• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I need some help. I finally made my non-bidepal waddling character into a puppet. He waddles almost perfectly! I used the dynamic puppet as the base and placed my character on it. The issue I'm now having is that when I push forward the character moves as it should, but when I let off the thumbstick the character slides about five feet before finally stopping. I thought it might have to do with the Deceleration setting of the puppet, but moving it down to 0 did nothing. Any ideas here?

I think the higher you set the deceleration, the quicker your character stops.

DLH

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to completely disable physics/collision on objects connected by a bolt connector, so that they are only affected by keyframe animation and nothing else?

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
I forgot to post this here the place I actually post most of my internet posting, but this ended up being my entry for the Love community jam last week.
FKUPmA1.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments on the wip character from you guys because they definitely helped motivate me after I hit that darned wall of doubt. Unfortunately the scene wasn't as extensive as I originally planned and didn't have all of the cool camera stuff I was planning but I'm still happy with my efforts.

I'm still planning to release the character and van as remixable but I'm kind of waiting for all of this PDP asset reposting/repackaging shenanigans is over. At least it gives me time to polish off some extra animations.
I've been hitting up the community jam voting to try and get your hippo, but alas all I got was trash. There is so much spam there its disappointing.

Anyway I found your hippo outside of the jam and gave it a like. Its a very lovely creation. Good job.

Nov 2, 2018
I don't know I missed The Pilgrim but it has like 20,000 likes, its the winner of last months community jam and in my opinion is probably the closest community level to A Media Molecule creation - the changing genres reminded me a lot of Arts Dreams:

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I've been adding games to the "play later" qeue, but after I played them, and I come back later, they've disappeared down the list. Is there a way to make "best of" playlists for showing off to friends later, or replaying?

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I've been adding games to the "play later" qeue, but after I played them, and I come back later, they've disappeared down the list. Is there a way to make "best of" playlists for showing off to friends later, or replaying?
i would go all the way to the bottom to the recently played and add those games to a collection.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent a lot of time with Dreams since it was released. I wasn't part of early access so everything was new to me when i bought the game at release. I played the campaign, checked out a few of the highest rated games but spent most of my time in the audio-visual and showcase category. I didn't create anything myself. According to my stats, i spent more than 50 hours on Dreams already but that does seem a tad too high (i wonder if the in game tracker is accurate).

In short, i had a lot of fun with Dreams so far. In many ways, it exceeded my expectations. I'm amazed at some of the audio visual creations that have been made with the engine. Granted, you have to do a bit of searching to find the more interesting things but the best way to do this is to follow your favourite creators (i have about 45 at the moment) and check out the things they follow/thumb up.

That being said, there are a few things to note. Maybe it's because i haven't played enough games yet, but at this point i'm not sure if i would recommend Dreams to someone who is only interested in playing games. The campaign is very short and the best user created games are mostly concepts or nicely realised but short demos, amongst a sea of rip-offs of questionable quality. Since it takes a lot more time to do a game than an audio-visual/music/painting piece, i assume the quality will get even better in the future.

Also, while i feel Dreams released at a good time, without any big games releasing at the same time, i'm rather surprised at how few votes some of the best creations are getting. I assume this didn't sell all that well? A proper game from Media Molecule with a likeable and memorable cast of characters (see LBP) would most probably have helped boosting those initial sales. Luckily for Media Molecule, they have a few new opportunities soon with VR and the launch of PS5.

There is also, as already discussed in this thread, the issue of good creations being drowned in a pool of mediocre to bad rip-offs of existing IP's. But that is an issue that comes with every creation tool, i guess. The trending tab is swamped with it. Meanwhile, original and good quality content is being overlooked and ignored. While many creators doing these quick rip-offs will probably dissapear once new games come out, it will most probably also result in good creators making original content leaving due to lack of feedback and the frustration of seeing all these quickly made games based on existing franchises doing so well. Also, i'm not saying every user created content inspired by an existing IP is bad.

It's going to be interesting to see how Dreams evolves, with VR and the PS5 release. I feel it does need more content made by Media Molecule (a re-imagining of LBP for example would probably be popular, maybe this time in 3D). But i'm having a lot of fun with Dreams right now and will keep checking out new content regularly if good content keeps on being released. It's going to be fascinating to see how this thing grows now that the game is out there and Media Molecule can focus on improving it and providing some content themselves. But yes, i'm glad i've bought it, despite the reservations i had.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I've spent a lot of time with Dreams since it was released. I wasn't part of early access so everything was new to me when i bought the game at release. I played the campaign, checked out a few of the highest rated games but spent most of my time in the audio-visual and showcase category. I didn't create anything myself. According to my stats, i spent more than 50 hours on Dreams already but that does seem a tad too high (i wonder if the in game tracker is accurate).

