• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Really excited for Dreams, but I'm predicting 86-88 meta at the end of the day. I just don't see it having a broad enough appeal for the wide range of reviewers.
The one thing that I feel can hurt reviews are forcing dated motion control as the only way to do anything. But I hear MM is working on entirely new control scheme without motion control so hopefully that will be ready soon.

As for the creation aspect, most reviewer probably won't grasp all the depth and complexity the tool provide so they will probably review it based on potential from what the community can make. Which we can already see, it's pretty amazing. So I believe most reviewer will rate it very highly

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I'm not calling into question the quality of this game, however OPM UK aren't exactly conservative with their 100's, so I wouldn't put much stock in this.

I think it'll be a very good game once it comes out of early access.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The community will make sure this gets 10s by the time it releases.

Someone posted this on Twitter the other day for their character made in Dreams.

Edit: My confusion within a Twitter thread.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Love that this game is getting good early impressions. There's so much focus on crafted narrative experiences from Sony (which are great), but games that encourage creativity and creation are IMO so needed in this market. Even the flawed ones have been important additions in my view. Minecraft, Roblox, LBP, Project Spark, Dreams. Excited to see some awesome things come out, thanks to MM really taking the time to polish these tools. I really wish Sony had put this on PS Now so I could play on PC :/ But. Whatever. Meh. Maybe if/when this becomes back compat on PS5.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
The community will make sure this gets 10s by the time it releases.

Someone posted this on Twitter the other day for their character made in Dreams.

...? That project is made in Unity and Blender, AFAIK. (See here and here.)

I get the hype, but try not to misreport someone's work in a completely separate engine as another "wow look at Dreams".

Deleted member 51797

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Ooh, I might still jump into the early access of this. I don't have that much interest in creating games, but I would love to craft my own pretty garden and hang around in it.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Man, if this game gets scores like this... kudos on Sony for believing in their vision all these years.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. Media Molecule has done an absolutely brilliant job in making an editor that is approchable while still being grand in scope and limitless in possibilities.

As a consumer, creating and learning alongside the community is such a treat. Dreams are getting better everyday, and new things are being discovered left and right. It is so fun seeing what is new and getting feedback on your latest update to your on-going project.

Easily my GOTY. Maybe GOTG.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Dreams is an easy 10 for me, I'm just smitten.

It's not even just playing the games themselves.

I like to sculpt props whilst listening to podcasts. I like checking out the weird amateur art projects. I like reading the funny user comments on my games ever day. I like spending way too long getting high scores on games that have been played by less than a hundred people.

It's just all so god damn cool to me! I'm gonna keep playing this forever....

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I get the hype, but try not to misreport someone's work in a completely separate engine as another "wow look at Dreams".
That looks great, but I don't think it's Dreams.

Shit, didn't mean to. This other video confused me because there's a similar environment to this in Dreams.

fSh9RHG.jpg

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Nooo, great movement and animation is one of the things I want to see much more of in Dreams. Watching that video got me sooo hyped. :(

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
Dreamsurf is basically the ultimate "game and chill" experience.
If Sony manages this game well I think they could have a big hit for this and next gen in their hands.
what is Dreamsurf and can i do it in VR?

i loved LBP back in the day and i haven't followed the development of Dreams at all.. i'll probably buy it without knowing basically anything about it, ready to have my mind blown.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, I was actually really impressed for a change

This seems at least as impressive to me, and this is in Dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC1DOvLdsks

what is Dreamsurf and can i do it in VR?

i loved LBP back in the day and i haven't followed the development of Dreams at all.. i'll probably buy it without knowing basically anything about it, ready to have my mind blown.

VR won't be available until launch. Dream surfing is the area of the game where you find dreams (ostensibly, games, stories and showcases) as opposed to dream shaping where you create and find the elements of dreams (scenes, sculptures, music, sounds, contraptions, characters). Auto-surfing is a feature where you are fed dreams from dream surfing automatically, allowing you to play one to your heart's content or skip forward whenever you like.

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
I get the feeling this is going to be another one of those wacky Sony-exclusives that are universally praised but disappoint in sales, like Tearaway and Puppeteer. Hope I'm wrong.

