• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
What Is the jam theme now that love is over

Oh nice! KaiFraz is the perfect Dreamer to collab with on that project. He has easily some of the best looking cartoon character recreations in Dreams by far. I've inspected several of his creations just to see the details. His Kid Goku is incredible.

indreams.me

Kid Goku REMIXABLE

The OG little monkey boy that started it all! Enjoy! ^^
KaiFraz is a genious, he already made so many awesome characters creations. It's crazy, I just don't understand how he does it so well with so much detail ...

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the plays roll-in for my community jam submission is such a good feeling. My scene would've been buried otherwise.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I think collections definitely count as creations and I even got a trophy for publishing one since it counted as my first creation or something. I'll have to see but I assume this is the case.
AHh that makes sense because I checked and the feature is locked behind completing the DeamShaper/Builder stuff. I'd started that but never really got very far as I wasn't planning on making anything. But it was simple enough - guess I'll wrap that up and start a collection.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sitting at the PC and firing Dreams at my son on the ps4 has been so much fun. Every now and agai I like to throw in Yee 'cause it never fails to crack us both up. I don't know what the fuck it is, but it's my son's reaction to it that kills me.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Sitting at the PC and firing Dreams at my son on the ps4 has been so much fun. Every now and agai I like to throw in Yee 'cause it never fails to crack us both up. I don't know what the fuck it is, but it's my son's reaction to it that kills me.
I had to look up Yee on YouTube, and not surprisingly, it's a meme.

And the Dreamake actually pretty faithful, lol.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Twilight Ghost is first-person maze Japanese horror.

The concept is simple, but straight to the point.

Escape the maze with searching & burning 3 dolls while trying to dodge the ghost girl.

indreams.me

Twilight ghost

【Twilight ghost ~黄昏鳴ル童歌~】<br>夏のある日、山奥の神社に訪れた貴方は幽霊の少女に迷宮屋敷へ誘われた。<br>幽霊の少女と遊びながら、人形の呪いを解き、迷宮からの脱出を目指す。

It has it's own intense feeling, but kinda feel sorry for the ghost... : (

Her design is adorable (albeit scary when she finds you...).

I post it again the video of it.

Nov 2, 2018
This is the toony Souls-Like we mentioned yesterday, here's a video of us playing:

I thought this was really well done. Different enemy types have purpose and you have to make sure you are parrying rather than blocking or you lose stamina and find yourself staggered and in danger. Couple of different levels and boss fights

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This stream was crazy, the stuff they were doing with just the "basic" puppet! And all that work just to get a puppet to shrug their shoulders, really neat to see what Dreams is capable of. Wish I was good at using it!

Wish there was a solid tutorial on creating a puppet from scratch

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a question about this video I saw linked on the subreddit:

I understand the point they're trying to make, but depending on how small you make the initial asset (i.e. one stone), won't you very quickly start burning through Gameplay Thermo if you've copied that asset multiple times into something like a stone wall, and then copied the stone wall multiple times? I ran into something like this when I was trying to do grass for my level. I started with a single small patch of grass, and then made many clones. Doing this though, I very quickly accrued like 20-30% more Gameplay Thermo. My solution to getting that back was to undo it all, and then instead of starting with a small patch of grass, I instead made a pretty large sculpt for the grass patch, and then made clones of that. I ended up using a little more Graphics Thermo, but the Gameplay Thermo hit was reduced by like 90% vs. what I got when I started with a small sculpt as my original asset.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a question about this video I saw linked on the subreddit:

I understand the point they're trying to make, but depending on how small you make the initial asset (i.e. one stone), won't you very quickly start burning through Gameplay Thermo if you've copied that asset multiple times into something like a stone wall, and then copied the stone wall multiple times? I ran into something like this when I was trying to do grass for my level. I started with a single small patch of grass, and then made many clones. Doing this though, I very quickly accrued like 20-30% more Gameplay Thermo. My solution to getting that back was to undo it all, and then instead of starting with a small patch of grass, I instead made a pretty large sculpt for the grass patch, and then made clones of that. I ended up using a little more Graphics Thermo, but the Gameplay Thermo hit was reduced by like 90% vs. what I got when I started with a small sculpt as my original asset.

yeah. thermo is confusing for people. especially early on. he was trying to save thermo in one area but forgot that cloning that many will eventually take a hit.
a single sculpt with varied sides would have made more sense.

i saw someone on stream that was creating in sculpt mode when he was doing a single water. he basically was stretching it out and you can see the thermo go up. but then again. he just started out and somehow went straight to the intermediate class tutorials.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why most games seem to insta-kill you whenever you fall from a great height? Is the camera just not capable of tracking a player-character that has a long, rapid descent?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
yeah. thermo is confusing for people. especially early on. he was trying to save thermo in one area but forgot that cloning that many will eventually take a hit.
a single sculpt with varied sides would have made more sense.

i saw someone on stream that was creating in sculpt mode when he was doing a single water. he basically was stretching it out and you can see the thermo go up. but then again. he just started out and somehow went straight to the intermediate class tutorials.
Ok yeah makes sense, just wanted to make sure I had all that right. Thanks.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason why most games seem to insta-kill you whenever you fall from a great height? Is the camera just not capable of tracking a player-character that has a long, rapid descent?

