• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Principle Designer is a modern role that is typically for people who've reached the pinnacle of their skill set but who specifically don't want to manage/direct a team of others. It's a practitioner role (on the tools) as opposed to a management role (typically not on the tools). That's my experience with this type of role anyway.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Also, Sunset Overdrive is Insomniac's most creative game by a country mile. It's so much more of a joy to look at and play than any other game they've released.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Why not? Again, I'm not being insensitive and it was just a question. A quick Google search answered my question. Also why wouldn't it be my business? Is it because he's the brother of a developer people like? The guy was a drug dealer. Anyway we'll leave it at that.

Let's not! this was literally not even remotely close to what we were talking about wtff?

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Gonna state the obvious but yall please don't go harassing this man, who am i kidding lol smh

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Someone mnetioned his brother and it reminded me of people I know who was affected by that and I wanted to make sure. Like I said I got my answer and we can just leave it.
Aren't you the same guy who yesterday said that Druckmann was a closet "Racist" in a cringe thread?
Let's see how long you last on this site.

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Mine is more likely. I've followed Drew for years now and he was genuinely excited to be working at TI and proud of what he did with PD, until suffering a family tragedy that made him want (need) to spend more time at home. You're inserting console wars drama with zero evidence.

My evidence is that he switched companies. If Drew really wanted to stay with his previous company, he could have got a similar roll at that company…Staying at his previous company was obviously not a high enough priority.

Speaking of "zero evidence"…Please provide the evidence you have that Drew left The Initiative specifically b/c of his family tragedy (as opposed to 2 separate things happening around the same time)

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Why not? Again, I'm not being insensitive and it was just a question. A quick Google search answered my question. Also why wouldn't it be my business? Is it because he's the brother of a developer people like? The guy was a drug dealer. Anyway we'll leave it at that.

Wow…So we really gonna rake the guy's dead brother over the coals like this? Why cant we keep it gaming & not get this personal

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really happy for him, he's an incredible talent.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
My evidence is that he switched companies. If Drew really wanted to stay with his previous company, he could have got a similar roll at that company…Staying at his previous company was obviously not a high enough priority.

Speaking of "zero evidence"…Please provide the evidence you have that Drew left The Initiative specifically b/c of his family tragedy (as opposed to 2 separate things happening around the same time)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone mnetioned his brother and it reminded me of people I know who was affected by that and I wanted to make sure. Like I said I got my answer and we can just leave it.
Some of you really are so god damn insensitive.

Can't you just be happy for him? Why does things that affected him need to be mentioned for no reason?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Guess he'll work on Spidey 2, great if so, Pete is going to need a lot of tuning post Miles, so he doesn't feel slow or weak in comparison. I can't wait either way.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
why in the fuck is it so important for some of you all to determine the exact specific reason he might have left one company for another jfc shit is just weird. Is this really being turned into console war shit?

Jul 10, 2020
why in the fuck is it so important for some of you all to determine the exact specific reason he might have left one company for another jfc shit is just weird. Is this really being turned into console war shit?

You goddamn know it is.

Same thing happened when he left.

"Is Perfect Dark in trouble?" all that shit.

Many podcasters had to come out and say, he left for personal reasons.

Game devs are people, they're chess pieces in the grand console war.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised, a lot of people here don't seem to understand devs are people too, not some mythical creature who has no interests, motives or desires besides finishing/making a game they've worked on.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

It's typical outsider gossip tier bullshit.

I've worked in the industry for over 15 years (it'd be 17, but I took a year off from burnout back in 2008), and, like, people leave companies, change positions, or leave the industry completely for so many different reasons. Most of us don't plan on being in our current positions in the industry indefinitely. I know it's hard to fathom for some, but, surprise, a lot of us have dreams/ambitions beyond our current role. I don't plan on being a game designer forever. I have other career goals that I'm working towards, and when I'm at a place where I can achieve those goals (whether with my current studio, or if, for some reason, another studio), then I'll pursue those goals. It's not always some juicy tidbit that causes industry folk to move around. It literally happens all of the time, and most of it is never really remarked upon, because, honestly, it's just not worth remarking on. It's generally fairly rare that it's "bad blood" as the reason why people leave. One of the things about this industry is that, especially in the US, and especially here in LA, is that it's very small.

