execution or Japan's system of capital punishment.

Kusakabe drove the wrong way on the one-way street and hit eight men aged between 19 and 51 while traveling around 140 meters, the police said. The vehicle stopped after crashing into a building.

Another man was slightly injured after Kusakabe allegedly struck him after getting out of the car, the police said.

Kusakabe fled the scene, but police found him in a nearby park about half an hour later.

Kusakabe told the police he had driven from Osaka and intended to kill the pedestrians he hit. There was a 20-liter tank of kerosene in the rental car, which he said he planned to use to burn the vehicle, the investigative sources said.

The incident took place close to Meiji Shrine shortly after midnight. The street was closed to vehicular traffic at the time as it was expected to be crowded on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

I am really thankful nobody died. But one teen is still unconscious at the hospital, so hopefully he pulls through.

Additionally, if this dude was angry over a recent execution, hopefully it is not related to Aum Shinrikyo. Those people caused Japan enough sadness and terror.

Also, my apologies if this is old. I have been having issues with the search function today.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...off-tokyo-street-injuring-eight/#.XCsDjrrRXYU

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate Commentary
Resisting the urge to post a Tokyo Drift gif. Glad no one was killed.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
My friend does fashion modelling in Harajuku, I hope her and her friends are alright. She hasn't answered yet.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Very strange for Japan. Nice that one was seriously injured.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad nobody was killed and I hope the teen overcomes this.

Fuck the guy who did this.

This is an absolutely horrifying way to start 2019, for anyone.

While Japan doesn't have any prior consistent history for these type of incidents, I do know that it may affect the people that much harder because of that very reason. When that maniac used a van to attack people in my city last year(Toronto), it was so scary because my phone and those of others I know were being constantly bombarded with texts or calls, checking to see if we were okay.

Now imagine, you are one of those related to one of the folks who got injured.

Man...

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad that there were no deaths, hopefully the teen recovers quickly as well.

Who is that Aum Shinrikyo guy you mentioned OP? Does Japan normally disclose details of executions for convicted felons?

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Can we get a do-over on the whole new years thing?
This isn't how it was supposed to go.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Bit from CNN: Tokyo car attack: Driver hits New Year's revelers in city's Harajuku district

The suspect, named as Kazuhiro Kusakabe, initially told police that he had conducted a terrorist act, later saying he had deliberately driven the car down the narrow street to protest his opposition to the death penalty, telling police he "would not make any excuse" for his actions.
CNN affiliate TV Asahi reported, citing police, that a large amount of kerosene was discovered in the suspect's car. Traces of the liquid were also found on his clothes. The suspect reportedly told police that he had acted in "retaliation for the execution of Aum cult members."
The remaining members of the doomsday cult, which was found to be responsible for a 1995 sarin gas attack on a Tokyo subway, were executed in July.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This reads poorly. I get what you mean though. Shocking for Japan, I'm glad no deaths, makes me wonder how.
Japan is a rather low crime nation, especially violent crime like this. That's all I was saying.

edit: so in relation to the Aum cult. This makes more sense.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
How sad. I'm surprised there aren't more injuries considering just how crowded this street usually is

Not trying to be witty. It's the imagery of the huge crowds in Tokyo and the chaos caused by having a car driving through the middle of them. More an acknowledgement of the parallel than "lmao it's like a movie".

Haha sure

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
That's a tiny street, more like an alley, but the most famous in Harajuku. Must have been a nightmare; I'm glad it's not worse.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Bit from CNN: Tokyo car attack: Driver hits New Year's revelers in city's Harajuku district

The suspect, named as Kazuhiro Kusakabe, initially told police that he had conducted a terrorist act, later saying he had deliberately driven the car down the narrow street to protest his opposition to the death penalty, telling police he "would not make any excuse" for his actions.
CNN affiliate TV Asahi reported, citing police, that a large amount of kerosene was discovered in the suspect's car. Traces of the liquid were also found on his clothes. The suspect reportedly told police that he had acted in "retaliation for the execution of Aum cult members."
The remaining members of the doomsday cult, which was found to be responsible for a 1995 sarin gas attack on a Tokyo subway, were executed in July.
By risking the lives of others?

