• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Interesting that he wanted to leave Microsoft & The Initiative to go back to Insomniac...Maybe what they were making over at the Initiative wasn't his style

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Sony should not be wasting their time with Sunset when so many interesting things can be done with Spidey, Ratchet and Resistance imo.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Congratulations to him and Insomniac
This is pretty interesting for two reasons.

1) Did things not work out well with The Initiative
2) Do Insomniac plan to run a third game in their rotation outside of R&C and Spider-Man.
  1. He lost someone and wanted to focus on his private life. The new job isn't in a leader position and presumably he has more time for his family. No story to find here.
  2. Would be cool as Insomniac is one of the best studios. But unlikely, because he isn't going there in a lead role.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine bringing him back and not putting him to direct Sunset 2 ASAP. If he's up to it, Sony better fucking do it.

OP
OP
Thiago

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony: What the fuck is Sunset Overdrive?
giphy.gif

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Interesting that he wanted to leave Microsoft & The Initiative to go back to Insomniac...Maybe what they were making over at the Initiative wasn't his style
He talked about wanting to spend more time with his family and that's most likely the reason. For those who don't know, his brother sadly died and he needed time of.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
All the best to Drew! He was an awesome advocate for The Initiative and the PD game, and he just seems like a cool dude. Hope he gets time to spend doing the things he cares about in and out of games (and also keeps making awesome games haha).

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
10 years 6 jobs titles and 5 games honestly just sounds like a person who like to move around and switch things up. No need to read into it lol

Not that I disagree with the gist of what you're saying, but that 10 years, 6 job titles, 5 games thing just seems like a little in-joke or something? Looking at the games he's worked on, they all appear to be with Insomniac:

www.giantbomb.com

Drew Murray (Person) - Giant Bomb

Drew Murray is a creative director and programmer at Insomniac Games where he has worked since 2005.

I don't know what he did in the pre-Initiative years (judging by earlier tweets he joined in 2018/2019?) but either way, I'm not sure he's moved around a great deal outside of Insomniac.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
maybe i'm misreading the situation here but i'll take this as confirmation that bluepoint games is remastering all 8 ratchet and clank games for ps5...

uptownsoul

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
He talked about wanting to spend more time with his family and that's most likely the reason. For those who don't know, his brother sadly died and he needed time of.

You're probably correct. But family reasons can't be the only major reason. Because 3 weeks after leaving the Initiative he announced he's back at Insomniac.

So there's something major besides family.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If you're a Sony or Insomniac fan, be happy that Insomniac gained back an extremely talented person within the industry. As for everyone else, it's none of your fucking business why he wanted to switch roles unless he volunteers it. It's personal.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Your scenario is just as likely as mine. Either way, he thought it was a better fit for him at Insomniac
Mine is more likely. I've followed Drew for years now and he was genuinely excited to be working at TI and proud of what he did with PD, until suffering a family tragedy that made him want (need) to spend more time at home. You're inserting console wars drama with zero evidence.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I get that he probably wants to get back on the saddle to take his mind off of things but to make an announcement just 3 weeks ago from one major company to another seems rather odd even if he has close friends there.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I really hope he gets better and starts directing Gotys for Insomniac again.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Insensitive commentary
Could we not? It's really nobody's business. Literally nobody's here.
Why not? Again, I'm not being insensitive and it was just a question. A quick Google search answered my question. Also why wouldn't it be my business? Is it because he's the brother of a developer people like? The guy was a drug dealer. Anyway we'll leave it at that.

Jul 10, 2020
Why not? Again, I'm not being insensitive and it was just a question. A quick Google search answered my question. Also why wouldn't it be my business? Is it because he's the brother of a developer people like? The guy was a drug dealer.
Dude.

Not.The.Fucking.Place.

It doesn't matter what happened, other than he left for personal reasons in a high-stress position at a place he loved, but left to a more low-key position with people he was familiar with.

Kasey said it best.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
I would assume a Principle Designer is lower than a Game Director.

He must really love Insomniac or really hate The Initiative to take a lower title.

I would assume neither of those. A lower role can often provide a better work/life balance as you don't have the same responsibilities. Not everyone wants or aspires to a job that they have to take home or requires a large number of long days.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Really happy for him, I was super bummed hearing he left The Initiative. Best of luck to him, and congrats (again!) Insomniac for this huge "get".