• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Just finished the second season. I liked it, though the Season had a very different feel from Season 1

Now that I really think about it, between the Mega Jaguar, Scarlemagne and Human Resistance subplots, they tried to do a lot this season. They did the Mega Jaguar and Scarlemagne stuff decently but the stuff with the Human Resistance and Emilia felt really underdeveloped. Like, there being a Human organization on the surface should have been a way bigger deal than it was. Their leader, Emilia, also wasn't really explored as a character. Like, we see her responsible for a lot of plot points, like Hugo turning evil, Kipo's mom becoming monkey, Kipo's dad running around on the surface, breaking Stalkie etc. but I feel she's kind of a flat as a character. It doesn't help that we see they're not good guys pretty quickly (when they try to collar Kipo's mom).

Honestly, they probably shouldn't have revealed they were bad so early. They should have written them to be low-key mysterious allies for most of the season (giving the Mega Jaguar and Scarlemagne stuff as much space as it needs). Then the final episode could have ended with the reveal that they kept Scarlemagne's collar, that Emilia was responsible for how Kipo's mom and Hugo turned out etc. It's too late now, of course. Hopefully they give Emilia and the Human Resistance more depth next season. Also hoping that they avoid the obvious route of "well actually humans were the REAL bad guys"

Also just want to add that the power of friendship ending was kinda predictable, but it was fine. Like, it's Kipo. She's exactly the kind of character that would work on lol

Also also, it's crazy that Mulholland to end up being super important for this season finale. Would have never expected that to happen

Also also also I'm disappointed that there wasn't more Jamack this season, I love that guy

Still liked it, still hoping for Season 3, though they should take their time with S3 if it is happening. I can wait if it means more amazing music

I was also disappointed that Jamack didn't appear during the confrontation with Scarlemagne and his underlings. I wonder how will he react to the death of the Mod Frogs?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the second season. I liked it, though the Season had a very different feel from Season 1

Now that I really think about it, between the Mega Jaguar, Scarlemagne and Human Resistance subplots, they tried to do a lot this season. They did the Mega Jaguar and Scarlemagne stuff decently but the stuff with the Human Resistance and Emilia felt really underdeveloped. Like, there being a Human organization on the surface should have been a way bigger deal than it was. Their leader, Emilia, also wasn't really explored as a character. Like, we see her responsible for a lot of plot points, like Hugo turning evil, Kipo's mom becoming monkey, Kipo's dad running around on the surface, breaking Stalkie etc. but I feel she's kind of a flat as a character. It doesn't help that we see they're not good guys pretty quickly (when they try to collar Kipo's mom).

Honestly, they probably shouldn't have revealed they were bad so early. They should have written them to be low-key mysterious allies for most of the season (giving the Mega Jaguar and Scarlemagne stuff as much space as it needs). Then the final episode could have ended with the reveal that they kept Scarlemagne's collar, that Emilia was responsible for how Kipo's mom and Hugo turned out etc. It's too late now, of course. Hopefully they give Emilia and the Human Resistance more depth next season. Also hoping that they avoid the obvious route of "well actually humans were the REAL bad guys"

Also just want to add that the power of friendship ending was kinda predictable, but it was fine. Like, it's Kipo. She's exactly the kind of character that would work on lol

Also also, it's crazy that Mulholland to end up being super important for this season finale. Would have never expected that to happen

Also also also I'm disappointed that there wasn't more Jamack this season, I love that guy

Still liked it, still hoping for Season 3, though they should take their time with S3 if it is happening. I can wait if it means more amazing music
It's dreamworks. Season 3 will likely be out at the end of this year, or early next year if there is one.

It's not like they took significantly more time to make season 1 than 2, they just had them both done and broke them up.

keep in mind that voltron did 8 seasons in 3 years
4Zr91os.png

It's just how dreamworks rolls.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
My girls (4 & 7) have been mainlining this over the past week. It's absolutely rad. I'm not sure how they went from Paw Patrol to this but I'm not asking too many questions (eat shit Ryder).

Oct 26, 2017
The creator was answering some questions in this thread here.

Not sure if they're still taking questions or not. Seems like the burrow people
may be clones?

