• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Features
  • Deliberate combat. Read the enemy and act accordingly.
  • Beautiful 16 bit retro art style with fluid animations.
  • Seamless world without any in-game load screens.
  • Checkpoints can be placed anywhere.
  • Destructible checkpoint, if left unprotected the enemies can choose to attack the checkpoints instead of the player.
  • Skill based combat. No character progression and no loot.

Homepage: https://www.nopestproductions.com/driven-out
Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1054710/Driven_Out/
You can also join the discord for free demo: https://discord.gg/ZzpFcEh

Game is being made jahasaja who can probably give a lot of info and answer questions.
Seems to be a game to keep an eye on!

bild.webp

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely worth keeping on your watch list, everything about it is really shaping up to be something special!

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The logo and boxart make me wonder if there is some kind of futuristic/sci-fi slant to this...? Looks great by the way! :)

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
mmm... honestly the animations are really rough, especially the player one, which have a really weird pose and movements.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for making the thread Klyka !

Please if anybody have question please let me know.

The similarities to Prince of Persia is probably because we used the same way to make some of the animations : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0cpppGuow (but I do not have a brother so I had to use myself)

SixelAlexiS Oh, sorry you feel that they are weird. Since the main character is just a farmer and the sword is supposed to be heavy I tried to make it look like she was struggling wielding it.

Last edited:

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
This looks really cool. Agree about the Amiga and PoP influences. I've always wanted someone to try and make a game where the protagonist isn't all that skilled with weapons. Could make for some interesting gameplay (at the risk of creating tedium). Will grab this when it is released.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way the protagonist's animations are much smoother than the enemies' is a bit jarring (in PoP everyone was rotoscopped). But then again the enemies being less smooth makes reading their moves easier I guess.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Looks interesting. The enemy animations are pretty good, but the main character's walk cycle looks really goofy...

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
BG reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Beast lol, maybe it's all that delicious amigaish parallax.

Don't use steam, but if this ever gets to gog/console, I'm in

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool...immediately though of Another World when I saw the animation. Also what an odd name.

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna repost here some of the praise I given the demo on the Discord:
- Love how the enemies bodies just stay there, Golden Axe style. Also impressive how they blend on the background without affecting the readability of the screen and combat, good job! - Goat's animations are so good. Same for the protagonist's hair and clothing. And her recoil animations after blocking.

- Love the background art, it's beautiful. The fishes in the swamp, the houses on the hills, the clouds, details are great. Also, how many colors are in use? I'm impressed by how much brown I'm seeing without the game looking drab or muted.

- The knight with the loooong sword getting it stuck in the ground after getting parried is perfect, great animation!

Wishlisting it and looking forward to the full release. As long enemy variety/level design are there to shake things up, it's going to be a fun ride.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Looks interesting. The enemy animations are pretty good, but the main character's walk cycle looks really goofy...

Yeah I got this remark before so maybe I have to think about that. It just felt natural for me that an untrained person holding a heavy sword would walk like that if they had an enemy in front of them.

BG reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Beast lol, maybe it's all that delicious amigaish parallax.

Don't use steam, but if this ever gets to gog/console, I'm in

PS4 and Xboxone as well.

Doesn't fit the atmosphere\look of the game...I thought it was a racing game before clicking on the thread. That's just me though.

At least it is better than the name of my last game :-P

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Loved the art style. The backgrounds looks so good.

Looking foward to it when it comes to the PS4.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I got this remark before so maybe I have to think about that. It just felt natural for me that an untrained person holding a heavy sword would walk like that if they had an enemy in front of them.

Yeah, I see what you're going for, but still, I feel she leans backward too much and looks very unsteady on her feet. Untrained is one thing, but I think her posture should still look like she can block one of those attacks without falling on her ass. But sure, I can imagine it's pretty difficult to make it look like she's inexperienced but still possibly competent enough to win the fight.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It looks beautiful, and possibly super difficult - going by the trailer gameplay.
I grew up playing Moonstone on the Amiga (I have fond memories of being the only one that could beat the dragon) so I'll keep an eye on this.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It looks beautiful, and possibly super difficult - going by the trailer gameplay.
I grew up playing Moonstone on the Amiga (I have fond memories of being the only one that could beat the dragon) so I'll keep an eye on this.

So happy that so many mentions Moonstone!

I hope it will not be too difficult but the curve in the beginning might be a bit steep since it has a unique control scheme.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks awesome! I remember seeing it in a Game Maker/Game Jam thread (?!) on Era and being really impressed by it. Well done jahasaja you should be very proud.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Everything about this looks Amiga as hell.

It's like Moonstone, Lionheart and Another World had a baby.