Don't buy it.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Who is that Aum Shinrikyo guy you mentioned OP? Does Japan normally disclose details of executions for convicted felons?

It's a Doomsday Cult, infamous for the Sarin Gas Attacks back in the 90's. 12 dead immediately, 50 injured(but some would unfortunately die later on). It also caused mass vision problems to a lot of folks(500 to 1000), as a side effect.

They just recently executed members of this group that were associated and responsible, in July of 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum_Shinrikyo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Concern for the injured goes without saying.

A car driving wrecklessly through a crowd of people in Tokyo and that also didn't spring to mind? Come on.

You managed to follow up your post with an even worse one. Come on.

Glad it did not get worse, and hope the injured recovers fully.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is an absolutely horrifying way to start 2019, for anyone.

While Japan doesn't have any prior consistent history for these type of incidents, I do know that it may affect the people that much harder because of that very reason. When that maniac used a van to attack people in my city last year(Toronto), it was so scary because my phone and those of others I know were being constantly bombarded with texts or calls, checking to see if we were okay.

Now imagine, you are one of those related to one of the folks who got injured.

Man...
I can only imagine.

I come from a country that is wartorn so at the very least I am used to hearing terrible news from there but in a peaceful country? It hits much harder is what I imagine.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not trying to be witty. It's the imagery of the huge crowds in Tokyo and the chaos caused by having a car driving through the middle of them. More an acknowledgement of the parallel than "lmao it's like a movie".

Its probably better to just apologize for the bad post than try explaining your terrible reasons for making a terrible post... just a thought.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'll admit the wording wasn't good. But it's not like "holy shit it's like something out of..." is unusual or particularly insensitive. That was what I was going for.

Uh. Bruh. Your comment was definitely particularly insensitive, obnoxiously unfunny, and embarrassing (to yourself).

WhOaA, VeHiCuLaR tErRoRiSm + JaPaN = ToKyO dRiFt!!!! RuNnInG iN tHe 90's, Eh FeLlAs??!?!?!? XDXD

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Ok, I'll admit the wording wasn't good. But it's not like "holy shit it's like something out of..." is unusual or particularly insensitive. That was what I was going for.

tenor.gif

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it didn't turn out worse, and hopefully the victims pull through. I guess there are people born after a terror group were active and only see the allure and appeal to what they did through the news rather than actually living through such a terrible time as the Tokyo Gas Attack.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scary situation, but it could have been so much worse if he had done it during the middle of the day when the street is packed with people. I wonder how long Aum Shinrikyo will continue to survive

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a Doomsday Cult, infamous for the Sarin Gas Attacks back in the 90's. 12 dead immediately, 50 injured(but some would unfortunately die later on). It also caused mass vision problems to a lot of folks(500 to 1000), as a side effect.

They just recently executed members of this group that were associated and responsible, in July of 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aum_Shinrikyo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_subway_sarin_attack
Here: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/world/asia/japan-cult-execute-sarin.html

I can also recommend the book Underground from Murakami to learn more about the attacks, Aum Shinrikyo and their members.

Thanks for the info guys, I remember hearing about those Sarin Gas attacks but didn't know the name of the people involved.

Are there any other people like this Aum who could have been the inspiration or motivation for this guy committing these acts?

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info guys, I remember hearing about those Sarin Gas attacks but didn't know the name of the people involved.

Are there any other people like this Aum who could have been the inspiration or motivation for this guy committing these acts?

No worries, it is alway useful to gain new info.

Regarding your question, this is where stuff gets a bit sketchy. At one point, the cult had like over 10k followers in Japan alone, and more mid to high 5 digit followers abroad. Montenegro for example, deported about 60 people 2 year ago, who were found to be associated with Aum. Japan says these days that their numbers within the country are only around 1000 or so, but that is still scary to consider they have a following even 20+ years later.