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
Just heard that the last season is next month, so that's extremely disappointing. I don't give a shit about Voltron or She-Ra and the Dragon Prince is pretty mid, but I fell in love with this after the first episode. Outside of the anime, it's definitely the best animated show on Netflix, and it's a shame that it's so underrated. I guess on the bright side, it's great that the show is ending how they'd like it to and it didn't get a chance to grow stale.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Exciting to hear. Sorry to see it'll be over, but glad they get to finish on their terms.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
nearing the end of the show. it feels like a mistake to have watched this all almost in its entirety starting after finishing she-ra, but there are a lot of good things it has to offer.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 was great, but season 2 was kinda weird to me. Hopefully these positive impressions for 3 ring true.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
some spoilers ahead for kipo, she-ra and the princesses of power, avatar: the last airbender, and the legend of korra.

this show wound up in my recommendations after watching beastars - which had a very positive reception here and managed to underwhelm from start to finish - and b.n.a. - out of love for studio trigger's more enjoyable shows like little witch academia and kill la kill (note to everyone: do not watch b.n.a.). it really wasn't my intention to start watching furry cartoons in the first place, but the reviews for kipo were strong and i was looking for another quality animated show to watch after she-ra (and to wipe b.n.a. from memory). and it is... okay. okay bordering on good. and in a lot of places, great!

first impressions were positive. kipo is a fun protagonist - a relentlessly optimistic and naive science nerd. being headstrong and smart is a fun combination and watching characters try and work their way out of situations through problem-solving is one of the strengths of the show. 'how are they gonna get outta this one?' is not always a big action scene. but when we do get an action scene - especially in the first season, they're pretty solid. nothing is at the level of avatar: the last airbender, but the different mutes make for creative setpieces. it's much more entertaining than she-ra and the princesses of power in that way.

and most of the presentation is, for that matter. there's going to be a lot of comparisons to she-ra, which i hold in pretty high regard, but there are places where kipo clearly outclasses what i think is a better show. the art style apparently tries to mimic the art from the comic book on which it's based, and it helps to give it its own sense of visual identity with the sharp angles and bright, eye-catching colors. the music is fantastic. working beyond the conventional action show genre with a blend of hip hop and pop music adds to the energy in action sequences (and intro music! the buildup to the 'woo!' had me hooked every time).

the representation is also a welcome change of pace. most of she-ra's cast is pretty white, but kipo's lead, and its two main supporting characters are people of color. benson is openly gay, complete with a funny/awkward introduction to his love interest that is usually reserved for straight characters. and they even share a hug and a kiss before the actual end of the show. i don't think it's developed particularly well - troy often feels like a prop for benson to further develop on his own, where the main relationship in she-ra was the key driving force of the show for five seasons. but it's cute, and it's nice to see this further being normalized. between seasons 2 and 3, i watched all of daria for the first time. more than the technology and pop culture dating that show, what most felt out of place was the complete lack (except maybe a single side-character?) of lgbt representation. it just feels so much more present in media now, that when it's not there, it stands out. it's shocking and welcoming to see how far things have come.

where the show stumbles is in its writing. if i were grading it, it would be a b-. better than average, but had potential for more. it does what i had expected out of she-ra before that show defied my expectations. the jokes are more generally predictable, with reads that don't feel natural. the delivery in she-ra made the jokes stand out as as though the reactions were happening spontaneously among friends. in kipo, it's a symptom of a larger problem where the plot moves people along faster than the characters can develop. people get along just a bit too quickly. if there was a fourth season, there would probably be enough time to flesh out the relationships beyond kipo and wolf and to a lesser extent, benson and dave. too often and too quick are supporting cast members out to say, 'well, that's kipo for ya!' like they've known her for ages. it doesn't come across as earned.

and unfortunately that affects the drama going into seasons 2 and 3. emilia has pretty solid reasons to want to do what she's doing. scarlemegne is playing god and will kill people to get his way. people are right to be afraid of him and side with someone who has been working to take the surface back for humans. outside of dan stevens's performance, there's nothing to either scarlemagne or emilia. scarlemagne most closesly resembles catra from she-ra - someone who feels betrayed by someone they love, and replaced by new friends/family, and goes to extreme lengths to prove their greatness. what works in she-ra, and what doesn't work in kipo, is that catra has numerous chances to make right, and constantly, constantly, is the one fucking things up. scarlemagne goes through something similar at the end of season 2, but the result in season 3 is not as compelling. if this was avatar or she-ra, scarlemagne would have betrayed the main characters big-time - maybe challenge their belief systems, dig the hole even deeper, have this character give up something meaningful to them for their redemption. zuko gave up his seat next to his father and position in the fire nation. catra committed a major form of self-sacrifice. scarlemagne gets a talking to and after a runaround, just stops acting like a jackass after he has designs to kill everyone. it doesn't track.