A lot of us have worked with each other across a variety of different studios and publishers over the years. Burning bridges isn't something most of us try to do, because, honestly, you never know who you're going to be working with in the future. Most departures are very amicable and friendly, with the door being open for a return in the future if the stars align again. I know I can't think of any times where someone was, say, a complete and utter asshole, so we were happy to see the back end of them when they left. Besides, word gets around when it comes to those types of personalities in the industry, and they often have a hard time finding work at other studios if they're legitimately "problematic" employees.

Drew left Insomniac for reasons that are his own. He then left the Initiative to return to Insomniac for reasons that are his own. Like, why does it really matter? He's doing what he loves, and is happy to be back at a home he had for, what, a decade or so?

Hell, even at our studio, we've had people leave and come back, and it's always a celebratory time when former employees come back, because we hated to see them go in the first place, but we were also happy that they were pursuing other opportunities in their careers, even though it meant they had to leave us.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Also, Sunset Overdrive is Insomniac's most creative game by a country mile. It's so much more of a joy to look at and play than any other game they've released.
No. Not to detract from the fact it is still a creative/original game, but at its core, it is human Ratchet-and-Clank (without a Clank-like partner of course). Most of the mechanics are either from Ratchet and Clank or direct evolution of existing mechanics from their previous games.

Any of the SM games they released are more fun to play/traverse in than SO. 😕

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Is he the guy that quit being a lawyer and then become a game dev? I can see why he did it, designing game is his real passion.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas

I've worked in the industry for over 15 years (it'd be 17, but I took a year off from burnout back in 2008), and, like, people leave companies, change positions, or leave the industry completely for so many different reasons. Most of us don't plan on being in our current positions in the industry indefinitely. I know it's hard to fathom for some, but, surprise, a lot of us have dreams/ambitions beyond our current role. I don't plan on being a game designer forever. I have other career goals that I'm working towards, and when I'm at a place where I can achieve those goals (whether with my current studio, or if, for some reason, another studio), then I'll pursue those goals. It's not always some juicy tidbit that causes industry folk to move around. It literally happens all of the time, and most of it is never really remarked upon, because, honestly, it's just not worth remarking on. It's generally fairly rare that it's "bad blood" as the reason why people leave. One of the things about this industry is that, especially in the US, and especially here in LA, is that it's very small.

A lot of us have worked with each other across a variety of different studios and publishers over the years. Burning bridges isn't something most of us try to do, because, honestly, you never know who you're going to be working with in the future. Most departures are very amicable and friendly, with the door being open for a return in the future if the stars align again. I know I can't think of any times where someone was, say, a complete and utter asshole, so we were happy to see the back end of them when they left. Besides, word gets around when it comes to those types of personalities in the industry, and they often have a hard time finding work at other studios if they're legitimately "problematic" employees.

Drew left Insomniac for reasons that are his own. He then left the Initiative to return to Insomniac for reasons that are his own. Like, why does it really matter? He's doing what he loves, and is happy to be back at a home he had for, what, a decade or so?

Hell, even at our studio, we've had people leave and come back, and it's always a celebratory time when former employees come back, because we hated to see them go in the first place, but we were also happy that they were pursuing other opportunities in their careers, even though it meant they had to leave us.

If only most here would understand this. It's kinda sad we even need people like you responding like this tbh. Thanks for that!

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If only most here would understand this. It's kinda sad we even need people like you responding like this tbh. Thanks for that!

I admit it's incredibly exhausting to see even the slightest movement in the industry blown out of proportion because "there's just got to be more to the story here!" This incessant need for DRAAAMAAAA is certainly off-putting. If I didn't enjoy reading and talking about games, I'd bounce too. There's some cool peeps here, so I stick around, though I don't contribute as frequently as I used to.

I guess, for me, there's a lot of cool shit going on in the industry to talk about, that the TMZ tier "scoop-chasing" seems like a waste of energy to me. To be clear, I'm not talking about the discussions around things like abuse, discrimination, and downright toxic work environments, just some of the mundane shit that gets blown up in importance despite it really meaning very, very little.

