• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"But as we grew and became more successful, things changed. We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had."

That sucks really. I'm cool with them having the financial backing of a huge publisher. But you really do end up with the high probability of losing the soul the developer once had.

You could see that even with Mass Effect 2 as alot of RPG elements were removed. ME3 was the straw that broke the camels back for me as a fan though, not only because of the false promises/marketing regarding the ending, but other elements of the story, cut content sold as DLC and the boring tacked on multiplayer implemented only to sell loot boxes.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Mark Darrah and Patrick Weekes gives me sliver of hope.

Plus Jedi Order recent success.
just remember the "where;s your ultimate team?" quote lol. as for JFO, it's a game EA basically paid for as is. using an outside engine & no multiplayer or monetization components. dont hold your breath for anything from jfo dev to carry over the bioware

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Karpyshyn was a writer in my most favourite BioWare games, hoping that Archetype new game will be a successful one.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Wizards of the Coast is really making a push these last few years towards video gaming, aren't they? MtG:A, commissioning Baldur's Gate 3 to Larian, stablishing this studio... It feels like they're doing much more than what they used to.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have full confidence in Drew. His own books, his Mass effect/Starwars books and ofcourse writing in the game was excellent.

Lets hope Archetype can deliver AA quality sci fi game. Would be a letdown if its anything less tbh

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that name looked familiar. I loved the Mass Effect books! (Never read anything passed Retribution). Looking forward to whatever it is they're working on and I REALLY hope they can recapture the magic that made DA and ME so special.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited to see where they go, especially with WotC behind them. Hopefully that means some D&D CRPGs down the line.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Very, very excited to see what these guys can do. I just hope they get the budget they need to realise their vision.

Drew was the creative writer behind the original Mass Effect right?

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
He did a great job with the Mass Effect universe. Hoping this new universe will be as good as Mass Effect.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am absolutely all for giving this team a chance. Bioware ain't what it used to be and if it has to do with veterans going elsewhere to make possibly smaller projects with more passion then I'm all in.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I wasn't aware he'd gone back to Bioware in the first place, but I've liked the work of his that I've seen (like the tie in SWTOR books) so this will be something I'll follow a little more closely

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I wasn't aware he'd gone back to Bioware in the first place, but I've liked the work of his that I've seen (like the tie in SWTOR books) so this will be something I'll follow a little more closely
He hadn't? He's done some contract work for them now and then but hasn't had an actual position in the company for 8 years so it's kinda weird he's bringing it up? I suppose though it's more likely to get promotion from gaming sites if he mentions BioWare as that's what he's most known for the the other stuff he's been doing in the last 8 years.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
If this is a mass effect spiritual successor count me the fuck in.
Lets hope they can make a great RPG.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I really admire his work, so I'm looking forward to see what else he's coming up with.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I wish we could have many small RPG written by Karpyshin. Something like The Banner Saga, for example.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I'll never be able to understand anyone who thinks DA2 was a positive move for the series. It was a thin veneer of Dragon Age over a poorly made, shallow action-RPG. It reused its own assets left and right, rewrote characters from the first game to make them 1 dimensional, and had a narrative that was not only a fraction of the scope of its predecessor, but had amateurish writing on top of it. It took everything interesting about DA:O and tossed it out or watered it down in favor of a quick follow up cash grab.
There are, like, 3 minor characters in DAO that ends up in DA2. I wonder who are you referring to.

Isabela who had a cameo in DAO? The cameo of Flemeth? The cameo of Alistair? That templar that was in the tower in DAO?

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
You could see that even with Mass Effect 2 as alot of RPG elements were removed. ME3 was the straw that broke the camels back for me as a fan though, not only because of the false promises/marketing regarding the ending, but other elements of the story, cut content sold as DLC and the boring tacked on multiplayer implemented only to sell loot boxes.
ME3 was the first time that I found myself getting ready to jump out of the boat. I had so much disappointment after finishing that one.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
By nature, market research can never do anything but retread ideas, it's got to be the most frustrating thing as a creative to be stuck in that system.