dr. emilia's thing is that she's so unrepentantly focused on one thing that there's nothing else to her character. we only learn about her backstory from song (somehow? i might have missed how song knew these details), and long after we've had time to get to know her. so she only exists as a protagonist for little more than a season. unlike hordak, who is also unrepentantly focused on one thing, she never grows close to anyone around her, even as a way for us to see what makes her tick or why anyone enjoys her leadership. she lacks the rapport with her cohorts that zaheer does in season 3 of korra. she also isn't a good final boss like horde prime, whose race supremacy is viewed as dangerous, legitimately terrifying, and not to be treated with kid gloves.

as a result, kipo's quest is not too interesting. when she gets challenged on something, she'll either turn out to be right, or the problem will resolve itself without her needing to learn anything. this works well enough in the first season at least. kipo's quest to find 'her people' (damn i got tired of hearing this term) set up fun one-offs about a fish out of water learning about a new world and the people in it. but as fun and as refreshing as her general outlook makes her character, it doesn't make for compelling storytelling later into the series. i think avatar and she-ra also have an issue with this. kipo doesn't even pose it as a question - because the right answer is always to make friends with people different from you. avatar asks the question 'what do you do with someone who will kill you and everyone just to remain in power' and the answer is a thud in 'deus ex machina.' she-ra doesn't bother presenting this as a moral dilemma, but in a show about friendship and coming together, the answer to race supremacy is to wipe it from the planet and destroy it throughout the galaxy. there is no redemption there.

it goes beyond the general story too. kipo can't return back from being a mega jaguar? nah she figures it out in the same episode. scarlemagne is untrustworthy? kipo was right everyone - he's on our side now. emilia just tried to kill everyone in the worst kaiju fight since the end of legend of korra season 2? she's probably changed - just help her up and hubris will take care of the job for you. it's all too neat and easy, and it lessens the overall experience.

i know that's a lot to write about a show intended for children, but we've had some really strong examples of storytelling and character development in the all-ages animated action show in the last 15 years, and it's disappointing that when so much of this show gets it right, it stumbles on the core element that could have made it great.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
season 3 was fun. I think Kipo is my favorite of the dreamworks shows on netflix. Easy recommendation from me.

I need that season 3 soundtrack.

Oct 25, 2017
TIL Karen Fukuhara, the voice of Kipo (and Glimmer in She-Ra), is Kimiko in The Boys. Mind blown.

So that's two mutes she's played.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Thought it was a fitting end, but S1 still probably ended up being my favorite.

The consistent thing is that this show has a really good heart, with a fun style that is just so easy to engage with, and that remains true.

i was wearing a bit thin on Kipo's certainty about Emilia being worth redeeming. By the final episode, it felt less like a moral standing and more like Kipo being naive. I was more sold by Hugo and Wolf's exchange about the meaning behind choosing to stand with her idealism. I think they could have dug into Kipo's head a bit more about the weight of that belief. They do so with the seige, and Kipo's attempt to destroy the boat, but after that it's just "no." Made the big climax feel just a bit too emotionally easy for her.

Either way, I'm glad the show more-or-less agreed and just went "lol nah, she's a piece of shit who'll totally try and stab your eyes out."

Also their epilogue designs all looked so good.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished up season 3 (although my kids rinsed it in about a day). I have never chosen to watch a 'cartoon' series as an adult (not a slight on anyone that does, it's just never worked for me), but Kipo is genuinely astonishing to me. The design, art direction, writing, v/a etc all just rips. I couldn't recommend this show highly enough to anyone really.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up season 3 (although my kids rinsed it in about a day). I have never chosen to watch a 'cartoon' series as an adult (not a slight on anyone that does, it's just never worked for me), but Kipo is genuinely astonishing to me. The design, art direction, writing, v/a etc all just rips. I couldn't recommend this show highly enough to anyone really.

if you enjoyed kipo that much, maybe it can be a gateway to other all-ages action-oriented media. the standard-bearer is avatar: the last airbender. a modern classic is she-ra and the princesses of power.

avatar is strong on effort. there's a lot of care and research to flesh out its world. the four main nations and the fighting styles of each bender come from real-world asian cultures and the martial arts related to those cultures. the first season is pretty good, although it doesn't really get going until about halfway through that first season. in a positive way, it was like watching the original star wars trilogy again. good character development, interesting dilemmas, and some memorable fight scenes with real stakes.

she-ra's choreography isn't very strong. neither is its plot. where it excels is in its voice talent, direction, and writing. the way the characters bounce off each other, grow, and develop is the core of the show, and it's incredibly well done.

