• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You don't need to wire your main puppet up to every single enemy, you just need to make a small adjustment

One of the features of tags is that they know when they are being detected. What I would do is:
  • Have two tags on the enemy, one called "Line of sight", and the other called "Enemy"
  • Wire up the Line of Sight tag with the Enemy tag so that when the Line of sight one is being detected , it powers on the enemy tag.
  • On the mech you want the trigger zone to try and detect the line of sight tag, and the look at rotator try and find the enemy tag.

Using the line of sight/enemy tag setup that I've outlined above, you could have the line-of-sight trigger gadget power off the default look-at rotator when it detects a line of sight tag. Just run a NOT gadget out of the 'Is detected' tweak menu of the trigger gadget that powers the look-at-rotator.

Perfect, thank you! I had a feeling my logic was messier than it needed to be for enemies and you were right. Now I have a microchip that I can stick on anything and it becomes an enemy that my mech can "see" and target.

I have a few more trouble shooting questions left that have persisted since I started really. Lol.

So I have these guns mounted to my mech. But since day 1 I've had issues with the bullets and the logic driving their impacts and their damage output.

Currently it's a simple system where I've put a microchip on the bullet (which is a group containing the bullet itself (glowing sphere) and a trail of smoke (rockets) or small light trail (bullets)) which has a health modifier linked to a destroyer, and also has an impact sensor also linked to the same destroyer. My theory was that the bullet would "die" when it impacts with anything and also cause damage to anything with health...but it doesn't work.

My missiles hit surfaces but then wiggle about for a few seconds before dying. My bullets seem to be moving so fast (it's a minigun) that the bullets and trails just seem to pass right through. Sometimes off into the distance, other times only for a short while which indicates they are dying but it's delayed?

Is there a more foolproof solution to bullets dying on impact when they should? Because once that's fixed I can actually add some explosions and stuff for my rockets.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect, thank you! I had a feeling my logic was messier than it needed to be for enemies and you were right. Now I have a microchip that I can stick on anything and it becomes an enemy that my mech can "see" and target.

I have a few more trouble shooting questions left that have persisted since I started really. Lol.

So I have these guns mounted to my mech. But since day 1 I've had issues with the bullets and the logic driving their impacts and their damage output.

Currently it's a simple system where I've put a microchip on the bullet (which is a group containing the bullet itself (glowing sphere) and a trail of smoke (rockets) or small light trail (bullets)) which has a health modifier linked to a destroyer, and also has an impact sensor also linked to the same destroyer. My theory was that the bullet would "die" when it impacts with anything and also cause damage to anything with health...but it doesn't work.

My missiles hit surfaces but then wiggle about for a few seconds before dying. My bullets seem to be moving so fast (it's a minigun) that the bullets and trails just seem to pass right through. Sometimes off into the distance, other times only for a short while which indicates they are dying but it's delayed?

Is there a more foolproof solution to bullets dying on impact when they should? Because once that's fixed I can actually add some explosions and stuff for my rockets.

No problems.

Hmm,

So I think the impact sensor is kind of redundant here. You should be able to just attach a health modifier to the bullet, chuck it on per-hit mode, and then plug the 'currently modifying' tweak menu option into a destroyer so that as soon as the bullet deals damage it is destroyed.

This is the setup I'm using for the game I'm currently working on, and I haven't had any hit detection issues. If the above doesn't work you might have to do some trouble-shooting to figure out why the health modifier isn't activating the health manager on the enemy.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Oh My God official PlayStation started promoting a game made inside Dreams:

This is insane.

I wonder what other very polished creations will look like.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No problems.

Hmm,

So I think the impact sensor is kind of redundant here. You should be able to just attach a health modifier to the bullet, chuck it on per-hit mode, and then plug the 'currently modifying' tweak menu option into a destroyer so that as soon as the bullet deals damage it is destroyed.

This is the setup I'm using for the game I'm currently working on, and I haven't had any hit detection issues. If the above doesn't work you might have to do some trouble-shooting to figure out why the health modifier isn't activating the health manager on the enemy.

i'm using (or attempting to us lol) the impact sensor so projectiles can impact the environment. i don't want my bullets going through objects or buildings, i want them to hit them and emit an explosion when they are destroyed (in the case of the rockets) and it SEEMED like a logical way to do it. make the rocket die as it hits the surface of any object which will then emit an explosion effect at the point of contact. maybe there's a better way to go about it because currently my bullets either pass through objects slightly before being destroyed, or they hit the surface of an object and linger for a couple seconds.

i'll trouble shoot some things tonight see if it's something specific causing it. i do have a follow sensor i think it's called on the rockets too, which lets them home in slightly on enemy targets. it's a cool effect, but it might be that which is causing my rocket woes. it does sometimes cause the missiles to orbit around a target too, but that shouldn't be an issue when i make some actual, larger enemies. currently my test targets are small boxes.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am looking forward to the weekend coming, and payday with it, so I can pick this up and get started with the exploration of people's creations and starting with putting my own ideas in place.