In short, i had a lot of fun with Dreams so far. In many ways, it exceeded my expectations. I'm amazed at some of the audio visual creations that have been made with the engine. Granted, you have to do a bit of searching to find the more interesting things but the best way to do this is to follow your favourite creators (i have about 45 at the moment) and check out the things they follow/thumb up.

That being said, there are a few things to note. Maybe it's because i haven't played enough games yet, but at this point i'm not sure if i would recommend Dreams to someone who is only interested in playing games. The campaign is very short and the best user created games are mostly concepts or nicely realised but short demos, amongst a sea of rip-offs of questionable quality. Since it takes a lot more time to do a game than an audio-visual/music/painting piece, i assume the quality will get even better in the future.

Also, while i feel Dreams released at a good time, without any big games releasing at the same time, i'm rather surprised at how few votes some of the best creations are getting. I assume this didn't sell all that well? A proper game from Media Molecule with a likeable and memorable cast of characters (see LBP) would most probably have helped boosting those initial sales. Luckily for Media Molecule, they have a few new opportunities soon with VR and the launch of PS5.

There is also, as already discussed in this thread, the issue of good creations being drowned in a pool of mediocre to bad rip-offs of existing IP's. But that is an issue that comes with every creation tool, i guess. The trending tab is swamped with it. Meanwhile, original and good quality content is being overlooked and ignored. While many creators doing these quick rip-offs will probably dissapear once new games come out, it will most probably also result in good creators making original content leaving due to lack of feedback and the frustration of seeing all these quickly made games based on existing franchises doing so well. Also, i'm not saying every user created content inspired by an existing IP is bad.

It's going to be interesting to see how Dreams evolves, with VR and the PS5 release. I feel it does need more content made by Media Molecule (a re-imagining of LBP for example would probably be popular, maybe this time in 3D). But i'm having a lot of fun with Dreams right now and will keep checking out new content regularly if good content keeps on being released. It's going to be fascinating to see how this thing grows now that the game is out there and Media Molecule can focus on improving it and providing some content themselves. But yes, i'm glad i've bought it, despite the reservations i had.
Agreed with all of this....MM should certainly produce more content with the engine. Hell they should have basically launched a full game within Dreams, but because they are a small team, I guess it just wasn't enough man power. Little Big Planet 3D would be very cool for a PS5 edition.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
theres a chance that when VR is out thats when they put out their next game to showcase what people can do. and they said soon on VR so i would say thats something to look forward to.

they said in past stream months ago that they want to try to release more stuff during these patch days.

Nov 18, 2018
I'm loving Dreams but I really wish it had a favourite button so there was a convenient way to access dreams you want to play again. The follow creation button doesn't really fit, because then you end up getting a ton of notifications and it's all lumped together with followed creators, and adding dreams to a collection is just unnecessarily cumbersome. It seems like a pretty basic feature the game should have and I'm kind of surprised it's not there.

Oct 26, 2017
I need help again! Even though I've drawn up my plans for a ladder climbing function, I'm encountering problems everywhere. So, I now have a character that turns towards the ladder and locks all other controls. It moves up and plays a climbing animation while I press up. However, the entire time while it's off the ground there is a canned IK animation flailing the arms since it's considered off the ground and "falling" even though gravity is set to 0. How do I turn off this animation/keyframe? I've set another keyframe to turn off the jumping keyframes and even the entire IK for the character, but it doesn't seem like I caught it. Are there any other keyframes hidden away in the puppet, or can I block it from detecting that it's off the ground?

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving Dreams but I really wish it had a favourite button so there was a convenient way to access dreams you want to play again. The follow creation button doesn't really fit, because then you end up getting a ton of notifications and it's all lumped together with followed creators, and adding dreams to a collection is just unnecessarily cumbersome. It seems like a pretty basic feature the game should have and I'm kind of surprised it's not there.

Agreed. I just made a collection (e.g favourite games, favourite showcases, ...) and i'm adding my favourite levels in there. It's the closest to having a favourite option but needs a bit more work.

Oct 28, 2017
indreams.me

Duality

Left stick and L1 for the left ball. Right stick and R1 for the right. Avoid smoke, walls and holes in this endless survival. Highest time wins.

