• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where will Dreams end up?

• 95+

Votes: 201 11.8%
  • 90-95

Votes: 774 45.4%
  • 85-90

Votes: 374 21.9%
  • 80-85

Votes: 192 11.3%
  • 75-80

Votes: 88 5.2%
  • 70-75

Votes: 35 2.1%
  • Under 70

Votes: 41 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I get a PS4/5 I'm defintely picking up Dreams. I've been following some of the creations and they are freaking incredible, the tools look fun to play with as well :)

The benefit of not having to make everything from scratch and you can just take and adjust something you like from someone else's creation is genius (Don't worry, they get to share in the credits! So if you make something great it's gonna get used!) .

Best creation I've seen is the one with the derpy Godzilla parody blowing stuff up, but I forgot the name of it.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
I mean even if this game inst for you, they are basically selling a completely user friendly game engine and the infinite playable creations which for value, replay-ability and general entertainment is amazing. I guess if I was reviewing it the only things that would hamper the score is how easy it is to be able to use those tools and share your creations... if they nailed that (which it looks like they did) it would probably be dis ingenuous to review it badly. Hopefully it translates into sales for MM and the company sees the spoils of their hard work and amazing idea

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
"a game where people create content for other plays to play and enjoy" is too vague. If this is the main message the marketing is pushing, it proves my point. It will be hard to sell.
Reviews can make a better job, explaining how easy and fast is the creation process in comparison to other engines.

But you guys can't accept any criticism on the marketing.

Its a user friendly game engine where people create content from games to movies to music for other people to enjoy at their leisure or build off. I was trying to be simplistic with my first response because you, among others, act like this is a new or obtuse thing for games when there are tons of games focused on creation by players for others to play, including some of the most popular games in existence like Minecraft and Roblox.

The marketing has issues but again, feels like some of you want to go out of your way to act ignorant about what this game is when there are tons of comparisons, like the games that proceeded it by the very same developer.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Is this game worth it just to play other peoples stuff? I haven;t got the time and patience to make stuff as much as I'd like to.
Kinda depends on your expectations I think. For me I haven't seen any games in Dreams that I'd actually play as a standalone game. For the most part my reaction has been like "damn, it's super impressive that they were able to create this in Dreams but also I'm probably never going to play this creation again."

I almost view it like a massive continuously-updated minigame collection that has a surprising amount of variety (though calling some of the games people have created "mini"games might be selling them short). If you're good with that I'd say go for it.

For anyone who's tried the early access, is this game fun for younger kids? Was thinking of picking up lbp3 for my 6 year old, should I considers dreams instead?

I don't think there's any way a 6 year old would have the ability or patience to learn the creation tools because it's pretty complex time-consuming stuff. He/she could have fun playing all of the other creations people have made though (see the above part of my post). I don't know anything about the new story mode.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, absolutely. Someone has been making a PT remake in Dreams and was able to record sounds/radio directly from the original for use in their project.

Doing from scratch sounds like even more fun.

That sounds like a lotta fun. I'm going to keep my eye on this game for the next few weeks.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For anyone who's tried the early access, is this game fun for younger kids? Was thinking of picking up lbp3 for my 6 year old, should I considers dreams instead?
With you monitoring it should be fine, at least playing I don't know creation, but if your kid is into creating they can branch as they grow.

I let my 12 year old niece play with it, the tools are too much for her (granted she's not super creative either) but she loves dreamsurfing.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It will review very well, but it won't show up in most outlets' serious GOTY contenders. (serious GOTY contender = top 5 in a top 10 list)

Last edited:

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Its a user friendly game engine where people create content from games to movies to music for other people to enjoy at their leisure or build off. I was trying to be simplistic with my first response because you, among others, act like this is a new or obtuse thing for games when there are tons of games focused on creation by players for others to play, including some of the most popular games in existence like Minecraft and Roblox.

The marketing has issues but again, feels like some of you want to go out of your way to act ignorant about what this game is when there are tons of comparisons, like the games that proceeded it by the very same developer.