I have some questions though and haven't really been free to put a lot of research time into them. Are there "templates" for the different types of games one can create? Like is there a pre-defined set of rules for something like a first person shooter, a racing game, a platformer, etc? It just seems like it would be overwhelming to start from nothing and have to tell the entire engine how to handle things, set what the objective is, how the world works, etc.

I have some programming experience but nothing related to game development. Is this more like Mario Maker (obviously a LOT more complex) in that the game's basic rules are set and you build around them, or on another level entirely?

Oct 26, 2017
I am looking forward to the weekend coming, and payday with it, so I can pick this up and get started with the exploration of people's creations and starting with putting my own ideas in place.

I have some questions though and haven't really been free to put a lot of research time into them. Are there "templates" for the different types of games one can create? Like is there a pre-defined set of rules for something like a first person shooter, a racing game, a platformer, etc? It just seems like it would be overwhelming to start from nothing and have to tell the entire engine how to handle things, set what the objective is, how the world works, etc.

I have some programming experience but nothing related to game development. Is this more like Mario Maker (obviously a LOT more complex) in that the game's basic rules are set and you build around them, or on another level entirely?

There are a couple, and if games are remixable you could just find one you like and strip it down. There is now an option to restrict a puppet to 2D (2.5D really), but you still need to restrict everything else. I'm finding out that it still needs a ton of work.

Or you could wait for me to finish my puppet, I intend to make it remixable once it has enough features to get going.

You can entirely decide the rules, or have no rules. You get the game physics and collision detection for free, the challenge is more often the opposite, to turn these off for a specific use scenario.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Dreams players: ooh VR and multiplayer roadmap!

Mm: next month we will slightly adjust the wording on the help page

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm messing around in my homespace making pillars out of the cylinder shapes.

I have two normal cylinders on top of one another, with a 150% sized on top.

I want to group these so I can copy the entire thing, but it's not letting me.

Are you not able to group these objects?

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There are a couple, and if games are remixable you could just find one you like and strip it down. There is now an option to restrict a puppet to 2D (2.5D really), but you still need to restrict everything else. I'm finding out that it still needs a ton of work.

That's kind of what I thought, and part of what makes this project so fascinating when you see people making pinball games, walking sims, platformers, and so much more with it. I want to try making some kind of Outrun/Top Gear style racer, and some kind of tank combat game as starter projects. Just wondering what that's going to entail or be like.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No problems.

Hmm,

So I did some tests. And while I don't think this is causing the impact issue. It is an issue you might have a solution to (sorry if I'm asking too many questions btw)

When I set up my gun. I used an advanced mover on the bullet so that it travelled on a fixed axis allowing me to have slow moving, straight firing bullets that don't arch. But now my emitter is being affected by a look at rotator, I've noticed the bullets are actually still limited by the advanced mover. If a target is high. My mech will look at it. Shoot it's missiles, but they will level out again due to the axis limiter if the advanced mover.

Is there another tool that would let my bullets shoot straight without limiting its axis or making them emit at a faster rate?

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm messing around in my homespace making pillars out of the cylinder shapes.

I have two normal cylinders on top of one another, with a 150% sized on top.

I want to group these so I can copy the entire thing, but it's not letting me.

Are you not able to group these objects?

From what I've gathered, there aren't many grouping/sculpting options in the Homespace versus in an actual scene. You are limited to MM created assets and prize unlocks I believe?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've gathered, there aren't many grouping/sculpting options in the Homespace versus in an actual scene. You are limited to MM created assets and prize unlocks I believe?
Okay, cool, just making sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

I wonder why they did this, really does feel like it's missing from the homespace.

Thanks for letting me know!

Oct 26, 2017
So I did some tests. And while I don't think this is causing the impact issue. It is an issue you might have a solution to (sorry if I'm asking too many questions btw)

When I set up my gun. I used an advanced mover on the bullet so that it travelled on a fixed axis allowing me to have slow moving, straight firing bullets that don't arch. But now my emitter is being affected by a look at rotator, I've noticed the bullets are actually still limited by the advanced mover. If a target is high. My mech will look at it. Shoot it's missiles, but they will level out again due to the axis limiter if the advanced mover.

