• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where will Dreams end up?

• 95+

Votes: 201 11.8%
  • 90-95

Votes: 774 45.4%
  • 85-90

Votes: 374 21.9%
  • 80-85

Votes: 192 11.3%
  • 75-80

Votes: 88 5.2%
  • 70-75

Votes: 35 2.1%
  • Under 70

Votes: 41 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Digital Chumps - 90
digitalchumps.com

Dreams | digitalchumps

Well, welcome back, Media Molecule. We have missed you tremendously. It has been a few years since Media Molecule has brought out a creatively flavored game. My son and I have played Little Big Planet to death over the last few years and were hoping to see something from the developers again...

Dreams is a marvel from Media Molecule. It's another cog in their creative machine that takes game creation to another level. Does it have room to grow? Lord, yes, especially in controls, but it offers up an outlet for non-coders to make their gaming dreams a reality.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
always was interested in this game, but other similiar "creative" games never managed to hold my attention for long despite liking the idea, both on the creator side and on the player side

i think only one was mario maker

Oct 27, 2017
oLUtEDH.png

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a big fan of Media Molecule (though I greatly respect their creativity and ambition), but this just looks too special to pass up. Really happy to see it's only $40, which makes it much easier for me to take a risk on.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
soooo just to double check this is completely playable and worth it if i don't intend on creating levels?

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations to MM.

What are the chances we get a full game, Developed Within Dreams(tm), for PS5?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer Italy 9/10
www.eurogamer.it

Dreams - recensione

Dreams per PS4 è il miglior editor di videogiochi in circolazione, un progetto visionario che non deve passare inosservato.

Multiplayer.it 8.5/10
multiplayer.it

Dreams, la recensione

Media Molecule ci regala un vero e proprio inno alla creatività, dove il videogioco è soltanto una delle tante possibilità a nostra disposizione. Ecco la nostra recensione di Dreams

A few more ghostcrew

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eurogamer Italy 9/10
www.eurogamer.it

Dreams - recensione

Dreams per PS4 è il miglior editor di videogiochi in circolazione, un progetto visionario che non deve passare inosservato.

Multiplayer.it 8.5/10
multiplayer.it

Dreams, la recensione

Media Molecule ci regala un vero e proprio inno alla creatività, dove il videogioco è soltanto una delle tante possibilità a nostra disposizione. Ecco la nostra recensione di Dreams

So there is literally no score bellow 8.5 until now, right? That is crazy...

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
MM are so talented part of me wishes they had just made a regular 20hr single player game,lol.This type of experience really isn't my thing these days.....but of course that's just me being selfish,the game is obviously incredible and many will get a lot out of it for years to come.Congrats MM!

Oct 26, 2017
MM are so talented part of me wishes they had just made a regular 20hr single player game,lol.This type of experience really isn't my thing these days.....but of course that's just me being selfish,the game is obviously incredible and many will get a lot out of it for years to come.Congrats MM!

Well, I've gotten much more than 20 hours out of it just creating, and probably coming up on 20 hours dreamsurfing so far, so they made the right choice.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Instead of allowing creations to be sold on PSN, I'd prefer if they just added a tipping system within the game, so that content creators could get paid without having to sell their creations or without people being forced to pay to play the content.

Yep, this is what I would prefer to see if they're looking into monetization. Basically the itch.io method (And, yes, I know it's not all tips-based on itch.io).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's somewhat what Tearaway was, though even that they did a lot of unique stuff with both the Vita version and Unfolded. The thing with MM is they always like to push the boundaries and do something ambitious, so it would be a waste to have such a talented team doing normal SP campaigns.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
That's somewhat what Tearaway was, though even that they did a lot of unique stuff with both the Vita version and Unfolded. The thing with MM is they always like to push the boundaries and do something ambitious, so it would be a waste to have such a talented team doing normal SP campaigns.
Yea,you're right.I played Tearaway Unfolded not long ago too...it was great.