I don't generally comment on those types of threads, but with this one, I just couldn't not say something.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
people blowing this up for console war reasons is soooo exhausting and just stupid

reminds me when a while back a designer on Halo Infinite left the project when the contract was up and it was blown up and slapped all over Twitter, IGN, Gamespot etc lol

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London

It was good to read your down to Earth insights. In a few Industries people chop and change and cross paths and like you said there's no drama, it's just people living their lives.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you know i would like it if insomniac remastered the resistance games and released them for the ps5/ps4. i always wanted to play the games but i never got a ps3. same goes for the motorstorm games.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
My evidence is that he switched companies. If Drew really wanted to stay with his previous company, he could have got a similar roll at that company…Staying at his previous company was obviously not a high enough priority
So you know for a fact his new position wasn't taken already at TI? Ok then... It's normal in this industry that people switch companies.
Principle Designer is a modern role that is typically for people who've reached the pinnacle of their skill set but who specifically don't want to manage/direct a team of others. It's a practitioner role (on the tools) as opposed to a management role (typically not on the tools). That's my experience with this type of role anyway.
Thanks for sharing what this role means in your experience. Always appreciate gaming developers sharing some insight.
I admit it's incredibly exhausting to see even the slightest movement in the industry blown out of proportion because "there's just got to be more to the story here!" This incessant need for DRAAAMAAAA is certainly off-putting. If I didn't enjoy reading and talking about games, I'd bounce too. There's some cool peeps here, so I stick around, though I don't contribute as frequently as I used to.

I guess, for me, there's a lot of cool shit going on in the industry to talk about, that the TMZ tier "scoop-chasing" seems like a waste of energy to me. To be clear, I'm not talking about the discussions around things like abuse, discrimination, and downright toxic work environments, just some of the mundane shit that gets blown up in importance despite it really meaning very, very little.

I don't generally comment on those types of threads, but with this one, I just couldn't not say something.
Thanks for sticking around and thanks for the lengthy post. I appreciate it and I am sure there are hundreds just reading appreciating it.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It was good to read your down to Earth insights. In a few Industries people chop and change and cross paths and like you said there's no drama, it's just people living their lives.
So you know for a fact his new position wasn't taken already at TI? Ok then... It's normal in this industry that people switch companies.
Thanks for sharing what this role means in your experience. Always appreciate gaming developers sharing some insight.
Thanks for sticking around and thanks for the lengthy post. I appreciate it and I am sure there are hundreds just reading appreciating it.

Thanks so much!

I generally fail at making short posts, mainly because I like to be as informative as possible, but these topics always bring out the passionate side to me, so my posts balloon up lol

And yeah, it's usually just people living their lives, and doing what's best for them in that given moment. Not always some mega-drama going on behind the scenes, where X-person is FED UP with Y-studio. Sometimes it's just time to move on, and in some cases, return to a previous work home, because now your personal skillset, or the studio's aims align with yours, and they have a place for you.

I've definitely seen instances where a particular person left the studio to pursue some ambition or another, and wanted to come back, and we wanted them to come back, but we just didn't have a role for them at that time. Other times, they're able to slot right back into the studio, with all of their new skills and insights from their experiences outside of the company, and it's wonderful.

I can't tell you how eye-rolling it is when I see some of these types of stories being covered by certain media outlets as some kind of grand drama. But it tends to work and get eyes on the story, so they don't have much incentive to not sensationalize as much as possible lol sigh

Oct 27, 2017
A decade ago I would have agreed with you, but as I get older I realize everyone has different priorities and is looking for different things. I am currently in a leadership role in my career and of the ten worst days of my professional life, all ten of them are working in this role. I have definitely considered stepping down into a less-intense role at several points. With the difficult time Drew is seemingly having in his personal life, this move makes a ton of sense.

Not everyone is built to fly that close to the sun. I'm a controller (accounting) so I'm right under the cfo and under my staff, I'm currently directing an audit, leading implementation of new software that goes live in April as well as hiring for new positions while watching the budget of a million dollars construction project. Not everyone wants to deal with that and I totally understand it because you are responsible for so much. A person can get burned out by that.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Congrats to him.

To everyone losing their shit, it's a pandemic and he was at Insomniac for a long time. Probably just prefers the work culture and job security at a renowned studio right now than moving forward on a major AAA project for a brand new studio.