Is there another tool that would let my bullets shoot straight without limiting its axis or making them emit at a faster rate?

Turn off gravity on the sculpt of the bullet. For emitting speed, you can set that on the emitter itself but generally there should be a limit to how many are active at once or you'll get slowdown.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I am surely someone already posted about it, but I gotta say, 'Opposite Day' was the first dream that actually made me laugh:

There's a moment in which you can access a 'Opposite Day' museum and you can press triangle to hear the commentary, and the commentary is onlye "Blahblahblahblah". It took me by surprise and legit made me laugh out loud

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I have Move controllers now, so I can finally get stuck into sculpting.
Is there a tutorial on basic navigation with them? I only had a quick try of them, and I couldn't figure out how to move along the Z axis lol.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So I'm making a simple parcour platform thingie with pick ups.
I've already got it set up so it records the time and the number of collectibles picked up, but now I want to set it up so that every pick up takes 0.5 seconds of the time.
Any suggestions how to do that?
Should be fairly easy, but I just can't seem to make it work.

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm making a simple parcour platform thingie with pick ups.
I've already got it set up so it records the time and the number of collectibles picked up, but now I want to set it up so that every pick up takes 0.5 seconds of the time.
Any suggestions how to do that?
Should be fairly easy, but I just can't seem to make it work.

Make time a regular variable and use the variable modifier connected to every pickup.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips on ranking up quickly with the dreamer level

RyanBankz

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I am surely someone already posted about it, but I gotta say, 'Opposite Day' was the first dream that actually made me laugh:

There's a moment in which you can access a 'Opposite Day' museum and you can press triangle to hear the commentary, and the commentary is onlye "Blahblahblahblah". It took me by surprise and legit made me laugh out loud

The game is actually beatable?! I was playing day 2 & I quit because I thought it was a troll game with no real way to win lol

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

WHAT'S UP DANGER

This kind of stuff reminds me of old Sesame Street clips...

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Another day, another question.

So I want a thruster flame effect when I double jump. I've made the effect. And I assumed you would just make a wire that connects the double jump command to an emitter that emits the thruster effect...and it does work, but the flame is left at the point it is emitted and I can't seem to make it move with the mech? I've scoped in to various layers of my mech to stick it there and it doesn't make a difference. Any advice?

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
I have Move controllers now, so I can finally get stuck into sculpting.
Is there a tutorial on basic navigation with them? I only had a quick try of them, and I couldn't figure out how to move along the Z axis lol.
There is a Move controllers tutorial section and it has some basic nav in the first ones.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
i'm using (or attempting to us lol) the impact sensor so projectiles can impact the environment. i don't want my bullets going through objects or buildings, i want them to hit them and emit an explosion when they are destroyed (in the case of the rockets) and it SEEMED like a logical way to do it. make the rocket die as it hits the surface of any object which will then emit an explosion effect at the point of contact. maybe there's a better way to go about it because currently my bullets either pass through objects slightly before being destroyed, or they hit the surface of an object and linger for a couple seconds.
Ahh okay yeah that does makes sense to use the impact sensor then.

On the topic of hit-detection:
Note that I am wading into territory that is slightly beyond my abilities (literally everything i know about this topic is from a gamemaker tutorial I saw on Youtube a few years ago) but I have some thoughts regarding your hit-detection issue. Assuming you haven't made any errors in your settings, you may be kind of running up against the limits of the physics engine.

So how hit-detection works in every game engine (as far as i know!) is that every frame the game checks if your object is in the trigger zone.

Here's an example
  • Frame 1, time = 0 seconds
    • (not in trigger zone) bullet is heading towards the target
  • Frame 2, time = 33ms
    • (in trigger zone) bullet is on top of the target and so the hit is detected.
  • Frame 3, time = 66ms
    • (not in trigger zone) bullet is heading away from the target
This works totally fine in most cases, but tends to break down at high speeds.

This is because the frame rate is not infinite and in Dreams only updates (I believe) every 33 milliseconds . This means that if the projectile is going really fast, it might actually pass through the target without triggering anything. Here's how it would look:
  • Frame 2, time = 33ms
Note that at no instant in time is the bullet ever in the trigger zone, and so nothing can be detected.

You can easily replicate this effect in Dreams by firing a cube at high speeds at a solid object, and watch it clip right on through.