Oct 29, 2017
I get the feeling this is going to be another one of those wacky Sony-exclusives that are universally praised but disappoint in sales, like Tearaway and Puppeteer. Hope I'm wrong.
You're probably right but I think Sony really values the diversity that MM bring even if they don't bring in the revenue of ND, SSM or a few or the others.

And it should be valued, having such a varied portfolio for a first party is vital.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
OPM UK is a good magazine that isn't averse to marking games harshly so do not dismiss this review score out of hand just because it's an "official" magazine.

Congrats to Media Molecule!

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's definitely a 10/10. We're not reviewing it until the full game launches, but I've never been more confident in a score before.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan of Early Access reviews. Wait for the gold master that people will actually buy. And even though I love Dreams and have been using it since the beta, it has some rough edges and I'm not sure I'd give it a 10 right now. A 10 on concept and ambition, certainly, but on execution it's not quite there yet. But that's why it's still in EA and why it shouldn't be reviewed yet.

The idea of a gold master is outdated to begin with, but with a game that is entirely online driven and literally evolving by the minute, how and when would you review it? Now is as good a time as any.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Wondering whether this will just be loads of impressive tech demos and 'remakes' without there being anything actually worth playing, like LBP.

Also, do we think Nintendo will go after people trying to remake Mario games within Dreams and order them to stop?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Bit weird to me as the early access is only for a certain number of people and then it's gone. So they're basically reviewing a game that the majority of PS4 owners will not be able to play?!

Plus, though this one has done well the idea of reviewing early access titles doesn't sit easy with me. Most early access titles are put out so that the devs can test, reiterate, finesse and bug fix. Do you review that version and give it a low score even though you know that the bugs are (hopefully!) going to be fixed when it goes gold?

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Bit weird to me as the early access is only for a certain number of people and then it's gone. So they're basically reviewing a game that the majority of PS4 owners will not be able to play?!
Anyone can buy it right now. It's unlikely that it will become unavailable for sale between now and v1.0 too

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
The idea of a gold master is outdated to begin with, but with a game that is entirely online driven and literally evolving by the minute, how and when would you review it? Now is as good a time as any.

I think waiting until the full version is ready is the way to go. It will have a campaign and VR support. Surely they have to count for something.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

Yeah, also you can't make something like that in Dreams... yeah, I played Captain Shadow and stuff, those animations, deformation e polish isn't achievable in Dreams.
Jumps accuracy is another issue of Dreams (heavily influenced by physic and momentum).
I really like the tool but of course have it's limitation, you can't just make "everything", at least not on a Mario level, just to say a title.

Dreams if perfect for those neat ideas, those experiences that look like, as the title say, dreams... something out of the ordinary, this is where Dreams shine.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone can buy it right now. It's unlikely that it will become unavailable for sale between now and v1.0 too
Yes, that's what I think too. They just can't be 100% sure they'll be able to sell to everyone before the 1.0. They probably don't want to pull a Driveclub so they are being extra cautious.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sorry if it's been posted in here already, but Destructoid has a review too.

https://www.destructoid.com/early-access-review-dreams-551863.phtml

Most of all, I'm impressed Dreams is exactly what Media Molecule set out to make: a game that encourages a wide range of creative fields to come together and inspire each other day after day. Dreams reawakened something inside of me, and I hope it gets the support it deserves. I can see it fostering a generation of fledgling artists, designers, and musicians as they follow their passion.

i'm still not a believer in this product until proven otherwise.

Well the only way you can prove it to yourself is to play it and find out.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
i'm still not a believer in this product until proven otherwise.

What is there to prove, exactly?

Yup. Glad to see Dreams getting some good press but, I'm taking this with a lil pinch of salt.

They've only given out 36 10/10s (at least recorded on metacritic) in their publication history. But a lot of those are for Sony exclusives. But a lot of those exclusives are regarded as really good games (averaging > 90). And the nature of the magazine means you don't really have their scores for rival platform exclusives to compare to.

Last edited:

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
This is more of a sandbox and toolset than a game right? Like I like what I see but I wouldn't have the time to dedicate to building anything so I assume it won't be for me?

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I have a few issues with the score itself, but mainly given it's still in early access and many things can change.