One of my favourites so far. So addictive I can't stop playing this.

deejay8595

Oct 30, 2017
Check this out guys. Cool futuristic/adventure type of game

indreams.me

Exodus Machina

Welcome to the ever expanding world of Exodus Machina. In Episode 1, Sam investigates the death of Kazim Hassan, a wealthy resident of Hotel Tsarina. Meanwhile, a political storm brews in the colonies.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This feels like a stretch but maybe some of you know of a good starting point or tutorial or something...

Basically I need to create a lock-on aiming system that is automatic (nearest enemy threat gets targeted (green square sticks to enemy) until you either look In a different direction, back up out of range, or you destroy them)

My character is always facing the cameras direction. The lock-on needs to be line of sight based (70 degree cone of vision maybe so it doesn't target enemies out of sight) And proximity based. And most importantly. It needs to direct all weapons fire at that locked on target, regardless of whether my guns are perfectly in line with them (the bullet emitter "looks_at" the enemy maybe?)

Almost like a reverse automated gun turret I guess?

The logic stuff is a nightmare for me and any sort of starting point would be great.

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like a stretch but maybe some of you know of a good starting point or tutorial or something...

Basically I need to create a lock-on aiming system that is automatic (nearest enemy threat gets targeted (green square sticks to enemy) until you either look In a different direction, back up out of range, or you destroy them)

My character is always facing the cameras direction. The lock-on needs to be line of sight based (70 degree cone of vision maybe so it doesn't target enemies out of sight) And proximity based. And most importantly. It needs to direct all weapons fire at that locked on target, regardless of whether my guns are perfectly in line with them (the bullet emitter "looks_at" the enemy maybe?)

The logic stuff is a nightmare for me and any sort of starting point would be great.

Should be fairly easy. The targeting itself can be handled by a look-at rotator with a little extra logic to tell it when to engage ( could be as simple as having a cone-shaped triggerzone detect the enemy which activates the rotator)

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed something in that video that didn't occur to me.

As more users share their creations, there are bound to be some popular control setups, such as using Super Mario controls.

However, they're not suitable to everything. I think the best creations will be those which mix the game type and level design with the controls, and that has to be a huge challenge.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
User banned (3 days): Excessive self-promotion.
Wow wow, this is amazing! This game is inspired by No Man's Sky. So it means that you visit multiple planets but they all are procedurally generated. Not handmade before, but every planet you visit will be different in vegetation, colors, rocks, lighting, trees, layout, ...

Of course it has it's limitations, but I never would have thought that something like this would even be possible in Dreams. I was truly blown away that only one person made this. The possibilities if he keeps expanding on this game, imagine that.

indreams.me

Recursive Cascade

Explore procedural worlds to solve their puzzles and unlock their secrets. The planets and clues are different every time you play. Some bugs / persistence issues may occur, but it is largely playable.

Last edited:

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017

I think this method should work:
  • Stick a tag on the enemy and name it something like 'enemy'
  • Have the gun use a look-at rotator to target the 'enemy' tag. It should automatically target the nearest 'enemy' tag now.
  • Now you only want to turn the 'enemy' tag on when it is the within your line of sight, otherwise your gun might point to enemies that are behind you if they happen to be closer.
    • To do this you could use a trigger zone attached to your player character combined with another 'Line of sight' tag attached to the enemy. Have the trigger zone try and detect the 'line of sight' tag. The 'line of sight' tag knows when it is being detected, and so you can use that output to power on the other, 'enemy' tag.

This should make it automatically target the nearest enemy that is also within your line of sight.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
one of the better looking pinball games

indreams.me

Pipeworx Pinball

Welcome to Pipeworx Pinball!! Come on in and whack a ball around for a little bit!! Thanks for playing and have fun!! Note: Update complete! I finally added in a nudge/tilt function!

but doesn't seem to have tilt.

skateboarding game is out.

indreams.me

Animal Pro Skater

Grab a Skateboard and have fun! "REMASTER" Update - Gameplay got remade entirely - Character and Skateboard Creator - 3 Stages - Free Skate, Highscore and Challenge mode - Photo Mode

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching a bunch of the MM jam videos of months past, so many examples of how one person can do create so much within an hour's time.

I tried creating a super mario galaxy type thing, just a mass in "space" that can be walked all over. Since I didn't have enough time to drill into a puppet, I just tried basically with a controlled ball. With global disabling of gravity and an array of cloned force push gadgets I got close to total stickiness, but it was still wonky in control and movement.