Oct 27, 2017
Update: kid grabbed one of those Mario models and made a quick 3D platforming level prototype, after taking the tutorials to learn how some of the visual programming tools work. It's basically just Mario jumping on cube blocks separated in space, but one of the blocks is always rotating around, and a couple of the blocks will drop when Mario steps on them. A few other blocks will move around on their own once Mario steps on them.

Gameplay-wise, the level is nothing earth-shattering obviously. But just getting to work through and understand the visual programming tools, the logic connections, and making things amimate and react - all in one afternoon - is pretty good.

After coming from, say, Disney Infinity, level-building is much more fluid. The building blocks in Dreams are composed of whatever-you-want, basically, rather than pre-defined sections and cutouts from something like Disney Infinity or some other level editors. So you have to think about shapes and properties more spatially, but your creations look more custom earlier in the construction process.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Dreams reminds me of downloading libraries of shareware game. It s fun random wild ride of complete shit and some truly cool stuff.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
After coming from, say, Disney Infinity, level-building is much more fluid. The building blocks in Dreams are composed of whatever-you-want, basically, rather than pre-defined sections and cutouts from something like Disney Infinity or some other level editors. So you have to think about shapes and properties more spatially, but your creations look more custom earlier in the construction process.

Never played DI, but I imagine the core difference is that DI is designed from the ground up to sell you stuff, whereas Dreams was designed from the ground up to enable pure creativity and collaboration with others.

Dreams reminds me of downloading libraries of shareware game. It s fun random wild ride of complete shit and some truly cool stuff.

It definitely does... I do hope they eventually allow the option to monetize though. I've heard the arguments against it for a long time, but still feel that people should be given the choice to get something back for the enjoyment they give others while making a little something to help pay the bills.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I've been saying it's a giant continuously-updated minigame collection but I like the way you put it better because a lot of these creations are more fleshed out than simple minigames.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017

Totally! I can see this becoming my daily routine after dinner, just browsing through the catalogue for a bit and trying some stuff.
I just played a Simpsons Hit and Run dream. Very basic yet, but a simpsons game would be amazing!
I can't wait what Dreams will bring.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Pretty surprising, wow. I might pick this up way down the line when more elaborate things are being made, if people consistently make things it's a game that will just get better over time.

I was mostly just interested in horror experiences but all the ones I've seen videos of have looked pretty awful so far.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at the overwhelmingly positive reviews. Not because I thought the game would be bad or mediocre, but I expected a lot of reviews to kinda just shrug it off for not having much single player content and mainly being 'just' an engine for the player to muck around in. Seems like all the years in development have paid off for MM though.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Surprised at the overwhelmingly positive reviews. Not because I thought the game would be bad or mediocre, but I expected a lot of reviews to kinda just shrug it off for not having much single player content and mainly being 'just' an engine for the player to muck around in. Seems like all the years in development have paid off for MM though.
It has a ton of single player content, that is what the early access was for after all.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Can you make private levels? Only allowing friends, or those with a code or something to play them?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
It's clear this game is a long term plan. Loving the creations I've seen so far!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Isn't the single player campaign only like two hours or something? I think I read that somewhere. Either way, hats off to MM. Not my type of game, but they seem to have made an extremely powerful creative tool.
yea i just played through it today , its like 2~3 hours, but those few hours are managed really well, however, i dont think you should look at Art's Dream as the single player compnent and the rest as extra modes, its just MM showing what you can do with the tools and give players the inspiration to create themselves, you have a lot more single player content to play via the creations of others.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the single player campaign only like two hours or something? I think I read that somewhere. Either way, hats off to MM. Not my type of game, but they seem to have made an extremely powerful creative tool.
Art's Dream is 2-3 hours long, and it kinda is an easing in to the possibilities and some concepts, a showpiece, but it's not their only offering in isolation, the mm team have made dozens of other Dreams. The real "campain" is the suite of reworked and new tutorials, and as such that's going to be an ongoing process, too. It's not like LBP where there was a game that came with tools to produce your own levels in the same genre (despite plenty of people trying to break that as much as possible), Dreams is the suite of tools, the website and the whole framework that goes in to presenting it and making it work on a social level first, and the Dreams, including Art's Dream, follow on from that.