• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Would you elaborate more? It's confusing specially since the game is 1st party.

The game used real car licenses via agreements with actual auto manufacturers. These licenses eventually expire and Sony no longer has the right to sell a game or profit off of them. In theory, they could work with the license holders to extend them, but at some point (especially with what is for all intents and purposes a dead game) it just doesn't make financial sense to do it.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Would you elaborate more? It's confusing specially since the game is 1st party.
I believe the car manufacturers set limits on how long the game could be sold Under a certain contract. Once they hit that limit Sony could have renogotiated but the game could have conceivably lost money depending on how many copies they were selling and how much the licensing cost.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game used real car licenses via agreements with actual auto manufacturers. These licenses eventually expire and Sony no longer has the right to sell a game or profit off of them. In theory, they could work with the license holders to extend them, but at some point (especially with what is for all intents and purposes a dead game) it just doesn't make financial sense to do it.
Oh I see. Thanks a lot :)

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Look at the reflections in the water, it's like Ray Tracing before anyone even knew what that was!
Those are screen space reflections which have been around in games for a very long time. An example of their limitation can be seen in this screenshot:

DOveDAX.png

With proper ray tracing, the car on the right would have it's undercarriage reflected in the road as it's driving over, but because these are screen space reflections, the reflection ends at the body of the car just past the decal on its side as the game's reflections are not "aware' of the underside of the car model, they can only reflect what is visible to the player. SSR is very good for what it needs to do in Driveclub though as you spend most of your time flying through scenes at very high speeds and can't spot the inaccuracy of the reflections.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020

If I bought a physical copy of this game, would it download the later updates during install or would I only be able to play it 1.0?

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Those are screen space reflections which have been around in games for a very long time. An example of their limitation can be seen in this screenshot:

DOveDAX.png

With proper ray tracing, the car on the right would have it's undercarriage reflected in the road as it's driving over, but because these are screen space reflections, the reflection ends at the body of the car just past the decal on its side as the game's reflections are not "aware' of the underside of the car model, they can only reflect what is visible to the player. SSR is very good for what it needs to do in Driveclub though as you spend most of your time flying through scenes at very high speeds and can't spot the inaccuracy of the reflections.
SSR tends to work pretty well in driving games because of the lack of mid-height view obstruction and the minimal ability to rapidly change the camera tilt. If you break those assumptions, all kinds of really obvious artifacts crop up:

Plenty of first-person shooters started using SSR around last gen, but I was never entirely on-board with that: it always introduces a lot of visual jank. Like here in Destiny, you can see a weird outline of the lamp in the water, because the lamp is occluding the stuff that the water should be reflecting.

Or having the reflection of the sky in the water wipe in and out as you look up and down:

Yr71biW.gif

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Man is it really too much to have asked Sony to have released a patch with some AA? This game really needed a 4K update.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This unfortunately means that if you are really interested in a racing game that uses real car licenses, be looking for sales around 4-5 years in, because that appears to be the industry standard for car licenses.
Yeah licensing sucks (music industry says hi)
I just remembered that recently there was a Forza game that was pulled iirc

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
its called screen space reflections and its in basically every game from the last 5 years. It can look incredible

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Dirt 5 is still in need of some patches for bugs on PS5, but if you're into the dynamic lighting and weather in Driveclub....it's also amazing there. That's where the devs from Driveclub went. The racing is superb in the game too.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely incredible game.
Replayed it after the servers went down. I really should have gone back and purchased all the DLC while I still had the chance.
I managed to grab a digital season pass code from gamestop.it a while ago so I got to play a few more series but some events are locked behind certain cars that you can't download anymore. For example you unlock the Lamborghini events but can't download the cars anymore (although they appear in the car select sceen as locked...). I'm guessing you'd just have to download a license to the car and not the actual model files.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Maybe not the best fidelity, but damn does it still look the best!
Thanks for reminding me to install it on my PS5 😊

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Does it have HDR?

I'm thinking about reinstalling it again. Already have the platinum but I'd love to try it out with my new TV

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is still the only game that has caused my wife to make a comment about how good it looked.

And don't remind me of how much I liked this game. The team is dissolved, there will be no patch. Awesome handling, huge track variety, stellar visuals. It was marred by bad/buggy/non-working multiplayer for a long time around launch though.

I thought Forza Horizon might fill the void... nah, I don't like the handling and I don't think it looks as good, or at least it doesn't look nearly as good as Driveclubs visual peaks.

I guess the handling model is revived in Dirt 5, somewhat? But being multi-platform drags the potential for the visuals down. I'll pick it up eventually.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
If only Evolution was alive... An eventual Driveclub 2 would look straight out of a PS6 or something

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Driveclub was already unbelievable on base PS4.
I did some crazy screenshots... reflections even on the bullets of the wheel rim .... like what?!? :O

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
you could probably track down a physical copy. I am kinda wishing I had double dipped on a digital version but this thread might make me get my disc version out and play it again.

BB or Amazon had Driveclub for like $8 in the last month. I picked it up. But I can't access any of the dlc, which appears to be most of the content including the motorcycles. So I guess I bought a mostly inaccessible game, at low frame rate and 1080p

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
This game is beautiful. We could've had this in 60fps.. if only Sony was stupid and closed Evo. Evo are masters in their own right. I was a fan of them since the WRC days and those are still my fav rally games ever!

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So what was it doing light wise already ? Global Illumination right ? What kind of GI ? How was it possible in that game particularly ?

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
Cockpit view rain effects are still better than any other racing game out there.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Amazing game.
I remember spending hours and hours playing it.
Those devs were wizards, that's for sure.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Amazing game.
I remember spending hours and hours playing it.
Those devs were wizards, that's for sure.
Some of the events of the game without DLC were so hard, and I only stopped after I got them all. I remember a hotlap with one specific car, that almost made me go hollow. Holy shit. But when I finally made it, it was all worth it.

Phenomenal game without bullshit tacked onto it, pure driving fun. It sucks so much that 1) the studio is gone and 2) we will never see a better running version of the game in the future :(

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I once thought about picking this up but that 3rd person rain effect always put me off. I can't understand anyone who thinks that obscuring your viewport like that in a racing game is 'immersive'. Game still looks great, though.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Good god imagine what a Driveclub 2 on PS5 could've been. What a stunning game the first still is.