So there are numerous solutions to fix this, here are a couple that i can think of in order from easiest to hardest:
  • You could simply make the bullets a bit slower and make the trigger zone on them longer.
  • Make the guns hit-scan weapons (aka the bullets have zero travel time and arrive instantaneously) instead of actual projectiles. You could 'fire' (aka turn on) a really long trigger zone that detects tags on the enemy.
  • You can have the bullets anticipate ahead of time whether they are likely to pass through objects in the next frame. This would involve calculating the distance that is travelled per frame, and having a laser scope look ahead to see whether the distance to the target is less than the distance-per-frame figure.

i'll trouble shoot some things tonight see if it's something specific causing it. i do have a follow sensor i think it's called on the rockets too, which lets them home in slightly on enemy targets. it's a cool effect, but it might be that which is causing my rocket woes. it does sometimes cause the missiles to orbit around a target too, but that shouldn't be an issue when i make some actual, larger enemies. currently my test targets are small boxes.
This is kind of funny because the follower operates A lot like how gravity does, hence why when absent of any other external force it somewhat unintuitively produces an orbit pattern. You'll probably just have to increase the strength of the follower to make it hit the target.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ahh okay yeah that does makes sense to use the impact sensor then.

On the topic of hit-detection:
Note that I am wading into territory that is slightly beyond my abilities (literally everything i know about this topic is from a gamemaker tutorial I saw on Youtube a few years ago) but I have some thoughts regarding your hit-detection issue. Assuming you haven't made any errors in your settings, you may be kind of running up against the limits of the physics engine.

So how hit-detection works in every game engine (as far as i know!) is that every frame the game checks if your object is in the trigger zone.

Here's an example
  • Frame 2, time = 33ms
    • (in trigger zone) bullet is on top of the target and so the hit is detected.
  • Frame 3, time = 66ms
This works totally fine in most cases, but tends to break down at high speeds.

This is because the frame rate is not infinite and in Dreams only updates (I believe) every 33 milliseconds . This means that if the projectile is going really fast, it might actually pass through the target without triggering anything. Here's how it would look:
  • Frame 2, time = 33ms
Note that at no instant in time is the bullet ever in the trigger zone, and so nothing can be detected.

You can easily replicate this effect in Dreams by firing a cube at high speeds at a solid object, and watch it clip right on through.

So there are numerous solutions to fix this, here are a couple that i can think of in order from easiest to hardest:
  • You could simply make the bullets a bit slower and make the trigger zone on them longer.
  • Make the guns hit-scan weapons (aka the bullets have zero travel time and arrive instantaneously) instead of actual projectiles. You could 'fire' (aka turn on) a really long trigger zone that detects tags on the enemy.
  • You can have the bullets anticipate ahead of time whether they are likely to pass through objects in the next frame. This would involve calculating the distance that is travelled per frame, and having a laser scope look ahead to see whether the distance to the target is less than the distance-per-frame figure.

This is kind of funny because the follower operates A lot like how gravity does, hence why when absent of any other external force it somewhat unintuitively produces an orbit pattern. You'll probably just have to increase the strength of the follower to make it hit the target.

That all makes a lot of sense. I've managed to fix all the impact issues I was having with my slower moving missiles, but I've had to slow my bullets down a little and I think the results are a good balance between what I ideally would like and it visually looking nice. I did see a tutorial covering a calculated impact system which I might try too.

Do you happen to know how to do a fired thruster effect? I tried wiring the double jump character action output to an emitter with the thruster effect I painted and animated. But it just leaves the flame effect floating in the air and doesn't move with the mech? Tried scoping in and all sorts and I just can't make the emitted object stick.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Another day, another question.

So I want a thruster flame effect when I double jump. I've made the effect. And I assumed you would just make a wire that connects the double jump command to an emitter that emits the thruster effect...and it does work, but the flame is left at the point it is emitted and I can't seem to make it move with the mech? I've scoped in to various layers of my mech to stick it there and it doesn't make a difference. Any advice?

Don't emit it. Attach it permanently to the feet or wherever it should be, then power it off via its tweek menu and only power it on when double jumping.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Jumping back in this weekend to have some fun, Just thinking about movement being away from it so long forgot alot of stuff do wish i had more time

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The game I'm making isn't anything to write home about, but sweet lord I'm having a ton of fun with it.
Taking an idea and making it work is so satisfying, as is the whole process of fine tuning, problem solving etc....

Dreams is going to be a serious GOTY contender for me, even with all the juggernauts that are going to be released this year.....

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I love slurm Mackenzie. Such good logic stuff. 'Do robots dream of electric imps' is very zachtronics style