Last edited:

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Is it just me or did Scarlemagne getting the "redemption death" feel weird? I feel that's usually reserved for characters where that's their only way of redemption, i.e. Shadow Weaver in She-Ra, but at this point in the story it did feel like he was making progress with other mutes accepting him? Plus, the death didn't even feel like an "I have to sacrifice myself to save someone I care for from certain death", he just kinda crashed his flamingo car and died.

Also, the Liam flashback felt super weird and out of place. Why do you introduce the main bad guy's brother in a flashback in the second-to-last episode only to kill him off? It's not like it even really changed anything, everyone already knew Emilia was super evil. I think the fact that we didn't learn that much new stuff about the world in general is something that makes me enjoy this a bit less than seasons 1 and 2 - whereas those really expanded on the world, this was just kinda playing out what we already knew.

Also it's so weird to me that Wolf's former wolf sister/friend just kinda gets cured and the main cast never even finds out about it. It's interesting that she returned, but then it doesn't feel like they really do much with that or give Wolf any kind of closure for her traumatic past.

Also I hate how Song still barely had any agency. She got turned back not by something she accomplished, but because Lio stole the cure from Emilia. She wants to make a vaccine, but that plotline is never actually resolved - they're working on it, but it never actually goes anywhere. All she does is talk to the bees, and I really wished that S3 would've treated her better.

Also it was so frustrating having the "Song tries to communicate but fails" plotline in literally the same episode as everyone else fucking around with Mulholland, the one reliable way of communicating with Song that's been established. S2 showed us that Mulholland can be used to talk to Song, but nobody actually ever uses that in S3.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or did Scarlemagne getting the "redemption death" feel weird? I feel that's usually reserved for characters where that's their only way of redemption, i.e. Shadow Weaver in She-Ra, but at this point in the story it did feel like he was making progress with other mutes accepting him? Plus, the death didn't even feel like an "I have to sacrifice myself to save someone I care for from certain death", he just kinda crashed his flamingo car and died.

Also, the Liam flashback felt super weird and out of place. Why do you introduce the main bad guy's brother in a flashback in the second-to-last episode only to kill him off? It's not like it even really changed anything, everyone already knew Emilia was super evil. I think the fact that we didn't learn that much new stuff about the world in general is something that makes me enjoy this a bit less than seasons 1 and 2 - whereas those really expanded on the world, this was just kinda playing out what we already knew.

Also it's so weird to me that Wolf's former wolf sister/friend just kinda gets cured and the main cast never even finds out about it. It's interesting that she returned, but then it doesn't feel like they really do much with that or give Wolf any kind of closure for her traumatic past.

Also I hate how Song still barely had any agency. She got turned back not by something she accomplished, but because Lio stole the cure from Emilia. She wants to make a vaccine, but that plotline is never actually resolved - they're working on it, but it never actually goes anywhere. All she does is talk to the bees, and I really wished that S3 would've treated her better.

Also it was so frustrating having the "Song tries to communicate but fails" plotline in literally the same episode as everyone else fucking around with Mulholland, the one reliable way of communicating with Song that's been established. S2 showed us that Mulholland can be used to talk to Song, but nobody actually ever uses that in S3.

the way season 3 resolves everything has me wonder if there was supposed to be a season 4 and instead, much more of it was crammed together.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Pacing issues aside, I really enjoyed season 3. Kipo crams a lot of content into each episode yet still leaves time for the important moments to breathe. The art direction and music selection is always A+ too.

the way season 3 resolves everything has me wonder if there was supposed to be a season 4 and instead, much more of it was crammed together.

Apparently they had 30 episodes from Netflix regardless of how well it did; Netflix decided how to space the seasons out.

It definitely sounds like they have ideas for more stories going by the interviews they do.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
They said it was supposed to be 3 seasons from the start. What most likely happened is they just had more ideas than would reasonably fit and they didn't cut as many as they should have.

Also you still see this in a lot of kids shows, but the big resolutions in general tend to be very rushed because the higher ups still assume kids won't focus on drawn out dramatic things.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
I loved it, if I had one complaint it was that

we needed more Benson and Troy, those two were adorable together.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I still can't wrap my head around why this show never took off like a rocket. You don't really see it anywhere.