One of the things I'm trying to keep in mind in dreams is all the potential tools and solutions. I might be able to do this using an invisible elastic that doesn't collide with anything, but is attached to an inner core that can slide around. It's fun thinking about potential solutions.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I tried creating a super mario galaxy type thing, just a mass in "space" that can be walked all over. Since I didn't have enough time to drill into a puppet, I just tried basically with a controlled ball. With global disabling of gravity and an array of cloned force push gadgets I got close to total stickiness, but it was still wonky in control and movement.
Might be underthinking this one, but you might be able to just use a follower gadget on the ball and have it point to a tag that is placed in the centre of the planet.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Should be fairly easy. The targeting itself can be handled by a look-at rotator with a little extra logic to tell it when to engage ( could be as simple as having a cone-shaped triggerzone detect the enemy which activates the rotator)
I think this method should work:
  • Stick a tag on the enemy and name it something like 'enemy'
  • Have the gun use a look-at rotator to target the 'enemy' tag. It should automatically target the nearest 'enemy' tag now.
  • Now you only want to turn the 'enemy' tag on when it is the within your line of sight, otherwise your gun might point to enemies that are behind you if they happen to be closer.
    • To do this you could use a trigger zone attached to your player character combined with another 'Line of sight' tag attached to the enemy. Have the trigger zone try and detect the 'line of sight' tag. The 'line of sight' tag knows when it is being detected, and so you can use that output to power on the other, 'enemy' tag.

This should make it automatically target the nearest enemy that is also within your line of sight.

thanks guys, i'll give this a go tonight. would the general "enemy" tag work across multiple enemies close together in an area? and would it lock onto the nearest? or would the system be confused and lock onto whichever enemy it felt like locking onto since they all share the same tag? i would ideally want a system that allows me to just stick a little bit of logic to any new enemy i make and it work, but i assume that's maybe wishful thinking? lol

also @ pikelet, would i be able to add the look-at rotator to the "cockpit" of my mech? so that his entire "head" (including the fixed side mounted machine guns) turns to face each enemy as it locks on?...but also have the bullet emitters themselves look-at the locked on enemy so the gunfire converges from both machine guns when fired?

it sounds like that would work in my head, but i'll have a play after work.

thanks again.

Oct 27, 2017
thanks guys, i'll give this a go tonight. would the general "enemy" tag work across multiple enemies close together in an area? and would it lock onto the nearest? or would the system be confused and lock onto whichever enemy it felt like locking onto since they all share the same tag? i would ideally want a system that allows me to just stick a little bit of logic to any new enemy i make and it work, but i assume that's maybe wishful thinking? lol

also @ pikelet, would i be able to add the look-at rotator to the "cockpit" of my mech? so that his entire "head" (including the fixed side mounted machine guns) turns to face each enemy as it locks on?...but also have the bullet emitters themselves look-at the locked on enemy so the gunfire converges from both machine guns when fired?

thanks again.
It will always point at the closest tag

Oct 28, 2017
How do you give a puppet tank controls? I'm trying to make it so that pushing left or right will just rotate the player while standing still, not actually move them. I can make it so forward and back just go forward and back, but can't see how to get the turning to work. I thought it would be as simple as putting a rotator on the puppet microchip and attaching it to the controller sensor but nope.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017

thanks again.
No worries!

I would probably bolt the upper and lower part of the mech so that you can define how the mech moves. Then when you chuck a look at rotator on the entire upper section it should rotate to face the enemy tag. You can definitely also do the same method for the guns themselves to have them rotate independently of the body.

How do you give a puppet tank controls? I'm trying to make it so that pushing left or right will just rotate the player while standing still, not actually move them. I can make it so forward and back just go forward and back, but can't see how to get the turning to work. I thought it would be as simple as putting a rotator on the puppet microchip and attaching it to the controller sensor but nope.
Make sure you are using the 'local' joystick output so that it is independent of the camera, and make sure you use a splitter so that you can extract just the x values (aka left to right movement) of the joystick before you plug it in to a rotator.
EDIT: Also, make sure the rotator is also set to 'local space', otherwise it will always rotate in relation to the world rather than to the direction the puppet is facing.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Beyond the Nightmare full demo walkthrough from the creator.

indreams.me

Beyond the Nightmare

/!\ NEW HORROR GAME RELEASE /!\ -NOSTALGIA TAPE- CHECH MY PROFIL :} REBOOT IN PROGRESS Sam is having headache and strange voices in his head. He decided to left the refectory, but losing consciousness and wake up in a strange pl

Oct 27, 2017
Might be underthinking this one, but you might be able to just use a follower gadget on the ball and have it point to a tag that is placed in the centre of the planet.