You can change that with the global settings gadget, but most people either don't know about it or don't care enough to change it.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
PewDiePie also made a video about Dreams. It already has about 1 million views in a couple of hours. That should be good marketing and help the game, right?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
PewDiePie also made a video about Dreams. It already has about 1 million views in a couple of hours. That should be good marketing and help the game, right?

I'm torn on this. He will do more to promote for the game than Sony has. I just hope his more toxic fans stay where they are, and that is outside Dreams.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
So I played while high and that was one of the best experiences I had lately. So many good games, art, videos. I played and loved Art Therapy or whatever the name is, watched the fucking first 5 minutes of Star Wars and jumped into Van Gogh's dreams. Holy shit.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
This make me sad that only about 1.000 people have bought the game in Japan. They have another vision on the world and would also make completely other games.

Where'd you get the 1k figure from? But yes..it makes me really annoyed that Sony has basically sent the game out with no support. Why support its development for nine years and then do no marketing?? It's so bizarre.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Where'd you get the 1k figure from? But yes..it makes me really annoyed that Sony has basically sent the game out with no support. Why support its development for nine years and then do no marketing?? It's so bizarre.

because the marketing for such a game is tricky and not comparable to any other project they have done before.
Media Molecule said themself that they are currently trying to figure out with Sony how to promote and market this game.

Another point is, that Dreams will be a longterm project, so the marketing and sales of this games will not be fixated on the launch and first weeks like with their AAA Project.
They can and hopefully will market this game over the next months and years

i agree that Sony could have done better (bigger stage presence at their conferences, a review embargo) but other than that, i don't know what else you could do

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
because the marketing for such a game is tricky and not comparable to any other project they have done before.
Media Molecule said themself that they are currently trying to figure out with Sony how to promote and market this game.

Another point is, that Dreams will be a longterm project, so the marketing and sales of this games will not be fixated on the launch and first weeks like with their AAA Project.

i agree that Sony could have done better (bigger stage presence at their conferences, a review embargo) but other than that, i don't know what else you could do
Yeah it's all a bit catch 22. I'm sorry but if they'd had a massive blow out for that release date there, then tons of people buy the game not knowing anything about it and jump straight into mostly janky experiences, there would have been a backlash and ultimately negative, potentially disastrous feedback.

Dreams is a long term project that will continue to get better and get more natural word of mouth spread over time. Every niche big and small will have content in the game eventually which will play its part in drawing a particular crowd in. It's better to have a slow and steady approach that put all your eggs in a basket that isn't even finished not feature complete yet. Dreams can absolutely be massive in even bigger ways than just as a game, I'm sure they have some ideas where it might end up going but I imagine there's a lot more money to be made down the line from Dreams as a tool, possibly taking a cut from selling stand alone titles developed using Dreams for instance. Using Dreams as a place to promote other games within Dreams as a sort of social media hub and so on. Dreams has vast potential to change the gaming landscape and Sony and MM are not rushing into things. They know they've got something special here, more than just a novelty.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, do what Sony EU did for one -- use electronic billboards to show really great dreams. Use Sony's ad agency to create some really amazing branding ads, for example show a parent and a child building a dream together. There's so many avenues and Sony just chose nothing.

And yes Dreams is (hopefully) a long-term project for them, but it's a social community and you need a good critical mass of active users to keep that momentum and fresh ideas coming. IMO we should be around 500k users worldwide right now, not 150k. It's growing slowly yes, but we don't know when that will taper off.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Hey, decided to buy this tonight, finally. Too tired to get very far but what little I saw of Art's Dreams was pretty impressive. Gonna have to take a deep dive this weekend, wanna try my hand at some nightmarish stuff

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

It's a setting on the controller sensor (that defaults to on) where the possessed character gets destroyed if it is off screen for too long. Ideally creators should replace that with something more advanced, but I guess MM have it as a default because it facilitates platforming games without too much logic around fall damage or death zones.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
okay that Ruckus - Just another natural disaster game, that did it for me. absolutely amazing, hilarious and really satisfying to play. and there's a leaderboard! bravo to the people that made it, really made my day.