My daughter and I just finished s3.
all the singing, dancing, laughing and tears these 30 episodes brought us in 2020 - it's been wonderful. The heart, courage, characters, diversity, the relevancy for 2020, the incredible music and animation.

not ready to say goodbye

(I can't get my daughter to sit through an episode of she ra, which I like, but t's Kipo all the way with her and I tend to agree with her that I find it overall more mature and engaging)

Last edited:

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Really enjoyed both S3 and how things wrapped up. A few minor complaints here and there, but how things worked out including some of the big stuff in the final episode felt right with the ton the show was going for from the start.

Some of the plotlines being dropped or pushed into the background kind of felt like that, but I'm glad they were able to get as much as they could into this 10 episode run.

While I think the early Hugo stuff felt a bit forced, the changes he had made by the end of the season felt right from an overall story perspective. The split as well with Hugo finally putting his hate behind him juxtaposed with Amelia being incapable of it was a good touch. On Amelia, I think the big takeaway was that she wouldn't stop until she reached her goals and that those were forced on her by her father. It highlights that hate can be easily learned or adopted by parents, but interacting with people different than can make that hate seem dumb and pointless. I would have loved more time with her and Liam, but I think it got across that Liam was open to and didn't adopt his fathers hate and biases while Amelia fell deep into them for the approval of her father.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Really liked the show. Have been recommending to friends and such who are into cartoons, or have kids into things like that, lol.

I shan't discuss spoilers, but glad I stick with it. C:

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Is this suitable for children? 5 & 7 ?

Edit: Internet says from 7, but wondered about people's personal opinons.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Is this suitable for children? 5 & 7 ?

Edit: Internet says from 7, but wondered about people's personal opinons.

My kid is just shy of 3 and she loves it!

I blame COVID mostly for the forced tv habits she now has, but the show is so vividly imaginative she loves it (and all the music.)

though there are characters who die in S3, If that's a concern. No blood or on screen deaths or any of that, just sad

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Was a tad rushed in some aspects, and Emilia was still a pretty weak antagonist, but all in all it was a good season.

Overall this was a wonderful show, I'm glad it was recommended to me. From the awesome soundtrack to the vibrant setting (best apocalypse setting ever) to the PoC leads, it really fit my tastes. Even got two of my friends into it.

Kind of wild we got the entire series all in the same year

The whole vaccine storyline never going anywhere was weird, especially with there being a timeskip. At the same time, I liked that there effectively was permanent consequences as far we're concerned. Seeing characters like Yumyan lose their sentience was rough to watch.

Also damn, ngl, I'd rather lose my mind than be stuck with that orange blob kid as a prisoner. He is by far the scariest thing in this series, actually had me feeling bad for Emilia lol.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I only heard about this 2 days ago, halfway through S1 and already love it. How did this go so under the radar? It's so damn good.

Watching this, She-Ra and Avatar:TLA this year has been a good decision.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

seems the season 3 mixtape hit a few days ago.

I only heard about this 2 days ago, halfway through S1 and already love it. How did this go so under the radar? It's so damn good.

Watching this, She-Ra and Avatar:TLA this year has been a good decision.
It makes me sad no one really noticed Kipo. Glitchtechs needs more love too.

Oct 26, 2017
Good ass ending. It would have been interesting to see more of the world beyind the limited city we see but honestly the show tied up all of its loose ends fairly satisfyingly. Wolf and Benson are two characters I'll forever love for actually existing. Never thought we'd get that kind of expliciy black gay rep anytime soon. Kipo is sweet too, but the real standout is Dave's crazy ass origin story like wtf.

Also, this is pretty horrific.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy

seems the season 3 mixtape hit a few days ago.

It makes me sad no one really noticed Kipo. Glitchtechs needs more love too.

i have access to a streaming tracking tool, and I got curious - the show isn't even in the database which unfortunately makes me think it hasn't really caught on very widely :(

Here's hoping the critical reception being so strong gives it some word of mouth legs, the creative team really wants to do more but Netflix passed, someone else will have to pick it up.

HBO Max grabbed Accenture time, so here's hoping haha

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
Good ass ending. It would have been interesting to see more of the world beyind the limited city we see but honestly the show tied up all of its loose ends fairly satisfyingly. Wolf and Benson are two characters I'll forever love for actually existing. Never thought we'd get that kind of expliciy black gay rep anytime soon. Kipo is sweet too, but the real standout is Dave's crazy ass origin story like wtf.

Also, this is pretty horrific.

Holy fuck that's terrifying. Also,
I was really surprised the vaccine never showed up after the time skip. The way the episode played it out made it seem like it was close to being solved. And yeah Hugo's redemption was a bit rushed and almost unbelievable.
Overall I thought the series was good, though not quite up there compared to other Netflix shows like She-Ra and Dragon Prince.