Yeah I've done this in other things. If the planet was completely round it would work, but I'm experimenting with a bean-shaped or pill-capsule-shaped type mass,. Following a tag has the ball roll towards the tag in the central point as you'd expect, when I just want it to stay in place on the surface of the mass no matter it's location on the surface. Maybe a series of tags in the lateral core of the mass would get it closer.

Then it would be on to figuring out how to keep a puppet's orientation to the mass while preserving the puppet's own physics and movement characteristics. I haven't even gotten hands-on into any puppet stuff yet beyond the tutorials.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
im not at my ps4 but is this remixable?

indreams.me

A Little Place In Outer Space

Warning: This level will be difficult for players susceptible to motion sickness.<br><br>🏠 A home in the expanse<br>🌌 Alone in the galaxy<br>🛋️ Warmth and comfort<br>🌏 Beauty of nature<br>❤️ I hope you'll come visit again soon.
indreams.me

A Little Place <br>In Outer Space

Warning: This level will be difficult for players susceptible to motion sickness.<br><br>🏠 A home in the expanse<br>🌌 Alone in the galaxy<br>🛋️ Warmth and comfort<br>🌏 Beauty of nature<br>❤️ I hope you'll come visit again soon.

Phort may have a logic for what youre needing.

if not you can probably message him for help.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
im not at my ps4 but is this remixable?

indreams.me

A Little Place In Outer Space

indreams.me

A Little Place <br>In Outer Space

I believe so, yes.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No worries!

I would probably bolt the upper and lower part of the mech so that you can define how the mech moves. Then when you chuck a look at rotator on the entire upper section it should rotate to face the enemy tag. You can definitely also do the same method for the guns themselves to have them rotate independently of the body.

Make sure you are using the 'local' joystick output so that it is independent of the camera, and make sure you use a splitter so that you can extract just the x values (aka left to right movement) of the joystick before you plug it in to a rotator.

Ok. So I tried this stuff. And it feels like it should work but it isn't. My mechs "head" is just going floppy whenever it comes into proximity to detect the "enemy" tag. Lol. I know the mech can look at a target how I want it to because it keeps looking at my imp when I float it in front of the mech during editing... But I just can't seem to get it to want to look at an enemy. It's so frustrating. Lol.

Nov 2, 2018
The creator of Sharky's Adventure got in touch with us to play their level, it's a solid platformer but the most impressive thing about it was they made it in only 9 days for a competition which really shows off the creation speed possible:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You'd think for a game that touts creativity as the driving force behind it they'd let us customise our imps specifically ... 😥

otherwise I'm in love with Dreams.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of good dreams here but they seem nowhere in the dream search engine

I feel like the search needs an overhaul. Its also too dark and doesnt nicely show things

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. So I tried this stuff. And it feels like it should work but it isn't. My mechs "head" is just going floppy whenever it comes into proximity to detect the "enemy" tag. Lol. I know the mech can look at a target how I want it to because it keeps looking at my imp when I float it in front of the mech during editing... But I just can't seem to get it to want to look at an enemy. It's so frustrating. Lol.
I made a quick prototype mech so you can see how it works:
indreams.me

Mech Prototype

Mech Prototype is a scene made in Dreams.
I used strings to get the guns to move independently, but you'd be able to get a cooler effect by combining a few bolts so that it moves more mechanically.

If the mech's head is flopping off I suspect it might have something to do with the bolts. Make sure the parent and child bolts are correct: you want the lower mech to be parent of the upper mech, and the upper mech to be parents of the gun arms.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know when online is coming? Has MM said?

Anyone know how to get a good looking "clay" effect for the world?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I made a quick prototype mech so you can see how it works:
indreams.me

Mech Prototype

Mech Prototype is a scene made in Dreams.
I used strings to get the guns to move independently, but you'd be able to get a cooler effect by combining a few bolts so that it moves more mechanically.

If the mech's head is flopping off I suspect it might have something to do with the bolts. Make sure the parent and child bolts are correct: you want the lower mech to be parent of the upper mech, and the upper mech to be parents of the gun arms.

Managed to sort it :D head tracks enemies. Bullet emitters track enemies. It's all working great. Thank you. The issue i was having was a wonky axis point on the neck ball joint. I just needed to straighten it out.

Now just need to put in ammo/health pick ups and I think I'll be ready to make a level/make some enemies. Lol.

Either that or tackle the daunting task of having it transform from mech to hover tank :/