The tons of games based on creation follow a base game or genre as a template. You know exactly what can be created if you know the base, and have a clear idea of how much effort is needed.
You can't make the same correlation about Dreams. Something as powerful and flexible as Dreams is new. Hence, we need a clear message to make people understand where it falls.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I think a few reviews will review it "as a game" and drag down the Metacritic a bit. Complain about the campaign length compared to LBP, replayability and put the user made levels against professional retail games. Sounds like they have accomplished something really great for those who want the entire package at least.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't booted up Dreams since I tried to create things in Early Access. Gonna have to give it a shot some time this month when I finish Pillars of Eternity 2.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gambit still suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks even in this thread. That's an under 70'er right there.

None of y'all better make Gambit in Dreams or I will verbally attack you.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
"a game where people create content for other plays to play and enjoy" is too vague. If this is the main message the marketing is pushing, it proves my point. It will be hard to sell.
Reviews can make a better job, explaining how easy and fast is the creation process in comparison to other engines.

But you guys can't accept any criticism on the marketing.

There's no way getting around it, Dreams is a difficult thing to market. Its not a game, it is a game, you can do anything in it.

Word of mouth and reviews and people talking about it is probably the only way you will get through to some people. A 2 minute trailer or anything from MM or Sony just seems to inadequate to explain, and people don't care for nor have time for lengthy explanations.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda annoyed that I sold my PS4 Pro few months ago. Especially since I already bought the Early Access version of Dreams ~a year ago. The campaign sounds intriguing.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gambit still suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks even in this thread. That's an under 70'er right there.

None of y'all better make Gambit in Dreams or I will verbally attack you.
th

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
There has been a lot of naysaying about whether this game will catch on and find it's audience. However, people need to remember that whether this will ultimately catch on long term is irrelevant to the score. Reviews will score the product that has been provided to the customer. You wouldn't give a great fighting game a bad score because you don't think people will learn the combos.

Dreams is an incredible, and original product....I'm loving it....And I can't make shit.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know what will convince the naysayers, but holy shit look at this by burgervan (or don't look at it, get Dreams and play it there).

www.youtube.com

Exclusive Preview Of Super Great Job Human | PSN Worthy | Dreams PS4 | QuickFix 224

Exclusive First Look At Super Great Job Human Coming Soon. QuickFix is a series in which I showcase standouts, innovative or jaw-dropping creations that I th...

Honestly... wow. I don't know if Dreams will be successful but it deserves to be.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
You have to keep an eye on them, as there are games such as jump scares and spoopy content. Also, bizarrely, and this is one of the few complaints I have about the game - they're so desperate to show that they're more mature than LBP that they throw some swearing into the Art's Dream campaign. I would rather they hadn't.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just a pessimist
I hear that. Pessimism is my way of life but I forced myself to flip it for Dreams due to mad soft spot for that MM creative genius. I need them to continue doing what they do because the gaming industry is sooo much more vibrant and beautiful with creative genius like that.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know what will convince the naysayers, but holy shit look at this by burgervan (or don't look at it, get Dreams and play it there).

www.youtube.com

Exclusive Preview Of Super Great Job Human | PSN Worthy | Dreams PS4 | QuickFix 224

Exclusive First Look At Super Great Job Human Coming Soon. QuickFix is a series in which I showcase standouts, innovative or jaw-dropping creations that I th...

Honestly... wow. I don't know if Dreams will be successful but it deserves to be.
Wow. Great Job Human was already super impressive, but that's amazing (especially that store)

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I hear that. Pessimism is my way of life but I forced myself to flip it for Dreams due to mad soft spot for that MM creative genius. I need them to continue doing what they do because the gaming industry is sooo much more vibrant and beautiful with creative genius like that.
LittleBigPlanet 2 is one of the greatest Ps3 games in my opinion and criminally underrated. But it never gets the attention that any other Ps3 exclusives ever got.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably the easiest 90+ you can guess outside of zelda/rockstar/ND games

game is def something special