Dreams rules. and to think there's so many more experiences to come.. damn. feels almost like im ripping MM off just paying 30-40 euros once lol.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018

Fucking hell. I hope this isnt where it all goes wrong. I don't want this fucker's people swamping the game. Tonight every other Dream has PDP in the title because that's apparently how to get his attention. If MM don't have some brutal moderation in place soon, this could go very wrong.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell. I hope this isnt where it all goes wrong. I don't want this fucker's people swamping the game. Tonight every other Dream has PDP in the title because that's apparently how to get his attention. If MM don't have some brutal moderation in place soon, this could go very wrong.
Why are some of you trying to gatekeep this game. Who cares if people are trying to get his attention in a title post, he's clearly a big name and there's nothing wrong with his fans playing or creators wanting to get recognition through him. Most of his fans are kids who may like something like this.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Why are some of you trying to gatekeep this game. Who cares if people are trying to get his attention in a title post, he's clearly a big name and there's nothing wrong with his fans playing or creators wanting to get recognition through him. Most of his fans are kids who may like something like this.
I want everyone to play the game, I don't want it to be about PDP.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Yep, hopefully he's got a few people to buy Dreams. Its the perfect sort of thing for content creators and streamers, when they are starved for interesting content Dreams will have more than they could ever consume.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
but his fans are the type that does stupid shit so if we get some offensive submissions flooding the dreamiverse... well we know why.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok. So I need help. I have a gun. Let's call it gun A. It's modelled, has a bunch of logic attached to it. bullet firing, overheating, reloading, sound effects, light effects. It's working exactly as I want. BUT, I need to flip the entire thing to create gun B.

So I grab it. Clone it. And then click L3. seems to have worked but the stupid ammo counter is upside down and can't be rotated. To fix that I can make a new microchip and copy paste gun A's logic across. Which fixes the ammo counter. But breaks the direction the bullets emit...and I cannot rotate the emitter to fix it. I can move it. But not rotate it...why?

Am I doing something wrong here? I just want a gattling gun on both sides of the mech and it's proving to be a massive pain in the ass!

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's all a bit catch 22. I'm sorry but if they'd had a massive blow out for that release date there, then tons of people buy the game not knowing anything about it and jump straight into mostly janky experiences, there would have been a backlash and ultimately negative, potentially disastrous feedback.

Dreams is a long term project that will continue to get better and get more natural word of mouth spread over time. Every niche big and small will have content in the game eventually which will play its part in drawing a particular crowd in. It's better to have a slow and steady approach that put all your eggs in a basket that isn't even finished not feature complete yet. Dreams can absolutely be massive in even bigger ways than just as a game, I'm sure they have some ideas where it might end up going but I imagine there's a lot more money to be made down the line from Dreams as a tool, possibly taking a cut from selling stand alone titles developed using Dreams for instance. Using Dreams as a place to promote other games within Dreams as a sort of social media hub and so on. Dreams has vast potential to change the gaming landscape and Sony and MM are not rushing into things. They know they've got something special here, more than just a novelty.

i don't even know how massive blowout would work for such a type of game.
at the end of the day a game needs to be marketable for a big audience if you wanna put a lot of cash into marketing.
Spider-Man is the perfect example for that, where you know its worth the money to have huge billboards or train stations plastered with ads.

completely agree, it's going to be the word of mouth, the community and internet that this game needs to reach a global audience.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Dreams needs all the attention it can get. It's unfortunate if PDP fans start posting offensive garbage, but I'm sure the moderation will get to them eventually.

And yeah, the trending section needs work. The algorithm seems to emphasize surfacing content that gets clicked on, rather than content that gets good feedback once it has been clicked on. It seems kind of like Kids YouTube at the moment: clickbaity cover images featuring recognizable characters tend to do really well, regardless of their underlying quality. A Spiderman game with a good cover image and <1 minute of content will have a good chance at outperforming an original game that has a less enticing cover image but a strong like:play ratio.

I think that some upgrades to the tagging system could help alleviate some of these issues. Users should be able to tell the algorithm whether something appears finished/WIP or original/unoriginal (or short/long, etc.). This would allow us to filter out the WIP and IP-theft stuff.

Loads of creations have just been spammed with random innacurate tages by the creator too, presumably because they are hoping to increase the visibility of their creation. User feedback could also help address this issue. You could prompt players to agree/disagree with the current tags, similar to how sites like TripAdvisor will ask you whether a cafe you visited has good vegan options or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
image0.png

I bust out laughing at this

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, do what Sony EU did for one -- use electronic billboards to show really great dreams. Use Sony's ad agency to create some really amazing branding ads, for example show a parent and a child building a dream together. There's so many avenues and Sony just chose nothing.

And yes Dreams is (hopefully) a long-term project for them, but it's a social community and you need a good critical mass of active users to keep that momentum and fresh ideas coming. IMO we should be around 500k users worldwide right now, not 150k. It's growing slowly yes, but we don't know when that will taper off.

those are great ideas and i don't wanna say you are wrong, but at the end of the day i don't think its that easy.
what you are suggesting sounds pretty expensive
maybe they decided to hold back the marketing money to spread it over the years instead of going all out at launch, maybe they think it's going to be easier to market the game if it has more content and word of mouth

for now its important to build a strong (even if small) passionate community, that will create the content